A New Blog

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: A New Blog

#91 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:I'm trying and failing to picture myself painting at speed Rod.
Slow and steady wins the race :) In my experience, unless you've a very speedy painter, having a steady rhythm where you paint a couple of times a week lets you paint more then trying to paint a few times at speed. Which is also why a dedicated painting space or a quick way to set up your painting is very beneficial to your painting progress. It's a lot easier to find 20 minutes a day to get some painting done then to find a block of 2 hours (for me at least). It's about the same amount of painting time per week. But if you miss a session there's a big difference. And it's a lot easier to plan around stuff.

But for 20 min set up time is a big deal. If it takes 5 minutes to set up then that's already a large part of those 20 minutes gone.

I like the goblins. Nothing too fancy. But the basic painting on them just works. They're goblins after all. They should be basic. :) The painting is clean and the blacklining brings out the details nicely. They should look great on a tabletop.

Stone thrower and 2 bolters works all right I think. Though it will probably take some play testing to find out if 2 is enough. And of course it also matters what you would have to drop from the list to bring a third (or another machine).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#92 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:having a steady rhythm where you paint a couple of times a week lets you paint more then trying to paint a few times at speed.
Yeah, very much so for me. Even if I only get a little done each time, it helps build momentum.
Prince of Spires wrote:I like the goblins.
Thanks Rod.

:)
Prince of Spires wrote:Stone thrower and 2 bolters works all right I think. Though it will probably take some play testing to find out if 2 is enough.
I think you're right. The basic idea is to make big flyers and such think twice. But it's probably like fielding a pair of RBT. An opponent has to factor them in but they won't scare him in the way that four might.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#93 Post by Luna Guardian »

I always loved the quirky wackiness of the goblins, and the paint job on yours definitely works :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#94 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks Luna, currently working on the machine itself.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#95 Post by SpellArcher »

WIP

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#96 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

That's looking nice. You given any thought to basing ideas?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#97 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks Shannar. I’ve got a base but it’s a bit small. The old 60 x 100 Screaming Bell base would be ideal.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#98 Post by Luna Guardian »

If you have leftover bases you could make one, or alternatively cut one from any old cardboard box. Still looks neat though!
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#99 Post by Prince of Spires »

A good start. The counterweight rock looks Orcy enough while still looking like a rock a bunch of goblins could have picked up.

If I have to make a reasonably large base for something I usually go for plywood and cut that up. It's simple enough to work with for chariot sized bases. And you can actually get it for free if you want. Go to a local DIY shop that cuts wood to size. They discard any left over bits. In my experience, if you ask nicely they will let you take some small pieces for free (or cheap). Get a pile and you're set for a couple of years. Alternatively, you could also buy a sheet. They're pretty cheap for a lot of wood. And you don't need much. Unless you're a very avid terrain builder.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#100 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks guys.

I ended up ordering a base from Ebay, we'll see how it turns out.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#101 Post by SpellArcher »

So it's done:

I'm currently basing my Snotlings. These are metal and GW seems to have included not only a mix of old and really old but also crew figures from both pump wagons! One of those is on order incidentally.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#102 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Looks good, and I can't wait to see the snotlings.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#103 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:GW seems to have included not only a mix of old and really old but also crew figures from both pump wagons
Seems like even GW thinks size matters, and that these guys are too small to care about much ;) Looking forward to the pump wagon as well. What configuration are you planning for it?

And the lobber looks great. I think I've said this before, but your painting style suits these very well. It's clean and basic in a positive way. No frills but solid and down to earth. Which is pretty much goblins (if you forget about the drug induced maniacs they have that is...).

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#104 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks guys.
Prince of Spires wrote:I think I've said this before, but your painting style suits these very well. It's clean and basic in a positive way. No frills but solid and down to earth.
I’m hoping this will pay off when the whole army comes together Rod.
Prince of Spires wrote:Looking forward to the pump wagon as well. What configuration are you planning for it?
Giant Explodin’ Spores (first Impact Hits in game ignore armour) is very hard to overlook. Spiky Roller (+1 Strength to all Impact Hits) is pretty juicy too.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I can't wait to see the snotlings.
Here’s a taster Shannar:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#105 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

They've made so many over they years, it's always fun to see what ones come up.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#106 Post by SpellArcher »

I also got the wizard but chose not to use him here.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#107 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:I also got the wizard but chose not to use him here.
They made a snotling wizard? Cool.
SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:Looking forward to the pump wagon as well. What configuration are you planning for it?
Giant Explodin’ Spores (first Impact Hits in game ignore armour) is very hard to overlook. Spiky Roller (+1 Strength to all Impact Hits) is pretty juicy too.
I think a lot of the options are pretty nice on them, although flappas is something you'd probably only bring if you have 5 extra points or a very fast list you need to keep up with. The main issue with the options is that they can get expensive fast. Relatively speaking of course. At 45pts, they're expendable. Fully upgraded at 90pts not so much (at this point it would make more sense to just bring two of them ;) ). I think taking one option on them is a good idea. Both giant exploding spores and spiky Roller add a lot to the pump wagon I think. With either of them it packs a much bigger punch in combat. They difference is whether you want the first hit to really hurt or all hits to hurt a bit more.

It also probably depends on what you expect to run in to most. At S5, a lot of lightly armoured units (like elves) will have little to no armour save left. But if you regularly run into heavily armoured units like knights or monstrous cavalry you need to deal with then spores are the way to go.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#108 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:It also probably depends on what you expect to run in to most. At S5, a lot of lightly armoured units (like elves) will have little to no armour save left. But if you regularly run into heavily armoured units like knights or monstrous cavalry you need to deal with then spores are the way to go.
Good point Rod. Also, the army is full of units that roger armour (Troll Vomit, Artillery, Characters etc.) so S5 might be the better option. The thought of running over Skullcrushers is a happy one though! As it happens I'm actually playing some Warhammer on Sunday! I have the Pump Wagon now but there was no way it was getting painted in time. So the 2000pt list looks like this:

Black Orc Warlord, 4+ Ward Armour, MR 3, Ironcurse Icon
Orc Lvl 4, 4+ Ward, Crown of Command, Power Stone

Black Orc BSB, 2+ Armour, Luckstone
Orc Lvl 2, 6+ Ward, Dispel Scroll

26 Big'Uns, Spears, Shields, Full Command, Razor Standard
20 Gobbos, Shortbows, Full Command
5 Wolf Riders, Shortbows, Musician

2 Snotling Bases
2 Snotling Bases
Spear Chukka
Spear Chukka

8 Stone Trolls
Rock Lobber

Snotlings:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#109 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

ohh, and army shot would be great.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#110 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:ohh, and army shot would be great.
+1

Let us know how the army performed. It should be a fun list, with something meaningful happening in each phase. It has a lot of tools to deal with different things across the table.

The main thing I'm wondering about the list is if it isn't better to change one of the shamans into a goblin. I like the little waaagh better then the big waaagh in most cases I think. At least I think it doesn't pay off to have 6 lvl's of magic invested in it. If you're keen on the big waaagh then I would keep the lvl 4 on it. The signature spell isn't good enough on its own to justify giving it to a lvl 2. So I would move the lvl 2 to the little waaagh. The signature spell has a lot more utility and the only spell you really want to swap out would be Night Shroud (though Curse can be a bit hit or miss I think).

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#111 Post by RE.Lee »

Those little dudes! :lol:

Haven't fought O&G since early 6th edition...
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#112 Post by SpellArcher »

Well the event got cancelled, sad face. I do have another next month though and I was able to pick up the old metal Orcs I needed to complete my unit. Ebay was proving unfruitful.
Prince of Spires wrote:The main thing I'm wondering about the list is if it isn't better to change one of the shamans into a goblin. I like the little waaagh better then the big waaagh in most cases I think. At least I think it doesn't pay off to have 6 lvl's of magic invested in it. If you're keen on the big waaagh then I would keep the lvl 4 on it. The signature spell isn't good enough on its own to justify giving it to a lvl 2. So I would move the lvl 2 to the little waaagh. The signature spell has a lot more utility and the only spell you really want to swap out would be Night Shroud (though Curse can be a bit hit or miss I think).
Tactically you're probably right Rod. My priority at the moment though with the new army is to keep things simple. Only one Lore to think about. Doubling up also improves spell selection for the Lvl 4. Spamming Foot of Gork is unimaginative but it has it's attractions. The Lvl 2 turns a 90% chance of it into almost 100.
RE.Lee wrote:Haven't fought O&G since early 6th edition...
Yeah, they kind of slipped under my radar too RE.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:ohh, and army shot would be great.
Here we are Shannar, sort of...

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#113 Post by Prince of Spires »

The army is shaping up nicely. Those trolls are just lovely. And I always really like squigs. So it's great seeing one in there. Looking forward to see how it performs.

Good point on the lore of course. Knowledge of the list is more important in the end then having more tools in there. And O&G have enough wacky rules to keep in mind already. So sticking with one thing and knowing what it does is probably better then adding in more things to keep in mind.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#114 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:The army is shaping up nicely. Those trolls are just lovely. And I always really like squigs. So it's great seeing one in there. Looking forward to see how it performs.
Thanks Rod. I doubt it'll be finished in time for next month's event but I expect to make some progress.
Prince of Spires wrote:Good point on the lore of course. Knowledge of the list is more important in the end then having more tools in there. And O&G have enough wacky rules to keep in mind already. So sticking with one thing and knowing what it does is probably better then adding in more things to keep in mind.
I also have two orc shaman models and no goblins. Even if I did, those archers are not the best bunker I fear.

The revised orc block including the just-acquired guys:

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#115 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:The revised orc block including the just-acquired guys:
WAAAAAGH! Unruly and menacing, and looking as dangerous to themselves as the look to others. Nice. Looking forward to seeing them painted.
SpellArcher wrote: I doubt it'll be finished in time for next month's event but I expect to make some progress.
Slow and steady wins the race :)

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#116 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Nice
Thanks Rod.
Prince of Spires wrote:Looking forward to seeing them painted.
Me too! I think I'm going to finish the Trolls first though. Just bought some magic cards and some modular movement trays off eBay, so will be busy making some proper grassy trays too.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#117 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Another classic troll. I'm excited about how it's going to look already.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#118 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Another classic troll
Those models just capture something Shannar. Movement trays have arrived, now they need making!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#119 Post by SpellArcher »

So I made a tray for the Wolf Riders:

RE.Lee

#120 Post by RE.Lee »

A perfect fit!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy