Painting again

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Painting again

#301 Post by Prince of Spires »

The unarmoured archers are my favorite HE models in the entire range I think (not counting characters). They don't have all the extra junk the newer models have, but they are a clear step up from the older models in terms of details and character. I'm always surprised they don't hold the same collectors value that some of the other old HE models have, like the metal LSG or Maiden Guard. Those are pricey in most cases (though every now and then you do find a good deal). But those archers are usually just archers in terms of pricing.

I like what you've done with them as well. Blue and white works very well on these old models. And the banner is lovely as well.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:The next unit I plan to start is a bit of a change of pace. And maybe a small mistake. Unless I move the line to far (it was intended to be pre92- not a mistake, but I think I've gone up to 95.
Careful. It's a slippery slope. Before you know it you'll move on to "modern" stuff from the '00 just to be sort of complete ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#302 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote: Careful. It's a slippery slope. Before you know it you'll move on to "modern" stuff from the '00 just to be sort of complete ;)

Rod
I picked up 4 of the characters from 00 at the same time I picked up a bunch of the metal glade guard (the reason I decided to go past 92, there just weren't enough WE spears before that), and scarlocs archers (the reason I picked up the lot to begin with), and some post 92 wardancers. I'm really torn on if I like the newer range at all. A couple minis seem like they'd be fun to paint, others are just to weird.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#303 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:A couple minis seem like they'd be fun to paint, others are just to weird.
I think you'll have no trouble ignoring the really modern stuff then. Unless you are into flying sharks and the likes of course.

;)

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#304 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:A couple minis seem like they'd be fun to paint, others are just to weird.
I think you'll have no trouble ignoring the really modern stuff then. Unless you are into flying sharks and the likes of course.

;)
Yeah, GW really jumped the shark on that one
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Painting again[url=https://imgur.com/lTFFYeb][img]http:/

#305 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Not quite sure how to explain what happened here. I started the Skarlocs unit, but this got assembled, primed, and painted without me intending to.

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#306 Post by Luna Guardian »

Then the winged hussars arrived! Dragons riding down the mountainside!

Very nice, love the old dragon model :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#307 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

He does have that Hussar look. Somewhat common in Warhammer back then, but rare in High Elves. I'd recommend that model to anyone if they can find it. I enjoyed painting it a lot.

I realized that my Oldhammer High Elves travel in style so I took a picture. As far as newer transportation, all I currently have painted is a lion chariot.

Olthannon

#308 Post by Olthannon »

I saw that model on ebay the other day and I almost snapped it up but was too busy close to the time and missed the final bidding war. Absolutely lovely model, even if the dragon looks a bit odd!
One foot in the hobby
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#309 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Olthannon wrote:I saw that model on ebay the other day and I almost snapped it up but was too busy close to the time and missed the final bidding war. Absolutely lovely model, even if the dragon looks a bit odd!
I rather like the dragon, even if only as a change of pace from the later S shaped dragons that dominated the 90s and 00s
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#310 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think there are actually a lot of elements in the current plastic HE dragon that are already seen in this one. The long, narrow body, the barding on its back, the claws and wings and the shape of its head. Yes, the current one is more advanced in terms of modelling. But the resemblance is there.

Well done on the paint job. The red of the dragon contrasts very nicely with the blue/white of the rider. He does look fun to paint. I found that I really enjoy painting larger models. The give relatively fast results for less effort then complete units. And of course, you can't go wrong with big, flying lizards...

And your oldhammer elves really do travel in style. That collection looks awesome!

Rod

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#311 Post by Olthannon »

Oh don't get me wrong I love the dragon model, it looks bad ass crawling along the ground like that. When I first started in the hobby I always meant to try and get it.

What I meant when it looks odd is more the scale in comparison to the rider. Given that his legs are past its neck, either he is gigantic or it's a wee dragon.
One foot in the hobby
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#312 Post by Luna Guardian »

Olthannon wrote: What I meant when it looks odd is more the scale in comparison to the rider. Given that his legs are past its neck, either he is gigantic or it's a wee dragon.
GW has never been particularly good with consistency or scale...

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#313 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Olthannon wrote:Oh don't get me wrong I love the dragon model, it looks bad ass crawling along the ground like that. When I first started in the hobby I always meant to try and get it.

What I meant when it looks odd is more the scale in comparison to the rider. Given that his legs are past its neck, either he is gigantic or it's a wee dragon.
True, dragons were a bit tough back then. This is probably one of the first that doesn't gradually (or not gradually) collapse under it's own weight.
Olthannon

#314 Post by Olthannon »

I guess starting out as a dnd model firm has meant that on the whole their dragon models have always been pretty great. I've yet to pick up the newest one, it looks rather sinuous. The last dragon I got was Imrik from 6th edition, which is lovely but his bloody lance keeps snapping off.
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#315 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:That collection looks awesome!
This. Dual Attack Chariots for the win!

:)

Dragon somewhere near 1990?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#316 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

1992 I think. A lot of the Marauder Monster mounted High Elves seem to be 92. Unicon, Eagle, and dragon for sure. Pegasus and griffon are probably 92 or 93.

A unit of 18 (including all 4 command) Skarlocs archers should be done by next week. I've also got 4e Imrik and Skaw primed, along with 5 Oerons Archers (Oeron, but no other command yet, all slotta version) ready to start. But I'm thinking about doing some armored archers instead.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#317 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:But I'm thinking about doing some armored archers instead.
The 5th Edition ones?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#318 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I believe they are a mix of 4th and 5th, but they are the ones you are thinking of
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#319 Post by SpellArcher »

Gary Morley? I always liked them, the armour made them seem a bit ‘Biblical’ to me, chariot-era. Quite a change from Jes Goodwin’s 4th Edition guys.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#320 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I think they are a mix of morley and Goodwin. Morley is a strange one for me. He's done some of my least favorite minis. Nagash and Ariel for example. He also did the 5th edition wardancers, which I really like.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#321 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Still painting a bit on scarlocs here and there as I get time. I'm really hoping to have them done before the weekend.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#322 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Morley is a strange one for me. He's done some of my least favorite minis. Nagash and Ariel for example. He also did the 5th edition wardancers, which I really like.
I agree, really hit and miss. His LSG are very popular of course.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Still painting a bit on scarlocs here and there as I get time. I'm really hoping to have them done before the weekend.
Looking forward to seeing these Shannar.
Olthannon

#323 Post by Olthannon »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Still painting a bit on scarlocs here and there as I get time. I'm really hoping to have them done before the weekend.
Would love to see those painted up, I've come so close to grabbing those on ebay a few times but never nabbed the time.
One foot in the hobby
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#324 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

They are pretty cool. I managed to grab a bunch of them at $2.25 each, but with no shields. Tonight I will be making greenstuff copies of a couple of the original round plastic ones. The painting is so close to done. But with the shields and bases to go they won't be done before the weekend.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#325 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Just bases and bowstrings left. These have taken far longer than I expected. I enjoyed painting them, and they weren't particularly difficult. I've just had a harder time sitting down to paint lately.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#326 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I enjoyed painting them, and they weren't particularly difficult.
I find Jes Goodwin gives you a fair few things to paint but you rarely have the ‘will I even have to try freehand here’ problem.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#327 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I need to do some tattoos on the wardancer for the unit (I keep forgetting to do them), but that's about the only free hand that would make any sense with these. Even the shields don't really have space for anything.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#328 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Done! I took some pictures, but the lighting was awful so I'll have to redo them tomorrow.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#329 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's a major cliffhanger. The suspense is killing me...

;)

:) looking forward to it.

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#330 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I cut the unit from 18 to 12 (one of each sculpt). I didn't want to do that many bowstrings, and I don't like huge units for scouts anyway.