Old World announcement and now "Pointy" Aelves.

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Morgen

Old World announcement and now "Pointy" Aelves.

#1 Post by Morgen »

So we had the initial announcement a few weeks ago of work starting on The Old World and square bases being teased, but now they've got rumors of even newer elves more in line with what used to be at least from the artwork used to described them with this spring.

So new elves. Anyone seen anything anywhere else about that? Conventions, magazines, secret cabal meetings?
wamphyri101

Re: Old World announcement and now "Pointy" Aelves.

#2 Post by wamphyri101 »

There has been mention of Teclis in many little areas now "gathering an army"

Hopefully this time he got the formula right after his "mistake" with Idoneth Deepkin

So far no real army name or pictures bar his silhouette, which he might be mounted on something like a dragon as you dont see his lower half
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Botjer

#3 Post by Botjer »

The new eles are looking tight.
That cavalry will definetly find a home in my army.

And the spearmen... i already have plans of blocks pikemen :D
wamphyri101

#4 Post by wamphyri101 »

Botjer wrote:The new eles are looking tight.
That cavalry will definetly find a home in my army.

And the spearmen... i already have plans of blocks pikemen :D
Be interesting if spearmen are a duel kit with archers. Will have to see. I like the spearmen, very Jason and the Arganaughts
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Morgen

#5 Post by Morgen »

Hyshian aelves is very silly of a name but they are looking very nice. I wonder if I'll be able to trade away all these Deepkin in boxes...
Th3_5had0w_K1ng

#6 Post by Th3_5had0w_K1ng »

Can I just say - the spearmen were promising but HOLY Alarielle they really went over the top with the helms didn't they?

And I guess elves + beastmen = something new? But I definitely get more of a "wood elf spirit" or "beastmen" entity vibe from this.

And don't get me started on the hammers. Croquet was the sleekest hammer they could design?

Finally - Teclis couldn't just be a powerful mage that smites all the things but HE NEEDS A MONSTER TOO!! Gotta justify that $140 price tag.

I hate 90% of all of it. Not like I was playing AoS before but now I definitely won't. [-( I hate the high fantasy look of AoS where EVERYTHING is over the top and miss the grimdark days. Ah well - I suppose this is just me settling into my grumpy old man phase.

Rant over.
"Looking into the steely eyes of his foes, Kolgar felt his blood run cold.
There was no fear upon the faces of the Elves, only ruthless determination.
With a silent prayer to Khorne, Kolgar hoped the Blood God was with him."

**RETIRED FROM WARHAMMER FANTASY 2015. END TIMES.**
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

Yes, even by elven standards the helmets are ridiculous. They're so top-heavy and wide that you can't expect someone to fight in it. Lean to either side and you're bound to just fall over.
Th3_5had0w_K1ng wrote: And I guess elves + beastmen = something new? But I definitely get more of a "wood elf spirit" or "beastmen" entity vibe from this.
elves + beastmen = Elf-beasts? Beast-elves? Elvesmen? Beastelvesmen?

They're just weird. Getting more magical creatures is not a bad thing. But, of all possible animals they could chose, a cow? What's wrong with a dragon or something like that...
Th3_5had0w_K1ng wrote: And don't get me started on the hammers. Croquet was the sleekest hammer they could design?
actually, in another thread here, we concluded that they're not hammers at all. They're repurposed Pringles cans on a stick.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Morgen

#8 Post by Morgen »

So do we think it'll be a head swap kind of army..... Or do we just hope for the Old World to be better and not worry about it?
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#9 Post by Luna Guardian »

Morgen wrote:So do we think it'll be a head swap kind of army..... Or do we just hope for the Old World to be better and not worry about it?
We'll, the MC Hammers ARE nice models...with the exception of the very top of their helmets. I am pretty sure Kromlech or someone will make new heads for them
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Icarion

#10 Post by Icarion »

Luna Guardian wrote:
Morgen wrote:So do we think it'll be a head swap kind of army..... Or do we just hope for the Old World to be better and not worry about it?
We'll, the MC Hammers ARE nice models...with the exception of the very top of their helmets. I am pretty sure Kromlech or someone will make new heads for them
hmm... the models, yes, without head and without the hammers. Somebody at facebook mentioned tey look like Pringles-boxes on a stick... made me laugh but it is true! ;)

Overall all of the models have potential but mostly without the heads and some would probably only (visually) unfold their potential at a more civilized beastmen army. :lol:

...if they are not too big, i will probably buy some of them!
Caledor for life!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

Icarion wrote:the models, yes, without head and without the hammers.
It's a bit a shame that you need to replace half the model to make it decent. Especially since the whole point of the model seems to be the helmet and hammer. There's probably cheaper options out there for just a body...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Icarion

#12 Post by Icarion »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Icarion wrote:the models, yes, without head and without the hammers.
It's a bit a shame that you need to replace half the model to make it decent. Especially since the whole point of the model seems to be the helmet and hammer. There's probably cheaper options out there for just a body...
probably, but i have to admit the bodies and the armour looks really good. normally i dont care for the pricetag if i like it, as we´re not talking about thousands of euros.
my problem would rather be, that if i buy it, i would encourage the stupidity of people sculpting such shit, as they might think "wow, people are buying my models... see? i told you the models are awesome! let´s do MORE" and continue producing stupid cow-elves or other "superhelmet-armies", while i buy them just for the bodies and throw away the rest.
due to the same reason i am still hesitating to buy that "dragon-thing" from the new "slayers" army... i loved the old slayers, those just look like "too much". i´ll probably wait for some other dragon to be released, so i can build something.
Caledor for life!
draxynnic

#13 Post by draxynnic »

Luna Guardian wrote:
Yeah, the general concept is okay. High Elves have always had decorative headgear representing various animals that are revered by the unit in question (dragons, phoenixes, eagles, lions, fish) so in the context of having an ox spirit of the mountains (which is a concept that makes sense) and a unit that has a close relationship with that spirit, ox-themed headgear makes sense.

The problem is that in my head, I keep mentally shrinking it down. Even when I remind myself that they're ridiculously large, I still shrink them down in my head to about half their actual size, because that's still big enough to be ridiculous in my mind. So every time I look at them again, I'm shocked anew at just how ludicrously oversized they are... despite knowing full well that they are ridiculously oversized. They're just big that as soon as I look away from them my brain starts shrinking them to something less ridiculous even when I know this is happening and try to compensate.
Th3_5had0w_K1ng

#14 Post by Th3_5had0w_K1ng »

draxynnic wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:
High Elves have always had decorative headgear representing various animals that are revered by the unit in question (dragons, phoenixes, eagles, lions, fish) so in the context of having an ox spirit of the mountains (which is a concept that makes sense) and a unit that has a close relationship with that spirit, ox-themed headgear makes sense.

The problem is that in my head, I keep mentally shrinking it down. Even when I remind myself that they're ridiculously large, I still shrink them down in my head to about half their actual size, because that's still big enough to be ridiculous in my mind. So every time I look at them again, I'm shocked anew at just how ludicrously oversized they are... despite knowing full well that they are ridiculously oversized. They're just big that as soon as I look away from them my brain starts shrinking them to something less ridiculous even when I know this is happening and try to compensate.
What's funny about the oversized helms is I saw this photoshop and it's tons better than the original design.
"Looking into the steely eyes of his foes, Kolgar felt his blood run cold.
There was no fear upon the faces of the Elves, only ruthless determination.
With a silent prayer to Khorne, Kolgar hoped the Blood God was with him."

**RETIRED FROM WARHAMMER FANTASY 2015. END TIMES.**
Icarion

#15 Post by Icarion »

True, but it´s still horrible. I mean, people are making fun of viking´s horned helmets, which are - as far as archeologists and historians say - a myth and now you see this... :lol:

on the other hand these horns might be useful for me as a part-time chaosplayer. some chaoswarriors and daemons might be happy to get some extra spikes?! ;)
Caledor for life!
Vermis

#16 Post by Vermis »

Icarion wrote:probably, but i have to admit the bodies and the armour looks really good. normally i dont care for the pricetag if i like it, as we´re not talking about thousands of euros.
my problem would rather be, that if i buy it, i would encourage the stupidity of people sculpting such shit, as they might think "wow, people are buying my models... see? i told you the models are awesome! let´s do MORE" and continue producing stupid cow-elves or other "superhelmet-armies", while i buy them just for the bodies and throw away the rest.
due to the same reason i am still hesitating to buy that "dragon-thing" from the new "slayers" army... i loved the old slayers, those just look like "too much". i´ll probably wait for some other dragon to be released, so i can build something.
This is pretty close to my own thoughts on these things. :D

(I'm extremely critical of wargaming monsters. The magmadroth is one of the few disappointments, for me, of the 'Seb Perbett era' of GW. Like too many monsters out there, it's a lot of busy detail covering a Playmobil body.)
Icarion wrote:True, but it´s still horrible. I mean, people are making fun of viking´s horned helmets, which are - as far as archeologists and historians say - a myth and now you see this... :lol:
I think the pic is an improvement. Maybe not 100% there, but an improvement. And you don't have to look to vikings for real-world wackiness!

Exhibit A
Exhibit B

Once again: hopefully, as it might have been for medieval great helms, the elf horns can be removed for practicality purposes. :wink:
Last edited by Vermis on Fri May 01, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icarion

#17 Post by Icarion »

Sorry, you´re right. I did not want to critizise your efforts to improve all that.

...talking and thinking about the new elves, i would like to scream at some poor guy on the GW-hotline "RELEASE THEM!!!" :wink: :lol: so we can finally see the whole release and how the kits are built. i am curious like crazy! :mrgreen:
Caledor for life!
Vermis

#18 Post by Vermis »

Looking again at the photoshop, I'd go further and use those rings on the horns as guides for chopping and regluing them.

And yeah, there's an awful lot of speculation, waiting for these to fall into some regular gamer's hands!
Botjer

#19 Post by Botjer »

Cow elves... theyve lost me
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#20 Post by SpellArcher »

I've always felt the Minoans had an elvish touch and they were big on bulls. This is rather different though.
Icarion

#21 Post by Icarion »

SpellArcher wrote:I've always felt the Minoans had an elvish touch and they were big on bulls. This is rather different though.
So true... i would have liked to see kinda heavy cavalry on bulls, if GW really wants to dive into that topic, but personally i prefer my elves with dragons and horses. 8)
Caledor for life!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#22 Post by SpellArcher »

Icarion wrote:i would have liked to see kinda heavy cavalry on bulls
I have the metal Great Stag from the old Wood Elf range which a friend dubbed the 'Battle Yak'! It does have a slightly bovine feel but I kind of dig it.