Truescale High Elves

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Avendigo

Truescale High Elves

#1 Post by Avendigo »

Hi folks,

quite some time ago I started a project, that I want to share with you from now on.
The goal is to convert or modell miniatures to match my ideas of High Elf proportions and overall design, which in this matter is largely influenced by old armybook artists, when their illustrations were allowed to differ from the modells created by the design studio. I am talking about 6th Edition art, with black-eyed, annorexic but tall high elves, about the old cover of the first Gilead book, where feelings were transmitted and stories were told through mere pencil drawings. At least, for me that was the case! :wink:

The 6th Edition was also the time, when I first started playing Warhammer, High Elves. I build up an army, painted them, and sold most of 'em, as soon as my classmates stopped playing.
Many years later I found some remains of this army and began to plan a new army, just out of pure nostalgia... :roll:

As I didn't have any pressure or deadlines, I wanted to "use up" those few modells - those metall swordmasters - and create a good looking unit resembling all those things, which high elves represent imo. elegance, deadliness, tragic, arrogance, beauty and so on... Luckily, I stumbled at that time upon Arimatas Guerilla Wood Elves, and was amazed by the effect a scalechange did for them!

To come to an end, again, some years later, with many long breaks, I can say that the first modells are not far from beeing finished.

I started 6 different unit representatives:

the Swordmasters (Standard bearer:)

Swordmaster Hero / Loremaster

White Lions (Champ:)

Pheonix Guard:

And a Seaguard Hero:

More photos will be updated soon...

I hope to hear, what you think about the project, about the scalechange (gaming purposes...line of sight?), about the feeling of "elfiness", if you tried to do sth similar or not. Which conversions you like, which not.
Last edited by Avendigo on Sun May 12, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 12 times in total.
cahd

Re: True Scale High Elves - converting and scratchbuilding

#2 Post by cahd »

These are spectacular. That swordmaster is really evocative and communicates a lot of motion and threat. I love how visually pleasing the model is shaping up to be without needing to be decked out in ornament. I always saw the personality of the army as being a little more austere and stoic than the baroque vision that GW has often provided.

I came into the game during 6th as well and was totally enamored with those same drawings. I really feel like the art direction has not lived up to that era. Not that what we have isn't good because much of it is (including the stunning cover of the 8th ed HE armybook.)

i really want to see some paint on these.
and that seaguard helm is sick.
Jimmy
Centurion

#3 Post by Jimmy »

Wow, can't wait to see how this progresses!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Avendigo

#4 Post by Avendigo »

*Updated the Phoenix and the Lion*

@cahd: I love the art of the 8th Edition, but imo it lacks the soul and feeling of the 6th edition, where almost every page has drawings of epic regiments. The recycling and recoloring of allready existing art was somehow a little dissapointment this time, but those little page ornaments weren't! And I take much inspiration from those, you will see!
Alas, that seaguard helmet is inspired from that book. And its not completely finished yet. More to come!
RE.Lee

Re: True Scale High Elves - converting and sculpting *pics*

#5 Post by RE.Lee »

These are fabulous! The White Lion is a particularly epic miniature, but all are a pleasure to look at - I'll be on the lookout for future updates :)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

Truly glorious! A lot of work and love going into these models, keep it up!
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#7 Post by Galharen »

wow :!: :!: :!: =D>
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#8 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

That's amazing stuff! I am really looking forward to seeing more of your outstanding sculpts. I would love to have that White Lion! Is it based on the graphics where a single white lions holds a bunch of puny humans on some stairs? Fantastic! Do you intend to paint them at some stage? Boy, I haven't felt the urge to buy a model as much as I do now for I can't remember how long!

Keep up fantastic work! You are an inspiration! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Glorfindain

#9 Post by Glorfindain »

To echo the above comments the Swordmaster standard bearer and White Lion champion are amazing. The negative space around the face on the champion is very well achieved. You have a gift, thanks for sharing.
tinman

#10 Post by tinman »

Very very nice start!! Really like how dynamic their poses are. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Avendigo

#11 Post by Avendigo »

Thank you all for the kindhearted words!

*UPDATED*...

...the Swordmaster unit. These were actually the first 4 models I started to convert in such a radical way. Can you make out the lower bodyparts of the old metal grave guard?
The one one the left edge is the least dissected metal swordmaster model. I still believed, that you can achive a dynamic pose using those static models. Boy, had I known, what mess I got myself in!... :lol:

Image Image

Image Image

Now I have to deside, which unit I start completing next. Either I finish my unit of "14" swordmasters (with 11 models, so 6 more to go)
or I tackle the White Lion project (@Swordmaster of Hoeth, thats the one! But along the sculpting process I strode away a bit from the original art...) and start sculpting more lions and elves.
Image Image Image

...Or I finish my first rank of Spears, should be around 6 or 7 models (only one prototype build).
...Or the Sisters/Maiden Guard.
Image Image
...Or the Phoenix Guard.
...Or I start a whole new unit of archers / Shadow Warriors.
...Or I start building Dragon Princes.
Image Image

And there are still the dragon and gryph in making.
Image Image Image Image

Are you keen to see a whole unit getting finished, or are you eager to see a new approach on some beloved units, which in your opinion didn't get the models they deserved...?
Dorian

Re: True Scale High Elves - *Swordmasters updated*

#12 Post by Dorian »

I am just in utter awe.....*THIS* is what High Elves should look like!

I'd pay a fair whack of money for a production run of these. The Swordmasters really evoke a "storm of blades" feel and the White Lion is just majestic with his enormous cloak.
RE.Lee

#13 Post by RE.Lee »

Glorious! Single miniatures like these are great - entire units are incredible :)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
endontoddy

#14 Post by endontoddy »

Fantastic =D>

Love those Swordies. The dynamic poses you have managed to create put GW to shame.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#15 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

As a Sea Elf, I can't not like that SeaHelm conversion, and the Swordmasters are so dynamic~ Well played Sir.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Knight of the Raven

#16 Post by Knight of the Raven »

The official models already look very good, but these are simply amazing.

N.B. Yay black-eyed elves! :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#17 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

With dynamic poses like that Swordmasters better be skirmishing unit :) And they are definitely prime candidate for some diorama and battle scene. You inspire to start converting miniatures even more! It is amazing that you used Grave Guard lower bodies for it! =D>

It is hard to decide because I would love to see it all! :D Out of curiosity, if you decided to do full unit, how many models/poses would you aim for?

Would love to see them painted too! Keep up the great work! =D>

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Avendigo

#18 Post by Avendigo »

*UPDATED*...

... the Sea Guard Hero. Extended the scale mail and completed his helmet. For the better or worse, its done.

Now I'm getting more and more uncertain about giving him a spear to hold. I guess I go with a sword then...
Any ideas, which one? Short/Longsword? Plain/Decorated?
Glorfindain

Re: True Scale High Elves - *Sea Lord updated*

#19 Post by Glorfindain »

I'm a huge fan of how the helmet turned out! I think a short sword would fit well with the pose and it wouldn't get in the way when pushing models together in combat. Is there ANY chance you do commission work?
solith

#20 Post by solith »

:shock: Words don't do these justice. Absolutely incredible. I just love how dynamic your models are. Elves as they are meant to be indeed! I think that with a handful of unpainted models you've claimed my personal title of 'coolest models ever'. =D>
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
aquietfrog

#21 Post by aquietfrog »

As a 3D artist, I must say your work is quite inspirational. When I get around to learning how to 3D print, I suppose the first project I would aim for is a replica of your swordmasters.
Gandalf_82

#23 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Holy smoke, that is some fantastic work! Take a bow that man!

In answer to your question about what next, I'd love to see you finish that unit of Swordmasters and then paint them up! The poses are superb, really capture the feel of them carving their way through the enemies of the Asur! =D>
Avendigo

#24 Post by Avendigo »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:With dynamic poses like that Swordmasters better be skirmishing unit :) And they are definitely prime candidate for some diorama and battle scene. You inspire to start converting miniatures even more! It is amazing that you used Grave Guard lower bodies for it! =D>
What do you mean by "better be skirmishing unit"?
As for the GG, at those times I was in school, had no money, and used what I could find in my bitzbox, whithout buying new stuff (plastic, yeeeeeeaaah!) I like, like the daemonettes for example, which I will build my Maidens from... :D
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:It is hard to decide because I would love to see it all! :D Out of curiosity, if you decided to do full unit, how many models/poses would you aim for?
I am opting for a unit of 5x3 WL, 7x2 SM, and 20 or 24 spears. As for the rest (DP, archers, PG, maidens) - no idea yet. Any suggestions?
That doesn't mean, i will build/(re)sculpt 14 SM models. I guess, it will be 11, as 3 of them will be on a 1x2 (20x40mm) base... :D gotta save work!
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Would love to see them painted too!
Gandalf_82 wrote:I'd love to see you finish that unit of Swordmasters and then paint them up!
cahd wrote:i really want to see some paint on these.
As for the next step, I am gonna finish those swordies. I really really hope that by the end of summer I have them painted up!
Glorfindain wrote:Is there ANY chance you do commission work?
There is some, yes. Depends on the assignment, though... :wink:
Just message me, if you are interested.

Big thanks to all of you for your comments and motivation. If there are things you'd like to see different, please don't hold back your critics!
Draecarion

#25 Post by Draecarion »

This is incredible and inspiring! =D>

May I ask what techniques and what model parts you used for the swordmasters (so which kind of epoxy putty apart from the green stuff)? The original swordmasters are so static ... your work inspired me to try something similar (although I'm a complete beginner at modelling)

Also, where did you get the lion head for the White Lion? Would love to see one of the units finished! :)
Avendigo

Re: True Scale High Elves - Testing a color scheme

#26 Post by Avendigo »

Small WiP Preview of my first painted miniature in this series. Gonna post the finished miniature probably next week.

The blog's been quite dead since the crash and the lost accounts, among whose mine was. If that wasn't enough, some of my miniatures I was working on got crushed by an ill-mounted shutter after moving to a new place.
You probably can imagine, how this crushes your motivation to repeat all this work...

So now I'm back again with some sculpting and painting updates, arriving little by little in the course of the following weeks.
Loremaster Avarael

Re: True Scale High Elves - Testing new colour scheme

#27 Post by Loremaster Avarael »

With the level of work you have done it is a hobby tragedy to hear about the crushed minis!!! Anything you post will be much appreciated though.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#28 Post by Galharen »

Shit, some serious damages? I know hat something like this can completely ruin someone's motivation :(
Eldfågeln

#29 Post by Eldfågeln »

Big hug to you!
Hoping to see more of your masterful sculpting! Keep on doing the good work.
John Rainbow

#30 Post by John Rainbow »

Sad to hear you lost some stuff :(

Would love to see you carry on this work though. Its really original and really, really good! I am a big fan of the shots from your sketch book. Thanks for sharing and keep going!