Henryk Sienkiewicz's The Deluge ("Potop")

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Facade19

Henryk Sienkiewicz's The Deluge ("Potop")

#1 Post by Facade19 »

So, after years of searching and patiently waiting, I was finally able to find a brand new copy of W.S. Kuniczak's masterful English translation of Poland's greatest modern historical epic writer. For those of you unfamiliar with these writer, he won the Nobel Prize for his epic Trilogy.

Just very happy about this, and this has led me to wonder what other historical epics I should read? This is to say, if there is one or two work of literature that is from your country's rich history, please share it with me. I would love a chance to expand my world view.

Thank you very much@
EricJ

Re: Henryk Sienkiewicz's The Deluge ("Potop")

#2 Post by EricJ »

Ah yes, when the Polish/Lithuanian Commonwealth got thrashed by Sweden/Russia/Brandenburg. Reminds me of this one. Glorious Sweden, relevant Sweden...

I've been thinking of getting around to reading that book. I think I'll push it a little bit further in my "to read" queue.
[i]"I am a big believer in technology and I’m a big believer in openness when it comes to the flow of information. I think that the more freely information flows, the stronger the society becomes, because then citizens of countries around the world can hold their own governments accountable."[/i]
- [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWvBQyRTJD8]Barack Obama[/url]
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

Ah yes, our grand epic 8) A great summer read, glad you like it! The movie adaptation is nice as well, check it out!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

If you like national epics, you could try the Kalevala, which is the national epic of Finland. Though it is a poem and already from 1840 or so. So it could be a bit hard to get through. But it is available in english translation.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:But it is available in english translation.
The Story of Kullervo by Tolkien looks interesting.

I'm also a big fan of Sibelius and a lot of his music was based on the Kalevala.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

I never knew Tolkien turned a part of it into a short story. I already knew it was a big inspiration source for a lot of Tolkiens mythology and symbolism. But not that he had actually published some of it.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

I think it only saw print relatively recently, due to yet more work by Christopher Tolkien. Like his translation of Beowulf.