There's Fourteen Ways To Skin A Dwarf

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Karak Norn Clansman

There's Fourteen Ways To Skin A Dwarf

#1 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Orc campfire song (6:40):

There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf
Skin a dwarf, skin a dwarf
Fourteen ways to skin a dwarf
And here is number seven

Wrap his beard around a plank
Give that plank a mighty yank
Peel him right down to his shank
And now there's seven more...

And then there's even more!

Howdy. Back in 1998 or so Blizzard advertised for an upcoming title, Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans, produced via companionship with a Russian company. Straggling schedules and the end of the click-game era made Blizzard cancel the game before release, a bit like Starcraft: Ghost.

I and my brother recently stumbled across a series of eleven play-through videos featuring the game, whilst having a hobby workshop. The Youtube video series is obviously not complete for whatever reason, but we were still surprised by the quality of the game and really enjoyed viewing it.

The creativity and attention to detail and previous strategy titles is obvious, and in it are some first appearances for things which later appeared in World of Warcraft, such as homing chickens or gnomish architecture. It's very much a Blizzard game, and it's a small shame it isn't available in any form considering the work's results.

It's worth to check out Lord of the Clans for anyone who likes Blizzard's Warcraft (especially pre-WCIII) or just fantasy with orcs, goblins and dwarfs in general.

Do yourself a favour when you've got the time. Load a drink and some snacks, and discover this lost title in a series of best-selling fantasy games.

If you like the look, feel free to comment about it and leave a request for further videos or even torrents for the game from the uploader, who got it from the Russian company.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: There's Fourteen Ways To Skin A Dwarf

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

As I’m all-in on O&G at the moment I should approve of this song!

Rather taken aback though to discover GW made a Black Orc whose standard was a Dwarf on a pole.

:shock:
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:As I’m all-in on O&G at the moment I should approve of this song!

Rather taken aback though to discover GW made a Black Orc whose standard was a Dwarf on a pole.

:shock:
It's cool mini too.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

Great looking game. Brings back memories to when I was young... Good fun. They should finish and release it I think. I had lots of fun playing the HD re-release of Monkey Island.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Karak Norn Clansman

#5 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Aye! Lord of the Clans should be finished and released. It's a time of retro and remasters, so the timing would be good.

Cruelty on miniatures are a must.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Karak Norn Clansman wrote:Cruelty on miniatures are a must.
I’m starting to see my old Elf Lord holding a severed Orc’s head in a new light these days.

:mrgreen:
Karak Norn Clansman

#7 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

SpellArcher wrote:
Karak Norn Clansman wrote:Cruelty on miniatures are a must.
I’m starting to see my old Elf Lord holding a severed Orc’s head in a new light these days.

What a coincidence! My old Dwarf Lord also sport a severed Orc's head. On his axe.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Ha, I've got the one holding an orc head in the "to paint" pile. I've also got a few mounted lords that came with a bundle of orc heads as an "accessory". Works well when I play against orcs. It's always seemed a bit strange when they are showing these trophies off to dwarfs though.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:It's always seemed a bit strange when they are showing these trophies off to dwarfs though.
It's just bragging rights in that case. "Look, I can kill an orc in more interesting ways then you can!" Or they're comparing notes: "This was way 12". Or the basis of an insult: "Even this orc head is prettier then your mother".

That sort of thing. They actually sound very useful, these orc heads. Maybe I should start carrying one around as well.

;)

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:It's just bragging rights in that case.
The old Legolas/Gimli thing. Several of my Orcs have heads on their belts etc.. I’m just not sure what of.
Prince of Spires wrote:They actually sound very useful, these orc heads. Maybe I should start carrying one around as well.
6+ Ward save Rod. 5+ if you’ve plenty of tattoos.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:It's just bragging rights in that case.
The old Legolas/Gimli thing. Several of my Orcs have heads on their belts etc.. I’m just not sure what of.
I think that's bound to happen if you let a severed head hang off your belt for a while. After a while it's hard to tell who it belonged to. I can imagine it ends up being a bit smelly though.
SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:They actually sound very useful, these orc heads. Maybe I should start carrying one around as well.
6+ Ward save Rod. 5+ if you’ve plenty of tattoos.

No tattoos. So they would give me a 1 in 6 chance of just shrugging off being hit by a car or similar. Not sure I like those odds ;)

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#12 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:No tattoos.
They’re an option! Very popular over here at the moment.

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#13 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:No tattoos.
They’re an option! Very popular over here at the moment.

:)
Do temporary paint on tatoos work as well? They could always be an option. And I fear, with two little girls at home they'll be forced on me at some point in the future anyway ;)

Rod

Check out my plog