Opinions wanted on how to finish up a 3000pt list

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
srpelicano

Opinions wanted on how to finish up a 3000pt list

#1 Post by srpelicano »

Hey all, I've written up a 3k list and in modifying it, am stuck with some points left over . With the combined knowledge and experience from everyone here (take a bow), I'm hoping to figure out what to fill that up with. For starters my list is:

Anointed of Asuryan (Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Crown of Command) in 49 seaguard (full command)
Lvl 4 Archmage (Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Preservation) with 14 Phoenix Guard (full command)
Noble BSB (Sword of Striking, Armor of Fortune) with 17 White Lions full command (standard of discipline)
Handmaiden (Reaver Bow, Shield of the Merwyrm) with 9 Sisters of Avelorn
2x5 Ellyrion Reavers with spear, bows, and musician
2x5 Dragon Princes with musician and standard
Frostheart Phoenix
Great Eagle

with roughly 50 points left over

My thoughts are either add the Razor Standard to the Phoenix Guard (had a bad run in with Blood Knights and think the AP would help them against armor) or add another bare bones eagle for added redirection and charge baiting. Any suggestions on which of those two would be better, or what would fit better in general? My head has been exploding over what I would rather do.
J4far

Re: Opinions wanted on how to finish up a 3000pt list

#2 Post by J4far »

For a 3k game I would say your two elite infantry units (WL and PG) need some bodies more than toys. Consider you will lose a good number of them before combat, I would try to bump their numbers up to ~20 at least. To get the points to expand those units I would drop one unit of Dragon Princes and use up all the leftover points. If by the time you hit ~20/20 you have 50 points, a second eagle to fly along with your infantry to redirect for them would be beneficial.

Good luck!
srpelicano

#3 Post by srpelicano »

J4far wrote:For a 3k game I would say your two elite infantry units (WL and PG) need some bodies more than toys. Consider you will lose a good number of them before combat, I would try to bump their numbers up to ~20 at least. To get the points to expand those units I would drop one unit of Dragon Princes and use up all the leftover points. If by the time you hit ~20/20 you have 50 points, a second eagle to fly along with your infantry to redirect for them would be beneficial.

Good luck!
I see your point but was hoping to not have to buy anything else >_<. Any reason you say to drop the second Dragon Prince unit outside of paying for the extra bodies?
GrinningB@est

#4 Post by GrinningB@est »

As a consideration- the sword of striking is fairly superfluous given your BSB gets re-rolls against most anything. Assume it's there to deal with ethereals? You'd be better off with the sword of +1 strength IMO.
effreem

#5 Post by effreem »

IMO, I'd drop the seaguard to spearmen (yea, I love me some seaguard too but they never seem to work well for me, generally only shoot 1x then are in assault most of the time as HTH armies will likely be on you after 1 shooting from 24 inches or less and gunlines will outshoot you and you charge them.) For 49 seaguard thats like 65-ish spearmen you could have. ( a group of 25 and 40 or add archers?) and the spearmen can have a magic banner.

I personally also dont like DP's cause of the cost and S3 after the charge, I generally run 5man silver helms 2 wide cause all 5 still get to attack that way thanks to Martial Prowess. This will help with points to get more WL and PG.

I'd also drop the shield from the handmaiden and add another sister or put it on the BSB (the 4++ from armor is nice though but this allows you a sword of +st and how many wounds do you generally take on your characters that arent in HTH or look out sir-able.)
srpelicano

#6 Post by srpelicano »

Thanks for the replies all.

I've reworked the list to be:
Anointed with Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Crown of Command leading 49 SeaGuard (full command)
Lvl 4 Archmage with BoH, AoP leading 19 Phoenix Guard (full command)
BSB Noble with Sword of Strength, shield of Merwyrm leading 20 White Lions (Full Command, Banner of Discipline)
Handmaiden with Reaver Bow leading 8 Sisters of Avelorn
2x5 Reavers with bows, spears, musicians
9 Dragon Princes with standard and musician
Frostheart Phoenix
Eagle

It was little more than a lapse of judgement to put the shield on the handmaiden, so I rectified that. Thanks for catching that, effreem.

GrinningB@est, I chose the sword of striking to deal with ethereals (I fight vampires a lot) and that's also what I normally put on my Empire BSB, so force of habit a bit. Changed to the sword you suggested to give him some extra kick.

I don't know what it is, but I just can't get away from using seaguard. I've had extremely good luck with them and love the idea of getting that extra phase out of them. I haven't faced a gun line since 6th edition (fantasy kind of took a dive and my group of friends prefer getting to combat) so haven't really had to worry about being outranged. I can normally get a couple turns of shooting because of redirection with reavers and the eagle, plus I've taken out huge chunks of units with some lucky rolling and, well, masses of arrows and on point magic.

Again, thanks for the replies and the ideas. Hopefully I can get a couple wins with this list.
effreem

#7 Post by effreem »

Looks like it will be a fun list!

Does the handmaiden have the points to take the reaver bow and potion of strength? If so, that buffs her shooting really well for 1 turn.
srpelicano

#8 Post by srpelicano »

effreem wrote:Looks like it will be a fun list!

Does the handmaiden have the points to take the reaver bow and potion of strength? If so, that buffs her shooting really well for 1 turn.
Sadly, I'm at close to 2999 with the list, but that's an absolutely amazing idea. Posts like this are why I love this site. Combinations I'd never think of come to light!