Aldarin's Command - maritime themed army

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Bie

Aldarin's Command - maritime themed army

#1 Post by Bie »

Hey there, first post here on the forum.

Throughout the years I've painted Bretonnian, Empire and Orcs & Goblin armies. To a lesser extend I've also collected High and Wood Elves. Since I bought a lot of old Warhammer miniatures off of a colleague a while back I've been on kind of a painting and spree. The lot contained some 4th/5th edition High Elf spearmen, archers and Reaver knights. Digging up my old mini's I pooled them together and it sparked the idea to assemble and paint an entire army. This is not meant to be a competitive army, just one that makes sense and is fluffy.

I've been looking at some paint schemes and decided to go with a Lothern themed army. By now I've been scouring Ebay and amassed what should be more than enough for a 2.000 point army.

General concept:
I want my army to represent a kind of shipborne battalion.
  • Core:
    The bulk of the army is light infantry, with the Sea Guard representing the core fighting force and the spearmen and archers representing the mariners that man the ship. The only cavalry on the roster are the Ellyrian Reavers, which fit into the theme of it being a light force.
  • Special:
    I'll be using Shadow Warriors as some type or rangers, again fitting in the light infantry theme. Sword Masters will be the only heavy infantry included.
  • Rare:
    Eagle Claw bolt throwers. It being a Lothern and maritime list, this was a no brainer.
  • Characters:
    The force will be at the command of a Sea Lord (prince) on foot, in keeping with the light infantry theme. He'll probably be put into the spearmen or Sea Guard Unit.
    A Sea Helm will take up the role of battle standard bearer. He will be put into one of the Sea Guard units.
    Maybe an odd choice for a maritime list: a noble on a chariot. I just like the 5th edition chariot and wanted to incorporate it into this army.
    Lastly there is a mage with the lore of heavens. Bigger vessels have mages to keep them out of danger during storms or give them a bit of extra speed.
This is what's planned:
[20] 24 Spearmen with command
[~] 15 Archers with command
[X] 5 Ellyrian Reavers
[ ] Two units of 15 Lothern Sea Guard with command

[ ] 5 Shadow Warriors
[ ] 1 Chariot

[1] Three bolt throwers

[X] Lord on foot (thinking of using an Aenur mini)
[ ] Sea Helm battle standard bearer
[X] Hero on chariot
[ ] Mage

Some pictures:
Didn't have any spearman champion mini, so I bought this one off of Ebay. Cleaned it up and gave it a paintover.

My first 15 painted spearmen.
Last edited by Bie on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:19 am, edited 11 times in total.
Training the Sea Guard

Current project: Aldarin's Command - Battery bases
Painting queue: archers, artillery battery
Olthannon

Re: Lothern maritime themed army

#2 Post by Olthannon »

Nice crisp colours, love the classic minis and the goblin green bases to boot. Looking forward to seeing the rest!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Bie!

:)

I agree with Olthannon, nicely defined.
Bie wrote:Maybe an odd choice for a maritime list: a noble on a chariot.
I’m pretty sure ancient seaborne forces used to carry chariots. The Minoans for example.
Bie

#4 Post by Bie »

A little update: I've finished my lord on foot. I chose an Aenur miniature for it because I really like the "windswept" pose and thought it would fit the maritime theme. It also has some kind of swashbuckler vibe to it, but maybe that's just me.

Training the Sea Guard

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#5 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Hey, nice to see another person from the oldhammer group.
Bie

#6 Post by Bie »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Hey, nice to see another person from the oldhammer group.
Yup, posted these on the Oldhammer group as well :-)

Most of this list will be oldhammer, varying from 5th to 6th and maybe one unit and a character from 8th edition.
Training the Sea Guard

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I mean, I'm one of the crabby people who would call anything from 4-6th middlehammer haha. But they are cool models, and you've painted them nicely.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Bie wrote:It also has some kind of swashbuckler vibe to it
Definitely, great pick.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#9 Post by Luna Guardian »

Very nice, crisp and bright colors. Will be very striking once in army size!
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Bie

#10 Post by Bie »

A little update:

Moving on to the Ellyrian Reavers: I want to continue the same livery as I started off with, but with a small accent to them. I decided to go with a touch of black, dubbing them the "Black Banners". I always finish one whole mini when I'm painting new units and the first one is done already. So one down, four to go.

Had finished this bolt thrower already, just didn't post any picture:
Training the Sea Guard

Olthannon

#11 Post by Olthannon »

Gorgeous paint job - I really like the dags on the reaver and the black flag. What paints are you using out of interest?
One foot in the hobby
Bie

#12 Post by Bie »

Olthannon wrote:Gorgeous paint job - I really like the dags on the reaver and the black flag. What paints are you using out of interest?
Thanks.
I'm using the GW paints. For miniatures, those are the only paints I've ever used and mostly quite happy with the quality.
Training the Sea Guard

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#13 Post by Prince of Spires »

Some great looking models in here. I love the clean, crisp look you have. And it works very well with the older models.

What edition do you play?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Bie

#14 Post by Bie »

Prince of Spires wrote:Some great looking models in here. I love the clean, crisp look you have. And it works very well with the older models.

What edition do you play?

Rod
Honestly I'm not playing that much any more as I'm not sure there that many people playing WFB in my neighborhood. I got started with 5th edition and continued, playing most of my games, with 6th edition. Never really played 7th or 8th. I'd love to put these in a list and give them a whirl though. I've been looking into that already actually and for an 8th edition list I'd be sitting at about 2000 points.

I really like the 5th edition miniatures. Call it nostalgia, but I think they are awesome. I also like the way the miniatures were painted back in those days. Very colorful and vibrant. Though that is not really my painting style, I at least try to put in some nods to those painting schemes. Like the red bags of the spearmen or the black triangles on the plumes of the Reavers.
Training the Sea Guard

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#15 Post by Luna Guardian »

Bie wrote:Honestly I'm not playing that much any more as I'm not sure there that many people playing WFB in my neighborhood
Mandatory suggestion to look into Kings of War

:P
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#16 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote:
Bie wrote:Honestly I'm not playing that much any more as I'm not sure there that many people playing WFB in my neighborhood

You should start including a link to the Kings of War rules, make it easy for people ;)
Bie wrote:I really like the 5th edition miniatures. Call it nostalgia, but I think they are awesome. I also like the way the miniatures were painted back in those days. Very colorful and vibrant. Though that is not really my painting style, I at least try to put in some nods to those painting schemes. Like the red bags of the spearmen or the black triangles on the plumes of the Reavers.
You really have the "oldhammer" feel to your painting. Though it's not as bright and colorful perhaps as some of the painting, the clean colors (and green bases) really fit the painting of that era.

And I agree that the older models are awesome. They don't have all the extra details and swirly bits stuck on that modern miniatures have. But despite that (or maybe because of that) they have a lot of character. They 'radiate' elvishness. Some of my favorite models are the unarmoured archers (from 5th edition I think).

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#17 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:

You should start including a link to the Kings of War rules, make it easy for people ;)
Brilliant idea!
Prince of Spires wrote:I agree that the older models are awesome. They don't have all the extra details and swirly bits stuck on that modern miniatures have. But despite that (or maybe because of that) they have a lot of character. They 'radiate' elvishness. Some of my favorite models are the unarmoured archers (from 5th edition I think).

Rod
Thirded, the new minis are definitely too busy

Bie

#18 Post by Bie »

Prince of Spires wrote: You really have the "oldhammer" feel to your painting. Though it's not as bright and colorful perhaps as some of the painting, the clean colors (and green bases) really fit the painting of that era.

And I agree that the older models are awesome. They don't have all the extra details and swirly bits stuck on that modern miniatures have. But despite that (or maybe because of that) they have a lot of character. They 'radiate' elvishness. Some of my favorite models are the unarmoured archers (from 5th edition I think).

Rod
Thanks Rod , that's just what I was aiming for.

Btw 5th edition archers are still coming up.
Training the Sea Guard

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Aldarin's Command - Lothern maritime themed army

#19 Post by SpellArcher »

Bie wrote:I really like the 5th edition miniatures. Call it nostalgia, but I think they are awesome.
The ones you’ve got here were mostly designed by Jes Goodwin for 4th Edition Bie and I think they’re technically the best range to date, though not my cup of tea. Ironically I prefer the metal Lions, Swordmasters etc. that came out during 5th. Loving the paint job on the Reaver BTW.
Bie

#20 Post by Bie »

Another update:

My Reavers are all painted up. It took a while to get the horses done and I'm not 100% happy with the way they turned out, but still they are of tabletop quality.

Meanwhile I've been priming some more things. Last week I received my chariot through the mail. I've finished putting it together an priming it. I decided to magnetize the hero miniature on his right foot. This way I can put him on his chariot as well as on a infantry base. I'm not really used of doing these things, but I managed to get it done pretty decently.

Training the Sea Guard

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#21 Post by Prince of Spires »

Bie wrote: It took a while to get the horses done and I'm not 100% happy with the way they turned out
I have a strong dislike of painting horses for this reason. It always feels like they should be easy to paint (after all, they look fairly basic with not a lot of details). But they take an awefully long time to get right.

Yours look great. I like the little details like the white spots on the middle horse. Very nice and clean painting.

Magnitizing the rider of the chariot is a great idea. It gives you two models for one. And it makes it easy to deal with losing either the rider or the chariot in a game. You could even consider painting up a regular archer or spearman as well so you could use it as a regular chariot as well.

Rod

Check out my plog

Bie

#22 Post by Bie »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Bie wrote: It took a while to get the horses done and I'm not 100% happy with the way they turned out
I have a strong dislike of painting horses for this reason. It always feels like they should be easy to paint (after all, they look fairly basic with not a lot of details). But they take an awefully long time to get right.

Yours look great. I like the little details like the white spots on the middle horse. Very nice and clean painting.

Magnitizing the rider of the chariot is a great idea. It gives you two models for one. And it makes it easy to deal with losing either the rider or the chariot in a game. You could even consider painting up a regular archer or spearman as well so you could use it as a regular chariot as well.

Rod
And to think I once painted Bretonnians. I forgot how demotivating that was. Painting horses is deceptively hard and as you say it takes way more time to finish them than you might think. Either way, there are only two more horses for me to paint. Those would be the ones pulling the chariot. I hope to put some more detail on those as they are for my noble and they deserve more time and attention.

I've only started experimenting with magnets with this army. None of my previous ones had anything magnetized. I'm magnetizing all of my infantry, except the Shadow Warriors as they are skirmishers anyway. Putting a magnet on the chariot and the hero was not originally planned, but I wanted some flexibility in case either got shot up.
Training the Sea Guard

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#23 Post by Prince of Spires »

Bie wrote:Either way, there are only two more horses for me to paint. Those would be the ones pulling the chariot.
Yeah, chariots I can manage. As long as its just two horses the end is in sight fairly quickly. But painting a unit of 10 dragon princes was a pain in the ass for instance.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#24 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm working on 8 for my 3rd edition army. I thought I was almost done two days ago. But that underestimated the barding, reins, saddles, and (of course) gems.
Bie

#25 Post by Bie »

Finally managed to get in a game with some of the finished High Elves of this list. Played my first 9th Age game with them. Since I've been looking at the rules and the Highborn Elves army supplement. I can just about manage a list of 4500 points (the standard so it seems) with my current miniatures.

I'm planning to add some little things to get a valid list: add one more bolt thrower and add eight Sword Masters. The extra bolt thrower mini will be an 8th edition one. As for the Sword Masters, I'm still scouring ebay for a couple of those.

For the moment I'm painting my hero with chariot. I'll put up some pics soon enough.
Training the Sea Guard

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#26 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sounds great.

I think points in the 9th age are about double what they were in regular warhammer. And most (tournament) games at the end of 8th were 2250 - 2500. So 4500 pts indeed sounds about right for a standard game size.

I think you should be able to find some good deals for SM's. At least if you don't mind the plastic models from the Island of Blood set. There should be plenty of those around.

Rod

Check out my plog

Bie

#27 Post by Bie »

Haven't done to much painting because of work. But I'm slowly getting my hero chariot done. Though, as you can see, I'll still need to change the wheels of the chariot. The ones I got are partly melted by the previous owner, so I bought another pair through ebay. So, still quite some work to do.

Training the Sea Guard

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#28 Post by SpellArcher »

Coming along nice and colourful. That chariot guy always stood out.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#29 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

That Chariot almost makes me want to move mine up the que. But, I think after the spear elves it might be time for some goblins again.

I like your colors. Just colorful enough without going overboard.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#30 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'll just echo the two guys above. A very nice looking chariot. Very colorful and its a great model.

As a side note, I love how organised your painting station is looking in the background ;) I don't think I could manage to keep all colors together like that... ;)

Rod

Check out my plog