Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. More skeletons 05/03/19

#1081 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:In the end, good models draw inspiration while crap ones kill it..
I’m frequently confused by amazing paint jobs on awful models.
Mireadur wrote:1 more skellie..
That’s the Death eye sockets, right there!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1082 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote:I guess you are thinking of a freehand on them, and i tried!
Indeed. Your explanation makes sense. And the scratches etc on them look great. perhaps this is indeed the best that can be gotten out of these models. You're right that sometimes a model almost paints itself and others keep feeling like an uphill paint job the whole way.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1083 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Mireadur wrote:I guess you are thinking of a freehand on them, and i tried!
You're right that sometimes a model almost paints itself and others keep feeling like an uphill paint job the whole way.

Rod
Yeah this is the feeling i meant when painting these models. Fortunately im only a few days away from my seaguard :mrgreen: . Im really in the mood for them.. Just need to finish these 4 skellies...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1084 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote:im only a few days away from my seaguard :mrgreen: . Im really in the mood for them
Old or new models? I preferred painting the old, metal ones. They felt very elegant to me.

Looking forward to the next bunch of models :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1085 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Mireadur wrote:im only a few days away from my seaguard :mrgreen: . Im really in the mood for them
Old or new models? I preferred painting the old, metal ones. They felt very elegant to me.

Looking forward to the next bunch of models :)

Rod
The plastic ones i started last year. I have 4 half painted since last summer and then another 6 for the last row. Im gonna try to paint them all this month. And then, in the beginning of april i hope to paint this amazing model:

EDIT: 1 more, 3 to go. From here on it started getting repetitive.

EDIT 2: And another.

EDIT 3: Yeaaaah i finished the last 2 skeleton warriors i planned to do. Some unit shots included so you can see the progress: 19 out of 35 painted, but i lack the models here in belgium so i put wight kings on hold until mid-April.

On this back pic you can see the differences in bone colours im using, some are subtle and cant be seen much on the pic but others are apparent.

Tomorrow more... Gotta love to see the armies growing.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mireadur's log. Wights done for now, next HE 10/03/19

#1086 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looking forward to seeing the seahelm painted.

I think the purple shield is my favorite of that unit so far. The purple works well with the bone color.

It's shaping up to be an impressive unit. The variations in bone color are indeed there. I like that they are reasonably subtle, which makes it a complete unit but still interesting to look at compared to uniform "bleached bone". I suspect it will also make your life easier once you've painted a couple of units. If you have all bone color the same then when you're a year or two down the line then you still have to paint the bones the same way. Now you can vary within a unit and from unit to unit without looking weird and your painting can grow with the army.

Rod

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1087 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:Looking forward to seeing the seahelm painted.

I think the purple shield is my favorite of that unit so far. The purple works well with the bone color.

It's shaping up to be an impressive unit. The variations in bone color are indeed there. I like that they are reasonably subtle, which makes it a complete unit but still interesting to look at compared to uniform "bleached bone". I suspect it will also make your life easier once you've painted a couple of units. If you have all bone color the same then when you're a year or two down the line then you still have to paint the bones the same way. Now you can vary within a unit and from unit to unit without looking weird and your painting can grow with the army.

Rod
Yes thanks, i also think is a win-win decision to paint the bones with different colours.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1088 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:From here on it started getting repetitive.
I think you’re doing a good job of getting variety into a unit that could be very formulaic Mireadur.
Mireadur

#1089 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:
Mireadur wrote:From here on it started getting repetitive.
I think you’re doing a good job of getting variety into a unit that could be very formulaic Mireadur.
Thanks! Its really hard for me to paint one model after another always the same, this is really how i came up with adding small variations, to skin tones, bones, shields or switching colours around like in these seaguard.

I finished the 1st model finally wooot, man i had 4 of these guys half painted since july last year and i thought id was gonna take less time to finish each one, but it was 2,5 hours to complete one. Still im really happy with the result, also found time to do some small corrections to some of the 4 finished models.

So heres the result. The plan is to finish 3 more for Sunday and then maybe i can paint 2 models/week until the end of the month. Its taken me 30 hours painting 5 damn basic models. Its trully cumbersome but incredibly rewarding to see them lining up in all these fancy colours.

Enjoy!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mireadur's log. Seaguard At last! 13/03/19

#1090 Post by Prince of Spires »

The really are stunning models. I really like the robe, it seems to glow almost.

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1091 Post by SpellArcher »

The Undead are an interesting change Mireadur but I have to say these elves seem more you.

:)
Mireadur

#1092 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks guys.. I think this is my best unit ever. I cant stop looking at the pictures myself.

Im going to paint the seahelm next week, as soon as i finish these 4 models im working on and before the good moment i feel i am in fades away.

EDIT: another one finished. Now i have enough for the 1st row.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. Seaguard 1st row 16/03/19

#1093 Post by SpellArcher »

The thing I really envy is the delicate colour balance, especially with the shields. Painting Harlequins for example would be my worst nightmare.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mireadur's log. Seaguard 1st row 16/03/19

#1094 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:The thing I really envy is the delicate colour balance, especially with the shields. Painting Harlequins for example would be my worst nightmare.
This is very much true. You would expect blue on blue to not work. But it very much does. The unit is becoming lovely.

Rod

Check out my plog

Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. More Seaguard 19/03/19

#1095 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks guys. The truth is that i start adding paint by feeling, hardly do much planning other than the general army colours. With these guys, as i was gonna start painting the 1st shield i thought i'd be nice to make a midnight sky heraldy since the metal SG unit i did long ago is the opposite, and apparently it did work!

These were the original SG metals i painted, notice the clear day sky on the unit banner as a contrast with the midnight new one.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1096 Post by SpellArcher »

The new ones are beautifully painted but I much prefer the older models.
Olthannon

#1097 Post by Olthannon »

Amazing paint job as always, really love the colour of the shields. The fletching on the arrows could maybe be another colour just to contrast?
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1098 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with SA. The new models are great (and maybe even better painted). But those old LSG are just amazing models and it's a beautiful unit.

Rod

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1099 Post by Mireadur »

I personally like more the new ones, but their problem is that they are extremely busy models, specially for core troops.

EDIT: 1 more done and seahelm time!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. Another guard and character time! 22/03/

#1100 Post by SpellArcher »

Basing is just right Mireadur.

=D>
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. Another guard and character time! 22/03/

#1101 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:Basing is just right Mireadur.

=D>
jejeje thanks.

EDIT: Seahelm early WIP. I think the face and helmet is based on Leonidas in 300?

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. Start of Seahelm, lazy weekend 24/03/19

#1102 Post by SpellArcher »

He looks a bit angry about something...
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#1103 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:He looks a bit angry about something...
It's probably the fact that he's made of plastic. It's looking good though. And the seaguard are impressive (even if I do have to add another vote for the metal unit).
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1104 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
SpellArcher wrote:He looks a bit angry about something...
It's probably the fact that he's made of plastic.
:lol: =D>

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1105 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:based on Leonidas in 300?
This. Is. Lothern!

:mrgreen:
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#1106 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:
Mireadur wrote:In the end, good models draw inspiration while crap ones kill it..
I saw an absolutely amazing paint job on an Ariel the other day. It haunts me like a scene in a horror movie.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1107 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
SpellArcher wrote:
I saw an absolutely amazing paint job on an Ariel the other day. It haunts me like a scene in a horror movie.
There's the reverse as well though. GW often seems guilty of this, with bad paintjobs on otherwise nice models.

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1108 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote: There's the reverse as well though. GW often seems guilty of this, with bad paintjobs on otherwise nice models.
Lol really the only model i find grotesque from GW is the daemon prince primarch magnus, which looks more like a tenerife's carnival queen than a WH miniature. For the rest i really like the paint jobs and of course all of the models of late.

UPDATE on the seahelm: This one is coming out hard, i dont know if its too busy or what but im a little stuck and ive been having trouble to paint it since i started a week ago. Today's been the best day, however, and i could finally put a decent amount of time on it. Still half way, i guess.

Tomorrow i plan on finishing the metals and then it will look almost done. The cloak im leaving it for the last as i dont know yet what to do out of it. Im feeling like doing some kind of marine freehand but we will see. With the metals and the gems done i think i will have (finally) a clear view of where i want to get with this guy.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#1109 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

UPDATE on the seahelm: This one is coming out hard, i dont know if its too busy or what but im a little stuck and ive been having trouble to paint it since i started a week ago. Today's been the best day, however, and i could finally put a decent amount of time on it. Still half way, i guess.
I've had this issue myself lately. Things are just taking longer than they should.

The progress you are making looks good though. Someday I'll paint up this era of models.
Mireadur

#1110 Post by Mireadur »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I've had this issue myself lately. Things are just taking longer than they should.

The progress you are making looks good though. Someday I'll paint up this era of models.
Thats exactly the feeling with this guy. It reminds me of the azhag the butcherer i painted, that wyvern was a pain, deleted and started over 3 times.

So this is the progress today, barely painted, i did the stone hes standing on, his hair, painted the base gold and did 1st light on silver except the trident which ill leave for later... I feel like is gonna take all of the next week #-o #-o

That guy is huge, must be some kind of elven primarch.