Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log (Female mage of Air 07/9/10)

#121 Post by Mireadur »

The current version of thqt guy isnt the same as in that photo. Similar however. It uses legs, hands and spear from the chariot kit, the head is frm a wood elf kit, current torso is from a silver helm. The rest are various bits all frm HE sprues. Hope it helped.
Malcontent

#122 Post by Malcontent »

Mireadur wrote:The current version of thqt guy isnt the same as in that photo. Similar however. It uses legs, hands and spear from the chariot kit, the head is frm a wood elf kit, current torso is from a silver helm. The rest are various bits all frm HE sprues. Hope it helped.
Cool, but now I'm curious, what changes have you made to it?
Mireadur

#123 Post by Mireadur »

ill be back home by friday, will take a pic then of the mini for you.
Mireadur

#124 Post by Mireadur »

Heres the model you asked for, sorry for the delay.

The torso and sword are from SH, cloak and shoulderpads from archers, head i dont remember (maybe Wood elves?), spear hands and legs from chariot kit and the cloth of the belt i dont have idea, but from HE for sure :)

On a different order of things, i arrived yesterday evening and found my bedroom all teared apart, they painted the room while i was out and broke the wardrobe, my painting lamp and several minis ( #-o) so it looks like i wont be able (still) to start work on the griffon lord :x, anyhow i will post some WIPs of the model by the end of the week for sure.. maybe even the finished model.
Baalan

#125 Post by Baalan »

head is from the HE Mage kit most likely
lovely kit-bashing knack you have (does this sound like Yoda?)

cheers
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
Baalan

#127 Post by Baalan »

well i see a flawless connection of the two in the waist. so if there is something awkward you see in real life (could be the angle of the pic...) then it is GW faulty idea of proportions

cheers
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
Mireadur

#128 Post by Mireadur »

So this is how the griffon lord is going so far. Im working now on the panther part of the griffon. I think i managed a good ''lion'' appearance so far and the next step, the leopard black spots, is going to be a risky one indeed as i have never tried such a thing before.

I guess since i already gave the lower part of the beast a white tone, all i can do is go ahead and go for leopard instead the simplier and easier ''lion'' look.

Elaithnir

Re: Just another HE Log (Prince on Griffon WIP1 29/9/10)

#129 Post by Elaithnir »

IIRC, the Eltharion masterclass on GWs website has nice tips on doing spots... Might help!
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log (Prince on Griffon WIP1 29/9/10)

#130 Post by Mireadur »

More WIPs!

I finished the griffon now! Just the rider remaining, but im painting it with such passion that i feel i can finish it tomorrow. Today at least, i pulled 6 hours of painting.

Im quite happy about the leopard side of the beast, and extremely satisfied with the claws and the head. The feathers im not sure if i need to apply a last light level to the dark ones. The whiteish feathers i think that look quite good.

Any thoughts on the dark feathers?
Schultz

Re: Just another HE Log (Prince on Griffon WIP2 30/9/10)

#131 Post by Schultz »

I think the Griffon is excellent. Keep as is.
Paulo Cavalcanti

#132 Post by Paulo Cavalcanti »

Hi there,

Your army is great. Gotta love your colour scheme, and the griffon is turning out fantastic.

Keep up the great work. =D>
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30465][b]Visit my Blog of Painted Miniatures:[/b][/url]
Meraklis

#133 Post by Meraklis »

beautiful griffon!
well done! whats next?
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
Mireadur

#134 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks for the comments guys! Unfortunately i already touched the griffon hehe, i wanted to give more contrast to hte dark feathers and applied a few black washes (i should have painted them black and from there paint 1 feather at a time i guess). So i have to give them a new light, will look better in the end i hope, so its no problem.

About whats next, well... The rider! :mrgreen:
ForlornHope

#135 Post by ForlornHope »

That griffon is incredible.
Elaithnir

#136 Post by Elaithnir »

Very nice. Glad you're passionate about it. I'm plowing my way through the same 5 Reavers still and I just can't seem to get motivated. I blame work! :P
Keep up the good work!
Baalan

#137 Post by Baalan »

really really like the way you did the feathered parts of the grif, mate! and since your skill far surpasses what i could ever do myself i would only take my comment with a pinch of salt, but here it is anyway: what about using some thined black wash on the leopard part to make it not stand out so much?

cheers
Mireadur

#138 Post by Mireadur »

Baalan wrote:really really like the way you did the feathered parts of the grif, mate! and since your skill far surpasses what i could ever do myself i would only take my comment with a pinch of salt, but here it is anyway: what about using some thined black wash on the leopard part to make it not stand out so much?
cheers
Ahh too brilliant colours on the leopard side right? haha, in truth this is because i tried something different this time. Ill explain myself: I normally always basecoat black and from there start painting and lightning, but this time i basecoated white and just painted black the rider (since most of it is armour) in an attempt to obtain a more brilliant appearance.. It seems it worked pretty well then!! :lol:

Im really happy about how the leopard side turned although the more i look at it the more i think i should have left it like a lion without any black dots at all.. The colours on the mane are really really crisp trust me on it (and i love it!).

About applying a black wash now, im my experience (ive tried it on other mini), the black wont just make the paint more dark but will also create stains and ruin what you are trying to darken (only works over dark colours, like precisely the dark feathers of the griffon, which you will see now how ended after the black wash and a new highlight).

Anyway heres the final griffon. I have left the wings unglued for transport purposes since the plug in system it uses works perfectly instead of magnets, doesnt it?

Im unsure at this point about giving a highlighting to the down side of the wings, it looks unfinished when it look it from very low angles but that shouldnt happen normally.. Anyway heres the new WIP:

Tomorrow will update with the finished model. Thanks for the comments, suggestions and watching!
Last edited by Mireadur on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baalan

#139 Post by Baalan »

thank you for your input mate! might just saved me from a future disaster :wink:

cheers
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log (Prince on Griffon Done! 02/10/10)

#140 Post by Mireadur »

Every army needs its Big Boss, a great and outstanding centerpiece able to draw all sights to it and provoce whispers in awe. My orcs and goblins had this:

My Slaneesh WoC had him..

Certainly good models from a different era and decently painted. But today, after almost 2 years of painting my beloved pansies and 18 hours of paintjob on this one.. I got my HE centerpiece: (heh im sorry for this crap but im really excited about the model).

Its really late (2.00AM here) and i still have to finish painting a small elven ruin that will go on the base. But i had to take the pics and share them :oops: Hope you guys like it, i will get new pics tomorrow anyway, with better light and the base finished.

Thanks GW for making such an amazing model, a true joy for the lovers of this hobby of you.
Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Baalan

#141 Post by Baalan »

flawless painting and very smooth blending...all in all, a true centrepiece indeed!
=D>

cheers
Elentriel

#142 Post by Elentriel »

Love the prince on the griffon, though I just want to know, what did you use to paint the griffon?
Mireadur

#143 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, the colours used for the griffon have been:

For the panther part:

-Foundation calthan brown, then vomit brown, golden yellow, bleached bone, white and black. Soft wash of gripphone sephia just in the areas which should be darker. For the footprints used elf flesh over the calthan brown basecoat.

For the feathers:

-Foundation charadon granite, dheneb stone, then washes of gripphone sephia for the light feathers and gripphone sephia then badab black for the dark feathers. For the lights used mix of charadon granite+astronomicon grey, then charadon+white. For the light feathers used white for the lights.

For the claws and beak:

-Foundation calthan brown, ianden darksun, then bleached bone to white.
-Foundation adeptus battlegrey and astronomicon grey.

A pic with the base finished (i just realized that a mix between camera flash and soft daylight isnt good for the pics).

Next is going to be another tiranoc chariot i believe.. Until then!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#144 Post by SpellArcher »

Paint job on the Orc is great, on the Griffon Rider superb, can see why you're so happy with it!

Prefer the Orc model though...
Bolt Thrower

#145 Post by Bolt Thrower »

=D> =D> =D>

Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Angel

#146 Post by Angel »

Looks lovely :D
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
Mireadur

#147 Post by Mireadur »

Im currently working on the dragon, i said it would be really back in the queue but i suddenly felt like finishing it!. The dragon is going to be red, the riders i really have no idea of how im going to do them, but will think about it once the dragon is finished. Anyway i will begin posting pics during what remains of this week, and hopefully have the dragon done by sunday (not the riders).
Aldir Gwenaeth

#148 Post by Aldir Gwenaeth »

Might I inquire what colors you used for your NMM? And exactly how you got the excelent effect on the blue clothes on the rider.

Lovely mini =D> =D>
[size=85][b][color=#800000]"Let him curse my name on these blood stained pages of misery. Let him call me a tyrant so cruel. Let him curse my name, but remember the truth."[/color][/b][/size]
Mireadur

#149 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, The NMM is semi NMM in truth... I use scorched brown, then shining gold, then devlan mud wash, then vomit brown, then start adding white to the vomit brown until pure white somewhere..

For the silver i mix silver with a little black 1st, then pure mithril silver, then black wash, then mix mithril silver with a little white.

For the clothes i used turquoise hawk in the cloak, 1st mixed with leviathan purple wash, then pure turquoise hawk, then adding more and more white until pure white.

The rest of the cloth is just lightning blue to white.

Hope it helped sir.
Aldir Gwenaeth

#150 Post by Aldir Gwenaeth »

Astonishing :o I never thought of using a combo of metal and NMM to such an effect...I most definetly will use this.

Thank you for your time :mrgreen:
[size=85][b][color=#800000]"Let him curse my name on these blood stained pages of misery. Let him call me a tyrant so cruel. Let him curse my name, but remember the truth."[/color][/b][/size]