RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - End Times Reloaded!

#1321 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:What should that percentage be? What should it be for a draw?
50? 25? Very hard to say really.
RE.Lee wrote:this guy
If someone transplanted half my hair onto my face I think I’d be unhappy!

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1322 Post by Prince of Spires »

One of those warrior test models looks suspiciously like a Phoenix Guard model. Though of course that could just be the picture... I like them though. Nothing over the top, matching a northern warrior pretty well and still interesting.

A good percentage is hard to guess. You'll probably need to play about a 100 test games or so to find good percentages that keep the battle fair ;) Is it a 6 turn game or are there other victory conditions / ways the game can end? I think something like 30 / 60 as draw / win percentages could work. Killing of 25% of an army, especially with unlimited reinforcements (and thus no need to be careful with anything) shouldn't be too hard. That could be a single character in some cases. Or only the core units.

Another option could be to go for a "defend certain location" type of game instead of trying to kill as much as possible. I think that would change the dynamic of the battle quite a bit.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#1323 Post by RE.Lee »

Yeah, those cut-off points are tricky and play-testing will happen when it will happen :lol:

25-30% for a draw seems low, even without reinforcements. Killing less than a third of the enemy army while sacrificing my entire force seems more than doable. I think 50% would be more of a challenge, though that also might be a low number. Last time I've played this I steamrolled most of the Dwarfs with Chaos with ease, catching the last few units was a problem. I did profile my army then, however.

I might go with 50/75% #-o

Defending objectives is also something I'd like to do. Balancing asymmetric scenarios is tricky :?
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
RE.Lee

#1324 Post by RE.Lee »

Game in!

It was TK vs VC after all.

Scenario: each side choses 3 non-flying units that are worth 1VP to the enemy at the end of the game (dead or fled).
There was also the sand storm at the beginning but after 2 turns we figured it was to much of a distraction and left it out.

TK list:

Tomb Prince, Armour of Destiny, great weapon
Ramhotep
Level 4 Nehekhara, Power Scroll, Talisman of Endurance
Level 4 Light, Power Stone
Level 1 Light, Dispel Scroll

23 Archers, command
22 Archers, command
5 Horse Archers
5 Horse Archers
3 Chariots

28 Tomb Guards, command, halberds, BoEFlame
3 Necroknights

Casket
Hierotitan

VC list:
Mounted Vampire Blender Lord, Ogre Blade, ASF, Red Fury, 4+ ward, Echanted Shield...
Necromancer Lord with stuff (?)
Vampire, Staff of Damnation (?) +1A for models within 6"
Necromancer, dispel scroll
BSB Wight

2x37 Zombies
24 Ghouls
6 Crypt Horrors
24 Grave Guards, great weapons, Banner of the Burrows
10 Black Knights

Deployment:

Spells:
Hierophant: Desert Wind, Cursed Blades, Smiting, Dessication
Level 4 Light: Shems, Speed of Light, Banishment, Timewarp
Level 1 Light: Shems

Necrolord: Nehek, Gaze, Curse of Years, Hellish Vigour
Vamp Lord: Nehek
Vamp: Miasma, Withering
Necro: Nehek, Rise Dead
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1325 Post by Prince of Spires »

Should be an interesting battle. You centre will be hard-pressed. But if you can get your flanks to wrap round before your centre crumbles then you should do fine I think. Magic should be interesting, on both sides. Bu there's enough interesting targets for both Banishment and Shems.

And sometimes sand storms just blow over...

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#1326 Post by RE.Lee »

Yeah, I figured I had a really nice mix of strong offensive spells and buffs. Its all up to the dice though!

Turn 1.

The Black Knights, Grave Guards and Crypt Horrors move up quickly, with the Ghouls taking their time (out of general's 12" range). Magic is big 12vs6, and I fail both of my dispel attempts (! - 4 dice against Gaze and 2 dice against on Nehek) but luckily my opponent has no serious threats at this time and even Gaze of Nagash only kills a single Horse Archer, so its not that bad.

I try to shield my right flank with Horse Archers, while the Tomb Guards wheel inwards. Magic is strange, as I first fail to cast Banishment on 3 dice, with the Hierotitan in support (thats 3D6 + D3 + 4!), but then go all-in for Light of Death, manage to IF it and roll a 15, killing a rank of Black Knights. So its not that bad. Shooting kills a couple of Grave Guards, but I'm sure they'll be back soon.

Turn 2.

Grave Guards charge one Horse Archer unit, while the Black Knights deal with the other. On a slightly less one sided note - the Ghouls charge my Tomb Guards. Magic is largely stopped, crucially I use my Scroll to stop the Black Knights from getting back up. Ghouls unfortunately kill Ramhotep, but he still manages to inspire my unit to wipe out the opposition in return. I overrun towards the Crypt Horrors.

I charge the Crypt Horrors with the TGs, while the Necroknights follow behind. The Chariots move to block the Grave Guards. My opponent uses his Scroll to block my magics. Shooting does nothing. Tomb Guards kill 3 Horrors and suffer some casualties in return. Their efficiency is nowhere near to what it was a turn ago, but I still win the combat and more Crypt Horrors die.

The archers seem done for, but those Black Knights are one lucky Banishment from dying and I'm getting close to the crucial Zombie units. 70-ish might seem like a lot, but they do crumble quickly...
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1327 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Scenario: each side choses 3 non-flying units that are worth 1VP to the enemy at the end of the game (dead or fled).
This might help you because you’re better at range.
RE.Lee wrote:Necroknights
Pretty decent with the AS re-rolls from Ramhotep.
RE.Lee wrote:Mounted Vampire Blender Lord, Ogre Blade, ASF, Red Fury, 4+ ward, Echanted Shield...
Necromancer Lord with stuff (?)
Vampire, Staff of Damnation (?) +1A for models within 6"
Necromancer, dispel scroll
BSB Wight
That’s a competitive magic phase.
Prince of Spires wrote:But if you can get your flanks to wrap round before your centre crumbles then you should do fine I think.
If that’s the Ghouls opposite RE’s Tomb Guard he’ll need to get the latter into them ASAP, before the Knights and Grave Guard get stuck in. VC’s tend to move faster but at least there are TK redirectors.

Edit: Ninja’d but I’ll get back to you!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1328 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Gaze and 2 dice against on Nehek
I really think he should have auto-generated Vanhels.
RE.Lee wrote:I try to shield my right flank with Horse Archers
I’d have been tempted just to move everything back out of charge range and redirect next turn. You do have to worry about Overruns then though.
RE.Lee wrote:killing a rank of Black Knights.
Nice!
RE.Lee wrote:Ghouls charge my Tomb Guards
Why?
RE.Lee

#1329 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:Necroknights
Pretty decent with the AS re-rolls from Ramhotep.
Unfortunately the re-rolls went to the Hierotitan. This didn't really matter, as Ramhotep bit the dust :wink:

Ghouls charging the Tomb Guards. Good question actually #-o He might have been afraid of the TG charging the Crypt Horrors and getting closer to his soft underbelly. At the same time he wasn't expecting the TGs to chew through the Ghouls in a single round of combat. Had I charged I would have been able to keep Rammie safe, so there's also that. It was mighty unlucky to loose him, admittedly a T4/W2 hero, to 3 poisoned S3 attacks.

Turn 3.

Grave Guards charge the chariots. Black Knights ride towards my Hierophant bunker. Magic brings back a rank of Knights (damn that VC summoning!), but at least the Crypt Horrors remain dead. Grave Guards obviously wipe out the chariots and reform to face my Archers. The Tomb Guards finish off the Crypt Horrors with their flaming halberds.

I charge the Zombies my Tomb Guards, with Necroknights following behind again. I try and block the Black Knights with my Hierotitan. Should have bailed with my wizards at this point but it didn't occur to me. Magic is good, as I IF Banishment on the Black Knights and kill some 10. Some of my wizards suffer wounds, but thats nothing compared to almost getting rid of that cavalry! Tomb Guards grind down several Zombies.

My friend is in despair :lol:

Turn 4.

The Grave Guards charge the Archers with the Light Wizards in them. The Vampire Lord and his sidekick decide to help the Zombies. Magic does nothing of note. I slaughter some more Zombies, but also lose my Archers. The Grave Guards overrun into the other Archer unit, due to my clumsy positioning and my opponents clever manoeuvres.

I charge the other Zombie unit with my Necroknights. In the magic phase my opponent blocks Light of Death on the Vamp/BK Champion (that could have been crucial), as well as the Hierotitans bound spells. I do manage to push through Cursed Blades on the TGs (bringing back some) and then a big Smiting on all my units (bringing back some more!). This would be the Hierophants swan song, however. With this renewed vigour my Necroknights and Tomb Guards crush several Zombies - can I make it in time? The Grave Guards kill all the Archers, but my Hierophant survives with 1 wound left (after crumble).

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1330 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Ghouls charging the Tomb Guards. Good question actually He might have been afraid of the TG charging the Crypt Horrors and getting closer to his soft underbelly. At the same time he wasn't expecting the TGs to chew through the Ghouls in a single round of combat. Had I charged I would have been able to keep Rammie safe, so there's also that. It was mighty unlucky to loose him, admittedly a T4/W2 hero, to 3 poisoned S3 attacks.
VC’s have great redirectors, he could have done with some here. The TG’s actually shouldn’t have been able to Overrun, as they didn’t charge (pg 58).
RE.Lee wrote:Should have bailed with my wizards at this point
This is an art.
RE.Lee wrote:can I make it in time?
Interesting combat. Presumably the riders charge your rear and both sides rack up kills. Then the Hierotitan returns the favour? Might depend how many Zombies are left at which point.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1331 Post by Prince of Spires »

Interesting battle. Main thing I notice is that it's mainly about 1 on 1 combats and less about combinations of units putting pressure on the opponent. Perhaps even more so for the VC then for the TK.

The TK army has 3 parts, shooting, magic and 3 combat units (+ some chaff). They work together ok. Though I'm thinking that perhaps the necroknights could have gotten stuck in a bit sooner to help out the TG.

The VC army on the other hand has 3 combat units and the rest of the army doens't do a lot. It's all just individual parts that have a target and hope they can deal with it. The zombies for instance seem to have no purpose other then to get slaughtered. Somehow it feels like they could have done more then just stand there.

Still, it's going to be close who can break the opponent first. The grave guard and black knights are a force to be reckoned with. But can they get back up the field in time to support the zombies. If not then there is a good chance they'll be picked off individually.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1332 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: The TG’s actually shouldn’t have been able to Overrun, as they didn’t charge (pg 58).
Thats something I often seem to get wrong #-o

I agree that the Necroknights were not doing much. I was hoping on blocking the Ghouls with them (that 3+ save might actually be worth something), while the TGs deal with the Crypt Horrors (flaming!). The situation developed in a different fashion and the snakes were lagging behind the main combat block, unable to even march, as the general kept charging ahead!

The VC did get kind of disjointed, but they can largely get away with it, having such powerful combat characters. I, on the other hand suffered from the Hierophant being too far away I guess. Again, bailing should have been done - even if it didn't save me it would at least buy me some time. Unfortunately with only M4 and no ability march I need to think about these things a bit earlier.

Turn 5 and beyond.

The Vampire Lord charges the Necroknights in the back and slays 2 of them. I was hoping for a lucky Killing Blow but didn't get it and so I crumble. Would targeting the Zombies have been a better idea? The Tomb Guards do their thing (still augmented by Smiting) and wipe out the other Zombie unit. I reform to face the Vampire. The Hierophant challenges the small Vampire in the Grave Guards unit. The blood sucker manages to fluff all his attacks (!) but I still crumble due to static CR. It was fun though.

I charge the Vampire Lord with TGs and Hierotitan and he issues a challenge. I accept with my champion, who gets chopped up. I still win by 1. The combat continues into the final turn and I manage to deal 1 more wound due to CR, though I lose the Tomb Prince on the way.

Its a 2:1 victory for the Vampire Counts!

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1333 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:The zombies for instance seem to have no purpose other then to get slaughtered. Somehow it feels like they could have done more then just stand there.
Here their job was to survive if possible as part of the scenario I guess Rod.
RE.Lee wrote:The VC did get kind of disjointed, but they can largely get away with it, having such powerful combat characters.
None of your armies seem to have an especially hard counter to the Vamp Lord in particular RE.
RE.Lee wrote:Unfortunately with only M4 and no ability march I need to think about these things a bit earlier.
Classic weakness of Tomb Kings.
RE.Lee wrote:I charge the Vampire Lord with TGs and Hierotitan and he issues a challenge. I accept with my champion, who gets chopped up. I still win by 1. The combat continues into the final turn and I manage to deal 1 more wound due to CR, though I lose the Tomb Prince on the way.
Good try! I guess my initial thoughts about the scenario were wrong because the scoring units weren’t small, easy to hide ones they were big. The VC’s had the speed and power to get into these quicker.
RE.Lee

#1334 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:The zombies for instance seem to have no purpose other then to get slaughtered. Somehow it feels like they could have done more then just stand there.
Here their job was to survive if possible as part of the scenario I guess Rod.
Not making them scoring units and putting them in front of the Grave Guards/Crypt Horrors for example, as the Vampire runs rampant might have been a good idea, too. Still dealing with all those bodies, growing by 2D6+4 almost every turn was an uphill struggle. It took a meat grinder like the Tomb Guards to have a chance there. I was disappointed my opponent didn't charge his general into my back - I would have challenged and then crumbled him with combat resolution! :lol: Other than that or a lucky KB it does seem like I have no way of fighting that Vampire Lord with the Tomb Kings...

I think I'll stick to the same list and just try out different tactics in the rematch.

For now, however, I need to focus on the Chaos vs Dwarfs battle!

I finished putting together both of my Chaos Warrior units, one of which features some halberds. I used Crusher/Knight lances for this, as well as some more tricky kit bashing. Here's a photo of my favourite ones alongside a finished Warrior.

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1335 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I would have challenged and then crumbled him with combat resolution!
Presumably he scores maximum Overkill bonus but you kill enough Zombies to negate this RE?
RE.Lee wrote:Other than that or a lucky KB it does seem like I have no way of fighting that Vampire Lord with the Tomb Kings...
Spam Light wizards.
RE.Lee wrote:Here's a photo of my favourite ones alongside a finished Warrior.
Great colour scheme on the Juggernauts. Looking forward to seeing the mass effect on your Warriors.
RE.Lee

#1336 Post by RE.Lee »

Oh, I kill plenty of Zombies, especially with Smiting on :lol:

I'm slowly painting up the first unit, I'll do the Gorebeast Chariot next I think, then the other unit.

For my army I started off with the Tzeentch Chaos Lord on foot. Introduced at Heffengen, he didn't get to do much back then but I really wanted to give him another try. I also decided not to take any magic - Dwarfs are great at stopping it anyway, and I was not impressed by any of the Chaos Lores.

Here's the draft:

Chaos Lord, MoT, SoAntiheroes, ToPreservation, Ironcurse Icon, Scaled Skin, Third Eye, shield
BSB, MoN, SoMight, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield

17 Chaos Warriors, MoT, command, SoDiscipline, shields
17 Chaos Warriors, MoN, command, BoSwiftness, halberds, shields
Chariot
5 Marauder Horsemen
2x5 Hounds

6 Chaos Knights, MoN, command, Ensorcelled Weapons
Gorebeast Chariot

Hellcannon
3 Skullcrushers, command, Ensorcelled Weapons

So, dual Warriors closing in on the enemy as some faster threats go round the flanks and the Hellcannon bombards the packed dwarf formations. I'm counting on the chariots to do some impact hits, to ignore those pesky shieldwalls. Not sure I need all that chaff?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1337 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:decided not to take any magic
A bold move.
RE.Lee wrote:So, dual Warriors closing in on the enemy as some faster threats go round the flanks and the Hellcannon bombards the packed dwarf formations.
Against a classic cornering gunline I would not fancy this at all. But your opponent comes to fight RE so maybe you can grind him out.
RE.Lee

#1338 Post by RE.Lee »

We'll be using the scenario generator so there's a good chance the armies will clash somewhere in the middle of the field. I'm still obviously worried about artillery fire but those Tzeentch Warriors with the Ironcurse Icon are really hard to kill!

Also - the gang:

cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1339 Post by Prince of Spires »

Unit is starting to look good. A very striking colorscheme that works great on the warriors. It almost gives them a Space Marine feel. If Space Marines were Northern barbarians intent on destroying civilization that is...

No magic is a viable choice. Against dwarves you need a fairly big investment in magic to get anything that makes an impact cast. Which can quickly become a points sink. And if the lores you can choose from are a bit meh, then it's perhaps not worth the investment and you're better of getting something else.

It should be an interesting battle.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1340 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks! The various white ones are from my cousins collection. They are undergoing... processing at the moment. I'm still playing around with the colour of the fur. Thought I'd stick with the off white but then saw how nice it looks all fiery. I'll go for a mix perhaps, these are not Warriors of Order anyway, right?

I noticed my core points are over 900 and started thinking about dropping some of these to fit in some funkier stuff - enter the Chosen! These guys are a 5p per model upgrade on my basic Tzeentch Warriors but have a WS6 (handy against Dwarf elites) and get that buffed Eye of the Gods roll at the beginning of the game. They could easily turn out to be S5 or A3. Even more usefully they could go up to T5 or +1 ward save for a 4+ parry and against war machines, 5+ against anything else. I'd drop a unit of Hounds an a Knight to get them. Worth it?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1341 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:a Space Marine feel
I agree, channeling the Death Guard possibly.
RE.Lee wrote:Chosen!
Chosen are brutal. They’re not a must-have because Warriors are almost as good and Core. M4 is an issue for those Special points. Well worth a try I think.
RE.Lee

#1342 Post by RE.Lee »

Death Guard was an inspiration, true :wink:

Game done!

Chaos Warriors:

Chaos Lord, MoT, SoAntiheroes, ToPreservation, Ironcurse Icon, Scaled Skin, Third Eye, shield
BSB, MoN, SoMight, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield

17 Chaos Warriors, MoN, command, BoSwiftness, halberds, shields
Chariot
5 Marauder Horsemen
5 Hounds

17 Chosen of Tzeentch, command, Gleaming Pennant, shields
5 Chaos Knights, MoN, command, Ensorcelled Weapons
Gorebeast Chariot

3 Crushers, command, Ensocelled Weapons
Hellcannon

Dwarfs:

Lord on shieldbearers, 4+ ward
BSB with breath weapon
2x Runesmiths
Engineer

40ish Longbeards, command, stubborn, shields
12ish Thunderers, command

21 Hammerers
10 Irondrakes, command
2x Organ Gun
Cannon
2x Gyrocopter

We used our scenario generator - I picked Agressive while my opponent went for Indirect - this meant we would be playing the Breakthrough scenario, so getting non-flying units into the middle and away third of the battlefield would get us VPs

My chosen got +1S (+1 armour save was my other choice, but I went for that extra damage).

My opponent got hatred against a single of my units and picked the Chosen, obviously.

Deployment:

cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1343 Post by Prince of Spires »

Should be an interesting battle. You've got some pretty hard hitting stuff. But those dwarves are hard to shift and tough as nails. And there is a surprising amount of movement in that army. He's got some more options to dictate your movement (in the cannon, organ gun, irondrakes and gyrocopters). That might play a crucial role. But we'll see how it turns out.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1344 Post by RE.Lee »

My tactics were pretty simple and the nature of the scenario made them even more obvious - charge!

Turn 1.

All of my things advance at a steady pace. The Hellcannon misfires, sending shockwaves through the minds of nearby wizards... oh wait! :lol:

Dwarfs reshuffle slightly. A Gyrocopter drops in front of my Skullcrushers. Shooting hurts - a Crusher bites it, as do 6 Nurgle Warriors and all of the Warhounds. The Gorebeast Chariot loses 3 wounds from a cannon shot.

You can notice my Warriors/Chosen position changes a bit, as I mixed-up which unit had the BoSwiftness in my turn.

Turn 2.

Crushers charge on of the Organ Guns (I could squeeze round the Gyrocopter thanks to losing one model). The Knights go for the Gyrocopter, but the machine flees and I jog 3 inches towards the Irondrakes. The Warriors and supporting chariots move up.

The Hellcannon lands a perfect shot on the Hammerers, killing 12.
Crushers wipe out the Organ Gun crew and overrun 2 inches :lol:

A Gyrocopter and one of the Runesmiths move to block my left flank. The other Gyrocopter rallies behind the Irondrakes. Shooting hurts a bit less - I lose 7 Chosen though, as well as a single Knight.

Not looking all that bad at this point. The Hammerers were dealt a crucial blow, but the Longbeard horde still looms.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1345 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Deployment
Looks pretty standard RE. Dwarf flanks are a little loose but there aren’t masses of fast chaos units to target them.
Prince of Spires wrote:He's got some more options to dictate your movement
I agree Rod, especially the Organs and Gyros.
RE.Lee wrote:The Hellcannon misfires, sending shockwaves through the minds of nearby wizards... oh wait! :lol:
Cheeky!
RE.Lee wrote:I could squeeze round the Gyrocopter thanks to losing one model
Classic mistake.
RE.Lee wrote:Hellcannon lands a perfect shot on the Hammerers, killing 12.
Nice. It’s hard to remain Stubborn when the unit has zero models.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1346 Post by Prince of Spires »

The Dwarves are indeed not packed as tight as they could be. But they're not running a gunline, su no need to castle. This gives them slightly more options to move around and there aren't really any chaos units that can take advantage of the deployment. It can start hurting if he needs to support his flanks somehow. It's a very long trek for a dwarf.
RE.Lee wrote:My tactics were pretty simple and the nature of the scenario made them even more obvious - charge!
Not really a lot of options, given that list. Also very much in line with the nature of chaos ;)

You're in a pretty good spot I think. Removing 12 Hammerers means you have one less worry on your flank to deal with. You should be able to take them out or at least keep them busy long enough. And either of those keeps them from charging your flank.

Of course, actually scoring points will become an issue for the dwarves, given the scenario.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1347 Post by RE.Lee »

I think sticking those Hammerers closer to the main horde might have been a better idea - right now they were pretty isolated. Then again, who knew the Hellcannon could hit anything :roll:

Turn 3.
Both chariots smash into the poor Hammerers. The Nurgle Warriors hit the intercepting Runesmith, while the Chosen assault the Longbeards. The Knights charge the Irondrakes, losing 2 to stand-and-shoot, the Marauders hit the same unit in the back. Crushers reform inwards.

Hellcannon aims at the Thunderers, but scatters 10" right into the main combat! I only lose a single Chosen (3 were hit), while the Longbeards lose around 10. That was lucky!

Hammerers die to 12 [sic!] impact hits, while the Nurgle Warriors bully the Smith. Knights win against the Drakes, but the Dwarfs hold. The Chosen butcher several Longbeards and only lose a single model in return (despite hatred). The Dwarfs hold on stubborn.

Gyrocopters move to block my flanking units. Thunderers face the chariots.
Shooting kills a rank of Nurgle Warriors.
The main grind continues and I decide to challenge the Dwarf Lord with my Tzeentchian. I deal two wounds but also suffer one back (how is that even possible?). The grunts exchange some blows, I come out on top, but the Dwarfs still hold. Drakes keep fighting, too.

Turn 4.

Crushers charge the cannon. Chariot charges the Gyrocopter. Hellcannon moves to help out the Knights.
Crushers and Chariots kill their respective targets and overrun into the Thunderers and Gyrocopter.
Other fights continue with me winning, but unable to break the Dwarfs.

The BSB (having left his unit to breath fire on my Chosen) assaults my generals bodyguards in the back.
Shooting kills all Nurgle Warriors, with the BSB on his last wound. The Organ Gun still rocking it.
Chariot kills 5 Thunderers, who hold. Crushers kill the Gyrocopter and overrun behind my Chosen.
I keep grinding down the Longbeards. They're down to the command group + characters.

Turn 5.
Crushers charge the BSB in the flank. Hellcannon charges the Irondrakes. Gorebeast Chariot joins his friend.
Everything dies pretty much. The Dwarf Lord is down to one wound as he breaks from combat and is run down.

The last surviving Dwarf unit - the Organ Gun shoots a salvo of 14 shots at my BSB, dealing 5 wounds. I manage to pass all my armour saves (5+ re-rollable) and keep the banner flying. A fitting summary of the battle.

An 11:0 win. Rematch (with Chaos being represented by Beastmen) is today! :wink:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1348 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Then again, who knew the Hellcannon could hit anything
Final round at the ETC one year saw one Team England player’s Hellcannon kill his own BSB!
RE.Lee wrote:Both chariots smash into the poor Hammerers.
Harsh but fair.
RE.Lee wrote:The BSB (having left his unit to breath fire on my Chosen)
A Dwarf breathing fire on the minions of Tzeentch is simply trolling.
RE.Lee wrote:Dwarf Lord is down to one wound as he breaks
For shame!
RE.Lee wrote:The last surviving Dwarf unit - the Organ Gun shoots a salvo of 14 shots at my BSB, dealing 5 wounds. I manage to pass all my armour saves (5+ re-rollable) and keep the banner flying. A fitting summary of the battle.
It was obviously his day.
RE.Lee wrote:An 11:0 win. Rematch (with Chaos being represented by Beastmen) is today!
Hurrah! Maybe the Dwarfs should have deployed back and saved the Gyros for points-grabbing as they just couldn’t mix it with these Warriors. The Hellcannon making an effort obviously helped!

=D>
RE.Lee

#1349 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: A Dwarf breathing fire on the minions of Tzeentch is simply trolling.
True! Didn't even see the irony at the time! :lol:

Flying unit are not allowed to score points here.

The Hellcannon was the difference here, though I'd still grind down the Hammerers with the Nurgle Warriors and Chariots, I think. The Chosen are just brutal.

Battle 2!

We would be playing the Hill&Fort scenario - being the only side with a unit on the Hill at the end of the game - 2vp, occupying the Fort - 1vp.

Beastmen:

Beastlord, MoK, SoAntiheroes, ToPreservation, Enchanted Shield, OTS
Great Bray-Shaman, Level 4 Beasts, MoK, Jagged Dagger, Ironcurse Icon, AHW
BSB, MoK, Gnarled Hide, Beast Banner, HA, shield

26 Gors, MoK, AHW, command
24 Gors, MoK, AHW, command
Tuskgor Chariot
2x5 Hounds (one unit had poison)
9 Ungors

30 Bestigors, MoK, command, BoSwiftness
3x Razorgor

Shaggoth, AHW
Ghorgon

Dwarfs:

2x Smith, Spellbreaking
BSB (T6, 3W)
Engineer

35ish Longbeards, command
10 Thunderers, command
20 Slayers, incl. 2 Giant Slayers, command
24 Hammerers, command
10 Irondrakes, command
2x Organ Gun
Cannon
2x Gyrocopter

Deployment:

My monster were hiding behind some obstacles to survive the initial shooting, but were also facing Slayers - not fun at all. I had plenty of infantry facing the hill, while the Bestigors seemed ideal for assaulting the Fort. So were Hammerers, though, deployed just opposite...

I got Wildform, Curse, Savage Beast and Amber Spear on my wizards
Dwarfs got hatred against both my units of Gors as well as the Bestigors. Unlucky.

Thoughts?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1350 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Flying unit are not allowed to score points here.
Quite so, forgot that RE.
RE.Lee wrote:The Chosen are just brutal.
The start of something good?
RE.Lee wrote:Level 4 Beasts, MoK
I still find this funny! No room for the Chalice of Dark Rain?
RE.Lee wrote:My monster were hiding behind some obstacles to survive the initial shooting, but were also facing Slayers - not fun at all.
Can your bad boys step up to the plate?
RE.Lee wrote:Bestigors seemed ideal for assaulting the Fort. So were Hammerers, though, deployed just opposite...
It’s on!

:)