1700 pts Lothern

Place to discuss army list
Silias

1700 pts Lothern

#1 Post by Silias »

Hi all,
This is my list for the first game with High Elves in 15 years. I'll be playing with old friends so I'm not looking for anything too powerful and cheesy, but don't want to bring something too terrible. Also, I'm a rather bad player so I'll probably lose with even the most broken list possible :D
My self-imposed limitations are: no dragons (but griffon is fine) and min. one of each: Sea Guard, Bolt Thrower and Skycutter.
I've read advice to use Skycutter as a mobile bolt platform, but I ran out of points in rare. So I gave it to the BSB with GW and want to use it as a flank smasher.
Also, what do you think about putting the Archmage with the Sea Guard? I'm tempted by the possibility of making them ethereal but afraid of locking my mage in combat...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

++ Characters [670 pts] ++
Noble [242 pts]
(Lance, Full plate armour, Shield, General, Griffon, Dragon Helm, Seed of Rebirth, Pure of Heart)

Noble [213 pts]
(Great weapon, Light armour, Longbow, Battle Standard Bearer, Lothern Skycutter, Seed of Rebirth, Sea Guard)

Archmage [215 pts]
(Hand weapon, Level 4 Wizard, On foot, Lore Familiar, Sea Guard, High Magic)

++ Core Units [669 pts] ++
20 Lothern Sea Guard [297 pts]
(Hand weapons, Thrusting spears, Warbows, Light armour, Shields, Sea Master (champion), Standard bearer [Razor Standard], Musician)

5 Silver Helms [132 pts]
(Hand weapons, Lances, Hooves (counts as a hand weapon), Heavy armour, Barding, Shields, High Helm (champion), Standard bearer)

5 Silver Helms [132 pts]
(Hand weapons, Lances, Hooves (counts as a hand weapon), Heavy armour, Barding, Shields, High Helm (champion), Standard bearer)

5 Ellyrian Reavers [108 pts]
(Hand weapons, Cavalry spears, Hooves (counts as a hand weapon), Light armour, Shortbows, Scouts, Harbinger (champion))

++ Rare Units [357 pts] ++
8 Sisters of Avelorn [157 pts]
(Bows of Avelorn, Light armour, High Sister [Ruby Ring of Ruin])

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower [80 pts]

Great Eagle [60 pts]

Great Eagle [60 pts]

---
Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: 1700 pts Lothern

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

A few thoughts on the list.

I don't think the Skycutter is a great mobile bolt platform. Remember that the bolt thrower you can put on top doesn't penetrate ranks. So rather, it's a single shot that can hit 1 model and do D3 wounds. It's not terrible, however, it's by no means an amazing shooting platform. I think it's role really is a mobile, flank attack, support chariot.

I think the archmage in the LSG is fine. The LSG aren't great in combat anyway, so you want to keep them away from most strong units. Which matches what the archmage wants. Your other option is in the sisters, which is roughly the same thing, except that they skirmish, which might make them a bit more mobile.

I would personally combine both SH units into a single unit. 5 don't do all that much. With 10, you have a decent, medium powered combat unit. You also save on the champ and banner for one of them, which gives you a few points to play around with (like a magical weapon and / or some protection for the BSB). Then again, I would probably also change them to a different unit, since we have better options in Special I think, and with the LSG and reavers you have just about enough points in core. But that's a personal thing.

I would personally drop the 2 eagles. Rule of thumb for me is 1 redirector per 1.000 pts. At 1.700 that means either 1 or 2. I feel with a monster lord and a flying chariot BSB you can get away with 1. Which gives you another 120 pts to play around with.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Silias

#3 Post by Silias »

Thanks for your input!
I'm somewhat limited with what I have between the remnants of my old collection and what I can get my hands on at reasonable prices. And unfortunately I don't have any of the elite infantry.
I have 5 dragon princes, so I could exchange the 10 SH for 5 DP with some magic items for the same price (Cloak of Beards maybe?). But I'm worried about handling impetuous. I'm not sure how I can prevent DPs from failing a charge just because some chaff got into their 20" charge range...
Halinn

#4 Post by Halinn »

Silias wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:32 pm Thanks for your input!
I'm somewhat limited with what I have between the remnants of my old collection and what I can get my hands on at reasonable prices. And unfortunately I don't have any of the elite infantry.
I have 5 dragon princes, so I could exchange the 10 SH for 5 DP with some magic items for the same price (Cloak of Beards maybe?). But I'm worried about handling impetuous. I'm not sure how I can prevent DPs from failing a charge just because some chaff got into their 20" charge range...
Swiftstride actually only adds 3" to their maximum charge range, even though you could roll higher. Makes it not as terrible to have to charge due to impetuous or frenzy, since you got good odds of rolling that needed 9, the opponent can't force a near-impossible charge.
Silias

#5 Post by Silias »

Oh, missed that one! Thanks! That makes DPs more tempting...