The Legion of Slah'kar (Slaanesh warband)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

The Legion of Slah'kar (Slaanesh warband)

#1 Post by Luna Guardian »

I decided to take a short break from painting my high elves to dabble again in Chaos. Since we have a local group that occasionally runs Path To Glory on the old 6th edition rules with some house rule errata, I wanted to have a daemon prince ready for my champion to ascend to. It also was a fun modeling and converting task and a perfect warm up for some of my more ambitious projects!

Behold, WIP Slaanesh Daemon Prince, Slah'kar!

(the base will be changed for a square one you see in the background, I apologize for the picture quality
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: The Legion of Slah'kar (Slaanesh warband)

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Luna Guardian wrote:Behold, WIP Slaanesh Daemon Prince, Slah'kar!
Very promising Luna! Nice shield, where's it from?
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#3 Post by Luna Guardian »

SpellArcher wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:Behold, WIP Slaanesh Daemon Prince, Slah'kar!
Very promising Luna! Nice shield, where's it from?
Thank you! I genuinely have no idea, it was in an assortment of bitz I bought with some Drukhari and dark elf stuff, so probably from one of the newer boxes from those armies?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

I remember using the huge shield from the Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers for Ogres once.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#5 Post by Luna Guardian »

And the prince is done!

I really like how he turned out. Might take some pictures of the rest of the army later today.

elendor_f

#6 Post by elendor_f »

I like the final result, he fits very well with the Slaaneshi theme. Love the shield!
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

There's something a bit disturbing about him Luna which is a good sign!

:)
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#8 Post by Luna Guardian »

Thank you! Next up, Chaos Trolls!

I had a bunch of metal yetis and other bits and figured that they'd make for good mutated monsters with a few bits tacked on :)

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Lovely stuff!

=D>

Chaos. Trolls. What's not to like?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm not a big fan of the model. But you've done a great job on them. They look suitably chaotic without shouting "I'm a conversion". And the purple blades work very well.

If I had to criticize one thing it's that the bases are a bit boring. It's a very personal thing. But especially bigger bases like these can use a bit more to make them interesting.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#11 Post by Luna Guardian »

Thanks! I agree on the bases, but they're not fully done yet. I don't have a solid plan on what exactly to do with them, but I'm sure something will come to me. If nothing else, Nuln Oil and some grass :P

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#12 Post by Prince of Spires »

That would already help break up the base a bit and make it more interesting visually. Raiding your bits box a bit for some spare weapons / shields / chopped off arms / heads is another option if you want to go a bit further.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#13 Post by Luna Guardian »

The champion of my daemonettes/Chosen! I quite like the conversion job on her, it was much more difficult to make her seem "championey" than making the standard bearer/musician, but I think it worked well.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#14 Post by SpellArcher »

Excellent Luna!

=D>

I had enough trouble getting two arms to stay on. They are so slender and fiddly. There's also something pleasingly old school about the way you've painted her.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote:The champion of my daemonettes/Chosen! I quite like the conversion job on her, it was much more difficult to make her seem "championey" than making the standard bearer/musician, but I think it worked well.
The thing of course with a standard bearer and a musician is that if you stick on a standard or a musical instrument people usually get that they are the standard bearer / musician. Champions are a lot trickier. Reminds me of the metal HE special units. There the champion is the one with the slightly different sword / pose / cloak. If you don't tell anyone they'd never know.

Nice paint job. Very clean. Perhaps the "arms" could use some extra highlights. Though that could also be the picture.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#16 Post by Luna Guardian »

Some warriors with an assortment of weapons. I would really need to unify their gear, but since they're a product of Path to Glory...

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#17 Post by SpellArcher »

These look great, they really stand out!
RE.Lee

#18 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice whites!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#19 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:Nice whites!
This indeed. Impressive whites :)

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#20 Post by Luna Guardian »

Slaanesh has the best whites, they're great. Yuge! :P

Thanks, it's an absolute pain in the patootie to paint though! I'm going to be trying out the Apothecary White as soon as my FLGS stocks it again, just to see if I can knock some time off from painting 5 layers of white. Doesn't help that I use a black primer, either...

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#21 Post by SpellArcher »

Luna Guardian wrote:Doesn't help that I use a black primer, either...
I painted a white on black Slaanesh army Luna and I am feeling your pain.

:mrgreen:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#22 Post by Prince of Spires »

I originally tried to paint my dragon prince horses white. I ended up so frustrated when painting the first one that I gave up and painted them dark grey. So I'm very impressed.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#23 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm not looking forward to white horses at all. I'll have some coming eventually.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

I blackline and because of this white horses are not so bad for me, albeit the effect is unsophisticated. Otherwise it’s tricky to get contrast and definition I feel.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#25 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:I blackline and because of this white horses are not so bad for me, albeit the effect is unsophisticated. Otherwise it’s tricky to get contrast and definition I feel.
I can definitely see that working. You'll miss the more gradual shadows and depth in the model. But that's a pain to pull off with white anyway. Maybe next time I feel the need to try painting white horses I'll go with blacklining and applying a bit of a shine to the raised area's. I've got some pearl like paint somewhere that's ideal for this. I did something similar for one of the secret santa projects. It should work I think. Hm, I've got some silver helms being assembled. They might be a good unit to try this on.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#26 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:
SpellArcher wrote:I blackline and because of this white horses are not so bad for me, albeit the effect is unsophisticated. Otherwise it’s tricky to get contrast and definition I feel.
I can definitely see that working. You'll miss the more gradual shadows and depth in the model. But that's a pain to pull off with white anyway. Maybe next time I feel the need to try painting white horses I'll go with blacklining and applying a bit of a shine to the raised area's. I've got some pearl like paint somewhere that's ideal for this. I did something similar for one of the secret santa projects. It should work I think. Hm, I've got some silver helms being assembled. They might be a good unit to try this on.

Rod
I'm going to give the contrast paints a try, here's hoping they're as miraculous as promised

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#27 Post by Prince of Spires »

I've got a friend who started using them and he's really happy with them. They're a fast way to get decent results it seems.

Though it must be noted that he's unsing them on Ogres, which seem like pretty much the ideal target for them. Large models with decently sized patches of skin with folds in between.

Let us know how it goes.

Rod

Check out my plog