What to play with WHFB models, instead of WHFB?

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Noble Korhedron

Re: What to play with WHFB models, instead of WHFB?

#31 Post by Noble Korhedron »

Mantriel wrote:Well now that "9ed" is out I will probably stick to this list.
A shame really. :?
Yes, it is. To be frank, I'm not going to bother with AoS. I will always play 6th, 7th or 8th where possible.
Regards,

NK.

http://www.druchii.net/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php
Aerendar Valandil

#32 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

*Avatars of War has a ruleset now translated in English.
*Someone from Warlord is working on a fantasy supplement for Hail Ceasar.
*I believe there is a (perhaps unofficial) fantasy supplement for Lion Rampant as well.
Rajmahal

#33 Post by Rajmahal »

Myself and several other gamers started a small video game company called Wave Light Games. While our main focus is video games, we all come from a wargaming background. We developed our own war-games rules that is based on a combination of warhammer, armies of arcane and our upcoming video game, Demon's Rise.

The rulebook has been written but the point values for all army lists have not been updated. We were doing a lot of play testing before shifting gears to our video game so things were almost finished but not quite ready. With warhammer's untimely demise, I'm going to go back and finish up the rules and put up a section for them on our web site. It'll be a free rules set. Highlights are the following:

- Designed for large scale battles with warhammer miniatures and uses just lots of d6 dice.
- All units can adopt either rank & file formation or skirmish and can switch during the game.
- All units are created using a point cost formula so things are well balanced AND players can create stats and points for any model in their collection.
- Army lists for all warhammer armies are included.
- A lot of customization in army building ... as long as 60% of your army is troops, you can build whatever style of army you like. There are large lists of monsters, characters, vehicles, artillery that all armies can field.

You can download a copy of the current rulebook draft here:

http://1drv.ms/1Tsg9Jn

I'll try to finish it up this week and then post a proper section for these rules on the wavelightgames website.
Mantriel

#34 Post by Mantriel »

Rajmahal wrote:Myself and several other gamers started a small video game company called Wave Light Games. While our main focus is video games, we all come from a wargaming background. We developed our own war-games rules that is based on a combination of warhammer, armies of arcane and our upcoming video game, Demon's Rise.

The rulebook has been written but the point values for all army lists have not been updated. We were doing a lot of play testing before shifting gears to our video game so things were almost finished but not quite ready. With warhammer's untimely demise, I'm going to go back and finish up the rules and put up a section for them on our web site. It'll be a free rules set. Highlights are the following:

- Designed for large scale battles with warhammer miniatures and uses just lots of d6 dice.
- All units can adopt either rank & file formation or skirmish and can switch during the game.
- All units are created using a point cost formula so things are well balanced AND players can create stats and points for any model in their collection.
- Army lists for all warhammer armies are included.
- A lot of customization in army building ... as long as 60% of your army is troops, you can build whatever style of army you like. There are large lists of monsters, characters, vehicles, artillery that all armies can field.

You can download a copy of the current rulebook draft here:

http://1drv.ms/1Tsg9Jn

I'll try to finish it up this week and then post a proper section for these rules on the wavelightgames website.
Wow, this looks really good! :)
The Amber Guard need he Pathfinder rule though. :P

If this is done:
Rajmahal

#35 Post by Rajmahal »

Thanks ... it's going to be free. I'll be happy if people are enjoying the game and getting some use of their warhammer collections again. It's just terrible timing as I'm working full out on getting my video game ready for launch this week, but I'll do my best to have an updated version before the end of next week.
Mantriel

#36 Post by Mantriel »

Rajmahal wrote:Thanks ... it's going to be free. I'll be happy if people are enjoying the game and getting some use of their warhammer collections again. It's just terrible timing as I'm working full out on getting my video game ready for launch this week, but I'll do my best to have an updated version before the end of next week.
I think it would be better to get a polished and playtested (bug free) version out. To be honest although I like your "houserules" a lot, overall it still strongly reminds me of WHFB 7th ed.
So, take your time, first impressions count a lot. I started this thread quite a few months ago. :wink:
Rajmahal

#37 Post by Rajmahal »

I look at any games rules as a continuous work in progress. The current version is reasonably good ... with point values and cleaned up army lists, players should be able to give it a try and provide feedback. Then it will continue to evolve.
Shadeseraph

#38 Post by Shadeseraph »

Aerendar Valandil wrote:*Someone from Warlord is working on a fantasy supplement for Hail Ceasar.
WHEN? WHERE? WHO? I NEED MORE INFO!!!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#39 Post by SpellArcher »

Shadeseraph wrote:WHEN? WHERE? WHO? I NEED MORE INFO!!!
http://www.warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewt ... 3&t=129671

The author used to be one of the very best Warhammer players in the UK (so he understands rules) and has a good reputation on the scene.
adseo2016

#40 Post by adseo2016 »

with point values and cleaned up army lists, players should be able to give it a try and provide feedback. Then it will continue to evolve. gclub
Francis

#41 Post by Francis »

I think the Hail Ceasar fantasy rules are pretty good, although I haven't looked at them for quite a while. That said, I also think 9th age is alright if you are into tournaments, but for me I just feel like the ETC mindset permeates the system too much.

My favourite ruleset at the moment is Kings of War, even if I don't get to play it half as much as I would have liked. KoW is also pretty balanced (although there are some offenders), and Mantic really make you feel like they care about their world and system, a feeling I haven't felt with GW for almost a decade.
Vermis

#42 Post by Vermis »

Aerendar Valandil wrote:*I believe there is a (perhaps unofficial) fantasy supplement for Lion Rampant as well.
The official fantasy accompaniment to Lion Rampant - Dragon Rampant - has been out for a while. :) I've talked about it already - larger skirmish size; generic units that might put off a WFB player but also allow for a lot of 'counts as' imagination, etc. But I think the author's explained it well enough:

http://merseybooks.blogspot.co.uk/searc ... ampant?m=0

For mass battles I'm interested in an obscure game called Mayhem:

https://bombshell-games.com/mayhem/

It's promoted for miniature scales from 10-28mm. These days I'm leaning away from 28mm for anything bigger than skirmish - I'm looking at Mayhem more for my Warmaster minis - but might dabble with larger scales. There are three major elements about the game that interest me:

Unit creation rules. Build your unit profiles from the ground up. Start with the three basic stats - movement, combat ability, missile defence - then add unit traits, weapons and armour that create a kind of rock-paper-scissors situation with other units. It's the kind of inclusivity - use whatever models you want - that I like about Dragon Rampant, but with more tinkering and tailoring. The author's provided ready-made army lists and unit profiles that add more of a unique spin to different races and tropes, but I haven't looked at them yet. Haven't felt the need to.

Command and control. I've loved this concept since I was introduced to it in Warmaster. It's somewhat similar in Mayhem but quite different too. Your army has an overall leadership stat, and that, along with the number of characters and standards in your army, determine the type and number of dice you roll for your command point (CP) pool at the start of each turn. These CPs allow your units to perform actions. A simple action like moving can use one CP, but there are factors which increase the number of CPs you have to spend on an action. Proximity to characters is one, which is a little like Warmaster. No blunder rolls, though. ;) Another is reactivating a single unit in one turn - CP cost rises with each subsequent action. In the book it's called the overdrive mechanic. It means you can (or will) burn through your CP pool quickly, so although the game is IGOUGO, it won't feel quite like that. It makes you think and prioritise your units and actions.

The Versus system. I mentioned 'type' of dice earlier. This is because Mayhem uses a standard set of RPG polydice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20) rather than just d6s. Stats are presented as die types rather than numbers. Any time an action involves a die roll, the unit can take the default (half the die value) or roll in hope of a better result, risking a worse one. Typically this means combat and shooting is a single opposed die roll - no need for buckets o' d20s - but the die can be improved or added to by several factors: position (flank and rear attacks, supporting units, fortifications, etc.), action (charging, readying), and soft and hard counters provided by unit type, traits and weapons. It's the consideration of risk vs. reward, and the layered tactics in reducing those risks, that I really like.

Some battle reports and further thoughts here:

https://bombshell-games.com/2015/06/10/ ... e-reports/
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#43 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'll be getting my copy of Warlord's Warlords of Erehwon on Saturday. I'm hoping it's cool for my High Elves.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]