Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Mireadur's log Back with wights/elves 20/01/19

#1021 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Good to see you are back at it. I noticed my skills had declined after just 3 months off, so I'm sure 10 had an effect on you. But, you should have every confidence that they will come back quickly.
Mireadur

#1022 Post by Mireadur »

yes thanks! painting dirty is god's blessing when you are looking to find your way back ^^. I finished another, tomorrow more.

Im using black as main colour for robes, apart from that my idea is to use different colours for each warrior in their shields, leathers, etc. Like bands of warriors instead of a more organized army. This will work for all i think except the grave guard which will be representing bodyguards of the lord. Even the black knights i think will be painted more like individual knights we shall see as thats very far away for now.

Im also trying different washes on the bones to add some more variation kinda like what i did with the orc skins.

Apart from that just going on and see how it goes along the way.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1023 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice to see you about and painting again :)

I can imagine that the finer points of painting fade a bit after a while. Though your baseline is still pretty good if these skeletons are anything to go by. I like them. I can see how they might be slightly easier to get right then something which wasn't dug up and re-animated ;)
Mireadur wrote:Im using black as main colour for robes, apart from that my idea is to use different colours for each warrior in their shields, leathers, etc. Like bands of warriors instead of a more organized army.
Perhaps you could use one of the different races as the basis for each of your regiments. As in, a whole unit was raised at one go from a battle field somewhere, where a unit of empire / dwarf / elf soldiers died (with some random other models mixed in, since a battle is always messy). Black knights could then easily be a unit of bretonian knights brought back (which fits with the individual looks for them as well).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1024 Post by Mireadur »

thanks prince, well using skeletons of different races would be really hard. are they really available other than the cursed company ones? anyway is imposible as i already bought +100 hundred of GW skellies :mrgreen:

1 more. Im really happy i recovered the passion for painting, that feeling of arriving home from work and sitting on the desk with impatience, if you know what i mean. It had been so long this didnt happen!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#1025 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

reapermini has some nice halfling/elf/dwarf skeletons I know.

But those would only be as an alternative to the cursed company, even in bones they aren't cheap compared to getting a decent price on plastic GW or Mantic skelltons.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1026 Post by SpellArcher »

I’ve seen so many Undead armies of a very high technical standard, yet the painters couldn’t make the dark colour schemes stand out. I think you’ve a good chance of avoiding that Mireadur.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1027 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote:thanks prince, well using skeletons of different races would be really hard. are they really available other than the cursed company ones? anyway is imposible as i already bought +100 hundred of GW skellies
Probably not indeed. Though I was initially more thinking in terms of unit colors and accessories. Where you can justify having units with a more universal color scheme and specific weapons / shields, which marks them as coming from the same origin.

Great to hear the motivation is coming back. It's always nice to start a new project.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1028 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:I’ve seen so many Undead armies of a very high technical standard, yet the painters couldn’t make the dark colour schemes stand out. I think you’ve a good chance of avoiding that Mireadur.
Thanks, i hope to improve as i paint more and more skellies, its the 1st time ever in 22 years i get to paint them other than some decoration skulls here and there you know.
Prince of Spires wrote:
Mireadur wrote:thanks prince, well using skeletons of different races would be really hard. are they really available other than the cursed company ones? anyway is imposible as i already bought +100 hundred of GW skellies
Probably not indeed. Though I was initially more thinking in terms of unit colors and accessories. Where you can justify having units with a more universal color scheme and specific weapons / shields, which marks them as coming from the same origin.

Great to hear the motivation is coming back. It's always nice to start a new project.

Rod
Umm maybe, anyway the idea i had in mind is to paint them as units of loose individuals kinda like norsemen or clansmen where each warrior got its own heraldry on their shields, maybe even belonging to opposing armies which have been digged close by. Still keeping black as army binder... Other than the bones themselves! :mrgreen:

I think the aged metals go a long way in making an skeleton army look good, its an incredible simple way to paint the metal but the result is pretty decent i believe.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log Back with wights/elves 25/01/19

#1029 Post by Mireadur »

2 more! Overexposed.. The table reflects too much light :/

Unit's slowly taking shape, 1 more tomorrow and then command. I think ive got a good grip on this now.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. More and more skellies raising up 26/01/

#1030 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:think ive got a good grip on this now.
+1

Good definition.
Olthannon

#1031 Post by Olthannon »

I like the newer skeletons as much as I like the thicker older ones. Love the definition, looks great!
One foot in the hobby
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#1032 Post by Galharen »

Those skellies look really good! you are back in the game;)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1033 Post by Prince of Spires »

Indeed, the unit is coming together nicely. Though it must be said that the kite-shield of the first of those two skeletons looks a bit too solid for my taste. A bit like he picked it up from somewhere instead of bringing along his own shield from long ago ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1034 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks guys, i finished the banner today, this weekend ill paint the musician and probably a rocklobber or a ballista.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1035 Post by Prince of Spires »

I always wondered why a skeleton unit would add a skeleton to their banner. It's a bit like they're putting up one of their buddies for display. You don't see dwarves tying another dwarf to a pole for a banner... Perhaps it's just so they have some spare parts lying around (which would explain crumbling one less due to the banner).

Either way, the model looks great. You're really getting the hang of skeletons. The subtle colors on the model work very well. And the unit is lovely. They clearly belong together but also still manage to look like some pulled together rabble.

Rod

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1036 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:I always wondered why a skeleton unit would add a skeleton to their banner. It's a bit like they're putting up one of their buddies for display. You don't see dwarves tying another dwarf to a pole for a banner... Perhaps it's just so they have some spare parts lying around (which would explain crumbling one less due to the banner).

Either way, the model looks great. You're really getting the hang of skeletons. The subtle colors on the model work very well. And the unit is lovely. They clearly belong together but also still manage to look like some pulled together rabble.

Rod
Lol true, but well, every evil army hangs bones from their poles... Why would skeletons do different? hahahaha

Thanks for the cheers!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1037 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I always wondered why a skeleton unit would add a skeleton to their banner.
I love him! Maybe he’s a Lookout?

:)
Olthannon

#1038 Post by Olthannon »

Prince of Spires wrote:I always wondered why a skeleton unit would add a skeleton to their banner. It's a bit like they're putting up one of their buddies for display.
I don't know if any of you have been playing Sea of Thieves but at one point the skeleton pirates tied someone to a pole just to be scary.

The unit is looking great all together, can't wait to see the full regiment.

Edit: Here's the trailer for that - https://youtu.be/jFJ2MTLm1vI
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1039 Post by Prince of Spires »

Olthannon wrote: Edit: Here's the trailer for that - https://youtu.be/jFJ2MTLm1vI
:lol: That could be it.

I do think though that seeing a dwarf tied to a pole by a unit of dwarves might be scarier though. Or an Orc for a unit of goblins. After all, skeletons seem like a fairly common sight in the WH world, so it's basically just spare parts they are lugging around. They're fairly mindless and come cheap. On the other hand, a unit of dwarves that has the nerve to actually tie up another dwarf and lug him around, now they are bad-ass. You don't want to mess with them.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1040 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:After all, skeletons seem like a fairly common sight in the WH world, so it's basically just spare parts they are lugging around.
Maybe the standard didn’t start off as a skeleton?

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#1041 Post by Luna Guardian »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:After all, skeletons seem like a fairly common sight in the WH world, so it's basically just spare parts they are lugging around.

That actually makes a ton of sense, and the vampire/necromancer would appreciate the grimness of it "Look at your hero, see what happens to those that oppose me!"

Also, given that skeletons and other lower undead are mindless, having banners and horns for morale purposes is a bit odd to begin with
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1042 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:

=D>
That makes sense. Especially if you factor in that skeletons don't have to eat or drink themselves. And since they are pretty mindless they'd probably forget to feed their banner on time...

Thanks for clearing this up for me. One less Warhammer issue to worry about.

Rod

Check out my plog

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mireadur's log. skeleton ballista 07/02/19

#1044 Post by Prince of Spires »

The look suitably tough, scary and more likely to miss what they're shooting at then to hit. :)

I really like the wood. Simple brown, wash, brown drybrush?

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1045 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:and more likely to miss what they're shooting at then to hit. :)
hahaha yes... i guess ).
Prince of Spires wrote:I really like the wood. Simple brown, wash, brown drybrush?
The truth is im not totally sure? :mrgreen: . I think did dark brown (dryad bark).. vermin brown dry brush then xv88 brown in lines. then a generous undilluted dark brown wash because i wanted it to look darker and more aged and finally bleached bone in very thin lines and more prominent places. it was really quick anyhow.
Last edited by Mireadur on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1046 Post by SpellArcher »

I really like it, interesting model and some depth to the dark colours.
Lynve

#1047 Post by Lynve »

Pardon me for being unoriginal, but the way you painted the wood is simply amazing. Even more so if you mention how quicky you actually achieved such an effect.
Can't wait to see them skellies done and based!
Mireadur

#1048 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks for the thumbs up guys, heres another ballista. Tomorrow i should have done the crew.

For this one i changed the last light: Vomit brown instead of bone. For the rest the same, dryad bark, bestial brown dry brush (was not vermin but bestial), brown wash, xv88 in lines, vomit brown in the edges and thinner lines.

Still my best wood of all time i think it was this:

There i used a variety of different wood colours which im not sure i could reproduce nowadays :mrgreen:
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#1049 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

When they are kind enough to texture the model good looking wood is fast and easy. When they don't it becomes very difficult. I'll always be impressed with people who do it on bows and make it look right.
There i used a variety of different wood colours which im not sure i could reproduce nowadays
Probably not, but you'd get close enough. Those work really nice for an orc machine.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#1050 Post by Luna Guardian »

Really amazing work! What are you using the ballistas as? Did the VC get warmachines while I wasn't looking?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians