To the Northlands!-Gamethread

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mentheus of Caledor

Re: To the Northlands!-Gamethread

#121 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

Lenaethis thanked Kalossir for the Gauntlet. It looked quite typical of all elven magical equipment, intricate filigree, highly polished. Lenaethis was impressed.
He removed the plate gauntlet from his right arm and strapped on his newly acquired gift, ensuring the strapping was tight.

As Arken called out to Kalossir, his mind was brought sharply back to the present, and to why he was given this piece of equipment. He looked to Kalossir to hear just how far they had yet to travel.
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
The Silly Dragon

#122 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Cynthia emerged from the armoury in her new Shadow Armour and carrying her new Bow. A piece of armour that seemed to extinquish the light from around it, giving it a ghostly dark look. Her new bow she had decided to name Heartsplitter and the carvings along the shaft were full of elvish words of bloodshed and even depicted Morai-Heg heavily. A long cloak hung from her shoulders, it was a dark shade of crimson and seemed to move due to a breeze that wasn't anywhere else.

She stood by one of the walls and gave the elf Lenaethis a cold stare while she waited for Kalossir to start them on their suicide mission.
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#123 Post by Elithmar »

Selthar was far too interested in the armoury to leave. All of these magical artefacts, all with different stories. He had had to call one of the guards over to tell him about each item in turn, and the Asrai questioned him thoroughly about each one.

So whilst the others were waiting for Kalossir, Selthar was still in the armoury with an increasingly bored sword master.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Mentheus of Caledor

#124 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

As Cynthia walked past and stood against the wall, Lenaethis noticed Cynthia coldly staring towards him. It made him feel slightly uncomfortable. She seemed as though she was happy to kill his colleague, and he imagined that she held himself in no higher a standing.

Lenaethis met her gaze with his own steely eyes, his face was impassive. Perhaps it was just the way he was trained to observe people and glean what he could about them, but she did not seem to him to be a cold hearted killer, at least after he began to pick out small details about her, as he did so, his discomfort left him. He concentrated as she leered at him. He noticed the things most would be unable to see. Small hints told him more about her than she would ever say herself, small creases along her cheeks told him she once smiled, a great deal. But those muscles had not been used in an age. He had noticed the ever so tiniest quiver upon her bottom lip when she was about to unleash the killing blow on the sword master, and when she had her bow trained on Arken. It was strange. Almost as if some part of her, deep down, was different. Nonviolent... He couldnt tell what exactly, but it was interesting indeed, and was all very well concealed under her usual look of hatred and disdain.

Lenaethis was intrigued by his discovery. But he was not about to tell the others about any of it. He doubted Cynthia would leave him alive if he did...

OOC: Silly, If you're unhappy with my "inspection" e.g. the things Lenaethis is "noticing" just let me know and I'll change it. I just went with what I imagined Cynthia to be like.
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
The Silly Dragon

#125 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Cynthia felt the eyes of Lenaethis fall upon her and she immediatly looked away, that bitter thought passing through her mind once more of how she hated being seen. She was sure that this elf reminded her of someone but she coud not tell. Perhaps she had met him before or someone like him at least, then it dawned on her. There was a guard that she killed to get to a Cult leader and he looked very much like Lenaethis did. She knew he was part of the cult of excess but couldn't prove it so she murdered him anyways and was hunted down for years as a Druchii before disappearing into the wilds of Nagarythe once more.

It was not always this way, of running and killing. She was once a Handmaiden to the Everqueen herself, taking messages and words of Isha across all of Ulthuan. Helping all she could in her travels until that day when she got caught by the Druchii Shades in Ellyrion...

She quickly wiped a tear from her eye before it could drop down her cheek and hoped no one would see it, not looking around and staring out of a window as she did so. Then the memory was gone and she replaced it with thoughts of vengeance and anger, for these were her shield.

OOC: Its fine Cython, in fact it fits Cynthia perfectly.
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Mentheus of Caledor

#126 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

As Cynthia turned her head away, Lenaethis knew she wanted to hide something from him.
She would have succeeded had he not noticed a small bright momentary shine from one of her fingers after it left her face. A reflection, from a small tear she had just brushed from her face, Lenaethis guessed. It had to be. The room was bright, she was almost fully garbed in black, and nothing she wore on her hands would catch the light so...

"Very interesting..." Lenaethis thought.

He decided to give her her privacy, and looked back to Kalossir.
He felt sympathy erupt from within him as he contemplated what could possibly have happened to Cynthia. She had obviously been tormented a great deal, but that was simply true of all of the Shadows of Nagarythe, or so he had read. That was not what caused him to feel this way. He realised it was simply that when she was young she would never have expected her life to turn out the way it did.

Lenaethis stored what he had learnt in his mind and pushed his emotions to the side. He was required to be focussed for this mission, not feeling sorry for an elf he barely knew.

"Still, broken things were made to be fixed..." Lenaethis thought to himself, despite having told his mind to focus on the mission at hand.
The Silly Dragon

#127 Post by The Silly Dragon »

As the group of would-be heroes were growing restless in their wait for the quest to begin they began to bicker amongst themselves again. All the while a noble elf clad in a fine Ithilmar scale armour dismounted from his steed outside of the mansion. He took a brief time to stare up at the mansion, taking it all in before moving on. His helm was decorated with feathers and he had a shortbow strapped to his back. He was an Ellyrian Knight from Cothique and was here on Kalossir's request.

The guards opened the doors for the Knight and led him towards the group who had moved away from the armoury at last. The heroes stopped when they were approached by this new comer. Some greeted while others merely observed. The Knight from Cothique introuced himself as Finwe and spoke quickly with Kalossir for a time in hushed tones. Then the heroes were directed to accompany Finwe to the lands of Cothique where they would set sail to their first destination.

Horses were made ready for the group and there was one carriage for Kalossir and 1 other to ride in. The day was already late but they set out with haste to try and make as much distance before the sun had set.

It was dusk and the light was fading, they were not going to reach the lands of Cothique today so decided to stay at an outpost that bordered Saphery and Avelorn.

OOC: We are all travelling in a group on horseback apart from Lenaethis who rode with Kalossir inside his carriage. We are arriving at a small outpost to rest for the night, there is an elven watchtower here. Post about the journey or skip it and go straight to looking for a bunk for the night or stay up and talk to other characters it doesn't matter. This is a brief opportunity to interact with each others characters we wont be staying long.
Arratak

#128 Post by Arratak »

The journey to the outpost was uneventful, Arken was glad to be on his way. They left the mansion with rations of food and water, and Arken restocked his kit bags with various tools.

The food was good at the outpost, and the place was clean. He sat at a table near the fire in the main building with some elven wine and his pipe in his mouth. The rooms they were given were upstairs, but he didn't feel like sleeping yet.
[quote="Ptolemy"]
"My eagles are going to die. If you choose how they die, you'll win the game. If you let me choose, I'll win the game." [/quote]

[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg[/img][/url]
John Rainbow

Re: To the Northlands!-Gamethreadn

#129 Post by John Rainbow »

Alithir had cleaned and fed his horse before joining the others in the dimly lit hall. They had many miles yet to travel, keeping his mount clean and healthy now would pay dividends later on. It also kept him away from his companions. Now that their quest had truly begun, the bickering had ceased and they all remained civil. Still, Alithir did not trust them entirely.

Alithir finished his bread and savored the last of his wine. As he raised his glass, the warm glow of the fire reflected off the ring Kalossir had given him. For an instant, it seemed as though two flaming creatures chased each other around the edge of the ring. Curious, thought Alithir. The true power of the ring was unknown to him still.
The Silly Dragon

#130 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Cynthia had followed behind the group as they rode towards the Outpost. Making sure that she was at the end so she could see everyone and could not be seen which is exactly what she wanted.

When they arrived at the Watchtower she allowed an elven work hand to take her steed from her as she didn't want to look after the creature, it was a tool for ease of travel not a pet.

She watched as the others went about their business for a time before venturing off into some woods near the Mountains edge. She thought it was time to do some hunting to take her mind away from the recent events. The meeting of all these people and then that voice inside her head, the one that sounded so familiar...

She crept past an opening in the woods, a small glade with a little pool of water, took up position up a tree and waited for any sign of prey. She was a good 10 minutes walk from the camp.
Arratak

#131 Post by Arratak »

Arken sat quietly with the caladorean, smoking his pipe. He watched the elf as he wondered over his new ring.
[quote="Ptolemy"]
"My eagles are going to die. If you choose how they die, you'll win the game. If you let me choose, I'll win the game." [/quote]

[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg[/img][/url]
Mentheus of Caledor

#132 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

After arriving at the outpost, Lenaethis decided now would be the time to meditate, to rest his mind, in preparation for the long road ahead. Unfortunately the sun was setting as they arrived, and Lenaethis decided against meditating in the dark. He walked into the outpost, noticing the others scattered about the hall. He carefully chose his place, not too close as to interrupt privacy, but not so far as to be unable to hear any conversation that was to be had. He sat down, and closed his eyes, listening, emptying his mind. He picked up on the all the sounds in the room, from Arken's exhalation from his pipe, to the sound of Alithir sipping at his wine, the sound of boots marching about the outpost. It calmed him greatly to simply listen to the world.

In the morning they would leave again, ready to begin this quest in earnest, but he was willing to spend some time with the group and see what, if anything, could be gleaned about them. He could see the possibility of a friendship with the young Prince Alithir, but he was unsure about Arken's intents, and was genuinely interested in what troubled Cynthia so.

Lenaethis quietly noted to himself that she had managed to leave the party without him noticing.

"I will have to pay more attention next time..." Lenaethis smiled as he thought that to himself.
Arratak

#133 Post by Arratak »

Arken watched the swordmaster as he positioned himself at the table.
"A game of secrets the swordmaster plays, patiently watching..." thought Arken. He chuckled a little.

After a while he fetched some dice from inside his tunic.
"anyone for a game of dice?" he asked with a little smile on his face.
[quote="Ptolemy"]

Mentheus of Caledor

#134 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

Hearing Arken's question, Lenaethis looked up, interested in the human's proposal.
"I am interested in the rules of your game. I very much doubt elves and men play the same games with dice. Explain your rules and I will be happy to play the game with you."
The Silly Dragon

#135 Post by The Silly Dragon »

A deer walks into the clearing but Cynthia simply watches it have a drink from the pool and then run off as if it had heard her. She was here to hunt but it was a short stay so a big kill like a deer was not her target. A rabbit or something similar is what she was after. The spiced wines and cooked meals of the civilisation was not to her taste.

After a while she starts to sing quietly to herself, a slow melody,
"Free my mind,
Heal my scars,
Erase the past,
Dark days to forget,
And memories to last,
In my heart..."

She stopped when the deer returned and looked straight at her, as if her singing had brought it back. She stared at it as it stared at her and eventually she scared it away with some shouting. 'Stupid creatures seem like they want to die today' she thinks to herself and returns to being silent.
John Rainbow

#136 Post by John Rainbow »

"I'll play some dice, though I see by the smile on your face I might end up losing something over the game."
Arratak

#137 Post by Arratak »

"it is very simple to play my lords, and there is money to be made, however there is some risk involved. But I assure you, its all easy."

As Arken explained the game to elves and they began to play, it looked as though the elves were winning.

"this will cost me my purse before the night is out..."

But as the game ended and the players collected their money, it was not the case for the elf lords.

"I am sorry my friends, bit of bad luck there bit I'm sure you can recuperate your losses." Arken said with a sad expression. "that's just the way to dice roll I'm afraid." and with that he withdrew and retired to his room for the night.

OOC: I was gonna show you a game but it would take to long for "one night"
[quote="Ptolemy"]

John Rainbow

#138 Post by John Rainbow »

Alithir retired to his room for the evening after dining with his companions. The human especially had surprised him when they were playing dice. Sure enough he had had some luck, but he also had a quick mind and deft hands. Perhaps he would be a useful addition to the group after all.
The Silly Dragon

#139 Post by The Silly Dragon »

As the day's light faded Cynthia grew tired and had not eaten for a long time. With no prey captured she was starting to ready herself to stomach the meal and wine of the outpost. 'Its better then nothing' she tells herself as she begins to climb down from her tree. But then her ears heard a twig snap and she stopped half way down the trunk of the tree, listening carefully...
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#140 Post by Elithmar »

Of course, being a way watcher, Selthar did not go into the building with the others. Instead he stayed outside, and settled down in the undergrowth for the night. Even as he was dosing off he kept absolutely alert, and would be wide awake as soon as he heard or saw anything out of the ordinary.

He heard a twig snap after a time, and sat bolt upright. It seemed that the Nagarathi had heard it too (he had noticed her straight away - sitting in a tree did not hide her from his sharp eyes), as she stopped as she was lowering herself down from the branches. He waited with interest to see what would happen next.
Mentheus of Caledor

#141 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

After losing out on some pretty coin, Lenaethis decided that it was time to retire, as he left the main hall, he couldn't decide if the human was lucky, good, or was simply using loaded dice. Lenaethis smiled at the thought. It did not matter to him whether Arken had cheated or not. He was simply interested in whether he would cheat.

Lenaethis put this out of his mind as he drifted off to a restless sleep...
Arratak

#142 Post by Arratak »

Arken awoke early the next morning and dressed once again in his customary clothing. He pulled on his leather boots and buckled on his belts and adjusted his straps for his sword across his back, he sheathed his weapons and made for the door. He left the outpost and walked a short distance away finding a small pond.
He decided that travelling each day that the mornings were the best time to maintain his peak physical fitness, and so he began his mornings training with stretches and then he trained his hand to hand combat which consisted of various different forms he had learned from around the world.

Then after he had finished that he moved onto his blade work and performing the graceful yet strenuous moves of the various forms of swordsmanship he had learnt. After about an hour, covered in sweat and feeling good about his training he quickly bathed in crystal clear pond nearby. The water was cold and refreshing. He dressed once again and headed back to the outpost. The sun had just come up over the horizon and he went to prepare his horse.
[quote="Ptolemy"]

Yvran the Prince

#143 Post by Yvran the Prince »

Finwe entered the main room after everyone had awoken and gathered. "Everyone," he said "We will set off for the next outpost soon; once everyone is prepared. From there it is a very short trip to Cothique. Gather your things and then we ride!"
"If you spend your whole time thinking about the universe, you tend to forget the less important bits of it. Like your pants."

"Dojo! What is Rule One?"
"Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!"

-[i]Terry Pratchett[/i]
John Rainbow

#144 Post by John Rainbow »

Alithir had woken early as he was usually wont to do. He had performed his daily calisthenics and now stood ready and waiting for his companions. They were soon to set out on the next stage of their journey and Alithir was getting restless...
Arratak

#145 Post by Arratak »

Arken led his horse over next to the caladorian he was eager to get this grim business over with. Kalossir was taking his time with this all and it was beginning to get on his nerves.

He nodded briefly to Alithir and mounted his horse, adjusting his weapon straps and reins. His horse was carrying to leather packs and a canvas tent. Resting on top of that was his crossbow.

He withdrew his pipe and began to light it.
[quote="Ptolemy"]

Mentheus of Caledor

#146 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

Lenaethis rose early, and simply decided to meditate a short distance from the carriage, awaiting Kalossir to join them.
Yvran the Prince

#147 Post by Yvran the Prince »

The party set out. After a hard, but uneventful day's riding, they reached the second outpost. From there, it would be a short trip to Cothique. For now though everyone needed a rest. In the morning they would ride for the port where a boat was waiting for them.
"If you spend your whole time thinking about the universe, you tend to forget the less important bits of it. Like your pants."

-[i]Terry Pratchett[/i]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#148 Post by Elithmar »

Selthar was up early, waiting for the party to set off. When they were all assembled, he mounted his horse, and they were off.

When they reached the second outpost, Selthar once again wandered into a wood nearby, where he would spend the night.
Arratak

#149 Post by Arratak »

Once again Arken settle down at a table in the common room of the outpost with a cup of mead and his pipe.

"Kalossir, I think you should ditch the carriage. You're too slow, we shouldn't delay any longer. The sooner we get this over and done with the sooner we can leave."
[quote="Ptolemy"]

Yvran the Prince

#150 Post by Yvran the Prince »

"Your point is taken Arken. However, we will not need horses either, if you will allow me my rest," he said mysteriously, reaching for his staff.

The next morning Kalossir's surprise, and the reason for not needing horses, was revealed. He had spent the previous two nights gathering energy and preparing a great spell. Though they had travelled swiftly, they had not been swift enough, and they were still a fair distance away from the Cothiquan port that was their destination. So Kalossir used some of the power he had built up along the journey to cast a powerful version of his teleportation spell. With a gesture, he opened a portal to the port.
"Bring your horses if you would like, otherwise leave them with Finwe," he said. "When you are ready, step through.

-[i]Terry Pratchett[/i]