Elven castles

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Elven castles

#1 Post by Luna Guardian »

This is a subject that I've been thinking about recently, there aren't any real options available on the market for an elven castle or fortress for siege games. Since the latest rules expansion for Kings of War has siege rules that I really want to try out, I'd like to have one that looks elven. I've accepted the fact, that I will probably have to make one from scratch, but since I am not a designer, I'm not sure how to go about making one.

Has anyone built and/or designed your own elven fortress for this purpose? Maybe a display board with a citadel-flair? With Warhammer Total War we have a lot of reference pictures:

There are some pictures of completed projects that I've found, but they don't quite look right to me:

This is the closest to what I've been thinking, but it seems to be rather difficult to store anywhere: http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic ... 0&start=80

Does anyone have ideas?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Olthannon

Re: Elven castles

#2 Post by Olthannon »

Years and years ago I had some elven watchtowers and small fortress walls but they've long since gone in the tip. Shame really because I was well into Art Attack and loving the pva at the time.
I think I used some artwork from the 5th edition rules and some art from lotr. Tall peaked designs with sloping arches, lovely domes etc. I made metallic bronze rooves as opposed to the usual blue.
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

There have been a few HE terrain posts here over the years. Though I can't find back most of them and from the others the pictures disappeared. I did find this link: http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic ... 0&start=80 for a HE castle.

I myself have been looking at Hirst Arts molds for terrain making. They offer a lot of very nice molds which lets you cast your own building blocks for terrain making. Some very generic stuff but also some more specific and detailed items. They've been getting some great reviews online. So they are definitely an option if you want to go down that route.

If you have access to a 3D printer, then I guess there's lots of options available for that. Though it might take some searching to get nice printable plans.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

So. I've decided to go the 3D printer route. I'm a civil engineer. I say that only because 3d modeling is right up my ally. IF I decide I want to spend more time on the computer for 3d modeling for fun, and not just work I think I'll be able to do some nice designs. We'll see though.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#5 Post by Luna Guardian »

Super excited to hear that, Shannar! Any chance you might share your designs? If so, might I make a few suggestions?
1) consider the printing time. It may be better to print several pieces to assemble rather than individual large pieces
2) If something doesn't NEED to be printed, it might be better to not. For example, for a section of wall the wall itself can be a solid block of foam, but the ramparts and "accoutrements" are far easier to print than carve (example, this tower)

Not wanting to tell you how to do your job, just trying to help :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The plan is to share.

And for sure the foam/3d combination is the most powerful. Even back when I was into Hirst arts I tried to match it with foam, simply to same time.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#7 Post by Luna Guardian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:The plan is to share.
You're a gentleman and a scholar =D>

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote:
You're a gentleman and a scholar =D>
+1 to that :)

What are you Hirst arts experiences? Any models you can share?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#9 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I very much have a love/hate relationship with Hirst Arts. The results can be fantastic, but you'll put a ton more time into it than you expect. My best advice would be to take 20 mins every day and do a casting with all your molds. This only works if you have a dedicated space so you don't have to clean everything up every time.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#10 Post by Luna Guardian »

And for sure the foam/3d combination is the most powerful. Even back when I was into Hirst arts I tried to match it with foam, simply to same time.
I don't mean to rush you, but I haven't been this excited about something since I was a kid waiting for Christmas, any updates?

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#11 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, the printer has arrived, but I've nothad time to put it together yet.
As to any design work, I've only played around with very basic outlines of what I want it to look like. I'll want a lot more interesting details for sure.