The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 7.5. Alarielle the Everqueen]

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 1.9.]

#151 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like him. I think SW are one of those units that can make a relatively different paint scheme compared to the rest of the army work. Maybe you could add some more green to the model to tie him in to the rest of the army a bit more. But I think he'll work (assuming they are also scouts in the mantic games).

How was the wedding?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#152 Post by Luna Guardian »

Kindred Gladestalkers indeed have analogous rules to scouts in Warhammer. I am leaning toward the darker nuln oil wash for the scalemail, I want them to look more sinister and "scouty" than the rest of the army :)

The wedding was a success, I am now happily married and the guests enjoyed it :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Olthannon

#153 Post by Olthannon »

Congratulations on the wedding =D> =D>

As for the shadow warriors, I agree - fitting their role as outsiders you can certainly change up how they look in comparison to the rest of the army. Maybe play around with a couple of ideas and see what comes out better?
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#154 Post by SpellArcher »

Luna Guardian wrote:The wedding was a success, I am now happily married and the guests enjoyed it
Splendid Luna!

=D>
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#155 Post by Luna Guardian »

First batch of Shadow Warriors (Gladestalkers) ready! The lighting is off, so they look a lot darker and more flat than in real life, but overall I am rather satisfied. The varnish left a bit of an odd finish however, not sure what happened there.

I think for my future pictures I need a lighter colored background for the units. Maybe I can swing one for an army picture, somehow...
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 7.9.]

#156 Post by Luna Guardian »

A quick glimpse of the entire host, assembled to answer the call for aid from a watchtower! Also some better pictures of some units :P
ImageImageImage

Griffon Knights of Tor Charta

Made some changes to the RBTs, giving them a small "Chracian" flair

Chariot regiment is also ready to go

And next projects:
Second Standard Bearer

Hunters of the Wild

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#157 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's one kickass army. It looks very impressive. I would be very happy to play against it. Where is the watchtower from?

The shadow warriors turned out great (though indeed the first picture is very dark). The dark look puts them apart from the army to show that they're not just some regular infantry. But the green and white still tie them to your army. Well done.

The only thing I'm now wondering about is the green grass on the bases. It feels perhaps a little bit to green and summery for the snow bases.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#158 Post by Luna Guardian »

Thank you! The watchtower is a Pringles can with some 3D printed parts. I have two of those, although I haven't used them for anything just yet.

The Shadow Warriors' cloaks are white on the inside for a reason, I imagine that they're reversible for when they have to range during the winter months or up in the mountains where there is more snow. That's the fluff reason, the other is that it allowed for some contrast on the minis :p .

I touched upon the bases some time back, but the idea is that Ulthuan is a paradise, so there's probably rarely tons and tons of snow. However, given that Chrace is north (and mountainous), there are likely patches of snow every once in a while. It could also be spring, where the snow is melting and green grass is starting to push through, symbolizing hope.

Bie

#159 Post by Bie »

Awesome army right there. I especially like the Griffon Knights. Is there anything more planned?
Training the Sea Guard

Current project: Aldarin's Command - Battery bases
Painting queue: archers, artillery battery
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#160 Post by Luna Guardian »

The next certain steps are:

The second army standard bearer (the one primed black)

The Wardancers (will count as Hunters of the Wild, a tribe or village of wilder elves that reside in the woodlands of Lord Deral's realm)

Standards for all units (currently have empty banner poles for four units and rather bland white fields with a rune for the rest)

I also have piles and piles of metal models, including but not limited to: 6ish Shadow Warriors, 3 Waywatchers, 15 Swordmasters, uncounted White Lions, ten or so Maiden Guard and a few old Tiranoc Chariots. I also have 10 plastic White Lions, but those will be turned into more of the Lion Guard as soon as I can score the necessary Phoenix Guard bitz. I also have several Great Eagles that could be painted, but they don't really have a place in the Kings of War elf list (unless I want to use them as allies, which is a distinct possibility). Probably some more bits and bobs of other units and the like.

I also have plans of adding one or two griffon riders to either make a second unit or bring the existing unit up one size from Regiment to Horde, but I am not yet sure what models to use. They'd have to be smaller to rank up, but not too small so they don't look odd.

But after the standard bearer and wardancers, I think I will be focusing on my Chaos army for a while. I have some b-e-a-utiful models from Raging Heroes to paint as devoted followers of Slaanesh, it'll be a nice break from all the green :)

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#161 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote:Thank you! The watchtower is a Pringles can with some 3D printed parts. I have two of those, although I haven't used them for anything just yet.

The Shadow Warriors' cloaks are white on the inside for a reason, I imagine that they're reversible for when they have to range during the winter months or up in the mountains where there is more snow. That's the fluff reason, the other is that it allowed for some contrast on the minis :p .

I touched upon the bases some time back, but the idea is that Ulthuan is a paradise, so there's probably rarely tons and tons of snow. However, given that Chrace is north (and mountainous), there are likely patches of snow every once in a while. It could also be spring, where the snow is melting and green grass is starting to push through, symbolizing hope.
The base thing makes sense. It certainly looks like that.

I like the fluff touch on the shadow warriors cloaks. Yes, some contrast on the mini's always helps. But it's nice if you also have a reason for including it.
Luna Guardian wrote:But after the standard bearer and wardancers, I think I will be focusing on my Chaos army for a while.
No! Don't go over to the dark side! I know the lure of chaos is strong. But you have to resist. Fight it and stay in the light.

That, or start a new plog showing us your chaos progress of course ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#162 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote: No! Don't go over to the dark side! I know the lure of chaos is strong. But you have to resist. Fight it and stay in the light.

Rod
You mean like this :wink:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#163 Post by SpellArcher »

I agree with the guys, great army Luna.

=D>
Luna Guardian wrote:The watchtower is a Pringles can
You sir, are gloriously Old School!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#164 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote: No! Don't go over to the dark side! I know the lure of chaos is strong. But you have to resist. Fight it and stay in the light.

Rod
You mean like this :wink:
Yeah, something like that. That guy really knows what he's doning... ;)

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#165 Post by Luna Guardian »

SpellArcher wrote:I agree with the guys, great army Luna.

=D>
Luna Guardian wrote:The watchtower is a Pringles can
You sir, are gloriously Old School!
Thank you! One uses the lessons learned, and mine are starting to feel old school indeed!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#166 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

https://www.reapermini.com/search/griffon/latest/77157

Is that any help to you? I've seen them on ebay for as low as $5 too. If you get one don't use a spray can to prime it, but other than that the bones models are decent.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#167 Post by Luna Guardian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:https://www.reapermini.com/search/griffon/latest/77157

Is that any help to you? I've seen them on ebay for as low as $5 too. If you get one don't use a spray can to prime it, but other than that the bones models are decent.
I've seen it in person, but it is too small. It also doesn't really accommodate a rider very well :/ . Thanks though!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#168 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Ah. The only ridden one I've seen from reaper has a dwarf on it. It's also metal so more in the $30 range.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#169 Post by Prince of Spires »

I've worked with a reaper bones model for secret santa at some point. And I like (some of) them. Great value for money. Though you need to browse through their large collection a bit to find something suitable. And scale indeed can be an issue. Perhaps you can use it as a unit filler or something like a great eagle replacement (or similar). Also, at that price it's very usable in a terrain piece. Just imagine it at the top of a elven temple.

Rod

Check out my plog

Nusphigor

#170 Post by Nusphigor »

I really like your idea of painting the usually metallic bits in a flat color. May I employ the same idea on my elves?

Really neat army mate!
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#171 Post by Luna Guardian »

Nusphigor wrote:I really like your idea of painting the usually metallic bits in a flat color. May I employ the same idea on my elves?

Really neat army mate!
Thanks! And of course you may, I stole the idea from the 6th edition High Elf armybook myself! :D

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#172 Post by Luna Guardian »

And I'm back again! Life's been really busy, but with the 5g signals and exploding bats slowing things down, I have time to do some hobby work again! This time I'm making a stand-in for Argus Rodinar, a special character in Kings of War (free current edition rules and army builder available now!) who is basically a turbo-charged BSB. In my army, I will be using the rules, but my own fluff: an elder elf strategos, taking to the field to guide the young ones in how war SHOULD be fought!

First time ever test assembling anything too! The mage is there to show scale and such, he won't be the final model, but I needed a stand in :)
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 15.4.]

#173 Post by Prince of Spires »

The pictures are a bit big, but the throne thingy is looking bad-ass. We should have exploding bats more often if this is the result... ;)

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#174 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:The pictures are a bit big, but the throne thingy is looking bad-ass. We should have exploding bats more often if this is the result... ;)
Whoah, you're right! Should be fixed now, much easier to view :)

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#175 Post by Elithmar »

The wonders of a well-stocked bitzbox!

Looking forward to seeing the character who deserves such an impressive throne. :wink:
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Vermis

#176 Post by Vermis »

I'll be interested to see the final effect!

(Lovely army too. I like how you did the greens, and I can't believe you have a whole unit of those IoB griffons. Brilliant!)
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#177 Post by Luna Guardian »

Well, while the battle throne thing's undercoat is drying, I decided to finish my second Army Standard Bearer (in KoW you can have multiple). Behold!

Painting skills are a bit rusty after 6 months or so, but still turned out pretty ok IMHO. The banner is being made by a friend of a friend to be printed out later, I suck at freehand and have no graphic design skills, so outsourcing is a must :(

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#178 Post by SpellArcher »

Yep, that’s gonna be big enough!

=D>
Olthannon

#179 Post by Olthannon »

" We're gonna need a bigger banner" - said someone in Chrace, presumably.
One foot in the hobby
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#180 Post by Luna Guardian »

Olthannon wrote:" We're gonna need a bigger banner" - said someone in Chrace, presumably.
EVEN bigger? But our prince was assured that this was the biggest one made!