Where do white lions live?

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

TheUnhappySasquatch

Where do white lions live?

#1 Post by TheUnhappySasquatch »

Where abouts do the white lions live mostly? In the forrest or the open country side or in the mountains? I mean the animal not the body guard to the pheonix king. The reason i want to know is so i know where i want the temple/city that my chracians come from

Thanks
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

Re: Where do white lions live?

#2 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

In the Forests at the base of the Annulii, and in the Annulii themselves, amongst the various other creatures that inhabit the peaks.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Giladis
The Merlord

#3 Post by Giladis »

They live in the wild forested foothills of the Anulli.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#4 Post by Luna Guardian »

They live in the wilderness of Chrace. As most of Chrace is forests and mountains, it's safe to say they live in both forests and mountains.

I do remember reading something about Chracian hunters having hunting lodges in the mountains though, so I suppose mountain forests would be a safe choice

EDIT: I find it funny that the first people to answer are both seafahring elves :P
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#5 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Luna Guardian wrote:I find it funny that the first people to answer are both seafaring elves :P
:lol: Great isn't it, tis quite humorous indeed, hahaaaaaa *said in an upper class accent, reminisent of the over indulgent ceasar bot from futurama, that likes having his nipples taken to with a belt sander*
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Ashlian

#6 Post by Ashlian »

white lions don't live in chrace, they live in Eataine (place where current PK resides
painting models: [url]http://warhammerhighelveswhitelions.blogspot.be/[/url]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#7 Post by Luna Guardian »

Ashlian wrote:white lions don't live in chrace, they live in Eataine (place where current PK resides
Is this a troll? Or just ignorance?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#8 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Luna Guardian wrote:
Ashlian wrote:white lions don't live in chrace, they live in Eataine (place where current PK resides
+1

I hope thats just a joke, as yes "SOME OF" the White Lions reside in Eataine, to guard the PK, but they LIVE and grow up, train, hunt (to become a real white lion, instead of a cub), and everything else in CHRACE.

Noob.... :roll: :wink:
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#9 Post by Eldacar »

Luna Guardian wrote:
I think he may be referring to the White Lions in the sense of the unit of Chracian hunters who protect the Phoenix King.
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#10 Post by Luna Guardian »

Eldacar wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:
I think he may be referring to the White Lions in the sense of the unit of Chracian hunters who protect the Phoenix King.
And if this is the case, I apologise. But even so, not all of the White Lions (and I doubt even the majority of them) reside in Eataine. In either case, it is absolutely false to state that White Lions don't live in Chrace

Ashlian

#11 Post by Ashlian »

It's true that almost all white lion's originate from chrace but After reading the army-book I couldn't find a sentence that says that white lions live in chrace.

They have to slay one of the lions that live there to earn the title "white lion". As most of these warriors actually lived in chrace you might think they stay there but I think that's nonsense, How can you protect your lord when he's miles away in another province? I agree that the hunters/woodsmen of chrace are probably having the same features as most members of the "white lion's" as they originate from the same land, but they are far from the same.

"White lion" is a title the bodyguards of the PK get

=> first slay a lion => get the title

=> you don't have to be charian to be white lion (so why should they all live there?)

I conclude that people who hold the title "white lion" reside at the PK-court (wich is in Eataine this day and age) unless send elswhere for war/defences.

If you still think I'm an idiot (noob/ignorant/troll) then give me a page and sentence in the army-book that literally sais the white lions live in Chrace.
Should you find such sentence I will humbly appologise

(I only have the latest edition Army-book)
Thrilmamir

#12 Post by Thrilmamir »

Read the entire post. The OP wants to know about the Animal and not the Bodyguard.
Ashlian

#13 Post by Ashlian »

oops :oops: must've misread that (terribly sorry), thanks for pointing out my mistake (in a constructive way) Thrilmamir.
If you're talking about the beast, then yess, it does live in the forests/mountains of Chrace.
sorry again, my bad...
Thrilmamir

#14 Post by Thrilmamir »

No problem. I just wanted to avoid a minor flame war over a miscommunication. All cleared up. No hard feeling.... =D>
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#15 Post by Luna Guardian »

Ashlian wrote: "White lion" is a title the bodyguards of the PK get

=> first slay a lion => get the title

=> you don't have to be charian to be white lion (so why should they all live there?)
This I want to pay special heed to.
First, White Lion is a title that's given to you when you pass the tests to become one, not when you become the bodyguard of the Phoenix King. Second, just killing a white lion doesn't automatically make you one of the White Lions. Thirdly, you pretty much have to be Chracian to be allowed to take the tests.

I concede that there may be extremely rare cases when a non-Chracian becomes a White Lion, but I don't think just any run of the mill yuppie from Yvresse would be accepted into the White Lions, even if he did kill one of the beasts (granted, then he wouldn't be a run of the mill yuppie, but you get the point). And even if we assume that this exact thing happened, and this random elf became a White Lion, so what? He doesn't live in Chrace, but it's because he's not Chracian, not because he's a White Lion. Most of the White Lions are, and they live in Chrace. So, in order to save time and effort, instead of writing "White Lions live in Chrace, except for this one from Yvresse", I just say White Lions live in Chrace, unless they are on active duty.
The White Lions form the Phoenix King's bodyguard, but that doesn't mean that every White Lion in existance hangs around the palace. There're probably the best couple hundred White Lions stationed at the palace at any given time. These guys aren't the palace guards, they don't patrol the walls or stand in every doorway. That's what the Lothern Sea Guard or the Palace Guard are for.

So, no, I can't give a page that says that the White Lions don't follow the Phoenix King everywhere he goes like mindless puppies, but just through common sense I can deduce, that these guys have lives and families, probably in Chrace. Can you give me a page where it says that every Tiranocian doesn't ride a chariot everywhere all the time or that every Dark Elf doesn't wear pink lace thongs?

And you misunderstand my meaning. I didn't call you an idiot at any point, I merely questioned your post. It is very confrontational, doesn't answer the OPs question and, sorry to say this, is just flat-out wrong. All this smells like either a troll or someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. The former isn't accepted, the latter is unavoidable when new to a hobby. Keep an open mind and be willing to learn. This is a very good board for new members to get in touch with the rules and fluff of the game and especially the High Elves. Unfortunately, this also means you'll have to give up some of your preconceptions (or work them into your fluff if you must hold on to them)

Jimmy
Centurion

#16 Post by Jimmy »

or that every Dark Elf doesn't wear pink lace thongs?
Come on now, I'm confident there would be shades of purple in there as well.

:D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#17 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

So the summary of this thread is:
-Some people can be easily confused with as too the same name, two meaning of White Lions, and White Lions.
-Some people should deffinately do their research, before stating that they know what is which, and which is where, within what's where which is whats not where it was once was, or where they think things are not implied by the naming of "of Chrace".
-Others cant spell Charce...
-And that ALL Druchii undoubtably wear Pink (and possibly) Purple thongs/G&V-string lacey undergarments.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Tahl

#18 Post by Tahl »

I'd always assumed that the kings bodyguard would be a very protected group. I don't think it would be a simple case of go to Chrace and kill a lion. Based purely on logic I would speculate that it's a fairly closed off community that is specially trained from a young age to become a White Lion, and thus protect the King.

other than that, what the others said with the caveat of "Mostly" in regards to the animal. It "mostly" resides in these areas as I doubt it adheres to the neat provincial boundary lines whilst it's living its life.
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
dublindawg

#19 Post by dublindawg »

I will say this first and formost, I consider myself a noob in most regards as I haven't read any of the novels put out by GW and know only what I have gleened off of AB's and forums.

That being said I would have to slightly disagree that DE's wear pink lacey thongs. They strike me as more of purple or black leather thong wearing group of manical (sp) killers.

With regards to the White Lions of Chrace, the Asur's and not the feline's, I have to agree that they are a select group of warriors selected from the best of the best of Chrace's woodsmen. They are not an organization like the Navy S.E.A.Ls that allow entry from all branches of service and train to earn the right to wear the lion pelt. It is a way of life that they are raised up in, not something that one day someone can say, oh hey I can do what they can, let me take a test and earn that pelt.
Musashi

#20 Post by Musashi »

1. Big cats being alpha predators tend to roam where the hunting is good and the environment friendly to their continued survival, so figure out what they like and then you can establish the boundary of their ranges. Immigration control probably requires lethal force.

2. There any number of reasons why the White Lions are exclusively composed of Chracians who happen to have survived a life and death struggle with a big pussy cat, but the AB seems to provide most of the clues:

a. Despite their near immortality, not every Ulthuan wants to visit Chrace; of those that do, some may be environmentalists at heart.

b. Killing big pussy cats is an iffy proposition, especially if you need to get up close and personal - sometimes you get the pussy cat, and sometimes the pussy cat gets you, and you don't live a couple of millenia by taking unnecessary risks.

c. Considering that it's not an impossible task to infiltrate the Ulthuan armed forces by agents from governments inclined to have differing foreign policies, it is advantageous that certain elite units are recruited from a limited pool whose members have known each other since birth and would be aware of any unusual behaviour on part of their comrade. While not mentioned, there may be two differing units that provide security, one that deals with the outer boundaries, such as palace and perimeter guards, essentially Praetorians, and one that may be akin to Companions, whose membership may or may not stem from the aristocracy exclusively, as well as some interesting individuals the Phoenix King picked up during the course of time.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
jwg20

#21 Post by jwg20 »

Weren't they called "white lions of charce" for the longest time in older books (in 4th, 5th, and 6th edition books)? That seems to imply they're from Charce exclusively, or live there normally. Also, when Caledor was rescued by them, he was rescued by them when he was hunting in charce. Sort of like "Swordsmasters of Hoeth" as they were called because they are the guardians of the white tower (and were given the job to hunt worshipers of the chaos gods by Malkeith, which is why they can be found outside of the White Tower now).

As to where the White Lion, the animal, is from, I'd say the mountains or the forests at the foot of the mountains. Typically, an animal's coat color reflects the type of terrain it usually resides. Because it's white, I assume that White Lions are often hunting the bigger creatures in the high Anulii mountains (covered in snow), and probably control the entire range from the mountain tops to the forests at the base.
Link to my YouTube Channel:
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#22 Post by Luna Guardian »

jwg20 wrote:Typically, an animal's coat color reflects the type of terrain it usually resides. Because it's white, I assume that White Lions are often hunting the bigger creatures in the high Anulii mountains (covered in snow), and probably control the entire range from the mountain tops to the forests at the base.
This makes perfect sense in our world and is not a bad deducation by any stretch. However, I believe that the white lions are a magical creature and their fur is affected by the magic that flows through the Anulii mountains (I think I remember reading this somewhere, could just be one of the on-site campaigns we had).

Still, not a bad theory at all.

Flame of the Asuryan

#23 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

White Lions live in Southern Africa!
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
daid13

#24 Post by daid13 »

One thing to note is that there is "a guard of 100 White Lions of Chrace watching over the Phoenix Crown at all times." On whether all White Lions come from Chrace the quote above says White Lions of Chrace and on the Chracian Hunters page it says that to be a White Lion you must "complete the traditional rite of a Chracian warrior" which could mean that you have to be Chracian but isn't 100% either way.