8th ed 3000 pt

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

zuriel45

8th ed 3000 pt

#1 Post by zuriel45 »

Hey, so bored at work today i decided to create a 3000 point list for 8th. The point of this list is more goofy than anything else, i was attempting to see if i could fit 3 dragons into a list under the new rules. Meant to be a kind of Caledor themed mounted army and based on the possibility of Silver Helms being moved back to core. With that out of the way here's the list and my thoughts.

Lords-Four options here. All similar with different equipments.
Prince on Star dragon
Equiped with:
Vambraces of Defence, Armor of Caledor, Sword of might, additional weapon-621-20.7%
-or-
Vambraces of Defence, Armor of Caledor, GW-612-20.4%
-or-
Vambraces of Defence, Armor of Caledor, Lance-606-20.2%
-or-
Blade of Leaping Gold,Blade of Sea Gold-626-20.9%

Heroes-pretty set in stone-745-24.8%
Dragon Mage w/ Silver Wand, Guardian Phoenix-385
Dragon Mage w/ Talisman of Protection -360

Core-948-31.6%
Silver Helms x12 + FC-312

Special679-22.6%
Dragon Princex6+SB+Banner of Ellyroin-215
Dragon Princex6+SB-200
Ellyrion Reaversx6+Bows-132
Ellyrion Reaversx6+Bows-132

So the basic idea is to quickly cover the field and charge into enemy ranks. For the most part the dragons will be in CC, even with the mages on them. If the Sword of Rhuin is allowed to be taken as a double like a basic spell both mages will have that and the one with silver wand will probably pick up a easy cast magic missile to spam. The prince will likely take center and make his way into the enemy, how fast he charges up the middle depends on which build i take. The silver helms move in tandam with the dragon princes, so hopefully both charge on the same turn allowing them to work together to cut the enemy to peices, the Reavers move out front quickly to thin out ranks/warmachine hunt, and act as a supporting flankers.

The questions i have left is whether the list is actually any good, or if it is just not fun to play against. Also still not sure which prince build to take, i'm fond of the idea of the attack maxed prince charging into the enemy. Between the 8 S4 (no armor save) Prince attacks and 6 S7 attacks from the dragon anything in front of him should be fairly beat up. Though i guess a little more survivability might help. Also do you guys feel that Ellyrion Reavers detract from the Caledor theme? Not sure if i should use them or just add more Princes?

Anyway, what do you guys think?
Telabir

Re: 8th ed 3000 pt

#2 Post by Telabir »

Nice list. I love how we get to ignore all the percentage restrictions and get to keep all the expensive lords \:D/ .I'd go with bkade of leaping gold lord tbh. Are silver helms core now? Hope chaos and vampires have to do percentages, we might actually be the best race for heroes then :D .
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
CrazyCarl

#3 Post by CrazyCarl »

Since when are Silver Helms core?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34299]My army[/url]
Evenstine

#4 Post by Evenstine »

Its an assumption! Read the original post.
--- thankyou come again! ---
wamphyri101

#5 Post by wamphyri101 »

im going to try this Tomorrow against beastmen. WIll see how it goes:

High Elf Prince
Armour of Calador, Vambraces of defence, Great weapon, Star Dragon: 612pts

Lords: 612pts

Noble
Dragon Armour, enchanted shield, Battle Standard, Barded Elven Steed: 137pts
(in with phoenix guard)

Noble
Great Weapon, Dragon armour, Reaver bow: 139pts
(in sea guard)

Mage
Level 2, Dispel scroll, silver wand: 165pts

Heroes (4): 441 Points

10 Elven Archers: 110pts

10 Elven Archers: 110pts

10 Sea lothern guard, Shields: 130pts

28 Lothern Sea Guard, Full Command, Banner of eternal flame, shields: 400pts

Core (4): 750points

14 Sword masters of Hoeth
Full command: 240pts

14 White lions of Chrace

14 Phoenix Guard

Lion Chariot: 140pts

Lion Chariot: 140pts

Special (5): 1000points

Elven Repeater Bolt Thrower: 100pts

Elven Repeater Bolt Thrower: 100pts

Rare (2): 200 points
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Telabir

#6 Post by Telabir »

Good but where are the eagles? Dunno if they are still as good this edition, but I sure love my feathered friends.
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
zuriel45

#7 Post by zuriel45 »

yeah i need to go back and edit that list looks like silver helms are unlikely to be core. Probably put a couple medium blocks of spears in there to replace them. then turn the reavers into DPs and use the spears+DP as hammer anvil and the dragons to cause all kinds of random hell. I like the idea of heavy attacking prince, but can't have two magic weapons so need to retool him too. I'll post a revised list in a couple days for those of you interested. Its almost all theory, it'll be a long time before i even get a test version up and running (three dragons and 20+DP will run me a pretty penny) But if anyone has the models for a list like this run it and let me know how it turns out :) Thanks guys for the feedback.
Lord Anathir

#8 Post by Lord Anathir »

this isnt 6th edition anymore, cav have nothing on infantry now with stepping up and stubborn with more ranks.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
CrazyCarl

#9 Post by CrazyCarl »

Doesn't mean that Dragon Princes won't make good hammer units. They won't deny ranks unless they have their own, yes, but say you've got 25-30 guys going up against 25 spearmen, the flank charge from the Dragon Princes, combined with the Spears will keep your ranks either equal or higher than theirs so they won't have Steadfast.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34299]My army[/url]
zuriel45

#10 Post by zuriel45 »

CrazyCarl wrote:Doesn't mean that Dragon Princes won't make good hammer units. They won't deny ranks unless they have their own, yes, but say you've got 25-30 guys going up against 25 spearmen, the flank charge from the Dragon Princes, combined with the Spears will keep your ranks either equal or higher than theirs so they won't have Steadfast.
To my knowledge whichever unit has the most ranks has steadfast. So you don't just add the ranks you have. (ie, enemy infantry with 6 ranks, my spears with 5 and my dp with 2 results in steadfast for them, not me).The main way to deny a infantry block steadfast is to do enough casualties to reduce theirs below yours. So mainly i'd try to hit each block with enough force to shatter their numbers quickly.