Reasonable gamesmanship or is this guy just being a ****?

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andrew_uk

Reasonable gamesmanship or is this guy just being a ****?

#1 Post by Andrew_uk »

I only play the odd game of warhammer nowadays but play European strategy games every week (usually twice a week) and have done for years

While at uni I played twice a week in a semi competitive environment (I would have said out of 45 regular players 5/6 were 'top tier' in terms of ability and I could match myself against them)

I then joined a games club at home, generally a higher standard than the guys at uni (I'd have said within a regular group of about 8 there are about 3 who were in that top tier, I won as often as they did and more at some games which I knew well)

I then moved to London and play in 3 groups... one in central London which runs on weekends and is a bit of a trek to get to, the standard is resonable and out of about 30 players there are probably 5 or so who are within that top bracket - but I don't go often so can't give a really true representation of them

I play amongst one group of friends I have made outside of gaming, generally speaking none of them are really in that top tier but theres a couple who are getting the hang of things and developing more of a strategic brain

I also play online regularly and my favourite 2 online games I have a 72% win rate and a 64% win rate in 2 player environments. Another game I love I have a 51% win rate in 4 player environments though the quality of my opposition can vary for all of these

My point from all of the above is that I am experienced and I know what I'm doing....

Then the club I play at most regularly. It is very competitive and I would say out of 20 regulars there are around 10-12 top tier players. The president of the club won some competition about 5 years ago and has been harking on about it as though he is some kind of god at games ever since. He's good, his knowledge is wide ranging, his decision making is superb and he is excellent at welcoming new players.

What I sense is he is not good at welcoming experienced players from other meta groups. When I win he is the first person to tell me where I got lucky, if I take a gamble in the midgame and it doesn't pay off he is the first person to ask 'are you sure you have played before?' and 'ahhhh well you see, we play hard ball down here.... you're probably not used to this standard of opposition'

I beat him last week playing a strategy he had not even considered as viable. He proceeded to explain to me why it wasn't and how I was lucky. Now this week we played a political game where the point is to try to get other players bickering, he did quite well to stir things between me and two other players and it was all to his benefit. He played it very well. But the attacks seemed quite personal with him saying that I didn't know what I was doing and they continued after that point in the game where stirring up trouble between players had lost all relevance.

I'm annoyed by his arrogance and his attitude towards new but experienced players. I've beaten him in direct competition as often as he's beaten me. What do I have to do to win this guys respect?
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Teledor

Re: Reasonable gamesmanship or is this guy just being a ****?

#2 Post by Teledor »

The guy is just an arrogant @ss. If you haven't gained his respect by giving him competitive games by now, I seriously doubt you ever will. Guys like that exist as I am sure you know very well. Chalk him up as one of them.
Paraicj

#3 Post by Paraicj »

Weird deja vu feeling here. Did you not post this some time last year? :?
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg11hc95.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/mora3q5k.gif[/img]
[i]Dread Lord Zakhital Goremane the Incompetent, 181 kills 5/22/11
[color=red][b]Vaul's Vengeful Villain[/b][/color]
[url=http://img3.abload.de/img/paraicamonueiq.jpg]Paraicamon, I choose you![/url][/i]
Andrew_uk

#4 Post by Andrew_uk »

No last year I couldn't quite figure out how best to deal with a different guy who was being horrible to another player. Now I have the chairman of a different games club being horrible to me. It's odd because he's brilliant with new players
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Ghost

#5 Post by Ghost »

Have you ever spoken with him one-on-one?

Coffee shop, informal setting outside of the game to go over things outside of the competitive atmosphere?
Could help.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Andrew_uk wrote:No last year I couldn't quite figure out how best to deal with a different guy who was being horrible to another player. Now I have the chairman of a different games club being horrible to me. It's odd because he's brilliant with new players
It could be that he thinks you come off as arrogant. Obviously you don't intend to be, but he might be misinterpreting some of your reactions. The more annoyed you get at his arrogance the more he thinks you're being arrogant sort of thing. He could honestly think that you're coming in demanding respect that in his eyes you haven't earned yet. Best thing to do is sit down and talk to him about it, start it with a friendly gesture *and as mentioned above away from games). This is the sort of thing that can cycle out of control with neither of you understanding where the other is coming from.