The army of Spires; assembly time

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

korhian the 28th

Re: Rods red and White HE- log

#31 Post by korhian the 28th »

what do you think about this:

it is dark grey, if you want them this colour here is the Stage-by-stage painting:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... eMode=true
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36389url]high elves and skaven painting log[/url] updated 14-1-2012

'sir we're surrounded'
"right now we can attack in any direction"
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#32 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

My Reavers are dark Grey and so is some of the command group for my Silver Helms, it's a good colour. Your highlighting looks good.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
korhian the 28th

#33 Post by korhian the 28th »

Tiralya wrote: it's a good colour. Your highlighting looks good.
ehhhh it is a good colour yeah but GW's highlighting looks good :wink:
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36389url]high elves and skaven painting log[/url] updated 14-1-2012

'sir we're surrounded'
"right now we can attack in any direction"
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#34 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

=P Teach me for just looking at the picture and not reading
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#35 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Got any updates to your Army Rod..?

Show me I say, Show Meee..!!!
:D
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#36 Post by Prince of Spires »

Well.....

To be honest, progress has been a bit slow (you wouldn't have guessed right). Something with work and real life etc. I almost have a DP finished. I'll post him up for comments once he's done.

Also, at the moment, my secret santa is given priority. Silly, I know, but that's just me ;) That is also getting along nicely. I'll post up pics of that once my secret santa has received it etc.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#37 Post by Prince of Spires »

finaly time for an update. It's been over a year since I managed to finish something for my army. Something to do with real life and secret santa taking all of my time.

Not yet a complete unit, but a sneak preview of what is to come. Number 1 of the long awaited DPs. I like how he turned out.
other side

Just 9 left to do, including command. Let me know what you think (any good advice can still be taken on board for the next models).

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#38 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I thought the dragon armour on the horse looked a bit dark but then the way you've made it lighter as it gets to the edges looks awesome, the scale mail barding on the other hand looks like it could used some red highlights. The white is awesome and the way the grey of the horse contrasts with everything is good. Good choice in colours there Rod.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#39 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm glad you like it. Hopefully the rest of the unit doesn't take as long as he did.

I can see the point about the barding needing an extra highlight. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm wondering, would making the "wings" on the helmet of both the rider and horse a cooler color work? Something silvery/metalic instead of the red it is now.

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#40 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A good question, it's worth trying out.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#41 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

I just realised you updated this.. #-o
The DP looks great, I really like the highlighting on the Horsey barding too. It'sgreat to see a DP that is gold, it suits their status says I.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#42 Post by Prince of Spires »

I was already wondering when you'd show up here... :P

Thanks for the comment. I agree that DPs need some gold accents in them. I think red, gold and black work well together as colors. And they match DPs who come with images of wealth, grandeur, snobism (is that a word?), volcanos and blacksmiths. This image helped me choose the color scheme.

The tricky part now becomes remembering what I did where and replicate it on the other models.

Rod

Check out my plog

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#43 Post by Prince of Spires »

To keep myself motivated, to keep an overview of all the models I have lying around and because I promised Tiralya, I've decided to create (and keep updated) a list of my painting progress. I'll also try my hand at the painting pledge, trying to paint more then I buy in 2012. I'll cheat a bit and start counting now. With only 2 weeks left, it shouldn't make to big a difference.

Where they are not the current version, I'll try to add an identifier to the model.
Edit: updated the list: 31-01-2013
index:
- finished
- asembled/in progress
- just owned

Characters
- Mage (elemental)
- Dragon mage
- Mounted BSB (plastic prince / bsb kit)
- GW noble (plastic prince / bsb kit)
- eagle mounted prince / bsb (secret santa)
- Caradryan (metal)
- Eltharion on Stormwing
- Dragon (half metal)
- Mage (IOB)
- Griffon (IOB)

Core
- 16 archers, FC
- 16 spearmen, FC
- 16 spearmen
- 8 archers (metal)
- 8 archers (plastic monopose)
- 8 spearmen (plastic monopose)
- 10 LSG (Island of Blood)
- 20 LSG (metal)

Special
- 10 SM, FC (latest metal)
- 10 WL, FC (latest metal)
- 5 SW, champ (latest metal)
- 1 Lion chariot
- 1 Tyranoc chariot
- 10 DPs, FC (latest metal)
- 2 SW, (previous metal)
- 5 SM (metal)
- 5 WL (metal)
- 26 PG, FC (metal)
- 10 SM (IOB)
- 5 Elyrian Reavers (IOB)
- 8 ER, FC (metal)

Rare
- RBT
- RBT
- RBT (last metal version)
- 2* GE
- 27 Maiden Guard, 2* fc

By my count 242 models, 78 done, 42 in progress and 122 left to go.

Rod

Check out my plog

Jimmy
Centurion

#44 Post by Jimmy »

That's a decent list Rod but don't despair, in the last few months I've painted well over 100 models to get my 8k worth of models done and if I can do it between jobs and kids then its a pretty good goal for anyone.

Just keep it changing, paint core and then something else for a bit then reward yourself with a character.

I'm looking forward to seeing more green in the list!

Good luck.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#45 Post by Prince of Spires »

I must admit that I was a bit shocked to find out that I own 242 models. That's a lot more then I was expecting. But I'm not despairing. I've found that steady progress works best for me, doing a bit each day. My aim at the moment is to paint more then I buy. I should be able to manage that I think, since I have most things I want already :)

I'll see if I can add up the points if I have some quiet time at work. Curious to see what it amounts to.

Rod

Check out my plog

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#46 Post by Prince of Spires »

Another update to this fast moving Plog. For the June painting challenge I finished a swamp terrain piece. Lots of fun to do realy. A few pictures from different angles.

and one for scale purposes

In other painting news, the DPs are still in progress. The horses are almost done, but I find them very boring to do. So progress is slow. In the mean time, I started on some old plastic archers and spearmen (8 of each). Assembled and undercoated and ready to paint.

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#47 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Nice work Rod, I like the plant life.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#48 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks. The plantlife is an old doormat I cut up. Works remarkably well...

Rod

Check out my plog

Æsir

#49 Post by Æsir »

rdghuizing wrote:Thanks. The plantlife is an old doormat I cut up. Works remarkably well...

Rod
That was a brilliant idea, turned out really well for you.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Rods red and White HE- log, gaming table advise wanted

#50 Post by Prince of Spires »

Æsir wrote:
rdghuizing wrote:Thanks. The plantlife is an old doormat I cut up. Works remarkably well...
That was a brilliant idea, turned out really well for you.
Thanks, it wasn't my own idea though. I think I got it from a GW publication...

A question for the general Ulthuan populace. I'm planning to build my own Warhammer games table. The idea is to creat a big centre table of 120 by 120 cm (roughly 4' by 4'), and then two pannels on either side of 60cm wide. To be able to create a table 6' and 8' long. This should suffice for most gaming purposes I can think of.

Now, any advise would be welcome here. But the main issues I'm wondering about is height and what the best way of making the side boards is. What is the ideal height for a gaming table? It should be a table that is mainly used to game standing up I think. Perhaps with a few bar stools to give some sitting options.

And as I said, what is the best idea to make the sides of the table? The table will mainly be made out of wood (= cheap and easy to work with).

As I said, all suggestions welcome.

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#51 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The table is for you, so I suggest about waist height. that way it limits the amount of bending you have to do.
My table won't have folding parts, it's going to be 2400x1200 at the top, but you can take the top off and play inside the table which will be 1800x1200.
It'll be less mobile and take up more room, but no moving parts means less points of failure, and no complicated legs or hinges ^_^
Aicanor
Rainbows

#52 Post by Aicanor »

The terrain looks great. I will have to make something similar. :D
The easiest way to make the table work as gaming would probably be something like this: http://www.ikea.com/cz/cs/catalog/products/40116051/. I never made a table, so I don't know how difficult it would really be.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#53 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aicanor wrote:The terrain looks great. I will have to make something similar.
Go for it I would say. I love terrain making (except for trees for some reason, they're boring...). It's relatively fast (for me, especially compared to painting miniatures) and you can realy just put all your creativity in it. And I enjoy trying to find all sorts of interesting bits and pieces to use when making terrain. You can use almost anything for something

The IKEA table you posted is more or less what I have in mind. I've never made a table either. But how hard can it be, right? ;) A visit to a hardware store supplied me with my "IKEA bits and pieces":
(small note, the two odd sized wood pieces in the back are just some random, left over wood pieces that have nothing to do with the table)

Now all that's left to do is put the thing together. It will be a bit bigger then the IKEA one of course. And slightly cheaper too (although the folding parts are quite expensive...). Shouldn't take too much time to end up with something that looks like a table. I'm hoping I'll be done wednesday. I'll keep you posted.

Rod

Check out my plog

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#54 Post by Prince of Spires »

Another update, and this time before my topic has disappeared of the first page. Whoot!

The table is finished. Except for painting the top that is. But that will have to wait until after my holiday, which starts tomorrow evening... The final design did change slightly from my original plan. I decided to go for a 4' by 4' table with 1 foldable extention piece instead of two. Reason being that the whole thing turned out a bit larger then expected. Or perhaps better, my room turned out smaller then expected... Still a 6' table should do the trick in almost all cases I think.

Picture time. First with the foldable part down.

And 1 with the complete table.

I'm happy with how it turned out. It worked better then expected. And the whole thing went together quite easily. It also feels solid enough. If anyone feels like dropping over to try it out, then you are very welcome. In 2 weeks time that is. Until then I'm off to foreign places (tomorrow evening)...

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#55 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Looks good Rod, I like the shelf underneath, a handy place to put terrain when not in use.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

The army of Spires, reinforcements

#56 Post by Prince of Spires »

Time for another timely update. I'll see about updating my list of stuff left to do from earlier in the thread.

Reinforcements have arived.
Still the shields left to do. But they have pretty intricate shields. And I just couldn't put myself to painting them last night.

And their friends:

The picture quality isn't the best out there. But for a phone, late at night I would say it's pretty decent.

Next project is underway. Another terrain piece. It's looking good so far. As for what models will be next, I'll have a think about it. Perhaps I'll go for my caradryan model. Nothing too big. I don't have a lot of time on my hands the next month. Big project comming up march first. I'll see if I can get pics of that here as well.

Comments as always are welcome.

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: The army of Spires, reinforcements

#57 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Awesome Rod, you still have a long way to go, but you'll get there eventually.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#58 Post by Elithmar »

The evil Spires' army grows...

That's some nice white. :)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#59 Post by Prince of Spires »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Awesome Rod, you still have a long way to go, but you'll get there eventually.
Just realised, just 1 more model and then I'll have as many models ready / in progress as I'll have unbuilt... Just a few more and I might actually be able to convince the misses to let me get some new stuff ;)
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:The evil Spires' army grows...
Ah, but Spires isn't evil. Far from it actually. He's just everything a HE should be: calculating, political, arogant, intelligent, planning ahead for the long run. And not to forget rich and powerfull of course.

Easiest proof of him not being evil is that otherwise the evil side would have won. Long time ago... ;)

You're just buying into the Nagarathi propaganda too much.

Rod

Check out my plog

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#60 Post by Elithmar »

rdghuizing wrote:Ah, but Spires isn't evil. Far from it actually. He's just everything a HE should be: calculating, political, arogant, intelligent, planning ahead for the long run. And not to forget rich and powerfull of course.
Who says HE aren't evil?

Anyway, nice to see some progress being made with your army. That's a daunting number of models unassembled/unpainted. :shock:
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor