The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 7.5. Alarielle the Everqueen]

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 27.5.]

#91 Post by Luna Guardian »

Finally he is done, Deral Lionbane rides again!

First (and last) attempt at NMM, the mount counts as a dragon. Very happy how he turned out, but still might work a bit on the hair
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 27.5.]

#92 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

The NMM on the axe looks great! I think the hair looks just fine too. I will say though, I feel like the straight up scar white on his sword/scabbard looks a little out of place, perhaps too sharp/big of a highlight without another lighter color first. That's just my opinion though :) The wings look fantastic from this angle.
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 15.6.]

#93 Post by Luna Guardian »

The scabbard is actually from the Silver Helms (this one) and the "scar" is the ribbon on it :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#94 Post by SpellArcher »

Just an all-round thumbs-up from me, you've gone all-in on this one!

:)
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#95 Post by Luna Guardian »

Thanks!

I'm planning on painting a unit of Phoenix Guard that I got used (they were undercoated and put together, so I had to tear one apart and raid my bitz box for some white lion pieces), but would like to keep them "regional" as well, since it always bothered me a little that every special unit of high elves is only coming from one kingdom and for any army to be fielded, they need to send troops all over the continent. It would make more sense to me if there were chariots from every kingdom, light cavalry from every kingdom, scouts from every kingdom but that each kingdom is KNOWN for a certain kind of warfare, so they're on average better at it. But without further ado, what do you think:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#96 Post by SpellArcher »

I feel the helmet in particular is a definite improvement Luna.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#97 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like Deral :) what's the figure he's riding? I really like his pose.

I think the big picture highlights some of the imperfections on him, which you wouldn't notice in real life. Like the scabbard. Great model.

Good start on the phoenix guard. Nice use of your bits box. I think a whole unit of them will look epic. Though of course we'll miss the silly huge helmets the official models wear... ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#98 Post by Luna Guardian »

The mount is the manticore from this Raging Heroes kit with the wings from a Frostheart Phoenix and the tail stinger removed. I warmly recommend using their minis, they are very lovely and the people working there are really cool with great customer service :)

The problem with the upcoming PG unit is that I don't have enough bits to make them and paying 66€ for 10 guys is too rich for my blood. Might need to put them on a backburner for now until I can score some more PG and WL bits

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#99 Post by SpellArcher »

Luna Guardian wrote:The mount is the manticore from this Raging Heroes kit with the wings from a Frostheart Phoenix and the tail stinger removed
The face in particular is splendid.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 20.6.]

#100 Post by Luna Guardian »

SpellArcher wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:The mount is the manticore from this Raging Heroes kit with the wings from a Frostheart Phoenix and the tail stinger removed
The face in particular is splendid.
Thank you, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out :)

Since I made a mounted version, I had to also make one on foot. Deral Lionbane, slogging on!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#101 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice. He looks suitably bad-ass. :) Can't really go wrong with a big axe.

The only thing for me is that the statue he's standing on could use another set of highlights. It's a bit dark and flat, which makes it look unfinished to me.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#102 Post by Luna Guardian »

Good eye and idea, will implement :)

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#103 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Can't really go wrong with a big axe.
+1, love the axe!

:)
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#104 Post by Luna Guardian »

I wanna fly like an eagle! Had two of these lying around and felt like painting something a little different for a change. I intentionally left the vines and leaves on the back unpainted and I am quite happy how they don't really show.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 26.6.]

#105 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Usually I don't like to leave things unpainted. But good choice I think. Even for wood elves I don't like those vines.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#106 Post by SpellArcher »

Luna Guardian wrote:I wanna fly like an eagle!
ABBA?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#107 Post by Prince of Spires »

But without the vines how is anyone supposed to know they crashed through a bunch of trees to get here?

Or something like that.

Looking good. I liked painting my eagles. They're pretty fast to paint (meaning fast results) and they're indeed quite different from elves.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#108 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:But without the vines how is anyone supposed to know they crashed through a bunch of trees to get here?

Or something like that.

Looking good. I liked painting my eagles. They're pretty fast to paint (meaning fast results) and they're indeed quite different from elves.

Rod
I think I still have one or two actual eagles somewhere that I might paint after stripping the god awful and thick paint from fourteen years ago (Jesus!), just to have a bit more of a break before tackling more elves. I've run into the unfortunate bottleneck that I am out of the necessary bitz to continue my project and all the online bit stores are out of everything :/
SpellArcher wrote:ABBA?
Nope, Seal

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#109 Post by SpellArcher »

Luna Guardian wrote:Nope, Seal
The man can certainly sing. I really liked Crazy and Killer also, come to that.

The ABBA song was great too.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#110 Post by Luna Guardian »

Griffon riders project is underway! Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#111 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

You got those to rank up pretty well. I'm impressed.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 30.6.]

#112 Post by SpellArcher »

I really like the way the first one is gripping.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#113 Post by Luna Guardian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:You got those to rank up pretty well. I'm impressed.
Thanks! I am pretty happy myself, although changes have already been made. I think I prefer it this way, more variance in the pose and the rider looks less "rodeo-ey"

SpellArcher wrote:I really like the way the first one is gripping.
That sounds...a little dirty :P

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 30.6.]

#114 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote:Griffon riders project is underway! Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
First thought, he seems to be missing a head ;)

They look awesome. At least the ones I see. The second picture seems missing...

I like how you've given them different poses . It adds a nice variety and they look pretty natural (as far as possible with griffons of course ;) ) I'm looking forward to how the unit will turn out.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 28.1.]

#115 Post by Luna Guardian »

Been a while, but I got some big updates! First off, the Phoenix Guard project has yielded some results:

I got my PG and plastic WL second hand, so I could only make the 8 for now. I have a large amount of new WL coming in this week, but since I am out of PG bitz, they'll have to remain at this size for now.

Then, my Lion Rider project has gotten off to a great point where I am fairly happy with the rider design and I have all the 12 lions I need (10 for the unit and 2 for characters):

They rank up TERRIBLY, but I like the idea and the look of the unit, so I'll bear the constant shuffling!

Finally, my key new unit. Counting as Drakon Riders for Kings of War, I present to you, the Griffin Knights of Tor Charta!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#116 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Seems everyone is returning. Welcome back.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#117 Post by Luna Guardian »

Thanks Shannar. Could turn out to be a fairly brief return, need to finish my Master's thesis and got a new job. Oh, and a wedding to plan. But I still try, can't ever stay away for too long!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#118 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Been though all of those, pretty much at the same time, myself. They take a fair bit focus and attention. And then kids come. I'd already been pulled away from here for a few years prior to all that though. The Taliban has always had more power than one would have expected I guess.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#119 Post by Prince of Spires »

Great to see an update here :)

Congrats on the wedding. And all the other stuff. And indeed, enjoy all the free time you have currently. It's loads. Just get some kids and you'll find out ;)

Though I was smart enough to do one after the other instead of all of that at the same time. ;)

The griffon riders are great. Perhaps I should check out Kings of War, just so I can get a unit of griffons on the field. I'm amazed that you actually manage to get them lined up.

The Phoenix Guard / White Lion combination works remarkedly well together. They look natural and took a second look to see the different bits on there. So well done. If you need more bits you can always check out bits stores. Hoard 'O Bits has a whole bunch of PG bits available. There's probably more stores on ebay and the likes as well.

As for the Lion riders, well. They're elves riding freaking bad-ass lions. What's not to like. And you managed to get 12 of them. No easy feat I think. So, bring on the pictures!

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#120 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:Great to see an update here :)

Congrats on the wedding. And all the other stuff. And indeed, enjoy all the free time you have currently. It's loads. Just get some kids and you'll find out ;)
Thanks! As for the kids, that's still at least a little off. And it's why I picked a wife, they'll gladly handle all of the kids' needs, right? Right?
Prince of Spires wrote:Though I was smart enough to do one after the other instead of all of that at the same time. ;)
In hindsight, I should have gone back to school to get my Master's a few years ago. But oh well, better late than never!
Prince of Spires wrote:The griffon riders are great. Perhaps I should check out Kings of War, just so I can get a unit of griffons on the field. I'm amazed that you actually manage to get them lined up.
I really do warmly recommend KoW, it's more fun than I've had with Warhammer, maybe ever, and the rules are free on Mantic's website. Only downside is that the characters don't feel quite so special, but even that is ultimately a good thing IMHO. No unkillable lords that just curbstomp entire armies.

Raning the griffons wasn't easy, especially the middle one. The damn thing still spins around every time I move the unit, but at least I have a full regiment. Might make one more, in case I ever want to field a Horde, but I've other projects to do first :)
Prince of Spires wrote:The Phoenix Guard / White Lion combination works remarkedly well together. They look natural and took a second look to see the different bits on there. So well done. If you need more bits you can always check out bits stores. Hoard 'O Bits has a whole bunch of PG bits available. There's probably more stores on ebay and the likes as well.
HoB is US based, right? Shipping and customs to Finland would be a bitch :(
Prince of Spires wrote:As for the Lion riders, well. They're elves riding freaking bad-ass lions. What's not to like. And you managed to get 12 of them. No easy feat I think. So, bring on the pictures!
Thanks :) . I got rather lucky, someone was getting rid of their High Elves and I got two chariots for super cheap. Pulled them apart, used some of the other bitz for conversions (I have another 20 or so spearmen being painted), will use the broken chariots for objective markers (not necessarily as chariots though, yet another Cunning Plan (tm) ) and got the last 4 lions needed for my projects. Well, maybe still need one more. Mounted Elven King, mounted mage, mounted battle standard bearer...