Adapting to THE END

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Red Geist

Re: Adapting to THE END

#31 Post by Red Geist »

So you think the End Times will get completely retconned after its all over?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#32 Post by Aicanor »

Red Geist wrote:So you think the End Times will get completely retconned after its all over?
No. I think they are here to stay. I also think they are not going to invalidate the army books either. My guess is they will do 'before' as normal games, End Times as apocalypse games and 'after' as a skirmish game of sorts. It alligns well with 'no more warhammer but skirmish game as ninth edition' rumour.
I am also starting to think they were taken by surprise by the demand for the books. They either saw them as optional campaign books or they were listening to 'WHFB is dead' cliché for too long. Or both. :lol: Looks they are going to lose more money as a company in the half year report, which is really something given they have products that sell out in 20 minutes from release...
Makiwara
Chronicler

#33 Post by Makiwara »

Red Geist wrote:So you think the End Times will get completely retconned after its all over?
BOLS has reported that the End Times may not even be finished when 9th ed comes out, so I'd say that's a no.
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
Karalael Moonsinger
Chronicler

#34 Post by Karalael Moonsinger »

@Aicanor, is there room for the Amber Wolf on this 'White Ark of Hoeth'? I'm housetrained and won't Kurnous the place up too much :P

As for the End Times and shaping my fluff to fit with it, push comes to shove House Moonsinger would have to go independent... They have enough friends from the Shadow Host that Male'kith is a no-no.
[quote="rdghuizing"]
Besides, the battle of Finuval Plain was more a minor skirmish anyway. A good enough summary would have been "Teclis and Malekith ran into each other. Teclis cast The Dwellers Below on Malekith with IF, and Malekith failed his Strength test." Not much more to it then that really.[/quote]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#35 Post by Aicanor »

Karalael Moonsinger wrote:@Aicanor, is there room for the Amber Wolf on this 'White Ark of Hoeth'? I'm housetrained and won't Kurnous the place up too much :P
We are actually in need of loremasters capable of performing the rite. There are not too many left... And if they howl at full moon, so what? :wink:
Voodoomaster
High Cartographer

#36 Post by Voodoomaster »

i am currently in the process of writing a fitting end for Khael Varenth, the Lord-General of Khaine.

That dark lord has been a thorn in Morathi's side since the Civil War in Naggaroth.

as for Imrazor, member of the Loremaster council... he has been off map making for the last few decades, he came back to find the Loremaster Council allowed Ulthuan to sink....not best pleased in honesty
[img]http://www.ulthuan.net/archive/images/Lore4.jpg[/img]
[size=117][color=blue]"There are many wonders to the world, one being the world itself" Loremaster Hlaeitryn, High Cartographer to the Phoenix King.[/color]

[color=red]"The Slaaneshi have their Anointed, Khaine has me" Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine [/color][/size]
Karalael Moonsinger
Chronicler

#37 Post by Karalael Moonsinger »

Aicanor wrote:
Karalael Moonsinger wrote:@Aicanor, is there room for the Amber Wolf on this 'White Ark of Hoeth'? I'm housetrained and won't Kurnous the place up too much :P
We are actually in need of loremasters capable of performing the rite. There are not too many left... And if they howl at full moon, so what? :wink:
Good good. Uh, I mean, who howls at the moon? :wink:
[quote="rdghuizing"]
Besides, the battle of Finuval Plain was more a minor skirmish anyway. A good enough summary would have been "Teclis and Malekith ran into each other. Teclis cast The Dwellers Below on Malekith with IF, and Malekith failed his Strength test." Not much more to it then that really.[/quote]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#38 Post by Aicanor »

Voodoomaster wrote:i am currently in the process of writing a fitting end for Khael Varenth, the Lord-General of Khaine.
That dark lord has been a thorn in Morathi's side since the Civil War in Naggaroth.

as for Imrazor, member of the Loremaster council... he has been off map making for the last few decades, he came back to find the Loremaster Council allowed Ulthuan to sink....not best pleased in honesty
Matt Ward did it, we didn't see that coming.
http://www.thetowerofstars.co.uk/#!The- ... 72A8464BD1
We were betrayed.
Matt Ward wrote:I think Khaine was my favourite to write because it brings together so much from the histories of the three elven races – not least, a fantastic, sprawling cast of characters, hip-deep in their own agendas. There's a challenge to that, and also a sense of satisfaction when all the pieces come together, as they did here. The scale also plays a part as well, I think. To date, the End Times have concerned themselves with the fate of realms, but Khaine determines the fate of a continent!
@ Karalael, you are welcome. Nice End Times read by the way.
Karalael Moonsinger
Chronicler

#39 Post by Karalael Moonsinger »

@Aicanor, having just been looking back through your Rainbow Warriors thread, I can't help but thinking that your Eatainii poster would be a perfect poster for the End Times :P and thanks, it'll be fun to write about Karalael in the present.

And you know, I'm not at all surprised that Matt Ward wrote EoT:Khaine. Not one little bit.
[quote="rdghuizing"]
Francis

#40 Post by Francis »

I understand so little of this thread... At any rate, Tor Elasor needs more colonists, there is still several positions open on the Grand Council.
Mr. Lucifer

#41 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

I am quite lucky... The ET revelation came just after i initially started planning my new army, the original keywords being 'elves of avelorn' - now i suppose they are just alarielles enclave in Athel Loren and with the host llist i can add in a treeman or two, which is thematic for both my avelorn theme as well as the new Athel Loren theme...

No matter where my elves end up,.there Will always be trees to tend, handmaidens to look.after and areas that need hearts and thorns drawn on...
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved of the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat – we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."
Rabidnid

#42 Post by Rabidnid »

Well, the Tower of Dust on the south coast of Araby is business as usual. Sure are a lot of new immigrants though. The elves and eagles are fine, just not sure about the giant moggies, cold ones and hydras. The Kharibdyss are such cuties though, they can come.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Red Geist

#43 Post by Red Geist »

I believe that the new world will look like the old one but with a reboot on certain characters and lore chunks. Ulthuan may yet look the same, or even get bigger to make the high elf faction more fluid and more powerful, so people can make up their own state and kingdoms so they can fit into the lore more easily.
Makiwara
Chronicler

#44 Post by Makiwara »

I have been wondering if the changes of the End Times will truly stick or if this is going to be a glimpse into a future that may have been thing.
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
Rabidnid

#45 Post by Rabidnid »

Makiwara wrote:I have been wondering if the changes of the End Times will truly stick or if this is going to be a glimpse into a future that may have been thing.

Depends how hostile the response is from the players. I'm really tired of all this chaos versus undead crap. A thought occurs to me though that the reformation might be related to the next Total War, which is supposed to be WHFB. The map has been much rationalised, making things simpler for them.

4 shades of chaos, humans, elves, ogres, rats, slan and undead will be quite a practical number for a TW game.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Red Geist

#46 Post by Red Geist »

Rabidnid wrote:
Makiwara wrote:I have been wondering if the changes of the End Times will truly stick or if this is going to be a glimpse into a future that may have been thing.

Depends how hostile the response is from the players. I'm really tired of all this chaos versus undead crap. A thought occurs to me though that the reformation might be related to the next Total War, which is supposed to be WHFB. The map has been much rationalised, making things simpler for them.

4 shades of chaos, humans, elves, ogres, rats, slan and undead will be quite a practical number for a TW game.
If anyone remembers the shudder-inducing Warhammer: Battle March, certain races were simply excluded from skirmish play and there were only 3 campaigns. Empire, Orcs, and Chaos. I think Creative Assembly like most other GW games works independently of GW proper, otherwise Gabriel Angelos and Captain Titus would be minis or something. The only time the product crossed over into minis was when the studio converted a bunch of minis to match characters in the 40k movie.

I'm still in the camp of the game swapping to a Bound/Unbound system like in 40k, only allied lists are segregated to Unbound games only. So the alliances are technically canon, but rare as well as optional.