Tales of Beleriand

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Anarion
The White Lion

Re: Tales of Beleriand

#2161 Post by Anarion »

The dwarf takes his sack from Elenquenwë slowly. "I am no orc," he snaps. "Even the most half-witted elf can tell that. If you are looking for orcs why do you pursue me? Can't you tell the difference?"

He lowers his voice. "Can I go now or do you have other questions to badger me with?"
Never moon a werewolf.
Dargon

#2162 Post by Dargon »

Uialfëa tried to speak in his most non-threatening voice to allay some of his previous violence.

"We seek only assurance that you do not intend to reveal our presence to those who would serve Morgoth", Uialfëa paused, taking a moment to consider whether to risk what he would reveal next, "We are survivors from the fall of Nargothrond, those Elves who would hew their fortress into the mountainside as your people do. It was brought low by the Wyrm known as Glaurung the Golden."
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Anarion
The White Lion

#2163 Post by Anarion »

The dwarf raised its face in fear at the mention of Morgoth and Glaurung, almost as much as the fear he had shown to them.

"I do not serve the dark one," he answered. "I am alone, alone in this land, no friends, no enemies. Leave me in peace I say, is not my misery enough?"

He shook his small sack of roots. "Let me go to my home, there I trouble no one and no one troubles me."

ooc: insight check TN 12, if you pass you sense there might be something to his last comment. Editting this in so that we don't have to delay if I'm not around when you roll
Last edited by Anarion on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never moon a werewolf.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2164 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"We are friends, though you will not consider us such. If need perchance bring you to us once more..." He pauses for a moment then nods. "Good day Child of Aule." The petty Naugrim had no mind for them and thus Angloth had no mind for him.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2165 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Something about the dwarf's words struck Alcarmor as odd. "What do you mean by that?" he asked.

ooc: Insight 9+4 = 13
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Shandiar

#2166 Post by Shandiar »

The Naugrim seemed afraid above all else. There was fear in his eyes and his actions. The minstrel nodded at Alcarmors question, there was something odd about these words for a goodbye.

"What do you mean by trouble no one? Have you done harm to any we might know?"

ooc: insight 10+3
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2167 Post by Anarion »

Fear bursts into his eyes, and anger too, at this new question. "Harm?" he asks. "I harm no one who does me no wrong. But let me go. Once I have returned to my home I'll not trouble you. Out of sight, out of mind, so they say." He looks furtive now. "You'll not see me again once I'm there."

OOC: you cued on the wrong part of his words.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2168 Post by Shandiar »

Patience calmed his voice and body. "The meaning of your words eluded me, why don't you tell us a little more of yourself and we will let you return to your home. No harm in that is there?" Elenquenwë asked quietly.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2169 Post by Anarion »

"There is nothing to tell of myself," said the dwarf. "I will not reveal my hidden home to the likes of you stinking elves." Suddenly he darted between where Angloth had just turned his back and where Elenquenwë knelt and darted off into the trees again as fast as he could go. He was heading up deeper into the rugged mountains.

OOC: run 10 to keep up.
Never moon a werewolf.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2170 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Angloth watched unconcerned as the little man ran off into the tree line. If the others were to follow, then naturally he would follow them in turn.

OOC: Total 12 for run.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Shandiar

#2171 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë wondered what Elves had done to earn such a reputation to the dwarf. He had no interest in the location of the dwarfs home, but rather an interest of his motives. His thoughts abruptly interrupted as the dwarf ran away again. Elenquenwë rose to his feet. "Should we follow?"

ooc run if needed - 8+0
High Priest of ASS
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2172 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor was unable to run fast, with his broken body, and was soon left behind.

ooc: Total 8
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Dargon

#2173 Post by Dargon »

"We should pursue unseen if we can", Uialfëa answered the bard mid-stride as he took off in pursuit, seeking the first opportunity for a more covert pursuit without loosing sight of the Dwarf, "If he bears witness to our pursuit, we will be right back where we started with him."

OOC: Rolled 7 (+3) for Insight for previous turn (on the off chance a future opportunity to use it emerges).
Rolled 5 (+5) for Run, and 7 (+14) for Stealth.
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Anarion
The White Lion

#2174 Post by Anarion »

Uialfea and Angloth are the only ones who is able to keep pace with the dwarf as he hurries away. The dwarf cannot move so fast but has the advantage of knowing where he is going and is less hindered by the brush. As the other three are lost from view the dwarf become complacent and it is easy for Uialfea to track him unaware.

The trail leads up into the higher reaches of the mountains, across a stream and then back along it until the stream resolves itself in a high, towering fall from which it spews from the mountains. Uialfea watches as the dwarf clambers up the spray soaked rocks swiftly, seemingly along a path it seems, before darting behind the curtain of the falls.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2175 Post by Shandiar »

It was hard to keep quiet as Elenquenwë and his brother helped Alcarmor in their pursuit of the others. Alcarmor guided their way as he was still the superior tracker. Soon the trail went upwards and the small trees became less dense allowing them to get a better view at the mighty waterfall crashing down upon the rocks below.

ooc: allowed myself to play for the 3 of us to continue
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2176 Post by Anarion »

By the time that Alcarmor, Ainare and Elenquenwë reach the falls there is no sign of their quarry, but Angloth and Uialfea are still there. On closer examination the falls seem peculiar. The upper part is a narrow plume, only twenty metres wide, but two thirds of the way down it is slightly wider, and the volume of water is much more intense. The bulk of the mist spraying around the falls area starts there and descends to the ground. The whole falls rises several hundreds of feet above them.

OOC: good call Shand, thanks.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2177 Post by Shandiar »

"Where did he go?" Elenquenwë said catching his breath. After a few moments he continued. "I think he is harmless, nonetheless we should investigate, mayhap befriend him."
High Priest of ASS
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2178 Post by Etherion Fenix »

He shook his head, befriending the little Naugrim did not seem to be their future. Then he raised a hand and pointed to wherre he had disappeared behind the curtain of water.
Dargon

#2179 Post by Dargon »

"The little fellow could be of great use to us as a guide. He is clearly intimately familiar with all the secrets of our surroundings, including it seems, hidden abodes of old", Uialfëa turned to the others, "He said he was alone in this place, without friend nor foe. If there are long abandoned sanctuaries and defenses here, he has little need for them, yet they would be of great purpose to the refugees of Nargothrond."
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2180 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor was the last to arrive, moving slowly due to his limp. "It is his decision to make, not ours," he said. "He does not wish us to live here; if we take his home from him, we are acting as Morgoth would. We could perhaps win his friendship for a time, but he would never truly trust us, and might betray us at any time."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Anarion
The White Lion

#2181 Post by Anarion »

Uialfea leads the climb up the slippery rocks to where the dwarf disappeared behind the falls. Looking carefully they can see that some of the stones have indeed been shifted and the formation of a crude path exists. The curtain of the falls extends away from the rocky face of the near sheer cliff behind the falls and the path leads behind it. The reason for the lower expansion of the falls is soon revealed, a secondary source to the falls vomiting out through a hole in the cliff face behind the falls. The path points directly to that but it is now wet and slick with moss. One by one the companions climb up this way, careful to maintain their balance. Alcarmor nearly slips but retains his balance. At the cave the path edges along a narrow precipice just above the rushing water and turns upward at a slight angle along underground river. Following this the companions climb slowly until they emerge in bright sunlight on top of what reveals itself to be a large plateau slowly broadening from this narrow angle where the falls are out to several leagues in either direction. The river plunges into the underground flow here, but not far away the companions can see where it branches from the same main source which itself sprays over the top of the cliff.

There is no sign of the dwarf, but the companions feel watching eyes upon them.

OOC: rolled acrobatics for everyone, only Alcarmor was near failing.
Never moon a werewolf.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2182 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"I do not think this has been a prudent idea," his eyes scan the horizon while his spirit searched for anything, else.

OOC: Total 12 for spot and rolled 9 for sense power.
Shandiar

#2183 Post by Shandiar »

"We are being watched." Elenquenwë stated the obvious.
"Master Dwarf, reveal yourself, we only wish to talk. We are not here to harm you, but we seek information about this land. Parley and you shall be rewarded with peace...and riches." Elenquenwë playing on the Naugrims greed. If he was a true dwarf, he would certainly come.

"I hope we have something for a reward." Elenquenwë whispered.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2184 Post by Anarion »

Angloth senses nothing, and Elenquenwë's suspicions prove correct. The dwarf appears from hiding nearby, his eyes alit with greed. "So you have found my secret domain," he snarled angrily. "I should have given more care to losing your pursuit in the woods."

"What would you give me?" he asks, letting his greed overrun the hate he bears for elves.

OOC: Angloth still has some fancy presents kicking around I do think, from both Nargothrond and from Ossiriand after Nirnaeth. If he wishes...
Never moon a werewolf.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2185 Post by Etherion Fenix »

So it had come to this, base bribery. Putting on as pleasant an aire as he could, he stepped forward. Rummaging through his pack he produced two items. "Both of these are wrought by my hands. This Sunflower, wrought of glass, captures her light as she sails the sky during the day. Then at night it releases a pleasant golden glow." He then brings forth the dragons horn horn. "Or perhaps this is more to your fancy, a horn made of a slain wyrm of Morgoths," he nearly spits the name as he speaks it.
Anarion
The White Lion

#2186 Post by Anarion »

The dwarf ogles the Sunflower with greedy eyes, paying little attention to the horn. "What good is a horn for one who is alone?" he asks. "But for that, that gladdens a heart. What would you know of this place in return for that prize?" he asked.

He gestured to the edge of the plateau, which lies a quarter mile away or more. "From there you can see all the land below. I know when it is safe to venture below, for the movements of any large company is easily spotted, especially when it is cumbersome orcs who know nothing of stealth."
Never moon a werewolf.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2187 Post by Etherion Fenix »

It was like dangling a string in front of a kitten. He slipped the horn back into his bag, keeping the sunflower at all times in the dwarves view. He let the others speak while the dwarf was so, enamoured.
Shandiar

#2188 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë looked at the Sunflower, his heart cried at letting it go, but the lives of the refugees were utmost important.

"Master dwarf, you have truly selected the most advantageous spot. Elves used to live here and orcs roam the plains below. What can you say of the movements of them both? Have these mountains been deserted for long?"
High Priest of ASS
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2189 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Ainare frowned, he wasn't particularly pleased with their present interaction with this dwarf, nor the tact of the discussion.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2190 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor noticed Ainare's expression and agreed with it. Finally, the two saw eye to eye on something.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot