Painting again

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Painting again

#271 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:The cat ... was purrfect.
#-o =D> :lol: :lol:
That gave me a good laugh early in the morning :)

How do you make your own decals? can you just get paper to print them on? I really like the idea. Never thought about it.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Olthannon

#272 Post by Olthannon »

I really like those models, I don't know what the obsession GW had with tassels on spears but I feel like nearly every fantasy army had that look!

Looking forward to seeing more!
One foot in the hobby
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#273 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:The cat ... was purrfect.
#-o =D> :lol: :lol:
That gave me a good laugh early in the morning :)

How do you make your own decals? can you just get paper to print them on? I really like the idea. Never thought about it.

Rod
Ja, you can get decal paper. And with the quality of home printers these days they come out pretty nice. If you use an ink jet printer there is also a sealer that you need to put over them, after they dry for about 8 hours. It ends up being over a day before I confident to put them in water. Since these were going on a flat surface I probably could have just used a clear acrylic spray. It seems the process is much better on a laser printer.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#274 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:do still need to make a baggage train,
The words of a serious hobbyist.

:)
Shannar, Sealord wrote:the banner.
Works very well I feel Shannar.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:The cat came with a female vampire.
5th Edition I fancy. Neferata?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#275 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, it's gone to the next level of serious. I've 99% convinced myself to pick up a 3D printer. It's another hobby to learn I think, but done right it will support this one well.

I was pretty pleased with the banner. It works well to represent Lothern, and the sea dragon ties it into the rest of the army without looking out of place. And I was forced to brush up on my photoshop. It's always good to do that before the skills are completely gone.

I've currently got warmaster stuff on the table. 6 eagles are almost done, along with the eagle part of a hero. After that I've got a unit of spears a unit of archers, a wizard, and 6 RBTs ready to go. The plan is to paint them in the same colors as my sea elf stuff. After that I should either work up to 2000pts of warmaster or finally finish the Man O' War fleet. Odds are I'll get distraced and paint something for Mordheim or more old elves instead...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#276 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: Odds are I'll get distraced
When there's piles of models everywhere it's more important to keep moving then exactly in what direction you're moving ;)

Thanks for the info on the decal paper. I've only got a regular ink jet printer at home. So getting some sealer is the way to go there. But it does give some nice options to get fancier banners etc done.

The 3D printer is a nice idea. They're getting better and cheaper as time moves forward. Especially if it's mainly models you want to print then a small one would be good enough. And they are priced such that they pay themselves back after a handful of models I think. The tricky part probably is finding the printing templates (whatever they're called).

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#277 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:warmaster
Have you had many games of this Shannar? Always liked the look of it, I’m a sucker for the smaller scales. The High Elves looked great too.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#278 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Maybe 5 games in my life. But it's a really good game. Last year I found a heck of deal on a HE army and simply could not pass on it.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#279 Post by Prince of Spires »

Can you still find the rules for it somewhere? Of is that mainly a case of hunting around ebay for an elusive rule book?

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#280 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Unless you speak French your best bet is to google Warmaster Revolutions. It's an updated (free) ruleset, with some of the changes that Warmaster Historical brought in. It's really good, and pretty much the standard ruleset in use. The French seem to have done that first, and stuck with their own very similar ruleset.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#281 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

First, the Sea Elf army is complete. This is over 2000pts, but gives me room to play around a bit. I forgot to do a tray for the scouts. And I need to do two archers, but I'm waiting to find #21 in the MM81 range so I can paint them at the same time.

Second, this 10mm stuff is for the birds.

Actually the eagles were pretty fun, but the spears and archers I'm working on now are a challenge. I finished a marauder unicorn, and the rider is almost done, as a break from the tiny stuff. I think I'll have to mix in some of my 28mm Elf heroes and the like just to keep from getting to frustrated with the tiny stuff.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#282 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's a nice looking army. Fun to see how the size of a Warhammer army has increased through the years. An 8th ed. 2000pts army is probably 2 - 2.5 times the number of models.

The eagles are nice as well. You've gotten a lot of details in there for such a tiny size.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#283 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Compared to the MoW eagles these are giant haha. I'm also working on one of these with a rider. The hard part about 10mm is sometimes the sculpts are just good enough that I feel the need to paint the eyes. Sometimes they aren't. So do I paint the eyes? I decided yes on heros, archers, and the front rank of the spearmen. It's hard on the bolt thrower. One of the crew it's a yes, the others you can't really find the eyes to paint them.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#284 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:First, the Sea Elf army is complete.
=D>
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I feel the need to paint the eyes.
You sir, are far too dedicated!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#285 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The people who are far to dedicated are the ones who have more than one painted army at 10mm. I was really thinking I'd like to add Goblins, and maybe Empire. I've changed my mind. I think it'll be really cool when these are done. Right now I have no desire to repeat the process (and a lot of units to go).

If someone was crazy enough to try to sculpt them I should try to be crazy enough to paint them. Where the sculptor succeeded I mostly did as well. Though when I look at them without the magnifier I use when painting I wonder why I bothered :D They are coming along pretty well. Still tons to do, so I'm not going to guess when they will be finished.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#286 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The warmaster stuff is progressing well. I'm almost done with a hero on eagle, and I'm rather pleased with it. The rank and file are slower, but coming along well. But, I did have to finish this.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#287 Post by Prince of Spires »

For me, though that's at the larger WH scale, painting the eyes really finishes off the model. It's usually the last thing I do to a model. And they make big difference for me. At the smaller scale I'm not sure. Though I do feel that sometimes even the things you don't consciously see still matter for the overall feel of the unit. Or perhaps that's just my justification for sometimes spending way to much time on a model...

The unicorn is looking good :D

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#288 Post by SpellArcher »

Loving the flowers!

I have that model. Somewhere...
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#289 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The 4 year old was offering her advice. "No rocks, or he will trip" And "lots of flowers, but only pink, and purple is ok too."
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#290 Post by SpellArcher »

I’m surprised she didn’t get you to paint him rainbow-coloured.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#291 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The suggestion that he look like one of her my little ponies was made...

The 5th edition unarmored archers are coming along well. I'd guess they'll be finished (at least ready to base) by next weekend.

The warmaster stuff is coming along slowly....
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#292 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:The 4 year old was offering her advice. "No rocks, or he will trip" And "lots of flowers, but only pink, and purple is ok too."
:lol: =D>
Can't argue with that... I can really imagine that happening :)

We had a plog a while back (I think it was by Ptolomy) where he let his kid pick the colors for his army. It ended up a riot of pinks and purples indeed. But it somehow worked.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#293 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Unarmored archers are done, except the bases and a banner. Even the bowstrings are done. A warmaster hero is ready to base, and my 4th edition shadow warriors now have an Eternal Champion to lead them (and bring the model count up to 5...)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#294 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I realized that my Merchant Company didn't have their mascot yet. It's good, one less wood elf required for that unit now, and the HE will finish it up when I find it.

My warmaster "army" now has a hero to lead the eagles.

Croum decided to become a Shadow Warrior. I thought he fit fairly well, and there are only 4 sculpts of the 4e ones. You have to have at least 5...

And the Unarmored archers.
The next unit I plan to start is a bit of a change of pace. And maybe a small mistake. Unless I move the line to far (it was intended to be pre92- not a mistake, but I think I've gone up to 95. I got a steal on some 6e ones too, but the look is different enough that I think I'll be able to sell those on without regret). On a related note, if anyone is looking for 6th edition wood elf heros let me know.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#295 Post by Luna Guardian »

Love how the bottom right archer is aiming at the ground like "I see you there, ant. You won't steal my sugary treats again!" :lol:

I find the commitment to the older minis quite nice, with the paintjob you've given them they look really striking, especially compared to a lot of the rather "hyper" figures of later years

EDIT: BTW, how did you do the bowstrings? Are they also painted, or au naturel?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#296 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Bowstrings are thread, knots, and a bit of superglue.

I really like the old minis. They may lack some of the "detail" of they newer stuff, but they also don't have tons of extra junk all over. They also have a ton of character that I think most of the newer ones lack. Of course both the older and the newer have great minis and real bad ones as well.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#297 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

and that archer has his arrow on the wrong side of the bow. It's sculpted that way, not one that I added. It's a weird one for sure.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#298 Post by SpellArcher »

Nice work Shannar.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:mascot
I thought it was Gollum at first!
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Croum decided to become a Shadow Warrior.
As an Eternal Champion, he’s probably ready for the Long War.
Luna Guardian wrote:Love how the bottom right archer is aiming at the ground like "I see you there, ant. You won't steal my sugary treats again!"
:lol:
elendor_f

#299 Post by elendor_f »

Luna Guardian wrote:Love how the bottom right archer is aiming at the ground like "I see you there, ant. You won't steal my sugary treats again!" :lol:
:lol:

I really like to visit this thread to see some models for the first time in my life, it's like a time machine :D
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#300 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Haha glad I can help. There should be some more 80s goodness coming. It's a unit of 20, and I still have to strip a few, so it might be a month of so off.