Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

John Rainbow

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

#1 Post by John Rainbow »

So, anyone else started Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Ed.? It came out today. I just started a female Elven fighter/thief.
John Rainbow

Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I have to say I'm quite surprised no one else is rocking this out. It's such a nostalgia throwback. And a great game - one of the best ever in my opinion.
dabber
Tactician

#3 Post by dabber »

I certainly liked Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and the expansions. But spellcasting always frustrated me a bit because I never knew how long it took to cast a given spell or whether a caster was in the middle of casting one.

But from a quick read, I would not buy an "enhanced edition" that improves the graphics. I don't care much about the graphics; I care about the gameplay and storyline. Those games had awesome plot and good enough gameplay. If they improved the gameplay a bit and added some more subquests/subplots, I might be interested.
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

From what I can see, the graphics are not that different. There are some added quests, increased level cap, new items and stuff though. All the BG2 classes are available from the start too. I must admit, I bought it purely on the nostalgia factor but am loving playing it through again (so far and I've only played maybe an hour or so!).
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#5 Post by Eldacar »

I haven't gotten it yet, but I will.
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.
Mentheus of Caledor

#6 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

I've only played Baldur's gate 2: Dark Alliance, and I'm definitely picking it up. :D
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#7 Post by Silver »

I don't care for BG much, tried NWN and didn't like it either.
Got Planescape Torment and haven't touched it yet but keep reading that its an awesome game.

Gotta give it a try I guess but I'm too busy for now.
Playing Mountain of Faith (Touhou Project #10) on Easy mode and I'm having a hard time clearing it :[ Now THAT's challenge!~ (and the graphics are gorgeous)
Kalandros Shadowsun
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#8 Post by Eldacar »

Silver wrote:I don't care for BG much...
You and I will need to have words out back, by the chemical sheds. :wink:
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.
Meif

#9 Post by Meif »

Yeah, I immediately went for Human Blackguard :mrgreen: .

Going to check out if there are other new class kits I didn't have when I was playing the Tutu version (That is BG1 with BG2 interface and class kits).
[quote="EricJ"]I guess Swedes are just a tad more gay than your average European.
And Finns a tad more masculine.[/quote]
John Rainbow

#10 Post by John Rainbow »

I don't think there are other new kits, they just unlocked all the BG2 ones from the start.
Aryel

#11 Post by Aryel »

While I was excited for this "enhanced edition", I found that $20 USD is a lot for what it offers. Considering that using my old CDs and with the vast amount of mods out there I can have the same fun. Cheaper.

Even buying the game from gog.com is cheaper and installing the important mods you can have a wonderful BG, BGII and ToB experience.

@ Mentheus of Caledor: Beware, the original (you know, the good ones) BG are not like those PS games.
I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say "snuggle 'em all!"