RP Revival

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

Re: RP Revival

#31 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Poor Lone Wolf, it's definitely out.

At the moment it looks like Pendragon narrowly wins the polls, but I'll leave this open a bit longer in case anyone else wants to chime in.
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#32 Post by Ruerl Khan »

Both Pendragon and Ravenloft sounds very interesting for me.
I love pushing around my small delicatedly painted dolls together with the rest of you.
Amun-Lothain

#33 Post by Amun-Lothain »

I would be interested, one RP is never enough. :D

I suppose I'd vote for Ravenloft as I'm a bit biased towards undead, vampires, etc., but Pendragon sounds like something unique and interesting as well.
[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1459/lvl1.jpg[/img]
Setesh Akhen-Isfet, Commander of the Heralds of Oblivion
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#34 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

ok, it looks like Pendragon is the winner, with Ravenloft a close second!

A few preliminary notes on this one...

Firstly, I'd like to know what your knowledge of Arthurian legend is, what your favourite versions are, your favourite stuff, etc. This is just so that I can make sure that cool stuff happens - if no one knows who Sir Dinadan is, I'm not going to bother making him show up a lot. If everyone likes Merlin as he appeared in Bernard Cornwell's books, then the Merlin in here might take on more elements of his portrayal. I also want to know whether people prefer a historical setting or a mythical setting for their Arthur, and how closely people want to follow the 'official storyline'. The default is mostly mythical but using a lot of historical detail, and very closely following the 'Official Storyline', which is what I'd prefer.

Secondly, a disclaimer: Pendragon is definitely an RPG for mature players. The Arthurian myths feature some fairly serious material: morality, religion, sexuality, bigotry and violence are all large parts of the storyline, and people have to be comfortable with this sort of thing going in.

Thirdly, good news: due to the unique nature of Pendragon, every single person who wants to take part can expect to be able to participate! Similarly, people who need time off are also able to take part, no problem. Pendragon focuses on year by year progression rather than day by day like in other RPGs, and it has rules for players who have to skip years. What will happen is we'll have a core cast of knights, and then the others will appear less frequently, having cameos. Most players will also have multiple knights as well. Every so often we'll have a mega-adventure where every single knight currently alive gets to take part, generally for things like the Battle of Badon Hill or the Battle of Camlann. The 'core cast' are going to be limited in scope to being British squires on the cusp of knighthood from around Salisbury; the others have more freedom (subject to GM approval) depending on when they join in the campaign.

I'll break out the rule books tomorrow morning and we can start making characters!
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Shandiar

#35 Post by Shandiar »

Sounds good, my knowledge is limited, based on a few films and the Zimmer-Bradley books, but I guess I can read up. I would like a more mythological approach.
High Priest of ASS
NoOoDLe

#36 Post by NoOoDLe »

I've read the dutch version of the story of arthur as a child and along with that watched several tv series that have violated the original stories beyond recognition... AND I'm currently working on a project for school on english literature with arthurian legends as main subject. =]

Hence, my knowledge is limited as well aside from tainted by the modern versions of the stories.

Mythological approach has my vote as well.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#37 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Sir Dinadan is a bit...silly. >_>
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#38 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

My knowledge is pretty basic - I know the mythes, I've read the wikipedia page, seen the Sword and the Stine, that sort of thing. I can read up a bit more if need be though - I'm starting my Christmas holidays tomorrow.

I'd also prefer the Mythical story - I like dragons and magic and stuff.

Other than that, I'm raring to go!
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Paraicj

#39 Post by Paraicj »

This sounds like something I could get behind.

I have a fair to middling grasp of Arthurian legend, can tell my Gawain from my Galahad. And I'm certainly mature. More so than Bob anyway.

I'd like to be included as a main character, I'm pretty vain, so a squire from Salisbury sounds spiffing.

As for the form, I think low fantasy. Not too much of the dragons and spells, but a necessary sprinkling round characters such as Merlin, Mordred and Morgana le Fay. Anyone with world-changing magics takes focus from the knightly heroes. :D

As you say Calarion, the "official storyline" is in itself a good way of doing it, without the added frills.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg11hc95.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/mora3q5k.gif[/img]
[i]Dread Lord Zakhital Goremane the Incompetent, 181 kills 5/22/11
[color=red][b]Vaul's Vengeful Villain[/b][/color]
[url=http://img3.abload.de/img/paraicamonueiq.jpg]Paraicamon, I choose you![/url][/i]
Anarion
The White Lion

#40 Post by Anarion »

Well then, count me in.

I've read several versions, Bernard Cornwell and Mary Stewart being the primary ones, as well as Mists of Avalon and bits and pieces of Morte d'Arthur. However, it's been a while and I still didn't know who Sir Dinadan was so take it for what you will. :P

Preferred Mary Stewart, just slightly over Cornwell though not by much. Cornwell is the more "realistic" version. Either way is fine with me.
Never moon a werewolf.
cidracin

#41 Post by cidracin »

Count me in as well.
My knowledge of Arthurian legends is limited to movies and and I read the Once and Future King in high school. But all this talk of King Arthur got me interested so I picked up le morte darthur at the campus library and have begun reading it :D As far as maturity goes I'm almost twenty and in college, more than enough maturity for this game. Mythical is all right with me but I agree with Paraicj while dragons and magic should definately be included but not at the cost of our heroic knights. So character creation is tomorrow morning? Do we do it by PM, Chat, thread? Looking forward to Pendragon :D
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#42 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

ok, from this thread and from MSN we have the following people who are interested:

Amun-Lothain
Anarion
Cidracin
Bob of Beleriand
Etherion Fenix
Krusader
NoOoDLe
Paraicj
Prince_Asuryan
Ruerl Khan
Shandiar

11 is too many: I'd rather have five to start with, and then introduce more later as we go. Anarion, Bob and Eth: Since you were in Storm and are in Tales, I'm afraid you'll have to be supporting cast. Just remember, that means you can be saracens, druids, picts, Irish or whatever you like when the time comes. Apart from that, anyone who has no game at the moment gets first pick over someone who does, and you can work it out amongst yourself who the first five players will be and who the supporting cast is. I'll start writing up Character Creation in a separate document, and I'll send it to everyone who's in once it's done.

Main Cast:
Amun-Lothain
Cidracin
Prince Asuryan

Support Cast:
Anarion
Bob of Yvresse
Etherion Fenix
KamikazeGoblin
Krusader
NoOoDLe
Paraicj
Shandiar
Last edited by Calarion Sapherior on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#43 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Well, I guess no RP for me right now puts me in contention :D

Soon as a sheets up, I'll fill my name in.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
KamikazeGoblin

#44 Post by KamikazeGoblin »

Is there a deadline for joining, or can you join part-way through? I'm interested but I don't have time at the moment for more than one RP, with exams heading my way fast and other commitments at the moment, but once they're out the way I'd love to join sometime :D

If not, then I'll read with intent instead ;)
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#45 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

You can absolutely join part way through as a 'supporting character'. This means you'll take part less frequently then the main characters, but you'll have more options for character creation when you join. I'll add you to the list.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#46 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

I hope a Dragon chews on you, Paraic.
NoOoDLe

#47 Post by NoOoDLe »

I'd actually prefer to be support cast.. As in, a druid perhaps. Since my knowledge and available time is limited. Could such a thing be arranged? =3

Other than that, I believe others than moi should get the first dibs on the main cast. =)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
cidracin

#48 Post by cidracin »

Well I'd prefer to be in the main cast since I have the free time to post multiple times a day even during the school year. If that doesn't work out I'd probably want to be an Irishman in the supporting cast.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Anarion
The White Lion

#49 Post by Anarion »

Totally fine. I can either be support cast or not play at all. Whatever works best for you Cal.
Never moon a werewolf.
Amun-Lothain

#50 Post by Amun-Lothain »

My knowledge is limited (I've read a few of the stories), but a little reading never hurt anyone. :D

I'd be interested in a main character, but I've got another RP going, so I won't mind waiting if I get to be Saracen or Irish. :wink:
[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1459/lvl1.jpg[/img]
Setesh Akhen-Isfet, Commander of the Heralds of Oblivion
Krusader

#51 Post by Krusader »

I can be support cast...

Maybe me and Shandiar can roll Saxon/Vikings so Cal must read more sourcebooks :P
"I am going to call my kids Ctrl, Alt and Delete. Then if they muck up i will just hit them all at once.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#52 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

The character creation rules are more fiddly then I remembered. I've almost finished writing them up!
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Krusader

#53 Post by Krusader »

Here's my character from before. I don't know how involved I'll be, or if I'd actually be a Knight or support character.

Gaius of Burcombe

Gaius was born and raised on his father's estate in Burcombe in Salisbury. His father's family is of Celtic-Briton stock (or at least viewed as such), while his mother's are of Roman-Briton. His maternal family are locally infamous for thinking "too highly" of themselves and are convinced their origins are as patricians in the earliest days of Rome, something scoffed at behind their backs.
His parents' marriage was loveless and cold. His father found comfort in the arms of stranger women, as he could not stand his wife who was an emotionally cold woman and had a low opinion of her husband, as she thought he'd married very high up and she as a consequence way down. Her husband's infidelity didn't make matters easily either, so she focused her energies on Gaius instead of taking a lover of her own. Gaius' mother was a very zealous Roman-Christian and she instilled her faith in her son, often harshly, to make sure he would not become a sinful wretch.
Gaius' childhood was thus filled with Christian and Latin studies with an emotionally distant mother and an absent father. His father could not be in the same room as his wife for too long and so left his son's upbringing to her instead. When Gaius got older, he came in contact with British Christianity that had different viewpoints than the Roman doctrine he had learned at home. When he mentioned this to his mother, she was outraged and had her son punished for "fraternizing with heretics". Gaius though found British-Christianity more to his heart, but a tragic accident made him believe that God punished him for having heretical thoughts and so he became a more devout Roman-Christian...out of genuine fear. He still on occasion feels himself agreeing with British Christian teachings, but only for a very brief moment, before he remembers the past tragedy and reminds himself that he's a sinner and must repent if his soul is to be saved.
His father died two years ago, in a brothel bed outside Salisbury, smelling of "spirits, sweat & sin" as his mother put it. To her it just reinforced her image that her husband had been a utterly pathetic sinful man. Gaius though, knows his father did not commit adultery because he was a bad man. He has heard stories of his father from people around Salisbury (both good & bad) and he knows his father was a ordinary noble. He knows his father sought the companionship of other women, because his wife denied him the same in their bed. So he has a more neutral opinion of his father.
He both loved and hated his mother, yet he did not feel too much sorrow when she passed away recently. He had her buried at her own family's estates as he feels she belongs there. The neighbours though are convinced he did not wish her ghost to haunt his estate.
Gaius finds comfort when he is riding, hunting or training with weapons and he looks forward to becoming a Knight himself. He wants to serve his liege lord to the best of his abilities. What he secretly wishes for though is that when he marries it will be to a woman he can love. But that might be hard. Gaius has not much experience with women and the upbringing from his mother has colored his view on the fairer sex.
"I am going to call my kids Ctrl, Alt and Delete. Then if they muck up i will just hit them all at once.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#54 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

My computer ate all of the progress that I'd done towards writing up a character creation guide. Obviously I haven't been feeding it well enough.

In light of this, and in light of the fact that several people in the secondary list want to be promoted, if you have a copy of the 5th edition core rulebook and are currently in Secondary Cast, you are now in the Main Cast. Can these people please help the others create characters? Anyone who needs to can grab me on MSN and (if it's a convenient time) I'll work on making a character with you.

The only part of character creation that I don't want you to do yet is the Family History rolls. I intend to do this for everyone together, at once, so you can all see where your grandparents and parents all met each other.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Anarion
The White Lion

#55 Post by Anarion »

Ok Cal, I guess that makes me in. I'll start working on a character and any of the players in the main list who either have me on MSN or want to add me can. Just make sure you send me a PM first. I generally reject friend requests unless I recognize the email address.
Never moon a werewolf.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#56 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

I've got the books too, so hit me up whoever needs it.
cidracin

#57 Post by cidracin »

How do you join MSN and are the usernames the same as they are on the site?
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#58 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

MSN - search Windows Live Messenger. MSN names can be found by profiles if provided.

As for the RP - assuming I'm in as a main cast member, I'll grab Bob or Anarion tomorrow and get it up then.
cidracin

#59 Post by cidracin »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:I'll grab Bob or Anarion tomorrow and get it up then.
MSN - search Windows Live Messenger. MSN names can be found by profiles if provided.

As for the RP - assuming I'm in as a main cast member, I'll grab Bob or Anarion tomorrow and get it up then.
I'll do it tomorrow as well.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#60 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

No grabbing. :evil: