Lizardmen vs Skaven 2500: The Dread Troglodon

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

CaledorRises

Lizardmen vs Skaven 2500: The Dread Troglodon

#1 Post by CaledorRises »

Back again with another battle report! This time playing as the Lizardmen against the fearsome Skaven hordes. For this battle report I decided to bring the single most dreaded model in the Lizardmen army book: The Troglodon. Whether it would be me or my opponent dreading it was a source of much speculation before the fight. I mainly brought it because I've got one painted, and because it's a fantastic model. I wanted to see if I could make it work, or at least not regret bringing it. Also, to compensate for not having enough pictures in my last game, I've got way too many for this one.

Here's the army lists:
Saurus Oldblood mounted on Carnosaur w/ Loping Stride, Bloodroar, Armor of Destiny, Ogre Blade
Saurus Scar-Veteran BSB w/ Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Light Armor
Saurus Scar-Veteran w/ Dragonhelm, Dawnstone, Light Armor, Shield
Skink Priest Level 2 w/ Cube of Darkness, Lore of Heavens
Skink Priest Level 2 w/ Dispel Scroll, Lore of Heavens
30x Saurus Warriors w/ Spears FC
10x Skinks
10x Skink Skirmishers
18x Saurus Warriors FC
Stegadon w/ Sharpened Horns, Unstoppable Stampede
Ancient Stegadon w/ Engine of the Gods, Sharpened Horns, Unstoppable Stampede
Troglodon

Grey Seer mounted on Screaming Bell w/ Earthing Rod, Fencer's Blade, Skalm
Chieftan BSB w/ Armor of Silvered Steel, Great Weapon
Plague Priest Level 1 mounted on Plague Furnace w/ Plague Censor, Talisman of Preservation
Warlock Engineer w/ Doomrocket, Warp Musket
35x Skaven Slaves w/ Musician
35x Skaven Slaves w/ Musician
30x Clanrats FC w/ Ratling Gun
30x Clanrats FC w/ Ratling Gun
39x Clanrats w/ Spears FC
5x Poison Wind Globadiers w/ Poison Wind Mortar
5x Poison Wind Globadiers w/ Poison Wind Mortar
Rat Dart
Rat Dart
40x Plague Monks FC w/ Plague Banner
Warp Lightning Cannon

Spells:
Priest 1: Curse of the Midnight Wind, Comet of Cassandora
Priest 2: Iceshard Blizzard, Harmonic Convergence
Grey Seer: Skitterleap, Cracks Call, Wither, Chittering Dissent (my opponent used a homebrew Skaven magic setup to update Skaven magic to 8th edition)
Plague Priest: Pestilent Breath

Deployment:
We decided to play Blood and Glory to try and do something a little different. This meant my flanking moves would be a bit more difficult, but also meant we would start closer which was good for my close combat army as I'd have to deal with his shooting less. My left flank had some large buildings on it, and in the center of the board towards my right there was a large tower. I decided to use the buildings as my left, and then flank fast around the tower, hoping that the tower plus woods would shield my dinosaurs a bit from enemy shooting, particularly the cannon. To accomplish this I put my Ancient Stegadon on the far left flank next to the large Saurus block. The smaller Saurus block took exact center with the Stegadon next to it to move up by the tower. The Skink Cohort with the mages inside went behind this line to provide magic buffs. The Skink Skirmishers went to the far right along with the Carnosaur and Trogolodon.
The Skaven line put the Plague Monks on their far right next to a Clanrat block with a Ratling Gun. The Bell went in the center behind both units of Slaves, and Globadiers and their mortars went behind the Slaves as well. The other Clanrats were to the left of the Slave force and a Rat Dart held the far Skaven left and there was also one near the Monks. The Warp Lightning Cannon took up position right of the Bell.

Initial Plan:
The Carnosaur and Troglodon would be my hammer, advancing around the tower to hit the Skaven flank. I wanted the Skirmishers there to clear out the anticipated Rat Dart chaff that would slow me down. The Saurus would advance to the left of the tower and take the Skaven center, and then the Ancient Stegadon would try to shield the flank of the army from the incoming Plague Monks. My biggest concern was the Plague Monks advancing along the flank, I wasn't sure how well I could slow them down and prevent them from getting into combat.

Lizardmen Turn 1:
No charges. The Lizardmen center advances hesitantly, not wanting to get in average charge range of the Skaven blocks. The Carnosaur and Troglodon aggressively move forwards with the Skink Skirmishers right in front of the Carnosaur.
Magic sees a massive 11 dice phase. I put Harmonic Convergence on the Skirmishers to make it slightly easier for them to remove the rat dart in front of them, and then Iceshard Blizzard was tossed onto a Ratling Gun to reduce the incoming shooting. The Warp Lightning Cannon was out of range of Iceshard unfortunately. Comet of Cassandora is then miscast and placed right in front of the Screaming Bell block, in range to hit the Globadiers, 3 weapons teams, both Slave blocks, and the Bell block. The miscast wounds both Priests once.
Shooting kills 3 rats from the Rat Dart and they panic, retreating towards the board edge.

Skaven Turn 1:
No charges. The rats swarm forwards as rats do. The Monks advance far forwards, one Rat Dart moves up to prevent the Ancient Stegadon from charging the Monks, the Clanrats advance a bit as do the Slaves. On the Skaven left the Rat Dart runs off the board and the other Clanrats shuffle forwards to face the incoming Carnosaur and Troglodon. The Globadiers fan out very quickly to try to avoid the Comet.
Magic sees the Comet not come in, unfortunately, and then a massive 10 dice phase. Wither on the big Saurus block is scrolled, Skitterleap is dispelled. Chittering Dissent is cast on the big Saurus block (D3 hits per rank at the strength of the models in the unit including weapons) and kills 2 of them.
The Warp Lightning Cannon fires towards the Carnosaur but rolls double 2s and misses. One Mortar misfires and cannot shoot this turn, the other hits the big Saurus block and kills 3. The Blizzard-ed Ratling Gun fluffs the rolls and fails to kill any Saurus, the other one kills 2 Saurus from the big block. The Doomrocket fires as well, but a very high roll sees it pass over the big Saurus block.

Lizardmen Turn 2:
The Plague Monks are coming in faster than I expected, so I charged the Skaven Clanrats on their right to get past the Monks, it's an 8" charge and they make it in. If the Clanrats break, the Saurus will move out of the charge arc of the Monks. The Skinks have now wonderfully blocked the Carnosaur, so to solve that little issue the Skinks, Carnosaur, and Troglodon all charge the Clanrat block. In the center the Saurus shuffled forwards a bit with the Stegadon to tempt the Slaves out. I didn't want to charge in as that could make me get hit by the Comet. The Ancient Stegadon moved up beside the rat dart to prevent the Monks from charging him.
Magic sees the Comet not come in again, unfortunately. Harmonic Convergence is cast on the big Saurus block to ensure their victory.
The Ancient Stegadon shoots one Plague Monk, and the Stegadon kills a Ratling Gun with the bolt thrower.
The Saurus lose nothing to the Clanrats and in return kill 12 of the rats, breaking them. The Clanrats flee, are caught, and the Saurus overrun into the Globadiers behind. The monsters perform poorly, though, and only 10 Clanrats die to them, while 4 Skinks are killed as well.

Skaven Turn 2:
The Plague Monks wheel a bit to try and get the Saurus in the rear. The Rat Dart runs past the Ancient Stegadon to get out of the way. Both Slave blocks advance as does the Bell. The Globadiers on the Skaven left circle around to hit the monsters from the back.
The Comet comes in, but at this point only the Bell's unit is in range. 6 rats from the bell die. Magic has another big 11 dice phase, but the Lizards channel twice to even the odds. Wither on the big Saurus block is dispelled, and then Cracks Call is miscast. The Ancient Stegadon is promptly killed. However, the miscast is a Dimensional Cascade and sucks the Grey Seer into the warp and kills 18 Clanrats! But then we remembered the Grey Seer has an Earthing Rod, the miscast is rerolled and instead the Seer loses 2 levels.
The Warp Lightning Cannon tries to shoot the small Saurus block, but again rolls only S2 and fails to kill any. One mortar lands a direct hit on the unit, though, and kills 5. The other mortar promptly explodes and kills the Ratling Gun next to it. The Globadiers then fire into combat and accidentally kill one Clanrat.
The Saurus Warriors kill the Globadiers and overrun forwards. The monsters then kill several Clanrats at the cost of 3 Skinks, break the Clanrats, and run them down.

Lizardmen Turn 3:
The large Saurus unit charges the Warp Lightning Cannon, the Stegadon and the other Saurus block charge the Slaves to their front. The Troglodon and Carnosaur turn to face the rear of the Bell block, the Skirmishers turn to face the Poisoned Wind Mortar.
Iceshard Blizzard gets cast on the Skaven Slaves and Covergence goes onto the small Saurus block.
Shooting removes the Poisoned Wind Mortar.
The combat sees 22 Skaven Slaves die without any Saurus casualties, causing the Slaves to explode. The explosion wounds the Stegadon once and three Slaves from the neighboring unit die. The Warp Lightning Cannon is killed and the Saurus overrun off the board. (this was a rules mistake, I thought that Predatory Fighter forces you to overrun, but it just stops you from testing to restrain pursuit, but you don't have to test to not overrun)

Skaven Turn 3:
The rat dart charges the mage bunker in the flank, the Skaven Slaves charge the Saurus to their front. The Bell reforms to face the incoming Carnosaur, and the Monks reform to chase after the large Saurus block.
Wither is Cubed on the Oldblood, Scorch from the bell is dispelled.
The Globadiers wound the Carnosaur once.
In combat the Saurus kill 13 Slaves at the cost of 1 Saurus. The rat dart proceeds to kill 2 skinks at the cost of 1 rat and the skinks break, but they escape.

Lizardmen Turn 4:
The Troglodon and Carnosaur charge the Screaming Bell unit and the Skinks rally. The Stegadon turns to face the Bell unit and the Skinks move to shoot the Globadiers. The Saurus come back on the board, but unfortunately with only a 4" move they cannot escape the incoming Plague Monks, so they turn to face what's coming.
Curse of the Midnight Wind is cast on the Bell to protect the monsters.
The Troglodon decides to use its Primeval Roar, which nets a few extra attacks for the Saurus as they kill 9 slaves at no loss and the slaves explode, causing no damage. The monsters kill off 11 Clanrats, but the Grey Seer made all 3 of his Ward Saves. The BSB puts 2 wounds on the Troglodon.

Skaven Turn 4:
The Monks charge the Saurus Warriors and the Rat Dart charges the Skinks.
Wither on the Saurus block is dispelled, but Pestilent Breath kills 2 Saurus.
The slaughter then begins as the Plague Censor and the Fumes from the Furnace kill off 5 Saurus Warriors and 1 Monk. The Plague Banner is then activated, and combined with 10 hits coming from the Furnace's ball being dropped, and 6 impact hits, the Saurus Warriors are killed to a lizard. The Scar-Veterans manage to take 7 Monks down, but it's double ones to stay. They cannot manage it, the BSB stands and dies, and the other Scar-Veteran flees off the board as the Monks pursue.
The Skinks manage to kill 2 rats, and lose 1, for a tie combat.
The Troglodon takes another wound and 9 more Clanrats are crushed.

Lizardmen Turn 5:
The Saurus charge the flank of the Bell unit and the Stegadon charges the front.
Harmonic Convergence goes off on the Oldblood.
One Globadier is shot by a Skink.
The rat dart then does the absurd and kills both of the injured Skink Priests and the Skinks fail to kill any rats in revenge.
More promisingly the Clanrats with the Bell are wiped out and the Warplock Engineer takes a wound as does the BSB.

Skaven Turn 5:
The Bell rings and rolls an interesting 16, destroying all of the buildings on the table and killing the Engineer standing next to it. The Plague Monks move towards the Bell to join the battle.
Wither then miscasts onto the Carnosaur and the miscast wounds the Carnosaur, kills the Troglodon, and kills the BSB.
This final horrifying insult caused the Oldblood to unleash his full fury, and after the Oldblood cut off the arm of the Grey Seer for daring to kill the sacred Troglodon the Carnosaur ripped the puny rat in half!

With the death of the Skaven general they have only one banner left and the game ends with a Lizardmen victory!

Thoughts:
I think I played this reasonably well. The Saurus block running off the board after taking out the cannon and then being forced to move back on without a march meant that the Plague Monks were able to catch the block and it was devastating when they did. They shouldn't have overrun the WLC as the overrun isn't actually mandatory as I thought, which could have kept them alive longer and made it hard for the Monks to get into the fight if I had reformed to face to the right and headed towards the center. I also wasn't sure how to handle the rat dart in my rear. Initially I had known they could charge my bunker, but wanted to leave my flank exposed because if I turned to face then the rats could target my Priests and kill them, which they later did. Possibly it would have been better to turn to face and hope to shoot them down with Javelins, but I'm not sure of the effectiveness of that. The flanking move by the Carnosaur and Troglodon worked out, but I would have liked it better if the Skirmishers hadn't been forced to charge too, that was a mistake of placement on my part. My opponent's largest mistake was putting the Monks so far off on the flank where it was reasonably possible for me to avoid them as long as I did. I think they would have done much better in the center.
For the Troglodon I was mildly pleased. It certainly did not perform as terribly as its reputation would suggest. As a fast flanker it did its job, and facing against S3 T3 infantry the S5 T5 issue was not noticed, it was just as survivable and hit nearly as hard as a Carnosaur. The Primeval Roar was supremely disappointing, I think my Carnosaur got 1 extra attack, Oldblood got 1, and the Saurus nearby got 2 from it. I think it would have played better if I had designed my list a bit more around using it, or if it had been near to the large Saurus block when I used it. On the whole, though, I'd much prefer dropping 2 Saurus and taking another Stegadon, which is a disappointment as the model is so glorious.
As a side note, this was my first game with Lizardmen where the Carnosaur survived!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Lizardmen vs Skaven 2500: The Dread Troglodon

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

To me CR, your list looks like a less efficient version of the one we were discussing here:

http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=70809

The Skaven list has the Two Towers which are dangerous to your Infantry. Effectively you lead 2 Scrolls to nil which is very good news. There are lots of Skaven Infantry and you have 4 Monsters which should favour you, as the single Warp Lightning Cannon is not enough. However, Blood and Glory is very dangerous because you start 5 v 7 Fortitude. Breaking Point is 3 at 2500pts, one solid WLC hit on your General (Charmed Shield an idea?) could be curtains.

I’d have been tempted to put the Skirmishers opposite the Plague Monks to buy you time. I’m not sure your opponent should have been so defensive with his Bell. In general I like your deployment better, especially the Monsters overlapping his line on the right.

The Comet didn’t kill much but it did mess with his positioning, though the wounds on your Priests were obviously a pain. Could your foe have reasonably Fled his Clanrats from your big Saurus unit? Again, the Seer’s Miscast was eventful. I feel your Cohort should have been a little bigger to safely bunker your wizards. That would have made Javelining the Rat Dart more favourable, considering you can Stand and Shoot from any distance.

I’ve a nasty feeling you should have lost when your BSB went down, given that reduced your Fortitude to 3. Any other Scenario, a game very well played.
CaledorRises

#3 Post by CaledorRises »

SpellArcher wrote:To me CR, your list looks like a less efficient version of the one we were discussing here:

http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=70809
It most certainly is! While those other minis sit on a table waiting to be painted this was an attempt to make something similar in concept, though it definitely doesn't do the job as well.
SpellArcher wrote: I’ve a nasty feeling you should have lost when your BSB went down, given that reduced your Fortitude to 3. Any other Scenario, a game very well played.
Ah, you are completely correct! We thought that the Fortitude didn't go up to 3 until 3000pts, we were working from memory instead of actually just reading the scenario. That's what we get for trying something other than Battleline! :D
SpellArcher wrote: The Skaven list has the Two Towers which are dangerous to your Infantry. Effectively you lead 2 Scrolls to nil which is very good news. There are lots of Skaven Infantry and you have 4 Monsters which should favour you, as the single Warp Lightning Cannon is not enough. However, Blood and Glory is very dangerous because you start 5 v 7 Fortitude. Breaking Point is 3 at 2500pts, one solid WLC hit on your General (Charmed Shield an idea?) could be curtains.
Yeah, it was not a good scenario for my list. We had designed the lists beforehand and then when we arrived I suggested trying something different for the sake of it and misremembered when the Fortitude went up, so thought that it was 2. I was not aware going in that losing either my general or my Saurus block would have cost me the game, we probably would have played a different scenario in that case.
SpellArcher wrote: I’d have been tempted to put the Skirmishers opposite the Plague Monks to buy you time. I’m not sure your opponent should have been so defensive with his Bell. In general I like your deployment better, especially the Monsters overlapping his line on the right.
His Plague Monks were one of the last units that he dropped and I was surprised to see that they were so far on the flank. By the time they went down my whole army had deployed, so unfortunately I couldn't really counter them. For the Bell my opponent was planning on aggressively pushing forwards with it, but got caught in a trap with my monsters on the far right because on Turn 1 when he tried to push his Bell forwards doing so prevented LOS for his cannon towards my Carnosaur. And that then trapped the Bell in the back for the decisive movement phases.
SpellArcher wrote: The Comet didn’t kill much but it did mess with his positioning, though the wounds on your Priests were obviously a pain. Could your foe have reasonably Fled his Clanrats from your big Saurus unit? Again, the Seer’s Miscast was eventful. I feel your Cohort should have been a little bigger to safely bunker your wizards. That would have made Javelining the Rat Dart more favourable, considering you can Stand and Shoot from any distance.
The Clanrats could definitely have fled. How much that would have changed things I'm not sure since I could have redirected into the Ratling Gun right next to the Clanrats. I think my opponent didn't flee for two main reasons, firstly it was an 8" charge and therefore there was about a 50% chance that I fail it, sticking my Saurus in an uncomfortable position, and secondly even if I did make it if my Saurus rolled poorly in CC the Clanrats might have been Steadfast in which case the Plague Monks could have charged them in the flank. The first possibility I planned to cover with the Ancient Stegadon angling beside them to catch the Monks, even with rerolling hits and wounds I thought the Stegadon might have a decent change of surviving one round before the Saurus could counter-charge. The second possibility was unlikely and it was probably a mistake to be hoping much for it.
The cohort being bigger is something I'd like to do, again I'm just hamstrung by only having 20 painted Skinks!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

CaledorRises wrote:Plague Monks were one of the last units that he dropped and I was surprised to see that they were so far on the flank. By the time they went down my whole army had deployed, so unfortunately I couldn't really counter them.
The answer to this is more units of Skirmishers but I’m sure you and your painting schedule are aware of that CR.

:)

Ever run a Slann?
CaledorRises

#5 Post by CaledorRises »

SpellArcher wrote: Ever run a Slann?
I have not. In fact, and I'm sure this will get me the eternal ire of every Lizardmen player, I do not even own a Slann. I'd like to get one at some point, but there are a few things stopping me from having one right now. Firstly is the very simple fact that my Temple Guard are all still in boxes. In case you hadn't gathered, I've got hundreds of models still in boxes. :D Secondly I've always loved the Carnosaur a huge amount and it's very difficult to run both. But also if you run a Slann so much of your list gets built into that one model. The Slann will likely be over 400 points, then you have to buy a sizeable Temple Guard block to put him in, and then after all that depending on your Slann build the Slann might not want to be in combat but the super expensive Temple Guard obviously do. It just seems like to field a Slann you need to fill core with tons of Skinks to get board control to avoid your Temple Guard getting into unfavorable combats and then you need to spend ~400 points on a Temple Guard block and then ~400 points on a Slann, then the rest of your list might be more open, but at that point you don't have much to work with. The Slann just doesn't seem to mesh very well with my favored Monster Mash style list, and that's really what's kept me from getting one thus far. Will have to buy one at some point though, before GW stops making them.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

CaledorRises wrote:I do not even own a Slann.
That’s straight-up awesome!

=D>
CaledorRises wrote:It just seems like to field a Slann you need to fill core with tons of Skinks to get board control to avoid your Temple Guard getting into unfavorable combats
I agree with this but you are getting quite a lot with this set-up of course. The magic can win games and TG are very reliable. The Skink cloud is a nightmare for a lot of opponents, board control obviously and the Poison can really bite at times. Saurus blocks aren’t great IMHO. They’re slow and the S4 is not enough against anything good. Cohorts are interesting.
CaledorRises wrote:The Slann just doesn't seem to mesh very well with my favored Monster Mash style list
Fair point and I really like the idea of the Carnosaur and buddies.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:Saurus blocks aren’t great IMHO. They’re slow and the S4 is not enough against anything good. Cohorts are interesting.
On the other hand, it's pretty decent for a core unit. I would rather have S4 T4 then the HE spearmen. S4 is not impressive, but there are some good targets for a S4 unit. After all, everyone has to field some core units. Also, they're a good buff target. And with a Slann in the list you should be able to help them out somewhat. Can they actually take a magical banner? The razor banner could really help them out for instance.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
CaledorRises

#8 Post by CaledorRises »

SpellArcher wrote: I agree with this but you are getting quite a lot with this set-up of course. The magic can win games and TG are very reliable. The Skink cloud is a nightmare for a lot of opponents, board control obviously and the Poison can really bite at times. Saurus blocks aren’t great IMHO. They’re slow and the S4 is not enough against anything good. Cohorts are interesting.
Yeah, I'm definitely not saying that the setup doesn't work! There's a reason the Skink Cloud is so popular as is the Slann. I'm just not overly fond of how mandatory it is. I like changing my lists rather frequently just to give some variety to myself and my opponent, though I'm sure that it's a bit detrimental as I don't get enough experience with each list to play it optimally. With the Slann it just seems a bit tougher to modify lists as there are more mandatory units.
SpellArcher wrote: Fair point and I really like the idea of the Carnosaur and buddies.
Hopefully it won't be a hugely long time before I get enough stuff painted to play it!
Prince of Spires wrote: On the other hand, it's pretty decent for a core unit. I would rather have S4 T4 then the HE spearmen. S4 is not impressive, but there are some good targets for a S4 unit. After all, everyone has to field some core units. Also, they're a good buff target. And with a Slann in the list you should be able to help them out somewhat. Can they actually take a magical banner? The razor banner could really help them out for instance.
I agree with this. The S4, T4, 2 attacks makes them able to match/beat most enemy core units I've encountered excepting Chaos Warriors, though heavy cav is very tough to face. They can also reasonably handle a lot of special units, though admittedly they usually need to outnumber other specials or have decent support. Unfortunately Saurus cannot take a magic banner, only Temple Guard can. The Razor Standard would make them amazing, but to get it you'd need a BSB in the unit, and I usually give my BSBs magic equipment anyways to make them not die as quickly.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

I feel whether Saurus are stronger than other books’ Core combat Infantry is not the crucial question here. Some have better (Chaos Warriors, Witch Elves, Plaguebearers). But strong lists (which are what we need to build against) often don’t need to bring such troops at all. M4 Saurus are not very effective against Glade Guard, Inner Circle Knights or massed Skinks for example.

It’s helpful to ask, what does the unit do? Saurus are S4 which is no use vs armour and mediocre generally. They don’t have a Ward or Regen save, they aren’t Stubborn or ITP. They can’t bring a magic standard for AP or Flaming. Yes, they are good at killing other books’ weaker Core Infantry but so are lots of other things and the lists to worry about won’t bring much of that anyway.

There’s little point to bringing them in a Slann list because TG do the job better. I can see a block of them in the Carnosaur list to give some stability and safely bunker a BSB (which would help the Stegadons). But arguably that list wants him on a Carnosaur to keep up with the Oldblood.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

Some valid points in there. Are TG core when bringing a Slann? (Showing my lack of knowledge of the LM book here...) If so then they are a better option, definitely.

It probably depends what you're up against. Having some relatively cheap bodies with ranks can help a lot. Especially in a monster heavy list you need some ranks if you want to prevent being stuck in combat for ages against deeper units. Against something like skaven you would want those boots on the ground and there I think Saurus warriors will work. An added benefit there would be that with monsters you have the threat projection you need to get the M4 units to where they need to be.
SpellArcher wrote:They don’t have a Ward or Regen save, they aren’t Stubborn or ITP.
Cold blooded already helps a bit though.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
CaledorRises

#11 Post by CaledorRises »

Temple Guard are always a Special choice. The Slann builds that I have seen either field one block of Saurus Warriors in Core with the rest filled with Skinks, or just fill all of Core with Skinks. I can see the value of keeping the Saurus block because you aren't putting all of your CC ability into a single block of Temple Guard, you have the second block to engage enemy secondary units and just generally provide a bit more flexibility, though it comes at the cost of board control.