Antelano's High Elves - Waaagh!

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Antelano

Re: Antelano's High Elves

#61 Post by Antelano »

Just scored a still sealed Dragon, some Shadow Warriors + a handful spare bases. I actually don't have that many models. Outside of IoB I only got some archers and the Skycutter. The backlog of stuff to paint just grew quite a bit, but I felt I had to expand the army some. Was also eyeing up some White Lions and a Chariot. Always wanted me some White Lions. But that guy was really pushing it with his pricing.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#62 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's an epic model. There is a lot of versatility in the dragon kit and you've got lots of spare parts left over to use in other places. Keep us updated on your progress.

As for pricing, yeah, the second hand market can get funny sometimes. I've seen some outrageously high prices for some models and some very cheap low ones. You've got to get a bit lucky sometimes.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Olthannon

#63 Post by Olthannon »

I really don't see why GW are continuing to sell the Dark Elf dragon on their store but not the HE one. I was away from the hobby when that stuff came out and I really want the general kit and the dragon! Where did you pick that one up out of interest?
One foot in the hobby
Antelano

#64 Post by Antelano »

Olthannon wrote:Where did you pick that one up out of interest?
Second hand market. I joined a Warhammer Facebook group and put it out there that I'm buying High Elves. Had the dragon within hours.
That's Bradical

#65 Post by That's Bradical »

The way you paint your gems and golden armour is just beautiful (everything else is great too, but they just stand out). Looking forward to seeing what you do with the dragon.
Speaking of the dragon, I recently bought one from dark sphere, but I think it may have been the last they (or any other store) had, but it may be worthwhile messaging them, if anyone else is looking for one without paying the crazy secondhand market prices.
Antelano

#66 Post by Antelano »

Man, do Sea Guards take time. Felt like I spent 30h on this single mini. And I'm not even especially happy with it!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#67 Post by SpellArcher »

Antelano wrote:And I'm not even especially happy with it!
He's really nice but then so is all your stuff Antelano!

:)

What are you not happy with? If anything, maybe the sea dragon on the shield looks a little dark but are you restricted by the white field it's on maybe?
elendor_f

#68 Post by elendor_f »

I have just discovered this thread and it's full of amazing stuff! I specially like your Sword Masters, but that Sea Guard dude is pretty cool too :D
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Antelano

#69 Post by Antelano »

Preparing a batch of models for painting that I'm aiming to get done before the month's end. That include Ellyrian Reavers, Sea Guard command group and a Bolt Thrower. And while doing that I found this hidden treasure! Totally forgot the Bolt Throwers came with x10 bases each. These might come in handy. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#70 Post by Prince of Spires »

Your paint job on the LSG model is great. I really like it. Though perhaps the difference between this one and your previous models is that it's a bit darker, with the blue on the shield and the ribbons on the spear. The SM for instance don't have this and are a bit brighter and more pristine as a result. This one is a bit grittier if that makes sense.

I do agree that they take a long time. They have heaps of fiddly bits and details which all require attention. A bit too much in my opinion, but it's a GW thing. They like making you play "hunt the gem".

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Antelano

#71 Post by Antelano »

So, I didn't paint as much as I set out to do this month. Got caught up in other things. And I literally lost days of potential painting to mixing paints. Back in the days I used Scorched Brown for my bases. But I've been out for a long time. So I had to make my own. Turned out close enough. And I'm having a fierce battle with my varnish. It dries sticky for some reason. Kinda rubbery feel. I'm using Army Painter's Anti Shine (can). Used it before, worked great, never had a problem.

Either way, this is what I've done since I got back into painting. And I'm enjoying it so far.

Olthannon

#72 Post by Olthannon »

Wow they look fantastic, nice little headswap on the bolt thrower crewman (crewelf?) and your basing looks brilliant. What do you use for the wee shrubs and flowers?
One foot in the hobby
Antelano

#73 Post by Antelano »

Olthannon wrote:Wow they look fantastic, nice little headswap on the bolt thrower crewman (crewelf?) and your basing looks brilliant. What do you use for the wee shrubs and flowers?
Thanks! I thought I butchered the basing on this perticular lot. But you can't help being overly self-critical, can you?

For basing I use: Citadel Grass and Army Painter Jungle Tufts. And to give the tufts some slight variation (mostly on bigger bases) I got Green Stuff World's Realistic Green Tufts 6 & 12mm.

The Bolt Thrower was my first experience with Flower Tufts. Also Green Stuff World. They are extremely fragile. The flowery parts comes of very easy when handled. And unlike regular grass tufts, they are very prone to smushing. I easily destroyed 2-3 tufts by simply trying to remove them from the packaging. They look good but was a nightmare to handle. Don't know if that is exclusive to GSW or if it goes for all brands.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#74 Post by SpellArcher »

Antelano wrote:Bolt Thrower
I really like this Antelano, especially the colour you’ve used for the wood.
Antelano

#75 Post by Antelano »

I've picked up some bits, bobs and thingamajigs! I should be able to complete 2x Princes, a Noble, and 2x Mages. Well, one is already built but I'm doing some alterations.
This is awesome since I didn't have anything resembling characters when I decided to resume this endeavour. Aside from the IoB Prince and Mage, that is.

I'm gonna finish the aforementioned Reavers and Sea Guards which is set up for painting. But then I'm probably gonna tackle the Princes. Honestly pretty hyped for that. I'm just having a hard time deciding how to arm them. This takes a harder toll on me than actual life decisions.
1. One is gonna be a regular Prince, all stock parts. Never been much for lances. So it's either sword or spear. I'm leaning towards the sword. But the spear seems more proper for cavalry. Hmm.
2. I'm some parts shy for the other Prince. Need to make a "custom" base. Using the alternate head from the Dragon kit. But I have one extra so I don't have to open that box, yet. Unless I want the shield, cause I'm gonna need that or the Noble's. He was definitely getting the axe/halberd until I fell in love with the sword. But for some reason I wanna give all my champions different weapons. So If I end up giving the Prince on the dragon an axe I don't wan't this guy having an axe as well. But it feels like the only option since the sword/spear fits the other prince so much better. Unless I give the Dragon Prince the sword! But while the sword itself looks badass, doesn't the Dragon as a whole look unimpressive with it? Or is that just me?

What a mess.

Last edited by Antelano on Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#76 Post by SpellArcher »

Antelano wrote:But it feels like the only option since the sword/spear fits the other prince so much better. Unless I give the Dragon Prince the sword! But while the sword itself looks badass, doesn't the Dragon as a whole look unimpressive with it? Or is that just me?
I've just had this issue swapping models between my orc units. Balance is key!
Antelano

#77 Post by Antelano »

I now know I hate Ellyrian Reavers. Literally the worst to paint. Just blocked out the colours, which took me like a week. First time I've ever felt somewhat burned out painting. And I've got x3 more to go!
Thought I'd take a small break from the elves after this unit. If I can stomach it. Will probably do it as soon as I'm done with these two. I got two board games that are begging for a paint job. No real detail work, so it'll be a fairly swift affair.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#78 Post by SpellArcher »

Antelano wrote:Will probably do it as soon as I'm done with these two.
Or even sooner? I like the purple here but there's little point in painting stuff you don't enjoy I suggest.
Antelano

#79 Post by Antelano »

So... I have barely done anything since last time. These Reavers really did me in. But I'm hoping to get them done by the weekend.

While I haven't painted much, I did acquire some terrain. So that's cool. And I found this insane ad I just have to tell you about.
On my lunch break some weeks back I found this ad while scouring the web. Someone was selling a ton of High Elves for a measly 800 SEK/90 USD/80 €. The ad was only 10 minutes old but I was too late.

I was so mad about it. I already have more models than I can feasibly paint. But still. It was a steal!
I can't remember all the specifics. But it was around 10 sealed boxes and a bunch of sprues and half-built models.
From what I remember the boxes included a Skycutter, Lion Chariot, White Lions and Dragon Princes.

I would easily pay 800SEK for the Skycutter alone. I even tried to do the buyer dirty. I straight up told the seller I would x3 the price. But to no avail.

Last edited by Antelano on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azaam

#80 Post by Azaam »

Hey Antelano,

I was in a similar situation recently.
Just as you I have more than enough minis to paint but I was still looking for some nice deals. I also found a nice one (not as good as yours) only 10 minutes old but when I contacted the seller it was already too late :( I'm pretty sure there's some people just buying these really good deals to sell them and make profit. I know I thought about it but I realized it would be unfair for the genuine folks.
I also want to share another situation where that's the seller that played dirty and was always asking for more because someone was offering more. And that felt wrong to play along. ... In the end I paid more than double for the bundle and when it arrives it wasn't as good and complete as shown in the ad. I was lucky enough to make the payment with Vinted so there were an insurance and the customer service that helped me. In the end, I sent back half of the minis and get half of the moneyback so it's still kind of a win but it took me weeks and a lot of stress so not that great.

Anyway, good luck with the painting ! Starting is always the most difficult step. But when you start, you know you like it.
Could you finished the Reavers ?
Keep us updated, I'd love to see more of your work.
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Antelano

#81 Post by Antelano »

Only took half a year. And some terrain pieces.

Last edited by Antelano on Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olthannon

#82 Post by Olthannon »

Hey I saw you post this up on Reddit earlier, great work! I love that pinkish hue to the stone, gives it that faintly ethereal quality and matches with your army colour scheme nicely!
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#83 Post by Prince of Spires »

They look great. I love how dark and grey they are without being boring. The hints of pink work really well.

And the terrain pieces are lovely. Did you make them yourself?

Check out my plog

Antelano

#84 Post by Antelano »

Prince of Spires wrote:And the terrain pieces are lovely. Did you make them yourself?
I wish. Got them from Minimonsters.eu.

I'm truly on the plastic crack by now. I just buy everything I stumble across. Like this lot below, with the latest terrain piece. They came as a package. Bought them mainly to try and make a Tyrion conversion out of the Prince. But we'll see if I can even manage to pick it apart. And I'm getting second thoughts. Kinda like it as a BSB. But then I'll have 3 Princes.
And yeah, basically bought a whole O&G army in hopes that I'll get to it one day. Man I miss those green freaks. Was my first Warhammer army after all.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#85 Post by Prince of Spires »

I know how you feel. I love getting more miniatures. At some point I just had to force myself to stop getting new ones and instead focussed on finishing those I had. It's slow going but a while ago I did pass the point where I had more models painted than still in a box...

I'll be sure to check out Minimosters.eu. Those pieces look great.

As for O&G, I would love to get myself an army of them. They have so many great looking models and cool, fluffy army options. I know few of them are really competitive, but I only play fun, fluffy games anyway, so that's no issue for me.

Anyway, keep us updated on your progress. I'd love to see more of your models.

Rod

Check out my plog

MasterOfNone

#86 Post by MasterOfNone »

I for one would love to see some O&G pieces from you.
Your work on Elves is excellent, I would expect the same level, but with a different look, for the greenskins.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Azaam

#87 Post by Azaam »

Good job with the Ellyrian reavers, I really like how you manage to use a lot dark colours without making them look too dark.
Actually everytime I look at them I find new details that make them even better. I can easily understand why it took you that much time.

As long as you don't plan to show us that giant scary spider, I'm totally okay with you painting O&G :D
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Antelano

#88 Post by Antelano »

Quick update:
Still painting. Working on Sea Guard command. And I couldn't stop myself from picking up some Dwarfs. The Dwarven half of The Battle for Skull Pass to be more precise. Like 6 of them.

I've always liked Dwarfs. When I started collecting High Elves it was between them and Dwarfs. I've passed on so many BFSP sales and just finally bought it. From a hoarder. Who had way too many of them. And only sold all or nothing. Well, I'll just keep what I want and sell the rest.

This is just the Warriors. Oh god, what have I done...
Last edited by Antelano on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MasterOfNone

#89 Post by MasterOfNone »

Azaam wrote:As long as you don't plan to show us that giant scary spider, I'm totally okay with you painting O&G :D
Nothing wrong with spiders :-6

But I think I'd also like to see some of those new dwarfs done.
High Elves, Dwarfs and O&G's: exactly what I chose to collect.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Antelano's High Elves - Plastic crack

#90 Post by Prince of Spires »

MasterOfNone wrote: High Elves, Dwarfs and O&G's: exactly what I chose to collect.
That's a very classic fantasy collection :D

6 BFSP sets should give you a pretty great start for a dwarf army. Though you might want some variety after you've painted that many dwarves.

There's something wonderful about hoarders who decide to sell. There are some great deals to be found every now and then if you get lucky and know what to look for.

Check out my plog