where in forum to find unit/character builds?

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
afterglow82

where in forum to find unit/character builds?

#1 Post by afterglow82 »

I know I've seen topic after topic filled with different peoples opinions on character builds and unit builds, but for the life of me, i cant find them anywhere now! could someone please point me in the direction?

alternatively, if anyone wants to advise here, I'm looking for builds for a big battle. Things like, which units benefit from which banner? Do i gave with reaver bow to someone in a unit of shadow warriors? or to the handmaiden? with a potion of strength, or is that best saved for prince on dragon with star lance? which combos/items with magic resistance work best in which units? (Caradryan with his MR(2) in the PG to bump their ward from 4+ to 2+?)

also mage builds. it's an almost unrestricted game, (except no teclis or tyrion). Alarielle with Life and Banner of Avelorn, casting throne of vines first then spamming ToV-upgraded life spells on her unit at +8 to cast seems pretty epic, although i know im playing with fire by putting her in a combat unit, but if shes in with PG and caradryan, maybe with another character to accept challenges, she should be relatively safe.... right?

I have loremaster too, i like the death sig spell (cant remember the name off the top of my head) against my opponents low-I models.

considering squeezing in a couple of light mages too, especially if i give alarielle one light spell too, banishment could get quite tasty

Anyway, any advice or thoughts would be appreciated! I'm returning after a long absence, so im fairly out of touch :P

cheers
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: where in forum to find unit/character builds?

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Might be an idea to post up a sample list in the Army Lists forum with an explanation of how you want the army to work and specifically ask if guys rate your builds.

You'll soon get ideas coming in.

:)
Viale

#3 Post by Viale »

I usually forgo The Banner of the World Dragon altogether, but this is related to me usually playing 2000 pts battles, so I typically find it hard to find 50 pts for it.

I've dabbled with putting the Reaver Bow on a Shadow Warrior champion, but that has also been dropped due to saving points and actually finding my guys being more useful in close combat with warmachine crews than trying to take a few potshots. But this is probably very dependent on your usual opponents and what you want the unit to do. My regular opponents when using the Bow on a Champion was Bretonnia, Dwarves and Chaos Dwarves, so not much utiity from that item.

I've fallen a bit in love with the idea of a Sea Helm on a Skycutter with the Bow and Khaines ring(which I believe I saw someone suggest on these boards), but I haven't used it yet. He just seems like a cool thing to have zipping around the battlefield.

Regarding mages I find them to be both quite expensive and very dependent on how your power dice treat you, I continue having miserable luck lately and it is really rage-inducing rolling a total of 3 or 5 in continuous magic phases. But I still love our Loremaster with the Book, Sword of might and Shield of Merwyrm(sort of standard equipment I suppose) He has gotten a reputation as the Swiss army knife in my group, simply due to always having a spell for any particular situation or match-up.

With that in mind, I would probably be careful to not go completely overboard on mages. I usually have 2 mages in my armies. Either a level 4 mage or a Loremaster and a level 2 mage who's usual role is to carry the dispell scroll. Unless my army is severely lacking in on department(going through armour, dealing with regeneration, fliers) I tend to start my level 2 out with High Magic simply because of Drain Magic. And after a few games I might switch his lore to something that compliments the army better.
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

I'll describe some of the more common builds been used

Prince on Star Dragon - Sword of Might, Talisman of Preservation, Dragonhelm, The Other Trickster's Shard, Heavy Armour, Lion's Cloak, Shield
Prince on Star Dragon - Star Lance, Talisman of Preservation, Dragonhelm, The Other Trickster's Shard, Heavy Armour, Lion's Cloak, Shield
Prince on Barded Steed - Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness, Heavy Armour
Prince on Barded Steed - Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, Potion of Foolhardiness, Heavy Armour, Shield

Archmage on foot - Book of Hoeth or Dispel Scroll
Archmage on foot - Book of Hoeth or Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Preservation or lesser
Archmage on Steed - Book of Hoeth or Dispel Scroll
Archmage on Steed - Book of Hoeth or Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Preservation or lesser
Archmage on Steed - Book of Hoeth or Dispel Scroll, Crown of Command

Anointed of Asuryan on foot - Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield\
Anointed of Asuryan on Phoenix - Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield

Noble BSB on foot - Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Charmed Shield, Halberd, Dragon Armour
Noble BSB on Barded Steed - Sword of Might, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Dragon Armour
Noble BSB on Barded Steed - Potion of Strength, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Dragon Armour, Lance
Noble BSB on Barded Steed - Banner of the World Dragon, Dragon Armour, Lance, Shield
Noble on Barded Steed - Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield or Dragonhelm (whatever isn't used by the prince), Dragon Armour
Noble on Barded Steed - Star Lance, The Other Trickster's Shard, Enchanted Shield, Dragon Armour

LSH on foot - Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Charmed Shield, Halberd, Dragon Armour
LSH on foot - magical banner (Banner of Avalorn or Banner of Swiftness is popular)
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
SteVieBizzLe

#5 Post by SteVieBizzLe »

Prince with the Wizarding Hat.