Court of the Phoenix King

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Coradon Lorelian

Re: Court of the Phoenix King

#271 Post by Coradon Lorelian »

Seeing two other members of the council brought great relief to Coradon on he called to the captain to bring the ship alongside so that the members of the council could board and leave the merchant ship to its business. He then related to the two mages all that had befallen them on their journey and Altatar's present condition. He was relieved that finally someone who could understand all these inexplicable events was finally with him again.
Signature
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#272 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ele dusted his hands off and called to Tiralya, he's just finished going over reports of the spectral wolves sightings. As the thought, they were moving southwards.
As he was heading that way back to Lothern, he'd keep an eye out for them, Calling Tiralya, he made his way to the balcony of the library where Tiralya could land.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Karalael Moonsinger
Chronicler

#273 Post by Karalael Moonsinger »

Karalael looked across the gangplank before stalking across, upon crossing, he turned towards the Ellyrian Prince as he listened, with growing trepidation, to what the younger elf had encountered and the strangeness surrounding Altatar. When Coradon mentioned that Altatar wanted to break a seal, he couldn't help but interrupt, "A seal, do you know what kind, magical or personal? Actually, wait a moment before you answer." He looked over at Laicamir, waving, both to get the Archmage's attention as well as to beckon him over. When the Tiranoci made his way over, he invited Coradon to continue.
[quote="rdghuizing"]
Besides, the battle of Finuval Plain was more a minor skirmish anyway. A good enough summary would have been "Teclis and Malekith ran into each other. Teclis cast The Dwellers Below on Malekith with IF, and Malekith failed his Strength test." Not much more to it then that really.[/quote]
Laicamir

#274 Post by Laicamir »

Laicamir walks over, still highly confused as to what is going on. He has been highly confused and disoriented since the ritual in the tower.
"Hello, ah, friends, how are you?"
[color=#400080]'What errand have you, Dark Elf, in my lands?' - Curufin[/color]
Coradon Lorelian

#275 Post by Coradon Lorelian »

I'm well to be honest I'm doing better now that someone with the knowledge of the arcane is here. Laicamir if you need to go below and rest my cabin is at your disposal. Karalael we have heard it on the wind and in our dreams. It was saying to release the evil. Also Altatar has not awakened in quite some time. My friends I stand ready to help you out however I may.
Signature
Laicamir

#276 Post by Laicamir »

"Thank You, will you join us on our search for this sigil? If so then we need not return to Lothen at all."
Coradon Lorelian

#277 Post by Coradon Lorelian »

My Friends it would be my honor.
Signature
Shadow star

#278 Post by Shadow star »

Izen bids his farewell to the captain and the mage, thanking them for there services. "Sail as soon as you are ready. I shall sort out my own transport back. Farewell and may Morrag-Hei smile upon your journey."
With that done, he turns to Grey. "Let us run old friend. The wild awaits!" he grins and the pair of them set of at a sprint. They speed through the city, leaping and jumping - moving as swiftly and silently as shadows. A laugh escapes Izens lips and Grey grins as best a wolf can. In less than no time they are out of the city and running amongst the forests. They leave little trace, barely bending a blade of grass.
It's been too long. Izen thought.
[i]The shadow of war is cast long in the dying light of peace.[/i]
Karalael Moonsinger
Chronicler

#279 Post by Karalael Moonsinger »

"If we are going to search straight away, might I suggest that we write to the Tower and Lothern to inform them of our decision, as well as one to Lord Elessehta for knowledge about Yvresse and the quickest route to where you believe the sigil to be?" Looking from one to the other, he leans back against the rail, awaiting their answer.
[quote="rdghuizing"]
Besides, the battle of Finuval Plain was more a minor skirmish anyway. A good enough summary would have been "Teclis and Malekith ran into each other. Teclis cast The Dwellers Below on Malekith with IF, and Malekith failed his Strength test." Not much more to it then that really.[/quote]
Coradon Lorelian

#280 Post by Coradon Lorelian »

I agree Karalael, Iwill have my men arrive with steeds of Ellyrion to speed us our journey. I will also have the captain deliver Altatar to Aicanor as she may have some way of helping him.
Signature
draxynnic

#281 Post by draxynnic »

Anaril's battle instincts kick in, jumping to one side and preparing a magical defence as the light streaks towards him before he realises that the appearance of the effect does not match what would be expected from Dark Magic. Feeling a little silly, he focuses his attention and witchsight on the spell, seeking to identify whether it is intended to cause harm or not in time to complete a counter if it turns out to be hostile.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#282 Post by Aicanor »

On the wind

“Where do you need to go then?” Asked the captain of Shannar’s ship. Map of Ulthuan was spread before the assembled lords. The captain didn’t look at the map, but at the lords, who were discussing their destination, trying to find out who of them will have the final word.
“I think I can speed you up on your journey, but then I will need to return to Lothern, unless you can make other arrangements to get the mage there or somewhere else where he can get the help he needs.” He was all too happy that the voices ceased to nothing with the increasing distance from the Vortex, worried by the Great ones following the ship. They were hidden beneath the waves, peaceful so far, but the crew was well aware of their presence. The captain didn’t wish to anger them - if nothing else, it brought bad luck to the ship.
Yet, he was bidden to serve these people in their quest, and after what they all experienced, he couldn’t doubt it was important. But he will have to tread carefully...

Ar Yvrellion

Elessehta
“A letter for you, lord Elessehta,” the young lord’s butler was standing in the stable, handing his lord small scroll case sealed by the image of White Tower. The young lord was tending to Tiralya the griffon, preparing her for another long flight. She was still excited after the fight with the Kraken and was impatiently eying the sky above.
“I have a feeling this comes from your namesake,” Elessehta told to her when he was alone with her again. The delivery of this letter was certainly more conventional then Aicanor’s and no flames appeared when he broke the seal, but he knew no less magic was involved in securing its contents.
He started to read, learning in more detail than from Aicanor’s letter what ensued after his departure from the tower. A map was enclosed, showing approximate location of the red seal Laicamir found when scrying the ley lines. “The Tower would be happy if lord Elessehta could send an expedition to affirm the findings...” he muttered under his breath as he finished reading, translating more convoluted words of Headmaster Tiralya’s very courteous request into shorter form.

Izen

The Yvressii looked strangely at Izen and his wolf companion running madly through the gate (at least those few who noticed them, because shadows seemed to enclose them and hide them from most prying eyes. They run for some time more, vanishing into the light mist lining the edge of old forest, then slowed to a walk. Air in the forest was damp and it had a refreshing quality. They halted on a clearing and the wolf looked at Izen expectantly, saying “What now?” in his wolf language. Izen looked through the trees back to the white spires of the city, just visible in the haze.

Rogue Dragon

Anaril could not detect any evil purpose in the thing approaching quickly towards him. He finally recognized shape of the bird in it when his eyes got accustomed to the sudden brightness. It was high magic, mostly of protective kind, and it bore a sigil he knew.
He caught the bird in his hand and a short note unfolded in his hand and read of the findings of his fellow council members, written by Aicanor’s hand. The news would be unsettling in any other circumstance, but in the light what he just witnessed they seemed oddly detached and nothing more but scratching the surface. Anaril also noticed there was not one word of Deral Lionbane in the letter. Now that was curious...
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#283 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Addressing the Elf before him, "Send word to my cousin at the Shrine of Mathlann, ask him if he can send someone to check this location out", he said telling the butler the location on the map.
"I'll make my way north, perhaps stopping in Tor Yvresse on my way to tell the Warden, maybe I could steal a quick visit with Nevernili at the same time..."
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Coradon Lorelian

#284 Post by Coradon Lorelian »

Captain take us to wherever Lacaimir directs in Yvresse and then please deliver Altatar to Lothern. A unit of my families Reavers will meet you with a conveyance to carry Altatar to Aicanor's apartments. With that the young prince walked down and retrieved three messenger sprites. The three sped on their way one to the household of Silvermare in Lothern, One to Aicanor and one to his brother in Ellyrion telling him to increase the frequency of patrols. Once Morathi had caught Ellyrion unprepared this would never happen again.
Signature
Shadow star

#285 Post by Shadow star »

Izen grins. "I don't truly know." he pauses for a moment and murmurs a prayer chant.
"Loec the shadow dancer,
Constantly moving and wandering,
Guide me and my swift steps,
Let the shadows be my guide."
As he recites he turns, feeling his feet move towards the nearest source of adventure and danger. "The thing with being a wanderer," he tells Grey "is that I may not allways get to where I want to be - but I allways get to where I need to be."As he runs, he feels the welcoming presence of the forest shadows. This was his domain.
Laicamir

#286 Post by Laicamir »

Laicamir, with great difficulty, drags one of the chairs which were on board the ship next to the ship's wheel and spreads his map out.
"I will show you where we can find this abomination"
Laicamir has become very weak physically, barely able to stand.
draxynnic

#287 Post by draxynnic »

Anaril scans through Aicanor's summary, mentally noting that the reports of the other members would be useful for putting together the pieces of the puzzle later, but for the moment, he had more pressing concerns. As Curranoch set the bodies of his deceased kin to rights, Anaril strode away from the corrupted monolith until he felt he was far enough away from it to safely gather the magics to send a reply. With a wave of his hand, a series of moving stars appear beneath his hand, at first appearing to be an indistinct pattern... until thin lines join the stars together into a three-dimensional constellation, the faint silhouette of a dragon appearing around it.

Found evidence that Druchii have been tampering with waystones. A previously unknown dragon nest was ransacked, and the bodies of some of the hatchlings and what I presume to be the father were used as part of a ritual to desecrate the stone. Not all of the eggs were accounted for, and the mother survived - I presume she was hunting when the attack happened, but she is untrusting of all Elves and has not been forthcoming with information. After sending this message, I will continue analysing the corrupted waystone to determine if I can safely set it to rights on my own or whether assistance will be required.

I expect similar rituals may be being enacted on other parts of the waystone network, employing sacrifices of magical creatures the traitors cannot otherwise twist to their will - adult dragons, frostheart phoenixes, unicorns, great eagles, forest spirits that have taken physical form, and the like. Attacks by harpies and other creatures likely occurred by their will.

Releasing the messenger-construct to fly out of the cave through the route that put as much distance between it and the monolith as possible, Anaril turns his witchsight back on the monolith, drawing together the winds of Azyr to cast auguries for guidance as he did so.

If any of the shades that had been tied to the waystone still lingered and remained in their right minds, they might prove valuable allies in restoring the stone. But of the eight lores, Shyish had always been Anaril's weakest, and if those spirits had been corrupted or if the Druchii ritual had put in place its own dark guardians, he might need all of the divination and abjurations he could muster to keep his soul intact.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#288 Post by Luna Guardian »

Deral remained silent for a moment more before replying "No, I will inform them. It may not be a pleasant task, but it is the responsibility of a lord of Chrace to make sure the princes of Caledor don't slumber along with their dragons." So speaking the lord of Lionstone motioned and an aide carrying a quill and parchment came forth, allowing Deral to write his warning to Ramesesis of Tir Eloc, the one Caledorian who could be counted to heed his warning. Then in a fit of mischievousness which must have been brought upon him by Loec himself he wrote several copies with varying choice of words to be sent along with the first one. All of them included his warning and admonishment that their dragons were not as safe as they should, and several held a carefully crafted series of words, which roughly untangled meant "I have a dragon egg, nyah yah nyah". The powerful head of the Lionbanes handed the messages to his majordomo who, after reading through the top one, shot Deral a disapproving glance. Deral Lionbane grinned sheepishly and shrugged "They're bound to find out about it eventually" he explained, his voice deceptively innocent.

OOC: I'm back, after finally finding a home in Munich for the rest of the year :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#289 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The trip to Tor Yvresse, wasn't often as quick as one might hope. As it happens in Yvresse, travelling normally entails entering the mist and holding your waystone tight, praying to Ladrielle that you would get to where you wanted. More often than not, you'd end up where the Lady of the Mists thought you should be.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#290 Post by Aicanor »

*I was unexpectedly out of any decent signal last week and finally caught up with you... so back to business.*

All parties

Assume Anaril’s message will reach you sometime soon, as well as Deral’s encrypted one (Aicanor is no doubt enjoying herself trying to decode that one... life is too simple in Lothern).

Anaril’s star dragon message:

Found evidence that Druchii have been tampering with waystones. A previously unknown dragon nest was ransacked, and the bodies of some of the hatchlings and what I presume to be the father were used as part of a ritual to desecrate the stone. Not all of the eggs were accounted for, and the mother survived - I presume she was hunting when the attack happened, but she is untrusting of all Elves and has not been forthcoming with information. After sending this message, I will continue analysing the corrupted waystone to determine if I can safely set it to rights on my own or whether assistance will be required.
I expect similar rituals may be being enacted on other parts of the waystone network, employing sacrifices of magical creatures the traitors cannot otherwise twist to their will - adult dragons, frostheart phoenixes, unicorns, great eagles, forest spirits that have taken physical form, and the like. Attacks by harpies and other creatures likely occurred by their will.

Dragonbane

Not two days passed and a dragon landed on Deral’s front lawn. A young one with scales glittering in the sun. He was expecting Caledorians to show up eventually, so he was not surprised. But he wasn’t expecting the guest to be a woman. And what a woman. Almost as tall as Deral with a crown of flaming red hair she made an impressive figure. When she entered the hall, led in by the majordomo, she inclined her head impatiently towards the lord of the house.
“Sirilla El’istar.” She said simply. “I come from Tir Eloc. Ramesesis thinks this a matter of utmost urgency, not fit to be solved by exchanging letters. Unfortunately,” her lips thin a little. “He has other duties to attend to at the moment.” She pauses, her eyes searching the hall. “
Where is it?”

Meanwhile the other letters are on the way to the other court members, mostly. Some, addressed to the choice “friends” of Deral’s seem to vanish mysteriously on their way. Well, will he ever wonder why they do not reply to them?

*Good to have you back on the Isle Luna.*

On the wind

The spot on the map is in the north of Yvresse, a few days march on foot from Tor Yvresse, high in the mountains (Looking at the new map, is Tor Yvresse really renamed Tor Yvraine? O tempora, o mores!). The captain thinks for a while. “I can take you to the Shrine of Hoeth and from there you can ride over the plain and cross the mountains on foot. I guess you can get all you need for the journey there.
I could then deliver Altatar to the White Tower. It is much closer than Lothern...” His voice trails off as he notices Laicamir’s obvious discomfort. There are no doubt to many troublesome mages on this journey for his taste. “Is something the matter, my lord?” he asks politely.

Ar Yvrellion

Elessehta

With the messages sent and matters taken care off, the only thing Elessehta rued was the delay in seeing his betrothed. He made a camp in a rocky valley and was about to settle for the night when he heard loud baying of a wolf. Tiralya screeched up in her tree and flexed her wings with a rustle.

Shadow Wanderer

The mist descended again as Izen run through the forest. He didn’t worry too much where he was going. The mist could cheat his senses, but Grey was firmly on track up the valley. Howls of the other wolf seemed closer now, but it could be the mist. Dark mass of a large rock appeared before them as they left the trees behind in a run. Izen slowed down, suddenly very aware of his limited field of vision. He felt alien eyes on him.

Rogue Dragon

The seeing spells indeed proved tricky. Anaril could see the winds were still acting strangely around the stone. As far as he could say, the waystone was damaged beyond repair and could still be a great danger if something, or more likely someone, tampered with the network from another focal point in it. The efforts to set the dead in peace seemed successful to him, but if he was not mistaken, something from the ritual still lingered. Yet he was quite sure he could attempt to seal the stone off temporarily to lessen the danger.
Shadow star

#291 Post by Shadow star »

Izen draws his bow and knocks an arrow. He growls, and so does Grey. As one they move towards the slab of rock. "I know you are there. Reveal yourself. I mean you no harm, unless you try to hurt me or my friend."
Laicamir

#292 Post by Laicamir »

"Yes, something certainly is the matter. Something has tampered with the waystones and I cannot think of any purpose that is not malign which would cause somebody to do so, it is highly troubling."
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#293 Post by Luna Guardian »

Deral kissed the back of Sirilla's hand and smiled. "It has been a long while since the nobility of Caledor has graced my halls with their presence milady, I hope the journey wasn't too tiring? How is your lord?" he spoke as the two walked through the entrance hall into the main audience chamber. At the direct question of the Caledorian lady, Deral feigned exaggerated surprise and ignorance "Whatever do you mean, where is what?" he asked and sat back on his throne, an amused expression on his face as he laid a hand over a velvet covered object to his right

OOC: it is great to be back :)
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Coradon Lorelian

#294 Post by Coradon Lorelian »

By all means captain take us to the shrine. Please do deliver Altatar to the tower. I will have my people meet us at the Shrine.
Signature
draxynnic

#295 Post by draxynnic »

While it was not his own specialty, as an archmage trained in the White Tower, Anaril had been sufficiently schooled in the operation of the waystone network so that, should a waystone need maintenance and he be the only mage who could reach it, he would be able to set it to rights. Of course, there is a substantial difference between the natural strain that occurs over the millennia of the Vortex’s existence, and deliberate sabotage by a malicious sorcerer.

In addition to serving as refuges to the souls of Elven dead, each waystone acted as a magnet, drawing towards it the raw magic within an area determined by the size and potency of the waystone and funnelling it towards the centre of the Vortex, while also relaying power funnelled to it by waystones further out. Viewed through witchsight, then, a healthy waystone is suffused with an aura of all eight winds of magic, connected to its neighbours by ropes of rainbow colour – brilliant white, shining gold, jade, saphhire, shadowy grey, amythyst, ruby, and amber.

Instead, the waystone oozed the greenish-black sludge of True Dhar. Over each of the dragon corpses, a mirror of True Dhar had been formed – allowing the uncorrupted magic from outer waystones to flow in, but reflecting uncorrupted magic back upon the stone. As was common for strained waystones, the waystone had attempted to retransfer the energy it had received back to all of the surrounding waystones and not just those closer to the waystone – but with uncorrupted magic being prevented from escaping, the result was the channelling of a lance of pure Dhar roiling back along each of the ley lines, while more and more energy was concentrated and compressed into the power of darkness. From the intensity of the aura, it seemed likely that the heart of the waystone may have already become

Swallowing his disgust, Anaril stepped towards one of the least corrupted ley lines, carefully drawing together the winds of uncorrupted magic – Azyr for guidance, Hysh and Ulgu to ward off unwanted attention, Ghur and Ghyran to form an anchor to the world of life, and most carefully and tentatively of all, Shyish to pierce the veil to view the spirit world.

Immediately, his senses were surrounded by the sights of battle. Warriors in Caledorian battle raiment dating from before the Sundering fought to reach each of the mirrors, but were fended off by spirits in the garb of Shades and Corsairs – likely the Druchii that had been slain by the dragons, now bound to protect the corruption that they had given their lives to create. More Elves milled around the stone itself… but having died before the days of the citizen levy, they were not warriors. Some were doing their best with ghostly buckets and shovels to save the magic that was being funnelled into the stone from its dark fate, but they were not mages either, and their efforts were like trying to hold back the ocean with a thimble. Others had succumbed to the sickness induced even upon the dead by forced proximity to the corrupting influence of True Dhar.

As Anaril watched, however, it was clear the tide of battle had turned, the spectral Caledorians pressing the ghostly Druchii against the mirrors. Catching a glimpse of spectral chains rising from the nearest mirror in a feeble attempt to grasp the increasingly distant spirit of a young dragon, Anaril surmised the reason – the spirits of the dragons had also been bound as guardians to the mirrors, and with them having been released, the protectors of the waystone had been able to bring their superior numbers and skill to bear. Within moments, it seemed likely that one of the mirrors would be reached and smashed by a Caledorian noble wearing the heraldry of a long-dead house.

It was then that Anaril came to a horrifying realisation. Each of the mirrors was containing Dhar as well as the eight wholesome winds, allowing only a fraction of the Dhar attempting to flow out to pass. If one of the mirrors was to be destroyed without proper precautions, the released magic would surge along the ley line, the sudden influx of Dhar likely shattering the next waystone in an instant.

As the noble raised his shield to slam into the mirror, Anaril hurriedly wove Hysh to project a rune before the mirror where the noble would see it, matching the projection with a desperate cry:

Danoi!”*

(For those who don’t have the heraldry book or some other source, Danoi is the rune for sleep, peace, and lethargy. In the context, I figure this is the Tar-Eltharin equivalent to calling out “Wait!” While “Elui” may be a more intuitive rune to choose, it’s association with ending might cause it to be interpreted as encouragement to destroy the mirror, not to leave it be for the time being.)
Karalael Moonsinger
Chronicler

#296 Post by Karalael Moonsinger »

Karalael watched the exchanges between the other two Princes and the ship's captain. As the captain spoke, he nodded his agreement to the plan before speaking, "Laicamir, why don't you take some rest below decks while we travel to the Shrine, Coredan, please, save your men the ride, Tor Lupa is not too far from the Shrine, I shall send word ahead of us for horses and men to await us there."

Without waiting for a reply, the Prince whisked out a scroll of parchment and started scrawling away, sending word to his steward and bodyguard telling him to send a company of Amber Wolves and a Wolf Pack with mounts to the Shrine of Hoeth immediately, when he finished, he sealed it before turning back to his allies.
[quote="rdghuizing"]
Coradon Lorelian

#297 Post by Coradon Lorelian »

Very well Karalael. The advantage of being Ellyrian is all horses speak to us. I look forward to solid land and a horses back.
Signature
Karalael Moonsinger
Chronicler

#298 Post by Karalael Moonsinger »

"Then I shall send for horses immediately, my friend" His wolfish smile came back to the fore as he started the cantrip to send the message, a less fiery version of Aicanor's messenger spell. As he finished, he looked at the Ellyrian in front of him, "So how should we pass the time to the Shrine?"
[quote="rdghuizing"]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#299 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

"Tiralya, FLY!" Elessehta yelled as he rose from the rocky ground.
Holding his Spear, he backed up against the large boulder he was using as a wind break, as his Griffon rose into the air.
She much safer in the air, and could see more too, but she didn't remain in the air for long.
Preferring to be close to her master, she lands on top of the boulder and lets everyone in the area she's there.
*Such a dramatic creature ^_^'*
Coradon Lorelian

#300 Post by Coradon Lorelian »

"I do not know my friend, It would seem that we have a while until we reach Yvresse. maybe some rest would do us well."
Signature