Time for a new age(of sigmar)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Botjer

Time for a new age(of sigmar)

#1 Post by Botjer »

So AoS is here. I've decided to scrap and rebuild my high elves.

Here is the first unit i've been working on the last couple of weeks.

Spearmen.

Im not a fan of the old plastics, weird proportions.

The really old plastics are nice but too stiff.

Lothern seaguard are nice but stiff and im going to use those for lothern seaguard...

So... I ended up using dark elf spearmen.

The spears do not fit and ill change them eventually, otherwise im quite happy for now.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Time for a new age(of sigmar)

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Your work looks quite good, though I look forward to a cleaner photo.

I agree with your thoughts about the HE spears (unless you go even older). I don't love the DE ones either, but if you are sticking with sort of recent GW stuff they are easily the best choice. I'd recommend checking out lastsword elves though if brand isn't an issue.
Botjer

#3 Post by Botjer »

being able to change the models stance with the spear at the ready was a really important factor to me.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Really nice Botjer! The painting, poses and basing are all great.

=D>
Botjer

#5 Post by Botjer »

Thank you! I have more in the pipeline, among other things a really conversion heavy unit of silverhelms
Avendigo

#6 Post by Avendigo »

I don't know why, but somehow this unit has a strong Gondor/Minas Tirith vibe going on there... Or is it just me?
otherwise great use of the better proportioned DE models. If they would just come with scale armour instead of chainmail...
but sculpting scales gets really tedious for large troop numbers...
Now I'm really eager to see those silverhelms you mentioned.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like them. You managed to get a disciplined look to them while still mixing up the poses. The risk always is that they look unorganized with spears sticking out all over the place. But you pulled it off nicely. I like the shields as well. Did you use decals for them?
Avendigo wrote:I don't know why, but somehow this unit has a strong Gondor/Minas Tirith vibe going on there... Or is it just me?
I think it's the silver and blue combination that brings out the Gondor feeling.

And, indeed, bring on the silver helms. And pictures of the treemen (?) hiding in the back of the spearmen photo are welcome as well of course. :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Botjer

#8 Post by Botjer »

Yes they have alot of common with gondor troops, ofcourse gondor troops have black uniforms, not white ;) You might be thinking of Arnor.
But the helmet shape is similar.

The problem with having used these guys is that everything else is too small now :(

I'm having trouble making archers. Trying to find a nice way to make good looking archers.

And yes I've used transfers, I was lucky as hell and find some old transfersheets.

Now i have another problem, I generally avoid white, and use ulthuan grey, but the transfers are pure white, this makes my ulthuan grey look dull, so i'm probably going to add a thin grey layer to just tune down the bright white of the transfers.

You'll get pictures of the silverhelms soon :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

Botjer wrote:I'm having trouble making archers. Trying to find a nice way to make good looking archers.
How about these Archers regiment (20)?

They are from Lastsword, which Shannar referred to earlier. They're a fairly new company I think and they've posted links to a couple of their kickstarter projects on here earlier this year. I haven't seen them in real life, but they look pretty good. If you want to stick to GW models then I think the wood elf range probably has the best options.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Botjer

#10 Post by Botjer »

No I dont think so, not a fan of the style.

Easiest would be dreadspear body and archer arms, either from high elf archers or from woodelf archers.

Been looking at glade guard as well
Botjer

#11 Post by Botjer »

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#12 Post by Prince of Spires »

That was one epic battle. How many models were on the table? It looks massive...

And soo many great looking models and terrain pieces. The goblin spider riders (who engaged the Bretonian king) were yours? Any more pictures of them? I also love the ruined house (picture 21 I think). Was it build yourself or did you get it somewhere?

Rod

Check out my plog

Botjer

#13 Post by Botjer »

No its a friends blog, I wasn't actually playing, just spectating, and gluing archers.
The spiders belong to the owner of the blog, give him some praise on his blog.
The ruined building was built, but i think it is made with hirst arts plaster molds.

We like battles big :P
Which is why im dreading getting 80 more spearmen XD
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

Botjer wrote: Which is why im dreading getting 80 more spearmen XD
I would be terrified of the prospect of having to paint 80 spearmen... I'm already looking for motivation for painting 15 of them. ;)

The more I see of it the more I think that I should get some of the Hirst Arts molds.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#16 Post by Luna Guardian »

I love your spearelf unit, the dreadspears really are good models to base a more modern high elf spear unit on. Kudos! I still feel that they, just like a lot of elven units, are too heavily armored for light armor (ironically, White Lions on the other hand are far too lightly armored for heavy armor), but that is a minor point when the end result is so good :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians