Chariot Prince Evolution

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Chariot Prince Evolution

#91 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks a lot Jay, pleased you're getting something out of it. I make no great claims but feel it's worth exploring this corner of High Elf-dom. As you say I've had some great feedback too!

Congrats on 3rd at SCGT Amit, that was awesome! For general info Amit was the DE.player who practically tabled me rnd 3 of my January event. In my defence he's really good!

Take it you've checked out Rando's epic thread here Amit? I imagine you'll get a lot of joy out of Brewmaster's. Possibly the most entertaining poster on this forum!

I know Eldria (Tom Harris) has been running the Coven but presumably he's switching to Daemons now to prepare for the ETC.
Jal

#92 Post by Jal »

Cheers Phil!

Yeah, I've started on Brewmaster's, Randho's and your blogs so far - will work my way through them over the coming week or so.

I've had 1 battle so far with the new army, and loved the playstyle - to make the Dark Elves competative there was really only 1/2 builds and I've run them to death over the last few months, and it's just got a bit stale to be honest. The idea is to build up a largish High Elf army until the end of the year, then back to Dark Elves for the new book next year.

I'll have to try and meet Tom at my next tournament, it's quite amusing as obviously I've met yourself, Randho, Dan, Dale and I know Swordmaster's brother so it seems that alot of the major posters here are based on the UK scence which is always nice, as the advice/tactics are for the right meta.

I take it you had fun facing JD's Stag list at the last Waagh? It raised some eyebrows at SCGT, most notably a Mark Wildman quote of " I had no idea what it did, so I just tried to stay the f*** away for as long as possible"
Amit Hindocha

ETC England 2016 T9A
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#93 Post by SpellArcher »

As you can see Amit we've got quite a variety of builds here. HE's have a soft reputation in the UK but most guys are unaware of what's going on abroad.

Speaking of which, how do you know Swordmaster's brother? He's Polish isn't he?

I turned up late for the game with JD. I offered the stag lord a charge on my guy at the endwhich he made. Luckily shot a wound off then had a fit when he produced the 2+ Ward! Fortunately Loec killed him anyway, I wouldn't have enjoyed the Spear of Twilight.
Jal

#94 Post by Jal »

He is indeed, but Tom lives on the South Coast of our lovely country and I met him at a Brigton Warlords tournament which he ran a couple of months ago - nice chap!

JD had a moment at SCGT where he let 3 lances of Knights charge his lord turn 2. By turn 6, 2 lances were dead and the lord ran down the third lance. I've never, ever seen JD that happy.
Amit Hindocha

ETC England 2016 T9A
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#95 Post by SpellArcher »

Played on Saturday, report here:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=40824

I took:

Prince, Chariot, DA, GW, Ch Shield, Reaver Bow, 4+ Ward, Loec.
Archmage, High, Wand, Dragonbane.
BSB, AoC, GW, Guardian Phoenix.

10 Archers, Musician.
24 Spears, FC.
15 LSG, Shields, FC, Arcane Protection.

10 White Lions, FC, Flaming, GoC.
5 DP's, FC, Sorcery, Strength.
14 Swordmasters, FC, Balance, Light.
5 Reavers, Bows, Musician.

RBT
Eagle

As suggested above, I drafted in the Lions to add grinding power. The Flaming banner would make them good monster-hunters and Gem of Courage a bit more reliable. They cost me the Helms and an Eagle, a bit of speed and a chaff drop.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#96 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi SpellArcher,

You have a very rich army here considering how many magic items it uses :) I am sure they all are very useful but since I haven't included some of them yet (at least in 8th edition) I have some questions.

1. Banner of Arcane Protection - you haven't commented about its usefulness in your report yet so I am wondering if its impact was minor or less direct?

2. Banner of Sorcery - with High Magic you often have enough dice to cast spells anyway, how crucial was its presence?

In general I like your characters set up a lot but with so many magic items you also increase point cost per model in your special forces. While it improves their potential (as Standard of Balance and Potion of Strength helped you to overcome Bloodleters and Sphinx) and definitely is of significant help does it balance out the fact that every casualty you suffer hurts you much more than if you had regiments without the upgrades?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#97 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The arcane banner on the Sea Guard is there to save the Arch Mage, with it he's got a 2+ ward against magic, the banner is much cheaper than the Loremasters cloak.
The Banner of Sorcery is handy even with low cost lores like High, it gives you a psychological edge. With more dice your opponent starts thinking "Which one of these spells should I stop?". This can let you get through an extra spell or two while they save their Dice for the 'important' one.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#98 Post by SpellArcher »

My list has no scroll or Crystal. Accordingly I feel it necessary to give all my characters Ward saves vs sniping spells. Banner of Arcane Protection is used rarely but it's there for when I need it.

I tried playing without Banner of Sorcery and it was Ok. But I feel on balance that the list needs it. It needs the option of cranking up pressure in all phases of the game.

Standard of Balance makes the Swordmasters more reliable. It also functions as a defensive buff that can't be dispelled. Only vs Hatred and Frenzy but very many of the strongest enemy in the game depend on those.

In general, it is a conscious policy to load up the units. Yes they become high-cost but the whole idea of the army is to build a plethora of abilities in. Where a more numerous force depends on outmaneouvering and often flanking the enemy, my list is all about punching a hole through a weak point in the line with the right tool and the right support.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#99 Post by SpellArcher »

White Lions

How did they do? In game 1 they died to a chariot charge, though they did weaken the enemy unit. Game 2 they got eaten by a deathstar. Game 3 was the best. I needed to deal with some Flesh Hounds on my left. The Lions were small enough to not be needed in the centre but strong enough to do the job. The Helms could not have done it.

Conversely in game 2 I missed the speed of the Helms. In a way I didn't face the armies for which the Lions were brought into the list. But so far I'm happy that they're there to take a bit of heat off the Swordmasters .

Redirectors

Dropping the second eagle is ostensibly a big blow. But something had to go and I've felt for some time that the army could manage without if it had to. Dropping the standards from the Reavers and Archers made these more viable as emergency redirectors and in general the flexibility of the army should let it work, I felt.

In practice? Game 1 it was not a problem as I was the one doing the attacking. Game two another eagle would have been nice but would not have changed a lot I feel. Game three the one eagle was exactly what I needed.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#100 Post by SpellArcher »

Magic

Over the three games I remained relatively happy with my Archmage. One pleasing factor was the effectiveness of Curse of Arrow Attraction. In the past this had been great but lately not so much. In games one and three here it really helped my shooting to dispose of the Warsphynx and the big chariot.

Game two I cascaded him first spell, it happens. I've considered giving Radiant Gem to my BSB as a back-up. I would need to keep him in the bunker for protection I feel. With Lore of Beasts he could potentially buff surrounding units and of course I'd have his +2 to fall back on if the Archmage went down.

I had regarded his combat power in the Spears as not great. But against the Ushabti and the Horrors here it was an effective combination, especially with the standard I'd switched over from the Archers. He was also able to run for it and survive in game two, impossible without the defensive gear. Lastly of course, keeping both characters in the bunker would make it a very juicy target indeed.
Csjarrat

#101 Post by Csjarrat »

if you're thinking about radiant gem on the bsb, i'd recommend looking at putting him into a cavalry unit. mounted up he can get a good save, cause some hurt and also give good magical backup. i like mine running with heavens, iceshard is such a lovely spell and easy to cast too.
i run it quite often in an SH bus, and quite like it. i go with lance/shield/rgoh/luckstone
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#102 Post by SpellArcher »

I did consider this a while ago...

The Knight Bus
(with apologies to JK Rowling)

I run a Chariot Prince, so the only character I might put in a cavalry unit is my BSB. As things stand he tends to sit in my Spear block. It's solid, he adds a bit of punch to the static CR but can be a bit underwhelming. A cavalry unit with him in does a sight more damage on the charge and he adds a crucial re-roll making such a unit grind better. You then have a choice between the Gem (for added magical fun) or a GW tank build (for added blood).

I try to keep an eye on other guys' play and I remember Csjarrat being happy with this set-up before. Seredain also favours it (the crunchy version) at lower points totals. I seem to remember Joey Boy running a Cav Prince list successfully but opining that two fighting characters were necessary to give the bus sufficient punch.

I also remember Simon Hyett running a BSB with DP's bus, the logic being that these give a bit more hittiness I guess. My problem is that no way do I have enough of my old-style cavalry to make a sizeable unit of DP's. I could scrape together the Helms if necessary.

What happens if I do this? It does tend to leave my Spears a little soft and upping these to 30 messes with my Core set-up, the Archers and LSG cannot be reduced and still do their jobs. My elites can cope with a remote BSB (having additional psychology protection) but the Spears in particular would miss him.

On balance this is something I might well consider when the new book arrives, though obviously a lot of things will be changing then. Until then I'm likely to stick with the list as is, though I'm unlikely to be playing it much. Other fish to fry and all that...
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#103 Post by Elithmar »

SpellArcher wrote:On balance this is something I might well consider when the new book arrives, though obviously a lot of things will be changing then. Until then I'm likely to stick with the list as is, though I'm unlikely to be playing it much. Other fish to fry and all that...
Yeah, just stick with the chariot prince for now, SA. :lol:
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
finreir

#104 Post by finreir »

SpellArcher wrote:I did consider this a while ago...

The Knight Bus

I run a Chariot Prince, so the only character I might put in a cavalry unit is my BSB. As things stand he tends to sit in my Spear block. It's solid, he adds a bit of punch to the static CR but can be a bit underwhelming. A cavalry unit with him in does a sight more damage on the charge and he adds a crucial re-roll making such a unit grind better. You then have a choice between the Gem (for added magical fun) or a GW tank build (for added blood).

I try to keep an eye on other guys' play and I remember Csjarrat being happy with this set-up before. Seredain also favours it (the crunchy version) at lower points totals. I seem to remember Joey Boy running a Cav Prince list successfully but opining that two fighting characters were necessary to give the bus sufficient punch.

I also remember Simon Hyett running a BSB with DP's bus, the logic being that these give a bit more hittiness I guess. My problem is that no way do I have enough of my old-style cavalry to make a sizeable unit of DP's. I could scrape together the Helms if necessary.

What happens if I do this? It does tend to leave my Spears a little soft and upping these to 30 messes with my Core set-up, the Archers and LSG cannot be reduced and still do their jobs. My elites can cope with a remote BSB (having additional psychology protection) but the Spears in particular would miss him.

On balance this is something I might well consider when the new book arrives, though obviously a lot of things will be changing then. Until then I'm likely to stick with the list as is, though I'm unlikely to be playing it much. Other fish to fry and all that...
I know Simon so im sure he will not have a problem with me saying i dont like the cav bus at all. I genuinely believe it has a ratio of 2 bad matchups to every 1 good one. I am honestly confused how you play your lists Phil you must have a completely different style to me and I would suggest a different meta because with the amount of impact hits and warmachines i face the small blocks and characters you use would struggle to make it to turn 2 next time you are going to have a little tournie in London I would love to come down mate and see how its being played down their. Keep up with the good work with your list its like going back to the past and a far more fun way of playing warhammer than the current horde hammer I love it :D
Ian Sturgess playing high elves and wood elves since 1990 ish
Twitter @chaffmaster1
Csjarrat

#105 Post by Csjarrat »

SpellArcher wrote:I did consider this a while ago...

The Knight Bus

yeah i run mine purely as a magical backup and to add a few more attacks to my SH bus, i have a horrible habit of having my lvl4's detonate fairly early so i've appreciated the backup spells. iceshard seems to slip through defenses quite well and tends to swing combats too, so i really like the set up.
not tried a fighty a fighty mounted bsb, but could be fun. i know seredain has put up a lot of reports using that set up.

if you're going down the route of multi-charges, then having a bsb in a small cav unit isnt that bad tbh, you'll have the maneuverability to get into flanks and it'll add good CR. of course, LoS might become an issue if he's pretty exposed
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#106 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks guys.

Ian, the list Seredain runs has a lot of combat units, it's not just about the cav bus. He frequently runs the characters out and the Silver Helms are 192pts at the end of the day. Simon's list was Shooty Shadow Book as I recall and I think he had elite infantry too.

I guess we all build for our own metagame. It's true that I don't face a lot of war machines, it's moreDaemons and Dark Elves to be honest. But results are improving from crap to slightly above average so I'm happy enough for now.

Ol is likely to run a doubles event in November, if so I will be partnering Seredain with my Wood Elves! You and Ben should come down for it!

Funnily enough csjarrat I've been giving the back-up mage a lot of thought. Still not sure about it in this army but my re-vamped Wood Elves will definitely feature one, against received wisdom.

Characters in small cav units can work I suspect but you don't have much margin for error.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#107 Post by SpellArcher »

The Last Battle

Well it's been a while. The then new book came out and I couldn't make a list I was happy with. I have a lot of infantry models, not enough cav to put into Core and didn't rate the resulting set-ups. Cue a long break from High Elves and a sustained effort through two army books to make combined arms work with Wood Elves. Then probably my last 8th edition tournament arrived and I felt like a crack at the HE book, so...

Chariot Prince, GW, Reaver Bow, 4+ Ward Armour, Golden Crown, OTS, Shield, Lion Cloak
Archmage, Level 4, High Magic, 4+ Ward, Dispel Scroll, Fury Ring
BSB, HA, Anti-heroes, Merwyrm Shield, Ironcurse, Lion Cloak

25 Spears, FC, Gleaming Pennant
10 Archers, Musician
10 Sea Guard, Shields, Musician
5 Silver Helms, Std, Musician

19 Swordmasters, FC, World Dragon
5 Dragon Princes, Eternal Flame, Musician

2 x Eagle
2 x RBT
Frost Phoenix

2400 on the nose.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#108 Post by Elithmar »

Core looks pretty weak, but then there's the swordmasters with high magic which should be very strong and the phoenix. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this performed, since I never really put enough effort into trying the chariot prince and making him work.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#109 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks Eli.

Pretty much spot on, at least as far as my meta has been concerned. The Core isn't what I would choose freely and it impacts the rest of the army heavily. Most armies go for a Helm Bus, with perhaps MSU cav or Archer support. Shooty/magic lists often go Archers first, maybe backed up by cav. Spears I've really only seen in Justin Burgy-style lists with a PG-star and shooting. My hand was forced. The Archers and Helms are OK and generally useful. The LSG would be Archers if I had the models. The Spears are reasonable points denial and a second character bunker (after the Swordmasters) but no great shakes.

It goes deeper though. I want the option to attack at times. Lacking the Helm Bus means I need the Phoenix and the Dragon Princes, which take non-Core points. This compromises shooting because I can no longer afford 4 RBT, the Core helps a bit here. It also restricts magic, so I go with solo Archmage (Scroll necessary so no Book). At least this means any cast will buff Shield on the Swordmasters. The Prince gives Ld 10, his shooting is useful and he's another attacking option. I lack S7 for really tough stuff but no Helm Bus and a foot Anointed would mean a more defensive list. At least I have 4++ (often 3++) on each character and High Magic helps them. Anti-heroes means I can consider fighting stars.

The Main Event

So the list was written for Ill Blood 3 - Unbroken, a 32-player event near Waterloo in London. Pretty much uncomped. The last one in February had been a great experience, with a good mix of fluff and filth. The limited numbers made for a fairly airy playing hall (Dark Sphere games) and a generally civilized experience. Quite a mix of abilities as I will go into later. The weekend has just finished and I'll crack on with game one soon. Which the draw on Friday had revealed would be Ogres...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#110 Post by SpellArcher »

Game One - Ogre Kingdoms

Early Doors

Slaughtermaster, stuff
BSB, stuff
Firebelly, lvl2, scroll

8 Ironguts, FC
7 Ogres, FC

3 Mournfangs, Dragonhide, Musician
3 Mournfangs, Standard, Musician
3 Leadbelchers, Musician
3 Sabretusks

2 Ironblasters

I had this down as a -1, I'd have preferred my Wood Elves here. I believe Leadbelcher-heavy lists are generally more dangerous to elves than Mournfangs but my list here had plenty of infantry so things not so clear. I fancied my Swordmasters to beat any of his units, providing I could get the charge, so eagles would be important. Over time, my archery should whittle him down but much depended on what damage the Ironblasters could do.

My opponent sensibly put a lot of stuff in the centre, ready for a push. He had a Sabretusk and Ironblaster opposite my left. Then the Ogres with Firebelly. Next the Dragonhide Mournfangs and then the Ironguts with SM and BSB. More Mournfangs, Ironblaster and Leadbelchers opposite my right, with more Sabretusks. I had Dragon Princes on my left, then an Eagle. Next my Prince, Swordmasters (with foot characters) then Spears in the centre. Shooters centre-right, then Eagle, Phoenix and Silver Helms. I planned to shoot up one flank while pushing horses up the other and sitting in the centre, which would hopefully create an opening for the Swordmasters.

I made early inroads on the right. One Leadbelcher died and the unit Panicked but rallied on it's baseline. The Phoenix made it into a unit of Mournfangs and started to grind. On my left my general was blocked off by a Sabretusk but I got the Dragon Princes past the Ironblaster's charge arc and into combat next round, destroying it. My opponent came forwards in the centre so I dropped an eagle and advanced the Swordmasters. Only the Ogres could charge them and I fancied that one, even receiving. I got Hand of Glory off on the SM's, boosting their Movement to 7, making their charge threat very real.

Back on the right, the Leadbelchers returned but were charged and destroyed by the Silver Helms, who had been held up by a Sabretusk. The Phoenix finished off the Mournfangs but was then Ironblastered to death. Having disposed of the central eagle, my opponent advanced so the Swordmasters charged the Ogres, breaking them but Reforming to face the Mournfangs rather than pursue. I expected to get the Ogres with my cavalry next turn but time was called at this point.

10-10
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#111 Post by SpellArcher »

I felt I could have got more from this game. My opponent was a Skaven player but brought Ogres to play more quickly at tournament. The plan to get the Swordmasters in worked but we just ran out of time. The Phoenix also did his job, any game vs double cannon where he kills something worthwhile before dying is a good one. As said though, I didn't fancy this match-up, so a draw was fair enough I guess.

High Magic

I've missed it. Every game with the old book I caused a lot of trouble with it. Beasts with my Wood Elves is sturdy but unspectacular. Hand is a very flexible spell. Here the boost to M7 Swordmasters really put pressure on but of course it doubles as a shooting buff and again in combat. Unforging draws scrolls and I found Apotheosis very useful this tournament.

Shield of Saphery was really good at times but of course World Dragon takes over against magic attacks, more often than I'd realized. Some games my Archmage was more important defensively and in general I shied away from Convocation because blowing my only caster up looked disastrous. I only lost him once and that down to getting too fruity with the Swordmasters.
sparkytrypod

#112 Post by sparkytrypod »

Too fruity with the swordmasters :lol: :lol:
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#113 Post by SpellArcher »

Stay tuned for game 4 Sparky!

:)

'Urty Bits

Game Two - Orcs and Goblins

Black Orc Warboss, Standard Kit, Dragonhelm
Savage Great Shaman, Lvl4, Shrunken Head, Stuff
Savage BSB, Stuff
Goblin Big Boss, Wolf, Spear, Shield
Night Goblin Shaman, Lvl2, Scroll

25 Savage Big'Uns, AHW, FC
30 Night Goblin archers, 3 fanatics
5 Spider Riders, Short Bows

25 Black Orcs, FC
2 Spear Chuckers
30 Squig Herd

Rock Lobber
Doom Diver
2 x Mangler
Giant

So some decent stuff but not maxed out. +1 match-up I felt. My opponent put the Big Boss opposite my left. Then Black Orcs, Mangler, Savages (Orc characters), Night Goblins (with Shaman) in the middle. Next the Squig horde, the Giant, another Mangler and the Spiders. Artillery spread across the baseline. I had Dragon Princes leftmost, then Chariot Prince, Eagle. Phoenix then Swordmasters (foot characters) opposite his blocks and Spears in the centre. Shooters again held back on the right with an Eagle and Silver Helms far right.

My opponent came forward quickly on my right. I traded the Eagle for the Mangler but only managed a couple of wounds on the Giant. He needed an 8 to get into the LSG but failed and was then shot off. The Helms made a wide circuit to get behind his flank and the Spiders failed a Panic test and rallied. I used the second Eagle to trigger the fanatics, who milled around in front of his centre, while the Squigs failed Animosity and stayed put.

Foot of Gork did little to the World Dragon Swordmasters. However, it moved and stomped the Spears down to two models! In response, Unforging on the Great Shaman was scrolled. I shot off the second Mangler and the Doom Diver killed a Dragon Prince. I advanced cautiously with the Swordmasters, more aggressively with the DP's. The Phoenix made it into the Black Orcs. The first round I lost but held because I'd got the BSB just within 12". Round two I won by one and the Blorcs promptly failed re-rollable 9!

It was time to make hay and the Phoenix ran them down then got a bolt shooter next turn. I shot off the Big Boss and got my cavalry into two more war machines. Shooting took off half the Night Goblins, while one Spear somehow survived enemy fire. Time at that point.

14-6
Ladril Caledor

#114 Post by Ladril Caledor »

The Swordmaster high magic combo is awesome and seems to be performing well. No mention of the chariot prince in either game so far though, did he make a decent contribution?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#115 Post by SpellArcher »

Obviously the Black Orc thing was a lucky break which I was well placed to capitalise on. I wasn't quite sure about shoving the Swordmasters into the Savages and ran out of turns to organise support charges. Again, dealing with the Giant quickly was very helpful but I feel he was doomed anyway in the long run. My opponent badly needed to kill the last Spear to claw some points back and couldn't do it.

Chariot Prince

His default use Ladril, is to radiate Ld10, snipe stuff with Reaver Bow and not die. All of which he achieved each game. In game four he got a couple of good charges in. The first two games did not go to six turns, which limited charging opportunities. He was decent enough. One thing I noticed, compared to my WE's was not failing Ld tests. With both General and BSB fairly central, I hardly failed any all tournament.

This central positioning is a function of the chariot. Ideally you want him between the Swordmasters and the fast wing. That way he can charge in support of either. He can't March so shouldn't be deployed too far out. In game three the chariot was destroyed, so he hopped into a nearby unit of infantry, another reason for sticking reasonably close. That said, he is M9 Swiftstride, so once he gets into position he can cover a lot of ground, especially with Overruns (brilliant for multiple Impact Hits) and charging in successive phases.

Game four was interesting because the Other Trickster's Shard helped a lot against Phoenix Guard, the combo-charge I got with my Phoenix was almost the perfect way of dealing with them. Golden Crown saved him from a cannonball in game three. He was the target of magic more than once but as against shooting, the layers of protection offered by ablative chariot wounds and Ward saves kept him safe.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#116 Post by SpellArcher »

Chancing My Arm

Game Three - Dwarfs

Lord, Shieldbearers, Runes of Doom
BSB, Stuff
Runelord, Anvil
Runesmith, Stuff

40 Longbeards, FC
10 Quarrellers, Shields

21 Miners, FC
Cannon, Runes
Gyrocopter, Vanguard
Gyrocopter

Organ Gun, Runes

Dwarfs...ugh. It's a tactical challenge but not a fun one. That said, my opponent had an unusual list which I might be able to push against, depending. I hadn't faced them for a couple of years, so was a bit unsure how to deploy but fortunately they don't have a lot of drops. On the plus side the army was nicely painted (got my vote) and mostly composed of the great 6th edition range by Colin Dixon.

My opponent formed a firebase composed of the Organ Gun, Crossbows (Cannon behind) and Anvil opposite my centre-right (a river cut off the rest of the flank). The Longbeards and the other characters went down opposite my centre-left, so there was a gap in the middle. A Gryrocopter accompanied each force, while the Miners began off-table. The fact that he hadn't cornered suggested that horde was coming for me. I had dropped a couple of Eagles while he was deploying and the Helms went down far left, near a wood, as did the DP's. The LSG found themselves centre-left, opposite the Longbeards, as bait if I'm being honest. The RBT were also there as they were within range of the firebase but beyond the Organ gun's reach. The Spears were fairly central, Chariot Prince to their right, Archers far right. The Phoenix sat in front of the Spears but behind a wall.

The Swordmasters were deployed centre-right, on the 12" line. I was gambling that the Organ Gun would be runed up and so fall foul of World Dragon. The foot characters went in the Spears this time. While they would certainly have strengthened the Swordmasters, I feared my opponent would simply turn his big block and come at them. I'd probably get the firebase but lose my characters in the process. Instead, I gambled just the Swordmasters. If I lost just them in exchange for the firebase and my RBT shooting down the Gyros, I would come out ahead.

My opponent Vanguarded his big unit straight forwards, which augered well, though not for the poor LSG. He won first turn, which left them just 6" away. The supporting Gyro killed three with steam. I bit the bullet and moved them to within an inch, to slow him down. The RBT put a wound on the Gyro, while my cavalry made a wide circuit of the wood. I turned my centre and moved it to the right. The Phoenix and Swordmasters then marched forwards. My opponent had to kill the bird quickly and he did so. The Swordmasters took steam and crossbow damage but ground on. They charged the second Gyro, which fled.

The Miners came on my left, again a good thing. I blocked them off with an eagle, they failed to kill it and it fled, rallying next turn. The Longbeards ate the LSG and Overran, just short of the RBT, which managed to shoot off the Gyro. The chariot was destroyed by Organ fire but the Prince joined his lieutenants in the Spears, who marched resolutely to the right! The Swordmasters were taking heavy casualties but finally made it into the Crossbows. Thanks to parries etc these held, passing their Break test.

My opponent was now after easy points and turned his blocks on the RBT. I shot down the second Gyro and used up the eagles to stall him after he killed my machines. The Swordmasters wiped out the Crossbows, reformed and took out the Organ gun. A brief scare from grapeshot proved unfounded and the cannon was next to go. I had just their three command models left.

10-10
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#117 Post by SpellArcher »

So despite my push for the firebase it was a draw, much as if we had both cornered! TBH I feel I made the right call as that horde was coming forwards and I didn't fancy my chances of taking it, even with World Dragon. Things could have got complicated if the Miners had come on behind my right but they would have risked getting isolated and destroyed. A delicate balance.

Swordmasters

For my old book list, this unit was usually critical. The games I won were more or less down to getting them into the right combats. I wouldn't trust it in the current meta (only 14-strong) but the new, larger, magic-buffed version is similarly crucial to success. In game one they made the opening but I didn't have time to exploit. Game two was down to the Phoenix, who shoulders some of the load in the same way that the Lions did in my old list. A lot rode on the SM's performance in the Sunday games too, as will be revealed.

But here, against Dwarfs, their push on the firebase was critical and only they could have pulled it off. Of course World Dragon was essential. Over these five games I really came to appreciate just what a game-changer this banner is, Shield of Saphery notwithstanding. From laughing off Foot of Gork, to walking through Organ fire, to neutering ferocious close combat attacks. Without this flag and the massed S5 hits, I believe the list would have struggled terribly.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#118 Post by SpellArcher »

Kinslaying

Game Four - High Elves

Teclis
BSB, DA, 4++
Mage, Light
Mage, Light

18 Archers, FC
9 Silver Helms, FC
5 Reavers, Spear and Bow
5 Reavers, Spear

23 White Lions, FC, World Dragon
17 Phoenix Guard, FC

2 RBT
Frost Phoenix

So Teclis. My army had an edge in the shooting and combat phases but...Teclis. This match-up is a -1 I feel because if I don't get into the Lions quickly Teclis will blow me away. The Swordmasters have the beating of them if they can get in relatively unscathed though and World Dragon is obviously very helpful. Unfortunately, he brought Dwellers. This was the only game where I selected Convocation, usually five-dicing with your only wizard is a risky move. Here though, I felt the risk was justified as an in-play Convocation could suck out power dice in my opponent's phase. I won the roll-off for sides and swapped us over as there was a nice building to the left of one deployment zone.

My opponent put one unit of Reavers on my far left. Then the Phoenix, Archers, RBT, PG (one Mage). Other characters were in the Lions who went down opposite my centre-right. Then Helms, RBT, Reavers. My archers deployed in the building, on my left. Then Eagle, both RBT (good fire lanes and especially in range of his Archers but couldn't be shot by them). Spears central, then Chariot Prince, then Swordmasters, on the 12" line, opposite the Lions. Next the Phoenix, another Eagle, Dragon Princes (opposite his Helms), LSG, Helms.

Vanguarding forwards, Reavers galloped down my left and around the building, one was killed by it's occupants. The Phoenix flew forwards, threatening both the house and any of my units advancing into the centre. His infantry edged forwards, while cavalry advanced on my right. I pushed the Swordmasters into long charge range and flew my Phoenix to the centre, to counter his. An eagle blocked his Helms and the DP's took advantage to safely approach. The LSG forced a Panic test on the Reavers, who held. My own Helms advanced, threatening long charges on his cavalry and RBT. Teclis rolled up a decent phase but lost dice to a Miscast on a Mage. Banishment only killed a single DP.

On my left, Reavers swept around the building and close to my RBT, my aim was good and they were shot off. The Phoenix, charged the building, breaking the Archers who fled the field. This was all good though as the Phoenix would now take two turns to reach the real action. The other Reavers outflanked the LSG, who Swift Reformed. Silver Helms charged and killed my Eagle but were then charged and fled, failing to out run the DP's, while the Helms made it into his RBT. The Lions backed off and the SM's advanced cautiously, needlessly fearing a combo-charge, a major mistake. Another big phase saw Dwellers scrolled and 5 DD fail to stop a 3 PD Pit, which then scattered harmlessly.

The Phoenix now turned to threaten my centre. My own bird combo-charged the PG, together with the Prince. The Swordmasters pushed forwards and Convocation went off on the Lions, killing four. The Helms killed the RBT then passed Panic caused by the other one. Reavers charged the LSG, who held on Steadfast. Another big phase saw Banishment destroy the DP's and a five-diced Dwellers beat my six DD. Luckily both characters survived but I lost all except five Swordmasters. Teclis then dispelled Convocation.

The Phoenix went into the flank of my Spears. I then charged the Swordmasters into the PG combat, another serious error, despite the destruction of the PG. The LSG wiped out the Reavers and reformed, while the Helms failed a charge on the second RBT and were shot off. The Lions charged the depleted SM's and I failed to stop Speed of Light, which saw all killed except the Archmage, who somehow escaped pursuit.

More decisive charges went in. My Phoenix took off the Archers, while the Prince destroyed the RBT. The Lions caught my Archmage and Reformed. His Phoenix ground the Spears down but was taking wounds. His next turn saw Banishment destroy the chariot, the Prince lost a wound. I charged the remaining LSG into the rear of the Lions but he rolled well and took them off.

Finally Teclis rolled low for Winds. The Phoenix killed the last of the Spears but was promptly shot dead by RBT. The carnage was complete.

8-12
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#119 Post by SpellArcher »

So the first loss. I quite fancied this one early on as I could see I was getting into a good few soft parts and dealing with Teclis OK. However, I underestimated the urgency of getting the Swordmasters into the Lions and they paid for it big time. Sure I was unlucky with dispelling but it should not have come down to that. Given that I'd advanced too slowly, I should then have cut and run with the SM's, the Phoenix and Prince had the PG over a barrel already. Apart from that I played OK, I made better use of shooting than my opponent and deployed well. He confided that he was happy not to be playing HE's in his last game, having faced the tournament's only other ones in his previous game! Sadly though, he then ran into some Ogres who stomped him 20-0.

The Phoenix

After the Swordmasters, the second key element. The generally high opinion of this guy was borne out in my games. Game one he got cannoned but killed some Mournfangs first. Game two he made the key breakthrough. Game three he was shot off, had he survived he'd have won it for me. This game he destroyed the Archers and (with the Prince's help) the Phoenix Guard. He performed well in the last game.

Basically the flight gave him the reach to get into the enemy and grind them down. With T6, Ward and Blizzard Aura, cannonballs were the only things that could touch him. Losing a combat by one or two was not a problem. I still dislike the vulnerability to cannon but this army really needed the fast threat he provided. It's worthy of note that my list here was pretty similar in models used to my old book roster, except for adding the Phoenix! Such was the reduction in points costs between the two.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#120 Post by SpellArcher »

Bad Omens

Game Five - Daemons

Lord of Change, Level 3, Eternal Blade
Daemon Prince, Level 3 Slaanesh, Wings, Chaos Armour
Herald, Level 1 Shadow, Sword of Might

18 Daemonettes, FC
10 Horrors
10 Horrors
10 Horrors

6 Beasts
Beast
5 Furies
5 Furies

Skillcannon

I feel this is about par. A second cannon, a Plaguebearer block or more Beasts and it would go to a -1. Most of what he had could be shot and I don't rate the Daemon Prince. That said the Lord of Change is dangerous in combat and the magic is strong. I had actually played my opponent in the last game at London's Burning and won 20-0 with my Wood Elves! So he would clearly be out for revenge.

The single Beast went down opposite my left, with the Horrors behind and the other Beasts next, then Furies. More Horrors rather lonely in the centre then another gap to a strong wing opposite my right, behind a low hill. This had more Horrors, Furies, Daemonettes (Herald), Daemon Prince, LoC and cannon. I had Helms far left overlapping, then LSG, Dragon Princes and an Eagle. Next the Swordmasters on the 12" line opposite the Beasts. These had gone down straight after their target, no messing around. Next Chariot Prince, Spears, both RBT on the baseline, Archers, Eagle. The Phoenix far right behind a wall.

The Helms began a wide outflanking move. The (Flaming) DP's were blocked off by the solo Beast and charged it. Furies slowed the Swordmasters down as the Beasts tried to avoid a straight fight but this resulted in clipped contact. Next turn the Helms hit the Horrors but were unluckily ground down. The DP's killed the Beast but were then blasted off by Gateway. Slowly though, the Swordmasters chewed through their foe, a belated revenge for all the grief Beasts of Nurgle have caused me in the past!

On the right I got an early break when Reign of Chaos ate the cannon and the Phoenix took full advantage to charge the advancing Daemonettes. The Daemon Prince charged the Archers, who fled the field. I now mistakenly shot him with bolts, leaving the Furies free to charge my RBT. I did though, move the Eagle safely out of harm's way but kept him close enough to intervene if necessary.

The DP now charged the Phoenix but couldn't wound and I passed the Break test. The Furies ate the first RBT but lost models, then Overran into the other. I now spotted an opening and charged the Eagle into the flank of the Daemonettes. The Phoenix killed several and the Eagle added another 3 CR (charge, flank, one kill). Ironically this hardly bothered the Steadfast Daemonettes but was catastrophic for the DP, who poofed.

From a 50-50 position I was now well on top and things got better when the second RBT crew destroyed the Furies and started to shoot off the Horrors. My opponent pretty much only had magic left but Gateway was scrolled and LSG archery finished the Horrors. The Lord of Change killed the RBT but found himself staring down half the High Elf army.

18-2

"This guy" said my foe to his watching friend, "is a bad omen."