A New Blog

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: A New Blog

#361 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks guys.
MasterOfNone wrote:bolster the artillery
This is the big one for me. At 2500 my war machines are clearly insufficient. At 2000, I'm just not sure. Sadly I'm not allowed 3 Manglers as each is a Rare choice.
MasterOfNone wrote:I am assuming all characters stay with the Big Uns?
Yes. I like the idea of Magic Resistance but believe the Ring is important. Four spells is not quite enough choice IMHO and a Flaming Magic Missile, weak though it is, can be a really useful option. If I want MR my best way might be to put it on the Warlord, which would mean dropping the Ogre Blade for a Great Weapon.
Prince of Spires wrote:Why does it need to be 8 trolls? If you drop them to 6 or 7 you can fit them in. Does number 8 add all that much?
I've seen a lot of O&G tournament lists and Trolls are almost always in 8's or 9's. Those were at 2500pts though and yes, 7 would probably be fine at 2000, maybe 6 even. 8 just plays robust enough at 2500 while 6 doesn't in my experience.
Prince of Spires wrote:Alternatively, what about bringing a lvl 2? He could carry the scroll to let your lvl4 take some different shiny stuff.
My main reason thus far for excluding the lvl 2 has been to simplify things and let me play quicker. I also feel he might be a bit of a luxury at 2000. I try to first work out the elements I just can't do without and then build the list from there. At 2500 I like him better. One problem I have is that I want to 6-dice Foot of Gork a lot but don't want to blow my lvl4 up! By adding the lvl 2 I could probably select that spell with him and maybe even take Earthing Rod to protect the unit? It's interesting.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#362 Post by SpellArcher »

Second Draft

Orc Warlord, Great Weapon, 4+ Ward Armour, MR 3 216
Orc Lvl 4, Dispel Scroll, Ruby Ring, 5+ Ward 280

Black Orc BSB, 4+ Ward, Ironcurse Icon 165

27 Orc Big'Uns, Shields, Full Command, Standard of Discipline 293
18 Arrer Boyz, Full Command 156
5 Wolf Riders, Shortbows 55

18 Black Orcs, Shields, Full Command, Gleaming Pennant 274
7 Trolls 245
3 Bolt Shooters 105

Mangler Squig 65
Mangler Squig 65
Stone Thrower 85

2004 points

Now obviously this is four points over. I've spent 504 on Core, so ideally I'd just trim the points from there but I can't see a straightforward way to do this. An alternative is to drop Ironcurse Icon if I have to. You may be right MON that the artillery isn't enough but it might be possible to swap a Troll for a fourth bolt shooter. Aside from maybe that, the list looks functional to me.
MasterOfNone

#363 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote:Second Draft

Orc Warlord, Great Weapon, 4+ Ward Armour, MR 3 216
Orc Lvl 4, Dispel Scroll, Ruby Ring, 5+ Ward 280

Black Orc BSB, 4+ Ward, Ironcurse Icon 165

Now obviously this is four points over. I've spent 504 on Core, so ideally I'd just trim the points from there but I can't see a straightforward way to do this. An alternative is to drop Ironcurse Icon if I have to. You may be right MON that the artillery isn't enough but it might be possible to swap a Troll for a fourth bolt shooter. Aside from maybe that, the list looks functional to me.
Your choices for the characters look great.
If you drop the short bows from the wolves I don't think you will miss them much.
The choice between a troll or a bolt thrower is a tough one. I might give the fourth BT a chance, these are unreliable machines that you need to have in numbers if you want to scare your enemy.
When you have other core troops painted I would consider swapping out the arrer boyz, perhaps with savage orcs.

A question about rules, specifically about characters joining units.
An infantry character whose base is larger than the troop must be placed at the edge, but what about the opposite, e.g. a goblin character joining an orc unit?
Can a goblin wizard join an orc unit and benefit from its protection (including look out sir)?
Bonus question: I see nothing forbidding a wizard sitting behind the first rank, protected from H2H combat, while still being able to cast spells. Am I wrong?
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
MasterOfNone

#364 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote:Mangler Squigs

What size round base did you put them on? I am starting to look into getting some for my army.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#365 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:Your choices for the characters look great.
Thank you MON.
MasterOfNone wrote:If you drop the short bows from the wolves I don't think you will miss them much.
I feel this is a matter of taste. Some players find them useful, others not but I like them thus far.
MasterOfNone wrote:The choice between a troll or a bolt thrower is a tough one. I might give the fourth BT a chance, these are unreliable machines that you need to have in numbers if you want to scare your enemy.
Both options probably need playtesting.
MasterOfNone wrote:An infantry character whose base is larger than the troop must be placed at the edge, but what about the opposite, e.g. a goblin character joining an orc unit?
Can a goblin wizard join an orc unit and benefit from its protection (including look out sir)?
A goblin on foot must be placed at the edge because his footprint is not compatible with the unit's. Were he riding a wolf though, this would not apply because he could simply take the space of two orcs. So long as he's on foot, a goblin would still benefit from Look Out Sir because he and the orcs are the same Unit Type (in this case Infantry).
MasterOfNone wrote:Bonus question: I see nothing forbidding a wizard sitting behind the first rank, protected from H2H combat, while still being able to cast spells. Am I wrong?
You're right. The only consideration is that the front rank needs to be full of command models and/or other characters else the wizard would be forced to move forward.
MasterOfNone wrote:What size round base did you put them on?
60mm. GW currently sell them with an 80mm base but this is post-8th Edition.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#366 Post by SpellArcher »

Getting closer with the Arrer Boyz:

elendor_f

#367 Post by elendor_f »

I really like the old-school vibe they have :D
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#368 Post by Prince of Spires »

The banner bearer is my favorite out of the unit. He has such a lovely grumpy look. And the banner matches the unit very well, even if it's simple (or maybe because it is...).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#369 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:I really like the old-school vibe they have
Thanks dude!
Prince of Spires wrote:The banner bearer is my favorite out of the unit.
Technically he's a musician Rod (he bangs the gong) and Kev Adams reprised him with a classic Night Goblin model. But he looks so much like a standard bearer that he's getting used as one!
MasterOfNone

#370 Post by MasterOfNone »

I know what you mean but indeed he (it?) looks more a standard bearer than a musician.
I like this unit.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#371 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:I know what you mean but indeed he (it?) looks more a standard bearer than a musician.
I like this unit.
Thank you MON. I pondered adding a dedicated standard bearer but it didn’t look right. The finished unit:

MasterOfNone

#372 Post by MasterOfNone »

If you feel confident with your freehand you could paint a symbol on the gong/banner to make it stand out more.
Alternatively, you could draw and paint it on paper, then cut out and glue on.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#373 Post by SpellArcher »

Ideally I think the unit would be slightly smaller, this 'standard' wouldn't look good in a unit of 25 for example. But 18 is OK I feel, I can always adjust things slightly as time goes by.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#374 Post by SpellArcher »

Had a bit of a re-think and I'm going to put the Black Orc idea on hold for now. I'm still applying the finishing touches to my other Orcs but it'll be some Goblin-related stuff after. One of the last few Orcs:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#375 Post by SpellArcher »

I left my Wolf Riders in the sun and their grass turned yellow! So I replaced it with more green and re-attached a couple of goblins who’d fallen off. There’s a pic of these very early in the blog but here’s the repaired unit for reference:

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#376 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:Ideally I think the unit would be slightly smaller, this 'standard' wouldn't look good in a unit of 25 for example. But 18 is OK I feel, I can always adjust things slightly as time goes by.
I think that if you use them in a battle they go from 25 to 18 models pretty fast, courtesy of your opponent. So I wouldn't worry about looks too much in that regard ;)

Looking forward to the goblin stuff. Though I do think we need a family picture soon as well. You've been busy since the last one :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#377 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Though I do think we need a family picture soon as well.

Sorry for the delay. This is not the best framed shot but it gives a general idea.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#378 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's becoming an impressive army. I'm debating if the troll or the big orc unit are the most threatening looking unit in there. Though the size of the manglers is deceiving. They pack more punch than you'd think. Sneaky gits...

Thanks for sharing.

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#379 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:It's becoming an impressive army.
Thanks Rod. After what seemed an eternity of painting Orcs I’m glad it actually shows some variety. Here’s how I’ve decided to go with Lead Belcher:

MasterOfNone

#380 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:It's becoming an impressive army.
Thanks Rod. After what seemed an eternity of painting Orcs I’m glad it actually shows some variety. Here’s how I’ve decided to go with Lead Belcher:

Fun model, I love it.
I have one, bought new when it was current. Still have all the crew and even the box.
Pity it has not featured in O&G army lists for decades, I would really like using it again.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#381 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:Pity it has not featured in O&G army lists for decades, I would really like using it again.
I intend to count mine as a Doom Diver.
MasterOfNone wrote:I have one, bought new when it was current. Still have all the crew and even the box.
So unpainted? You should paint it up and post it here MON!
MasterOfNone

#382 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote:
MasterOfNone wrote:Pity it has not featured in O&G army lists for decades, I would really like using it again.
I intend to count mine as a Doom Diver.
MasterOfNone wrote:I have one, bought new when it was current. Still have all the crew and even the box.
So unpainted? You should paint it up and post it here MON!
No I painted it back then! I will take a few pics and post in the next few days.
The crew was quite numerous and I have assigned it to other war machines, but from the images on the box I should be able to tell who was part of it.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
MasterOfNone

#383 Post by MasterOfNone »

Here is my very old Lead Belcher:

The two dark goblins are among the first miniatures I painted in my WHFB renaissance two years ago.
It looks like I got bored of painting them well before they were done.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Azaam

#384 Post by Azaam »

This is the first time I see this model. This is a very interesting piece of engineering :D
There's a really nice feeling about this unit. Good job.
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#385 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's a lovely piece. And I think it can work well as either a spear-chukka or a doomdiver, or, with some modifications as a snotling pump wagon. It should be a fun project.
Azaam wrote:This is a very interesting piece of engineering
I think that's a good summary of O&G engineering in general. Especially regarding the goblin and snotling parts of the army list (I don't think Orcs do that much engineering...). It's one of the things I love about the army :)

Rod

Check out my plog

MasterOfNone

#386 Post by MasterOfNone »

The box says that the lead belcher was an organ gun that was captured from the dwarfs and that the goblins learned how to use (they "extracted" the information on how to run it from the only dwarf survivor). Obviously during their ownership they must have made some cosmetic changes ;) )

While It was in no ways special when I bought it around 30 years ago, this is now a very old model that I would consider a collectable. Not very commonly found.
Therefore I would hesitate to convert it to a doom diver or a pump wagon, for these projects there are more common alternatives that could do the job just as well.
I'd rather leave it unchanged and use it as a proxy.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#387 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:Here is my very old Lead Belcher:
I love it! Especially the striking red face piece, it would be easy for this to get lost in a dark metal or somesuch. I also really like the yellow brown on one of the crew.
MasterOfNone wrote:While It was in no ways special when I bought it around 30 years ago, this is now a very old model that I would consider a collectable.
Part of the Machineries of Destruction range as I recall. There was the Skull Crusher stone thrower too and I actually have the Goblin King's Battle Chariot.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#388 Post by SpellArcher »

So I made a start:

MasterOfNone

#389 Post by MasterOfNone »

Looking good! Carry on...

BTW, what are you using to host images you post here?
All the images I posted seem to have disappeared, I cannot see them in my account on the posting website either.
The last month has been a nightmare at work, I haven't painted anything at all. The phoenix is there waiting to be finished, but cannot find the time for it.

PS: I think it was just a server glitch, all my images are now back.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#390 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's starting to look like a pretty nasty warmachine. The face on the front ties in nicely with the doom diver idea. :)

Check out my plog