Favourite BSB builds?

All discussions related to Warhammer: The Old World go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Csjarrat

Favourite BSB builds?

#1 Post by Csjarrat »

Not used one much in our slow grow as we've been at sub 1250pts. Now we're playing bigger games i'm interested in seeing what you guys have been running.
I saw a few folk talking about griffon BSB, chariot bsb etc in the early days post launch, people run them much now?
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Morgen

Re: Favourite BSB builds?

#2 Post by Morgen »

I am still looking at them as ways to buff troops they're inside of so one with a rasor standard for my seaguard or a battle banner for a big static combat rez troop block, etc.
bkevs84

#3 Post by bkevs84 »

Csjarrat wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:41 pm Not used one much in our slow grow as we've been at sub 1250pts. Now we're playing bigger games i'm interested in seeing what you guys have been running.
I saw a few folk talking about griffon BSB, chariot bsb etc in the early days post launch, people run them much now?
I like the griffon BSB with ToP, Seed, and Pure of heart, equipped with a lance, plate, and shield. Gives a nice little LD9 bubble, T5, terror, and if you have points the war banner or battle banner for some static res.

If you want a T6 BSB and have the points put one on a frostheart Pheonix. More points, but also T6, but looses terror.
Morgen wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:29 pm I am still looking at them as ways to buff troops they're inside of so one with a rasor standard for my seaguard or a battle banner for a big static combat rez troop block, etc.
I have found the BSB to be very soft on foot and unless in some WL with the general, they get picked out hard and fast. If you want the razor standard on a unit like seaguard, or battle banner in some PG, you are better to run it on the unit as they will have it till the last/second last model, vs the second model to die in a challange if it is on the BSB.
Morgen

#4 Post by Morgen »

I haven't gotten all my stuff together yet still, but I could see worrying about something like that. From my years of playing Warhammer Fantasy I just kind of accept all our elves die very quickly so I don't worry about it that much. :)
Csjarrat

#5 Post by Csjarrat »

Cool. I'm tempted to go chracian hunter, white lion chariot. Gets the axe for free which saves points for protective kit. first charge, close order, impact hits and all the other goodies seem fun
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#6 Post by Axiem »

Favorite: no BSB. Lots of ways to mitigate now, veteran immune to psych sisters, Pure of Heart. New break rules. Don’t need in a lot of lists.

If I have to: on Griffon or on Frost Phoenix.

Kind regards,

Axiem
Pash

#7 Post by Pash »

Csjarrat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:51 am Cool. I'm tempted to go chracian hunter, white lion chariot. Gets the axe for free which saves points for protective kit. first charge, close order, impact hits and all the other goodies seem fun
That's been my favourite so far. Stick Talisman of Protection and Regen on him and he's a tough nut to crack. Just don't go charging solo into units thinking you'll break them! Can get ground out and run down (although Stubborn helps), so be careful.

My second favourite is BSB on Barded Steed, Full plate, Great Weapon, Talisman of Protection, Regen, Battle Banner. In a unit of 10x Silver Helms with Full Command and War Banner. They can take a charge from a Dragon lord and have a good chance to either pin or win the combat. Try it!
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!
Tethlis

#8 Post by Tethlis »

Frostheart Phoenix with great weapon, Dragonhelm, full plate, 5+ Regen. Good durability vs shooting and combat, puts our S6 attacks, Toughness 6, and quick/durable enough to jump out from your battle line to intercept incoming threats, or combo charge alongside one of your cav units for good damage output, static combat res and soak up hits from a dangerous enemy character. A nice way to get monster advantages without committing to the full Star Dragon.

I would always take a BSB in ToW because break tests don't really mean much as long as you can pass your tests reasonably well. Your troops will keep fighting as long as they don't fail an unmodified Test, and you don't want to hand your opponent easy points when the difference between rolling a 9 and rolling an 8 is keeping a 400 point unit alive.
Warden of Tor Galadh
TyrrenAzureblade

#9 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Great weapon, full plate, Banner of Arcane Protection or Battle Banner, Seed of Rebirth, Talisman of Protection, Pure of Heart. I embed them in my Phoenix Guard to make them an absolute anvil. I'm still not sure which banner I like on the BSB, and which one I like in the Phoenix Guard, but I take both of those, both to deter enemy magic, and to generate extra combat resolution. Never underestimate the ability to reroll a break test and keep your expensive units on the table. I take a BSB always. And Pure of Heart gives them a nice extra ld9 bubble for surrounding units.
Ielthan

#10 Post by Ielthan »

Pash wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:45 pm
Csjarrat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:51 am Cool. I'm tempted to go chracian hunter, white lion chariot. Gets the axe for free which saves points for protective kit. first charge, close order, impact hits and all the other goodies seem fun
That's been my favourite so far. Stick Talisman of Protection and Regen on him and he's a tough nut to crack. Just don't go charging solo into units thinking you'll break them! Can get ground out and run down (although Stubborn helps), so be careful.

My second favourite is BSB on Barded Steed, Full plate, Great Weapon, Talisman of Protection, Regen, Battle Banner. In a unit of 10x Silver Helms with Full Command and War Banner. They can take a charge from a Dragon lord and have a good chance to either pin or win the combat. Try it!
I'm favouring the same cavalry BSB, but going for a lance and shield so he can get the 2+ armour save, I figure his job isn't really to do damage it's to stay alive for static combat res from the battle banner. I use just 7 silverhelms so the block is 4x2, so then you have space for something hard hitting (prince on chariot/dragon) to clip the enemy unit on the end. I'm thinking of increasing the unit to 11 (4x3) for more grinding power and unit strength for the autobreak.