Steeds of Ulthuan - A Mounted 2k Army List

Place to discuss army list
Pash

Steeds of Ulthuan - A Mounted 2k Army List

#1 Post by Pash »

Ok, so being unimpressed by our options for shooting outside of Sisters and magic missiles, I have decided to try out something different for a change. Here is a quick and aggressive army list that is able to take on multiple dragons/big monsters at a time.

High Elf Realms

High Elf Prince 535
Ogre Blade, Dragon Helm, Charmed Shield*, Seed of Rebirth, Elven Honour (Blood of Caledor), full plate armour, Star Dragon

High Elf Noble 233
Talisman of Protection, Seed of Rebirth, Elven Honour (Pure of Heart), Battle Standard Bearer (Battle Banner), great weapon, full plate armour, Barded Elven Steed

Archmage 223
Silvery Wand, Burning Blade*, Elven Honour (Pure of Heart), Level 4 Wizard, High Magic, Barded Elven Steed

5 Ellyrian Reavers 80

5 Ellyrian Reavers 80

10 Silver Helms 283
High Helm, standard bearer (War Banner), musician, shields

5 Silver Helms 126
High Helm, shields

6 Dragon Princes 283
Drakemaster, standard bearer (Razor Standard), musician

8 Sisters of Avelorn 157
High Sister (Ruby Ring of Ruin)

The idea is to stick the BSB in with the large Helm bus, which can happily take a charge from a large monster and win out on combat res. If they roll anything higher than their modified leadership, that unit can happily run them down. This is all while you have your own Dragon flying round and picking favourable fights, as well as your Dragon Princes packing a serious punch, and your other units being able to do some decent lifting. High magic is well suited to this sort of list as anything other than Walk Between Worlds (as your mage isn't likely to be in a unit) or Corporeal Unmaking (he doesn't really want to be in combat either) is completely clutch (Fury of Khaine on a Cavalry unit is a LOT of extra attacks!) and works well in the current meta. It also has a couple of tools to deal with those pesky Fanatics as well (Tempest and Breath Weapon). I would have liked more Magic Missiles but I feel High is a much better pick for this army than the others, although I could maybe be persuaded by Illusion also as it has some very strong spells.

I would have liked to spend a bit less on Core but finding it hard to tweak things without dropping options. Razor Standard might be a bit pricy on the Dragon Princes and another body might actually turn out to be better in the long run but all of these things are to be tested out.

Thoughts welcome. :D
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!
Csjarrat

Re: Steeds of Ulthuan - A Mounted 2k Army List

#2 Post by Csjarrat »

I wouldn't use blood of caledor on the characters if I were you. They're too valuable to your game plan to risk to an early failed test into some chaff imho
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Pash

#3 Post by Pash »

I’ve played with Blood Of Caledor for a good few games now and I think the Impetuosity can be quite easily overcome. It’s really only a factor in the first turn, as I would expect the dragon to be in combat for the rest of the game, so it’s not really an issue. The edge it gives you over other typical dragon lords as well as the bonus of innate ward save is worth it in my opinion.
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#4 Post by Axiem »

Like the concept, don't really understand the purpose of the small units in this type of this. This is my current roster with the similar style of the list:

484 -- Prince, General, Blood of Calendar, on Star Dragon, Lance, Full Plate, Charmed Shield, Seed of Rebirth, Opal Amulet
234 -- Archmage, Pure of Heart, Level Four, Battle Magic, on Elven Steed, Dispel Scroll, Silvery Wand
198 -- Noble, BSB, Pure of Heart, on Barded Elven Steed, Lance, Charmed Shield, Seed of Rebirth, Opal Amulet, Rampaging Banner

283 -- 10 Silver Helms, Shields, Full Command, War Banner
126 -- 5 Silver Helms, Shields, Champion
120 -- 5 Silver Helms, Shields

350 -- 8 Dragon Princes, Champion, Standard, Razor Standard

205 -- Frostheart Phoenix

TOTAL: 2000

If you're going to play a more avoidance style, then I would go with the the 3x 8 Reaver setup instead. It's exactly the same combat resolution with War Banner in Reavers as with Helms, and you get the mobility and the shooting option instead, and it saves a lot of points.

Kind regards,

Axiem