Server transfer

Important game and board announcements and website or forum related topics

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

Server transfer

#1 Post by Ricold »

Sorry about the downtime yesterday, taking a full manual backup has never been the most smooth of exercises.

I'm starting the process of moving our hosting out from under us. We will be trying desperately not to have more than a few days downtime, but.... you all by now know that my plans have never happened as intended.

So downtime will happen, the odd post may be lost.

I also remind the staff not to post while the board is disabled please. I know you can log in as normal, just keep half an eye on the top of the page where it may say in FULL CAPS that the board is offline.
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Server transfer

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks Ric.

Can't see the warning you're referring to, so posting. Though I couldn't get in yesterday so maybe only Loremasters could?
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#3 Post by Ricold »

Bump. Just a reminder that this is still (slowly) happening. If I can get decently organised, downtime will be sometime next week
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#4 Post by Ricold »

Welcome to the shores of Naggaroth. We will be setting up camp here while the island makes it's way over.

Or in real terms: The site looks like it has transferred with success. Please return to your normal posting. Keep your eyes on www.ulthuan.net. When it stops giving the board offline message, then you can go back to using that web address. It'll point to the same site you're reading now.

Someone else might be able to explain that one better.
Daeron
Scotty? Laforge? Kaylee? Engy? Evil Wrench?

#5 Post by Daeron »

By the looks of it, the DNS migration happened. The migration can be finalized tonight.
Oops
Daeron

#6 Post by Daeron »

And done. Please go to http://ulthuan.net

You may have to delete your ulthuan.net cookies to log in.
Oops
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#7 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks a lot guys!

What is it going to change from the point of view of a regular forum member?

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#8 Post by Ferny »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Thanks a lot guys!

Probably nothing, although technically (literally, technically :P) we are in the gentle hands of our dark brothers. However, unlike in the game setting, I think Daeron and his team will get on just fine with the HE crew :)

I think Asraii migrated over to druchii.net not so long ago and to my knowledge there hasn't been any change to functionality or moderation/staffing there?

Many thanks Ric, Daeron and anyone else behind the scenes who have made the transfer so smooth!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#9 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

In that case Malekith is the Big Boss now? :-P

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#10 Post by Ricold »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Thanks a lot guys!

Two: Daeron is now an administrator, and I'm going to give up on it soon.

But otherwise nothing, we've changed backends.

Oh, I suppose if we crash our server it'll take the Druchii down with us.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#11 Post by Ferny »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:In that case Malekith is the Big Boss now? :-P
Well, it is The End Times :P .

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#12 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

End Times ... horrible ...

Another question, if you don't mind. The way it looks from the point of view of an ordinary forum member is that people post on druchii as they used to, those on ulthuan the same so that there is no "one forum to rule them all". But are there any plans to revitalize both in the future? Any joint projects etc.?

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rork

#13 Post by Rork »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:In that case Malekith is the Big Boss now? :-P
Khorne is your lord now, oddly enough :twisted:
Daeron

#14 Post by Daeron »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:End Times ... horrible ...

Another question, if you don't mind. The way it looks from the point of view of an ordinary forum member is that people post on druchii as they used to, those on ulthuan the same so that there is no "one forum to rule them all". But are there any plans to revitalize both in the future? Any joint projects etc.?
This was the initial plan: bringing all forums together under 1 host, with each their own domain. This was the highest priority, since it reduces costs (to a third) and allows a few webmasters to support all 3 of the communities if needed.

Bringing the forums together under 1 joint site is optional. This decision lies with all of you.
It can be done at any point in time of our choosing..

I think the biggest deciding factor should be whether it's beneficial for the community. I'm in favour but.. I also think our individual communities have a unique and strong identity. This has been part of our history, army, fun and flair. I wouldn't want to compromise too much on this identity. In other words: it needs to be done "right", and not be just a merged forum.
Oops
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#15 Post by SpellArcher »

Rork wrote:Khorne is your lord now, oddly enough
I fear so!

Rork

#16 Post by Rork »

My corrupting influence is working!
Daeron

#17 Post by Daeron »

A quick heads-up. In an attempt to cut costs, we'll be making a few modifications to our hosting plan. This should not affect the server in any way... In theory, at least.
Oops
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#18 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Daeron wrote:This was the initial plan: bringing all forums together under 1 host, with each their own domain. This was the highest priority, since it reduces costs (to a third) and allows a few webmasters to support all 3 of the communities if needed.

Bringing the forums together under 1 joint site is optional. This decision lies with all of you.
It can be done at any point in time of our choosing..

I think the biggest deciding factor should be whether it's beneficial for the community. I'm in favour but.. I also think our individual communities have a unique and strong identity. This has been part of our history, army, fun and flair. I wouldn't want to compromise too much on this identity. In other words: it needs to be done "right", and not be just a merged forum.
Hi Daeron,

I didn't ask about the way forums are going to operate from the user point of view. I don't mind either. I wonder if the fact that two (three?) forums are joining on the same server also means that there will be some initiatives to re-vitalize them? I would like to know if there are any plans as to which direction the forums are going to take. Do you, as admins, want it to be the ones that support T9A only? Or is it for more systems? If yes, then which ones and how do you want to do so etc.?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Calisson

#19 Post by Calisson »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:I wonder if the fact that two (three?) forums are joining on the same server also means that there will be some initiatives to re-vitalize them? I would like to know if there are any plans as to which direction the forums are going to take. Do you, as admins, want it to be the ones that support T9A only? Or is it for more systems? If yes, then which ones and how do you want to do so etc.?
As Daeron said, the migration was a first step which allows to consider more.
What matters is the wish of the 3 communities.
Last year, trend seemd to wish to share possibly Painting and Modelling, the rest remaining separated.
At the moment, there is no specific plan to do "more".

-=-=-
Now, what can be done, rather than merely witness our decay into oblivion?

As you mention, T9A is an opportunity.
Let's analyse it.

-=-=-
Our 3 websites have two added values compared to T9A website:

1. We are specialized in 1 faction.
T9A has specialized factions sub-forums, but not with the atmosphere, the developed forums and the rich archives that we have in our 3 forums.
For that reason, I am now much less enthusiastic about the idea of merging the 3 websites into a single elven one. Having tools and certain forums in common, yes. But we have a vital need to preserve our 3 separate identities, else we would lose one added value compared to T9A forum.
A caveat: we are tuned to WH8 fluff, not to the approximatively related T9A fluff. The feeling of the factions remains, but every name changes.

2. We are not specialized in T9A.
In T9A forum, you meet only enthusiastic supporters of T9A. People have matured enough and do not criticize anymore AoS, perceived as an alternative game fitting legitimally the needs of certain players. But you would not expect to discuss AoS tactics or KoW tactics there. Here, we can. So we must keep doing so.

-=-=-
A possibility to consider, when the T9A fluff for our factions will be released (full rulebook soon; then HE said to come before DE), is to get closer to that fluff rather than to keep adhering to the dead WH8 fluff.
This should help attract young members, who more and more will not have been exposed to WH8.
In principle, we should also get some taste of AoS fluff, but there, even the factions as we know do not really exist. And I do not like that fluff...

I can only hope that the added value of being more fluffy than T9A website will help to revive our old websites. Sure, it did not do much for Asrai.org yet, but on the other hand, they did nothing to adapt to T9A fluff.
Once we are adapted to T9A fluff, it will be up to us as T9A users to advertize in T9A website subforums, and tell that there are specialized websites with a dedicated fluffy atmosphere and experienced players to meet.

But besides the fluff, we should remain open to all other games.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#20 Post by Ferny »

Swordmaster - what's the fluff like for KoW? Is that something which could be built on here, assuming more KoWers come over?

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#21 Post by Prince of Spires »

Activity on the forum is a bit up and down. But overal, I think it's more up then down lately. Summertime is always a bit slower then other times, so nothing new there.

With this in mind, I prefer keeping the forums separate. We're not big enough to compete with other generic WH forums. Which means we have to do something else to have a reason to exist. And that means finding a niche and being the biggest in there. Our niche is HE (or HBE), and we're doing that reasonably well. So let's keep doing that.

It will take some time to grow a larger following in T9A players but we're slowly moving in that direction.

I do think we have room for more cross-forum initiatives. We've become virtual roommates, so we're more likely to run into each other. So we can look into organizing activities together.

A more concrete area where we could work together perhaps is in non-WH related games. I think it's an area where non of the forums has a big presence. And perhaps if we combine our user base there, then we'll have enough users to get some interesting discussions on KoW or other similar games.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#22 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks for the replies.

My understanding is that the focus will be on Warhammer in its various forms in general and on T9A in particular, despite the fact it has its own forum.

@ Ferny

Could you be more specific? I am not sure what would you like to know in particular.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#23 Post by Ferny »

Well, I know there's a world called Mantica, and I know that it is populated by races broadly analagous to the old WH world, but I know nothing of their fluff.

By contrast, the old WH was built on fluff. I've even seen people argue that part of the reason balance was always so hit or miss was because it was roleplay and storytelling first and gaming second (I'm not sure I buy that, but I take the point).

The new T9A background I don't know so well (at all), but it is being built and is getting high-level attention. I'm very curious to see how they handle HBE.

KoW has been around a bit longer than T9A but a lot less time than Warhammer, in its various iterations and editions. I was wondering where it stands with fluff - does it have it as well as just stats? Does it put fluff into its ABs and RB? Does it have fluff books? Could the world be used for storytelling and roleplay, as was done in the past on this forum with warhammer world? Do races have solid traits and tropes? Are there exciting dramatis personae which you can follow, love or hate (or love to hate)? I really know next to nothing about Mantica fluff, even though I've played the game a couple of times.

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#24 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Ferny,

Sorry for a long delay in replying. I am not visiting this forum that often these days.

There are 3 books that has been released for 2nd edition of KoW so far:

1. Kings of War v.2 - main resource, 200+ book with background, rules and army lists.
2. Uncharted Empires - 76 pages, additional army lists.
3. Destiny of Kings - 58 pages, campaign book.

Main book has about 40 pages of general background, about world of Mantica, main races and their history. In addition, each army list has a a few pages of dedicated background plus each unit has a few sentences of a description. Uncharted Empires follows what is done for army lists in the main rulebook.

Destiny of Kings provides rules for campaigns in general and several scenarios with additional background story about the forces involved.

There are no novels in the world of Mantica so far. You can have some stories in the IronWatch fan based magazine but I haven't read these.

There is also Dungeon Saga, that is a skirmish type of a game, closer to RPG experience I think but again, I haven't read the rule book. I am sure that they would add some background stories there though.

In general, I learned that it is far better to approach KoW as an autonomous system, not a substitute for Warhammer. It really deserves that. I understand that comparisons are simply too tempting to avoid but you would give yourself a favor if you didn't do that. And if you really must then compare it to the second edition of Warhammer too.

I would not compare KoW to T9A either because T9A is not a game designed from scratch and even if the background is being developed further it is still heavily based in what was developed for Warhammer over a few decades.

The foundations you have for background in the world of Mantica are solid. The forces may look often familiar but they are quite unique, as far as it is possible in the fantasy world settings. Yes, there are some heroes and villeins, some tragic stories that explain the current state of conflict, the reasons why different factions treat each other the way they do etc. It is the world to be explored. In fact, this stage is perfect for you to create something unique for your own.

Generic forces such as Elves, Dwarves or Orcs have their unique twist. Humans are actually more versatile, as they have 4 different army lists and not all of them are good (important for the purpose of allies). But there are also very unique armies, such as Night-Stalkers or Trident Realms (think Fishmen) and people showed fantastic creativity in making models/units for these.

Hope that helps.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth