Loriels Chronicler. Return of the High Elves 101th

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Loriels Chronicler. Latest vs. Emopire 23.2.2016

#61 Post by Prince of Spires »

Congrats on the win :)

It reads like you managed to exploit some mistakes by your opponent and to let the units in your army support each other to create some nice synergy in the list.

Thanks for taking the time to create the battle report. It takes a lot of time to draw up all the diagrams etc.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Loriel

Re: Loriels Chronicler. Latest vs. Emopire 23.2.2016

#62 Post by Loriel »

Thanks for the reply. This game was against my brother who hasn't played warhammer... in almos a year (his last game is from 2015 april :D )
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Loriel

Re: Loriels Chronicler. Latest vs. Dark Elves 27.2.2016

#63 Post by Loriel »

My 96th game. It seems that me and our gaming club has received a renewed warhammer fantasy battle rise. It is not unusual in our group that some games emerge from time to time. One of the usual seasonal game is Magic the Gathering, but for some reason it hasn't rose up in our gaming group last year.

Well this game was against rather new comer Glimpse that has played couple games against our club regular Stumpel and one game against me before. It was my 31 tomb king encounter (no battrep sorry) and it resulted in loss. He used pretty much the same list as in that game except changed from lore of shadow to lore of life and did couple minor tweaks. I also took better notes and decided to make the battle little better than the last one (I really rushed the empire report and to be honest that is not the way to do it :D )

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/HE096/BR.html

Hope you enjoy it.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#64 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice to see you're able to get some games in again :) It always seems to me these things come in waves somehow. Same for me. Last few weeks / months I've gotten a lot of games in where before it was a lot quieter.

Too bad on the loss. It looked a few times like you would pull ahead and get a win. What was the final score? It looks quite close in the report. In general my thoughts are that there are a lot of one on one fights going on. My elves never like drawn out combats since they tend to result in a lot of casualties. But also it keeps units tied up and unable to offer support elsewhere on the battlefield.

The frostheart vs corsairs is a good example here. Since the corsairs remained steadfast, they weren't going anywhere. And they managed to tie up an important support unit for the important parts of the battle. For instance, having the frostheart in the witchelves vs WL combat would have made a difference. Same with the PG vs BG combat. They were fairly evenly matched. Which gave heavy casualties on both units and made the combat depend on some dice swings. Getting a second unit in there would have swung the combat your way easily (WL in the flank for instance).

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Loriel

#65 Post by Loriel »

Thanks for the reply. Final score (when I yielded was 2210 - 857 ) So there was a decent chance to gain score from the wounded reaper and with some extra ordinary luck with shooting from BG. So for me probably he best I could have gotten from the situation assuming I didn't lose reavers or neither of the archer unit would be 500 more points.

Actual did I score 100 point from killing the bsb in close combat? Or do I need to kill the cauldron also to gain the score. :D Dunno. Not that it mattered much.

Frostie vs. Corsairs were probably little overkill. But one of the things I hoped to achieve here would be that frost would bind those corsairs from taking my reavers out. Witch elves would be frenzy overrun to the left side and my Lions + PG would scored black guard as the witch elves unit tries to regroup. By that time frostie would finished corsairs roughly after 4 - 5 rounds of combat and joined the hunt for Witch Elves for grand victory. Too bad my opponent wasn't as frenzy with the witches as I hoped for :D

Loriel

#66 Post by Loriel »

My opponent noticed one mistake, he had 21 corsairs not 31. I started to ponder when I did the rerport that Did I really charge against 31 so I have to grind 26 models before breaking steadfast??? :D Yeah 21 with 4 rounds of combat is more feasible. :D

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#67 Post by Prince of Spires »

haha. Yeah, that makes quite a difference :) 2 extra ranks is a lot to get through.
Loriel wrote:Actual did I score 100 point from killing the bsb in close combat? Or do I need to kill the cauldron also to gain the score. Dunno. Not that it mattered much.
I've been looking a bit and I can't find a clear answer. In general, you don't score any points unless both the rider and the mount are killed, since you have to kill the whole unit to get any victory points. On the other hand, the seized standards rule lets you score victory points from a unit even when the unit still remains on the battle field. It's a bit a grey area in my mind.

I would go for yes, you score 100vp for the killed BSB. For me, the most sensible way to read the rule is that you score points for the BSB if you remove the banner (+ the guy carrying it) from the battlefield and in doing so remove the possible effect he has. Your opponent no longer got the BSB reroll, so it counts a captured standard, even if the actual model hasn't given up any points yet.

Rod

Check out my plog

Loriel

Re: Loriels Chronicler. Latest Mordheim campaign started

#68 Post by Loriel »

Hello from long dormant state. I have actually played couple games of warhammer 8th against my warriors of chaos friend, but I haven't made any battlereports out of them. Funnily enough I have 99 games with High Elves (combinet of 7th and 8th) and we are planning to make a huge battle (something like 20k vs 20k) somewhere in future to celebrate my 100th game with High Elves. I will make a good bat rep out of that battle when It comes out

But for now we started a Mordheim campaign and I couldn't be more excited! I did once again good old comic style report out of it with probably better fitting theme compared to my necromunda reports.

First a link to fitting music from youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIbIIfQAdM0

The program that I use makes rather big pictures and I don't know how to make them adjusted size to this forum. (in many other forums size command works on the url) and couple my regular ones automatically fits the pictures to the browser. Hope you like it!

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/MORD/SP001/Page_1.jpg
http://loriel.kapsi.fi/MORD/SP001/Page_2.jpg
http://loriel.kapsi.fi/MORD/SP001/Page_3.jpg
http://loriel.kapsi.fi/MORD/SP001/Page_4.jpg

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#69 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's a great looking Mordheim table. Great fun when you have that many buildings to run around in. And reads like a fun battle. Let us know how it goes :)

As for 20k vs 20k... :shock:

Pics or it didn't happen... ;) \:D/ That should look amazing. Perhaps not the most tactical of battles. But still it should be good fun. Are you planning any house rules to keep the game manageable or are you going to play 'out of the box' WH?

As for resizing the pictures, there are a few free picture editing programs out there you can use. Irfanview is one I use and which works fine for this purpose.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#70 Post by RE.Lee »

Good to hear you're still gaming Loriel! That Mordheim board is looking great, and the report really evokes the grim stories the city holds ;)

Looking forward to the big game summary, too :)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Loriel

#71 Post by Loriel »

Thanks for the replies! 20 k vs 20k hasn't happened yet and is very highly work in progress :D

From my gaming group we have roughly this kind of armies to able to join

- High elves about 8k
- Vampire Counts 4k (mine) and ... ~ 10k of two other player
- Tomb kings 4k
- Beastmen 2k
- Daemons 3k
- Bretonnia 3k
- Wood elves 2k
- Skaven 2k
- dark elves 3k
- orcs and goblins 6k
- empire 5k
- lizardmen / dwarfs / wood elves (one of my friend had like 2k-3k armies of all of these, but I don't know if he sold them?)
- Warriors of Chaos 3k

so roughly forces of order: 18 (possible 5k more)
roughly forces of destruction 30 k.

naturally we probably don't get them all at the same time, but that is the purpose.

We probably will introduce some houserules perhaps tone magic up bit, but probably for simplification treat both sides as "one player".

----------------

Mordheim table is starting to show some progress. If you like to see wip pictures from it http://loriel.imgur.com/ can find some. bout resizing the pictures that might be the way. how to proceed. But right now I am too excited to go for it and simply publis it once again with the old style.

I played another game of Mordheim just moment ago. (couldn't wait to make the report out of it.) again a theme music to listen while reading :D

https://youtu.be/FBS-oS723qI

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/MORD/SP002/Page_1.jpg
http://loriel.kapsi.fi/MORD/SP002/Page_2.jpg

Loriel

#72 Post by Loriel »

Loriel

#73 Post by Loriel »

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#74 Post by SpellArcher »

Punchy stuff!

:)
RE.Lee

#75 Post by RE.Lee »

Fun times :)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Loriel

#76 Post by Loriel »

Thanks for the replies @RE.Lee and @SpellArcher I hope you (and other find these Mordheim reports to be entertaining to read)

Game 5

Theme Music is about the song my Skoldmaer Lagertha sang to summon the Ulfwerenar to aid them in their cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpiFmZLICgM

Loriel

#77 Post by Loriel »

Game 6

Played a game agains my work collague and it was his first ever miniature game.

Theme music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06H_6oI4EK4

Loriel

#78 Post by Loriel »

Game 7
This time against warhammer, necromunda and warmahordes veteran but first timer in Mordheim Armeli. He wanted to make another orc mob as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEnxcU8jICU

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#79 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice :)

What list do you use for the greenskin army?

Rod

Check out my plog

Loriel

#80 Post by Loriel »

Both Akilae and Armeli used basic Orc mob found in this document https://yaktribe.org/community/vault/mo ... ebook.389/ (we are using that as our rulebook) however I have started to make Winterfell Edition from mordheim. Still work in progress but baselines are allready set.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#81 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice. I did find a Night Goblin mordheim roster, but I hadn't seen an orc one. Looks fun. And it's always nice to switch armies up a bit.

What rules are you changing in your winterfell edition compared to "normal" mordheim?

Rod

Check out my plog

Loriel

#82 Post by Loriel »

Well as said it is huge work in progress but here is my yaktribe thread on the matter and also link to the google drive word document I have started to edit. I have included edited rules highlighted with blue or strikeout so it would be little bit easier to follow the rules. I also made some sections more intuitive to read, for example falling rules when model goes knocked down or stunned near edge out from the "movement section" and into the injury section, what makes a lot more sense. (for example I missed the whole rule and though that Necromunda had it better when fighters could drop down.)

https://yaktribe.org/community/threads/ ... tion.5163/

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17Ikwt ... 9GaBh5se08

Eventhough I have written some stuff allready with blue they are not yet "approved" by my fellow comrades in Winterfel club. I don't think many of the changes are something they would object, but regardless. Like I personally would like to make things little bit more streamlined, for example something like unwieldy with spear and hard to use with morning star (small difference between the rules mainly that other allows buckler and other don't). also I like some basic principles like sequencing, active player, no rerolls of rerolls, generally roll of 1 is fail etc.

So far we have agreed atleast on the following subjects on the group:
- Climbing so that you can combine it with normal move (in otherwords you don't have to START your turn next to a wall or building etc) to climb but rather can combine it with normal move so that total movement don't exceed movement allowance.
- We include fleeing models when calculating Rout test, instead just Out of Actioned.
- Interception rules written little more clearer and make the defender "actually" step up against the charger.
- Multiplayer rules: All enemies combined rating when calculating underdog, all hand-to-hand combats are played in every turn (even when player whose turn is isn't participant, however the player whose turn is decide the order how to resolve hand-to-hand combat) you can shoot in combat provided that there isn't any own models there and randomize the one who is hit. Captured goes to the player who caused the out of action.
- Multiple combat rules (still under debate) but some basic principles how to resolve strange multiple combat situation with nudge moves etc.

--------------

Loriel

#83 Post by Loriel »

Game 8

Theme music is very fitting for the norse shaman as he got the spell Howl of the North. The spells description says : Icy winds sweep before the Shaman knocking missiles from their path, and the tenhis song is about raising a wind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQHGkGMCHcI

Loriel

#84 Post by Loriel »

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#86 Post by Prince of Spires »

Good times. Thank you for sharing them. Some epics moments in there.

About game 9, was that a three way game? I lost track a bit about who was fighting where... And the greenskin army warband looks like there's a lot of models in there.

As for the table, I've said it before, but it looks great. I'd love to have a game on there.

Rod

Check out my plog

Loriel

#87 Post by Loriel »

@prince thanks for the reply. Yes it was three way, and yep. mantsa had 10 goblins there and lot of animosity failures :D

and if you ever happend to come to Finland and near city (or town to be more frankly :D ) Tampere you are more than welcome to come to our gaming club Winterfell for some games!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#88 Post by Prince of Spires »

Loriel wrote: and if you ever happend to come to Finland and near city (or town to be more frankly :D ) Tampere you are more than welcome to come to our gaming club Winterfell for some games!
:) I'll keep it in mind. I've seen a fair bit of finland, but I've not been to Tampere (other then to drive through it...). As for town vs city, definitions change depending on the country. In finland, where there is very little besides lakes, forests and reindeer something very quickly takes on the role of a city...

Check out my plog

Loriel

#89 Post by Loriel »

Loriel

#90 Post by Loriel »