Welcome back

Important game and board announcements and website or forum related topics

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

Welcome back

#1 Post by Ricold »

Well, that's been a rollercoaster 10 days. For me anyway.

Before I start with anything more interesting, I want to extend some very public and heartfelt thanks to Bob and Rod for helping keep me sane, Eldacar for a lot of server work that even I don't have the powers to do, and the rest of the Loremasters for re-assuring comments in the mean time. Also part way through this carnage someone hinted to me that I appear to have picked up my Loremaster's cloak again. They're right. As is Calarion, read my sig.

So, what has happened over the last 10 days? Well initially I was only going to take the forum down. Then I realised that the server needed updating, so I started updating the server. I then crashed the server something chronic. I then took full backups and asked Eldacar to do a full factory reset of the server. I then discovered that my backups were corrupted, so I re-installed the forum, and restored half from the current backup, and half from a three week old one after I did this last. I've then spent the last 3 days rebuilding as much of the missing data as possible.

However, we are back and working again! By some miracle!

Whenever we have to do a full backup and restore, there are losses. The search function invariably never works again, and this appears to be true this time too. I may work on that later. Various people's avatars never backup, or fail to restore, so if your avatar appears to have vanished, I ask that you reload it please.

Amongst the lost data, I have posts for 21 user accounts, and no accounts to go with them. All are users that registered in the last three weeks. I have created dummy accounts, you can see them here: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/memberlist ... &sk=c&sd=d . If your account has stopped working, and you registered in the last month or so and have posted, please register again and contact me. I'll integrate the two accounts so you can have your posts back.

Thinking about contacting me, in around 18 hours from this post, I'm leaving town and will be off internet for approx 4 days. I will be out of contact during that time, so if you need something, contact another Loremaster. They have my personal email if they deem it needs me.
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Larose
Chronicler

Re: Welcome back

#2 Post by Larose »

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> well done!
Shadowy member of The Mage Knight Guild

Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they least expect it.

Only in your darkest hour, will you triumph over true evil.
John Rainbow

#3 Post by John Rainbow »

Huzzah! Nice work!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Never doubted you for a second Ricold.

:)
Bolt Thrower

#5 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Way to hang in there! And thanks for the hard work to all!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
RE.Lee

#6 Post by RE.Lee »

Great job, glad to have the forum back! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
prelude_to_war

#7 Post by prelude_to_war »

Thank you Ricold & team! Nice work.

You never know what you have until it's gone!
[url=http://hoethpaintpots.blogspot.com/]Visit my painting blog[/url]
Peepster1976

#8 Post by Peepster1976 »

thanks ALOTTA for your hard work!!!!
grtzz
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
Senor

#9 Post by Senor »

Thanks..... I realized the last week, how hooked I really am to this side.... Good it is back.... :-0
Cold Phoenix

#10 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Thanks, I really missed Ulthuan while it was down. Glad to have it back and restabilised.
Teledor

#11 Post by Teledor »

Thanks Ricold. Fantastic grit to stick with it. I was missing Ulthuan for the last week or so.
IgnobleElf

#12 Post by IgnobleElf »

Really can't be said enough how much we appreciate all the effort to get our beloved forum back up. So much work to help out a bunch of internet strangers. Thanks!!
-Brian McMillen
Chicago, IL USA
Mist

#13 Post by Mist »

Thank you
Rychek
Location: Where folks know what picante sauce should taste like!

#14 Post by Rychek »

Thanks for all our hard work, blood, sweat and any other bodily fluids that may be been split/flown! :)
Rychek: he who has not an Asur name.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#15 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I must say, I did not take the forum going down well, I base coated some Warmachine, and did more work on my Dystopian Wars before touching my Elves.
Thanks for the hard work, it feels good to be back.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Facade19

#16 Post by Facade19 »

Thank you everyone for all the hard work you have done during the past 10 days. So glad that we are back up!
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#17 Post by Axiem »

Thanks to all who worked on this - glad to have the site back up and running (fingers crossed).

Axiem
fireblade

#18 Post by fireblade »

Thanks for all the work
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/afbeelding1b0f4.png[/img]
Nachri, Subcommander of the Vengeance of Vaul
11/15/8 (5 massacres), kills 227
John Rainbow

#19 Post by John Rainbow »

I noticed the site was down again the last day or two. Is there any more maintenance and downtime scheduled?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#20 Post by Ferny »

Well done on all this hard work. Though I must say, my productivity has sky-rocketed whilst Ulthuan was down...so if anyone fancies crashing it as we get ever closer to thesis d-day... :mrgreen: :wink:
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Aerendar Valandil

#21 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Great work!
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#22 Post by Ricold »

John Rainbow wrote:I noticed the site was down again the last day or two. Is there any more maintenance and downtime scheduled?
You think we schedule this chaos?

But more seriously, the downtime over the weekend was both unscheduled and unexplained. I've done nothing since the post at the top of this thread.

More site work will be ongoing, including anti-spam measures for the forum. Other sections like the library will see significant downtime, the forum should only see minimal now for the next few years.
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
John Rainbow

#23 Post by John Rainbow »

Excellent. I know a lot of people here (myself included) appreciate all that you and the other mods do to keep things going around the site. Thanks again.
Gandalf_82

#24 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Thanks for all the hard work guys, appreciate it! I haven't been on much lately and went to log in during the down time for a quick catch up only to find the site gone! So was massively relieved to find out it wasn't a permanent thing!
Casazzo

#25 Post by Casazzo »

If you need help with the phpbb-script, feel free to ask anytime per pm. I happen to have lots of experience troubleshooting our guild- and work-forums.
lost user 19

#26 Post by lost user 19 »

Hi, as i can't write any private messages yet, I see no other way as contacting you here.
Mine was among one of those lost accounts, now I'm lost user 19.

Would be great, if both accounts could be merged again and I could continue my plog and other activity in this forum...

Regards,

Avendigo
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#27 Post by Ricold »

Avendigo,

The two accounts have been swapped over. The single post above this has been lost, but when you next log in you should find all your old posts on your account.

Very sorry for the inconvenience, if you need anything else feel free to either reply or contact me (You should be able to PM now as well, sorry that is an anti-bot countermeasure)
Tahl

#28 Post by Tahl »

Is it not 10 years exactly since the previous site death and rebirth? During which you also were the knight in shining armour Ric.

Some things change, some don't.
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#29 Post by Ricold »

Eldacar wrote:And Ricold, well, you do seem to get around. You seem to be the site-fixer (Source)
John Rainbow

#30 Post by John Rainbow »

He's like the Green Knight or the Sanguinor. No one knows who he is or where he comes from. He just appears in times of need to help those worthy of saving.

(Although we now know who the Green Knight is. Boooo!)