Introduction topic

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Introduction topic

#301 Post by Prince of Spires »

Farren Elandor wrote:Late to the party, didn't know there was a forum for High Elves! But I'm here now!
:) We're here. Glad you found us. Welcome.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Farren Elandor

#302 Post by Farren Elandor »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Farren Elandor wrote:Late to the party, didn't know there was a forum for High Elves! But I'm here now!
:) We're here. Glad you found us. Welcome.
Glad to be among my kin, especially in this bitter fight to rekindle our once great Empire!
Nusphigor

#303 Post by Nusphigor »

Hello everyone.

My name is Felipe Correal and I'm from Colombia.
I used to collect this army when 7th ed was out and wrote some fluff behind my army for a campaign we were playing with some friends but as time went by I sold the army.
Recently, I learnt about 9th age and got some high elves in a trade with a friend and was browsing this forum looking for inspiration, then found the chrace army from user Luna Guardian and it motivated me to join in.

I'm looking forward to stay active on the forums as I journey into this army again.

Cheers!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#304 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome Nusphigor! Nice to hear that you're thinking about coming back into the hobby. The 9th age is a great project by very dedicated people and it's a nice way to keep the hobby alive. And Chrace is a great province to place your army in. It's full of bad-ass elves and of course lions. What's not to like :)

Do you already have some models as a new start to your army? What are you thinking about getting?

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Nusphigor

#305 Post by Nusphigor »

Prince of Spires wrote:Welcome Nusphigor! Nice to hear that you're thinking about coming back into the hobby. The 9th age is a great project by very dedicated people and it's a nice way to keep the hobby alive. And Chrace is a great province to place your army in. It's full of bad-ass elves and of course lions. What's not to like :)

Do you already have some models as a new start to your army? What are you thinking about getting?

Rod
hey mate!
It's a nice army the one I traded but its still on the mail as my friend lives on the coast of my country.
I've been searching on ebay for Prince Althran. I absolutely LOVE that miniature!
The idea is to use a nice block of white lions flanked by lion chariots, some spearmen and bowmen and maybe something else to support like a dragon or a phoenix and dragon riders, but I haven't read the rules for 9th age yet so I don't know how to build the army :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#306 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Welcome Nusphigor!
+1

Good to have you on board.

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#307 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nusphigor wrote:I've been searching on ebay for Prince Althran. I absolutely LOVE that miniature!
It's a great model indeed. Which of course means that it's also popular on ebay unfortunately...

There's a couple around from what I've seen:
- Games Workshop - WARHAMMER 40K= WOOD ELF PRINCE ALTHRAN (might not ship to you though, you'd have to check
- Warhammer painted High Elves Prince Althran - Painted unfortunately. But perhaps more affordable. And will probably ship to you.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#308 Post by Luna Guardian »

Nusphigor wrote:Hello everyone.

My name is Felipe Correal and I'm from Colombia.
I used to collect this army when 7th ed was out and wrote some fluff behind my army for a campaign we were playing with some friends but as time went by I sold the army.
Recently, I learnt about 9th age and got some high elves in a trade with a friend and was browsing this forum looking for inspiration, then found the chrace army from user Luna Guardian and it motivated me to join in.

I'm looking forward to stay active on the forums as I journey into this army again.

Cheers!
You do me great honor, sir. We're glad to have you, and I'm looking forwards to seeing your army take shape! I would recommend also looking at some of the other armies here, as I'm by no means the best painter or the most clever modeler :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Nusphigor

#309 Post by Nusphigor »

thank you guys. I haven't been able to answer earlier as i've been busy with work.
finally my elves arrived and it is a huuuuge army, so i guess there will be lots to do for this year in that regard.
i'll make a hobby thread on the painting section to keep things nice :)

Again thank you for the warm welcome
EMERY

#310 Post by EMERY »

Been playing for about a year and gliding around the social event for several months now. I simply have a High Elf equipped power and today I venerate this preoccupation. A friend got me trapped when the last arrival of D&D was well not all that good times.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#311 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome!

WhiteWeaselStudio

#312 Post by WhiteWeaselStudio »

Hi folks.

We are a professional miniature painting studio based in Spain and we are eager to share all our commissions with you.

We do from massive armies focused on Warhammer 40K to single characters painted at high standard. We hope you like our work as much as we do painting them.

Greetings and nice to meet you all!

White Weasel Studio

Company dedicated to miniature painting, design of dioramas and scenery.

https://www.whiteweaselstudio.com/
MasterOfNone

#313 Post by MasterOfNone »

Hi everyone.
Today I finally decided to register, after reading the contents of Ulthuan.net for a while.
It feels a bit odd. Anyway...

About me:
My name is Simone. I am Italian, but I have not lived in my home country for nearly 20 years. Since 2007 I have been living in the UK near Manchester.
A couple of years ago, after talking with a friend, I restarted an interest in Warhammer, which I had stopped playing about 25 years ago, but never forgotten (I am very relieved that there is at least somebody here, I believe SpellArcher, who is older than me, if only by a handful of years!).
Back then I started with 3rd Edition with "Elves", you could field a mix of High and Wood easily. For the latter there were none of the later inventions (Dryads, etc) apart from Treemen. It must have been around '88 or '89.
Then I started spending all my pocket money on Dwarfs. I remember one epic Interrail holiday to the UK in 1991 when the last thing I did before leaving was going to a GW shop in Oxford Street and filled my rucksack with all the dwarfs I still needed to finish my list. The miniatures were a lot more expensive in Italy.
After the Dwarfs I started Orcs and Goblins. By this point I had become half decent at painting, when I look at my old elves it hurts, they were so badly painted.
Then things at Uni got tougher, relationships with girlfriends more demanding, other interests came up and the time for Warhammer dwindled to nothing. I was never that good at playing anyway. I stopped more or less at the transition from 4th to 5th edition.
In the meantime rules have evolved, fluff has been added, great games played, WARHAMMER KILLED!! Nooooo!!! How could this happen? I learned about it 3 years after the fact. So sad...

After talking with this friend, I decided to bring from my parents' garage all my old miniatures to my home in England. Some stuff got lost (old style RBT's with wheels, several minotaurs, a first edition of Space Hulk. I must have lent this stuff to someone who never returned it before I lost contact with them) but I still had lots for playing and soon started adding more "new" miniatures taken cheap from eBay.
In the nearly two years that have passed since this peculiar mid-life crisis I have painted about 150 O&G's, about 50 dwarfs, over 30 elven cavalry and a similar amount of infantry, a dragon, a wyvern (one more to go) and I still have lots to do.
I was surprised that after a few days of practice my painting skills were again at the same level as when I stopped, and have since progressed further. I have now become accustomed to acrylics, they have beautiful colours but are much more fragile than enamels, which I used long ago. Thankfully solvent fumes are a thing of the past!
My wife and daughter of 7 are a bit bemused but thankfully tolerate this activity.
I recently got a phoenix and an arachnarok and am looking forward to painting them, these last acquisitions have started considering playing 8th edition (starting only 10 years late?).
In my WHFB revival I have played only a few 6th edition games in my garage and am now looking out for opportunities to play with others - when the lockdown from the coronavirus is lifted, that is.
If and when this happens, I wonder if I will be as crappy a player as I was in my youth.

Drop a note to say hello. If you are still playing, live not too far and are looking for new opponents, I may be game (work and family commitments notwithstanding).
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#314 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome :)
MasterOfNone wrote:My wife and daughter of 7 are a bit bemused but thankfully tolerate this activity.
This feels very familiar to me. My wife is pretty much the same. :)

Try 8th edition. It's pretty good and, as long as you don't intentionally try to break the game, it is fairly balanced. And some of the new models, like the phoenix and the arachnarok, are pretty epic.

Feel free to share some pictures of your collection. I always enjoy warhammer models, even if they are O&G models ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

MasterOfNone

#315 Post by MasterOfNone »

Prince of Spires wrote:Welcome :)

Feel free to share some pictures of your collection. I always enjoy warhammer models, even if they are O&G models ;)

Rod
Thanks for the welcome, 8th edition seems an interesting game, quite different from 6th to which I have now become used. In 6th getting the charge was super important, not so much in 8th. ASF becomes even more important as a consequence and on the other hand I have no idea how the slow O&G's can cope.

I will definitely start sharing pictures of my paint work in the next few days.
Last edited by MasterOfNone on Tue May 12, 2020 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Olthannon

#316 Post by Olthannon »

Hey welcome! Your way in and out of Warhammer is very similar to mine. Lots of work and life gets in the way and then suddenly rules change and the fantasy bit explodes while you've been away!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your stuff.

Good luck!
One foot in the hobby
MasterOfNone

#317 Post by MasterOfNone »

Olthannon wrote:Hey welcome! Your way in and out of Warhammer is very similar to mine. Lots of work and life gets in the way and then suddenly rules change and the fantasy bit explodes while you've been away!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your stuff.

Good luck!
Thank you Olthannon. I notice you too have signed up after the party had long ended.
Hope to see you around the forum and, why not, perhaps somewhere for a real game.

I will certainly post pictures, as soon as I learn how to do it.
I have plenty of units to do a blog, will probably start with the elves.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#318 Post by Prince of Spires »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thanks for the welcome, 8th edition seems an interesting game, quite different from 6th to which I have now become used. In 6th getting the charge was super important, not so much in 8th. ASF becomes even more important as a consequence and on the other hand I have no idea how the slow O&G's can cope.
Yes and no. Going first still matters. But in 8th edition, any remaining models can strike back (the first 2 or 3 ranks of a unit at least). Which means that there is a lot of killing going on. Units got bigger or more deadly. So you charge 15 elves into a goblin unit. The 15 elves go first and they kill something like 10 goblins. But now the goblins can strike back. And if there were 50 goblins to begin with 10 of them can still strike back. They might only get 5 kills or just 3. But they still deal damage. The goblins lose by 4 or so, but they are steadfast, which means they test on their base (or their generals if he's nearby) LD and they get a reroll from a BSB if he's around. Which means that they likely test on 9 and are not going anywhere. Then the next turn comes around, the elves only get 12 attacks and kill 8. The goblins still get their 10 attacks and kill another 3. They are still steadfast and still test on 9, not going anywhere.

Of course, this is just an example. But it illustrates the mechanic fairly well I think. And, for me, it works. It means that a fragile, expensive army like elves needs to make sure they deal a lot of damage and don't get stuck in combat, because they can get ground down. Also, with steadfast, if the O&G have a damage dealer nearby then the goblins can hold for a turn and the elves suddenly have a unit of trolls in their flank, which evens things out.
MasterOfNone wrote: I will certainly post pictures, as soon as I learn how to do it.
You need to put the photo's you want to post somewhere online. I use OneDrive from Microsoft, but other online photo platform or sites like Imgur work just as good. There I get the image URL, which you can use to display the photo's here (using the [img] tag). Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation.

Rod

Check out my plog

MasterOfNone

#319 Post by MasterOfNone »

Prince of Spires wrote: Yes and no. Going first still matters. But in 8th edition, any remaining models can strike back (the first 2 or 3 ranks of a unit at least). Which means that there is a lot of killing going on. Units got bigger or more deadly. So you charge 15 elves into a goblin unit. The 15 elves go first and they kill something like 10 goblins. But now the goblins can strike back. And if there were 50 goblins to begin with 10 of them can still strike back. They might only get 5 kills or just 3. But they still deal damage. The goblins lose by 4 or so, but they are steadfast, which means they test on their base (or their generals if he's nearby) LD and they get a reroll from a BSB if he's around. Which means that they likely test on 9 and are not going anywhere. Then the next turn comes around, the elves only get 12 attacks and kill 8. The goblins still get their 10 attacks and kill another 3. They are still steadfast and still test on 9, not going anywhere.

Of course, this is just an example. But it illustrates the mechanic fairly well I think. And, for me, it works. It means that a fragile, expensive army like elves needs to make sure they deal a lot of damage and don't get stuck in combat, because they can get ground down. Also, with steadfast, if the O&G have a damage dealer nearby then the goblins can hold for a turn and the elves suddenly have a unit of trolls in their flank, which evens things out.

You need to put the photo's you want to post somewhere online. I use OneDrive from Microsoft, but other online photo platform or sites like Imgur work just as good. There I get the image URL, which you can use to display the photo's here (using the [img] tag). Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation.

Rod
Yes I got the importance of steadfast and of the risk of grinding combats for elite troops like the elves, however if the elf player mostly clears the first two ranks of the opposition there will be no hits back.
A unit of 3-deep Swordmasters packs 5 attacks per front model, hits 2/3 of the time and wounds T4 (orcs) 2/3 of the time with -2 to AS (i.e. no AS for most O&G infantry). 4/9 of 5 attacks is about 2 wounds per front model. Even without rerolling missed hits (higher I, but the ASF reroll is negated by the great weapon - you know that better than me) it is an absolute carnage. Even Savage Orcs get only 1/3 of their models to hit back (assuming a shaman with Shrunken Head is in the unit) and they are all from the second rank so they only make single attacks.

Re: posting images I don't have any MS software on my Mac but I figured out after my previous post that I could use Google images.

PS: A few edits for clarity
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#320 Post by Elithmar »

Welcome! Looks like you don't live too far away from me, so maybe sometime when this is all over (whenever that is! :? ) we'll be able to get a game in.
MasterOfNone wrote:Yes I got the importance of steadfast and of the risk of grinding combats for elite troops like the elves, however if the elf player mostly clears the first two ranks of the opposition there will be no hits back.
Unfortunately this isn't true in 8th edition. Casualties are taken from the back ranks, so no matter how many enemy models you kill, every model in the front ranks will still get to fight back.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
MasterOfNone

#321 Post by MasterOfNone »

Elithmar wrote:Welcome! Looks like you don't live too far away from me, so maybe sometime when this is all over (whenever that is! :? ) we'll be able to get a game in.

Unfortunately this isn't true in 8th edition. Casualties are taken from the back ranks, so no matter how many enemy models you kill, every model in the front ranks will still get to fight back.
That's a major difference that I had not appreciated in my not-so-careful reading of the rules, it improves the game for my poor O&G's quite a bit.

Looking forward to a meetup when possible. Whereabouts are you? I live in east Cheshire near Macclesfield.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#322 Post by Elithmar »

MasterOfNone wrote:Whereabouts are you?
Near Leeds. Not exactly next door, then, but not too far away.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
EricGinn

#323 Post by EricGinn »

Hi there. Ive just newone here. My name is Eric.
Love gaming and fun activities.
Aerendar Valandil

#324 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Hi all, just reintroducing myself. As you see, I've been here for a while, as I was on the various former incarnations and lifeboats of the Ulthuan community. But for years I have mainly lurked. I've always kept painting though, consistently high elves, but with a lot of other stuff inbetween. I was always a sporadic wargamer, but the last seven years we have an enthusiastic club in Amsterdam, of which I am a founding member. The main directions are historical gaming and 40K, however. i would like to be a bit more involved in fantasy, and I do like all the above projects: the Old World is ours now!

Therefore I decided to post a bit more here, to show my troops and my painting and to get a feel for fantasy again.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#325 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome :)

All kinds of gaming are welcome here of course. But personally I do have a soft spot for fantasy. Which fantasy game are you playing?

Check out my plog

Aerendar Valandil

#326 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

I've played all editions form fifth, but very sporadically. I hadn't a club at that time and was to busy with other things (gaming and real life wise) to search and build up one.

We have dabbled at the club a bit in Frostgrave, which was easy because I have a large collection of fantasy models.

I've got soft spot for the Song of Blades and Heroes skirmish game, and play that both in the ASOBH variant in fantasy and with the Song of Drums and Shako's rules with my 'Napoleonique fantasy' models made for the 'Flintloque' game system (which was a bit clunky for what it offererd; the Song of Blades engine fits very well with the light, satirical style of teh models).

In recent years I have tried Kings of War, which wasn't for me, 2nd edition Warhammer (which was, but the campaign died out). I ve been looking at 9th Age and Warhammer Armies project (I play a lot at the club, and there is scant interest in Fantasy, and I do have a very soft spot for Napoleonics).

Recently I have a small campaign starting of in Warhammer Renaissance, possibly interspersed with other GW games to represents skirmishes and sea battles. 2 games under my belt now, and expecting more.
Ellyriel

#327 Post by Ellyriel »

Hello everyone, I am glad to join your community!

I know I am late in my reaction but I wish to vent out a little bit and also introduce myself here. My reaction is obviously at the fact that GW just basically abandoned the Old World. I have grown to love this world, by playing Warhammer, collecting my HE army, reading multiple books, etc.

I can find no explanation for their behaviour other than bottom line profits / shareholder satisfaction. Something probably had to do with the fact that "Tyrion" and "High Elves" could not be solely used by GW for commercial products. I don't know, but I imagine many discussions were held here at this travesty.

So of course, I am disappointed at the fact that they have gone crazy. From my perspective, they still had ample creative avenues to explore with High Elves and Ulthuan. What happened between releasing the excellent "Uniforms and Heraldry of the High Elves" to them sacking everything? Also (I am venting.... :D ) I am happy to see the excellent success of Total War : Warhammer and its successor. I find that having such a huge commercial success with the world that they've just destroyed for tabletop gaming is a slap in their face. People loved this world and it's long history and iconic races. Not many game worlds were this well established. Well it lives here and in our collective memories.

I would say I have a very big army. Very is relative however, so about 42 silver helms and 6 RBT to name just those. I'm not bragging but just saying how sad I find this to be. I started collecting in 1993 at the time of 4th ed.

Anyway, I wanted to vent out a little bit. I am happy to see that a community devoted to High Elves / Ulthuan exists and is alive. It brings me comfort to see that when I want to share pictures of my army, some people will appreciate. I look forward to sharing with you elves!

Ellyriel
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#328 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Ellyriel.

A lot of us do share your sadness that GW have largely abandoned the Old World and moved forward in a different direction. There is so much background and lore that so many people enjoyed and helped develop. There is some light at the end of that tunnel though, have you seen this?

http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74707
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#329 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome Ellyriel. I think many people share your feelings regarding how GW treated the old world. Still, the game is still there. It's not as big as it was at one point. On the other hand it was already declining before GW pulled the plug on WH. I personally don't believe that IP and copyright were the only (or even main) reason for GW to kill off the old world. If WH was still going strong then that would have been like killing the chicked laying the golden eggs (is that a fairytale in english as well?).

It's a shame, but you can still get games in if you can find a few opponents.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your army. It sounds pretty epic. 42 SH must have been a challenge to paint (horses take me a loooooong time for some reason....).

Rod

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#330 Post by Olthannon »

Hey welcome! Your army sounds awesome, can't wait to see your stuff!

I think the thing that bugs me the most is that they don't sell the old range anymore. Like they could have still gone find no more old world, I'd be a bit miffed but I would at least be able to buy some new in box models. It means you constantly have to look for stuff second hand which is never good and always expensive. Do GW realise how much money they would make if they just made the 8th edition stuff for all the armies still available? Even just the Empire Militia box because EVERYONE uses that for Mordheim.

It's crazy.
One foot in the hobby