How do you kill or stop a vampire lord?

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RGudmandsen

#1 Post by RGudmandsen »

wamphyri101

Re: How do you kill or stop a vampire lord?

#2 Post by wamphyri101 »

A: Charge a lion chariot into it can work (2 right in the front is better!) Impact hits mash the unit and 12 str 5 attacks should see off a vamp.

B: Lord on Stardragon

C: Him miscasting

D: Lord with white sword/talisman of loec

E: Mashing his unit alot so he loses by combat res

F: magic pot shots that target him
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
orka

#3 Post by orka »

wamphyri101 wrote:A: Charge a lion chariot into it can work (2 right in the front is better!) Impact hits mash the unit and 12 str 5 attacks should see off a vamp.
Vamp: yes
Necro: yes
Wounded Vamp lord: possibly
Healthy Vamp lord: no, his unit will suffer, but if he has Avatar of Death GW your chariots will go poof
wamphyri101 wrote:D: Lord with white sword/talisman of loec
Cadaverous Cuirass(especially on casters)
wamphyri101 wrote:E: Mashing his unit alot so he loses by combat res
Probably best, preferably when he has already lost some stuff.

G: avoid him
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#4 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Buffy.

Or a better option is to tray an avoid him - break him through combat res with a flanking unit. If you have to fight him, Prince with 2+ re-roll save and 4+ ward save.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Tethlis

#5 Post by Tethlis »

In my experience, if you're able to line up a favorable charge against an unprotected Vamp Lord, then you've already won the game anyway and you're just mopping up. Vamp Count players go to great lengths to protect their General, which includes sacrificing huge swathes of their army as necessary.
Warden of Tor Galadh
geoguswrek

#6 Post by geoguswrek »

here is a little trick that should just about work (in theory) if he has hatred..
step 1: dump an eagle 1 inch away from the lord's unit, take the charge (stand so he can't use van-hels to get out of the problem), he wins and overruns, have a unit of DP positioned to charge into the non-lorded flank, charge these in, you'll win the first round, he'll move the vamp over to kill the DP, stop all his magic, the VC will kill the DP, and overrun, have mutliple charges set up on the flank of the unit (the one that will now have no vamp on it), should be enough to burn the unit to the ground.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Minsc

#7 Post by Minsc »

A: Charge a lion chariot into it can work (2 right in the front is better!) Impact hits mash the unit and 12 str 5 attacks should see off a vamp.
Bad idéa tbh.
Appart from the fact that Vampire Lords easily can obtain S7 (wich will auto-pop the Lion Chariots), 12 S5 attacks at WS5 will on average hit 6, wound 3 with -2 save and most Vampire Lords 'will' have decent armoursave and/or ward/regen.
Vampire survives, heals himself with IoN in the next phase and proceeds to smash 2 lionchariots á 280 pts...ouch!
WarpPhoenix

#8 Post by WarpPhoenix »

I find if i drop a flames of the phoenix on his unit he'll probably jump ship, then just follow him around with it, making him more concerned about his saftey rather than actually doing things. If he's a dragonhoof man (Nightbus) then a spirit of the forge will scare him into the ground.

Also a kitted lord on a horse would probaly deal with him as long as you have a unit with him. A unit of 6 princes with a prince with 1+ rerollable and either a normal lance or a star lance, depeding on how much you've set your heart on a 4+ ward save.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

wamphyri101 wrote:C: Him miscasting
Pendant of Loec is worth a look.
NecronBob

#10 Post by NecronBob »

Tyrion is great at it if you are not adverse to special characters. Just make sure that his unit has fear and terror protection.
Visit my Warhammer Blog: [url=http://rotgutmanglers.blogspot.com/]From the Jaws of Victory[/url]
wamphyri101

#11 Post by wamphyri101 »

Yup but with the lion chariots you forget that its 8th ed soon

So no more s7 insta kill and the 2 riders have Str 6
geoguswrek

#12 Post by geoguswrek »

wait until 8th to give advice in 8th? there's no point telling someone how they MIGHT be able to deal with it next month, because vampire lords are likely to be equipped utterly differently with the new rules. The OP wasn't asking how he would do it in the next edition, but in this one, so restrict your advice to the correct rules system.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Minsc

#13 Post by Minsc »

Yup but with the lion chariots you forget that its 8th ed soon
So no more s7 insta kill and the 2 riders have Str 6
Last time I checked, it's 7th Ed. now, and the OP asked for advice on how to kill a VampLord in 7th Ed..
wamphyri101

#14 Post by wamphyri101 »

Well in stared of getting your knickers in a twist about that I suggest you put some advice rather than bitch about the post.
I mean did you really need to add you comment in too minsc since someone else had already said that or are you just one of these people that like piling onto someone?

I have used 2 lion chariots in 7th and have np against a vamp.

All depends on what said vamp is kitted out for
Minsc

#15 Post by Minsc »

Well in stared of getting your knickers in a twist about that I suggest you put some advice rather than bitch about the post.
You gave a poor advice, wich I pointed out. (I also pointed out 'why' it was a poor advice, I didn't simply say "bad advice!".)
Noticed that I didn't mention anything about your other advices because they were quite decent? (Appart from the "let him misscast" wich from a tactical PoV is just a stupid advice.)
I mean did you really need to add you comment in too minsc since someone else had already said that or are you just one of these people that like piling onto someone?
Well, since you were replying to me it wouldn't matter if 10 or 0 people would mention the fact that giving 8th Ed. advice to someone playing 7th Ed. is well...stupid - I would still reply in kind since as I already said: You replied to me.

Don't be so sensitive, if you can't stand that people critizise your posts on a internet-forum, maybe you should stop posting?

Edit:
I have used 2 lion chariots in 7th and have np against a vamp.
Good for you, but I'd guess that in this case the Vamp.Lord was either unprotected (low/no AS/wardsave) or you were extremely lucky while he was unlucky.
I managed to plungeroot a Vamp.Lord to death once, but since he had no protection what so ever (stupid choice from the VC player), he died to 6 S4 hits. Lucky rolling from my part, bad playing from his part.
But I would never suggest that plungerooting a lone Vamp.Lord is a good advice on how to kill one in the first place.
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#16 Post by Silver »

Now now, play nice you two. No need to push the issue.

Vampire Lords designed to kill will seek you out, Vampire Lords designed to spam spells will definitely attempt to stay out of reach the whole game and will be nearly immune to any form of ranged attack (3+ ward with a decent armor save).

You have to outthink the vampire player and be prepared for whatever combination of items he has ready.

Personally, I would never commit my Lord General in close combat unless I knew I could win, thus I would fool my opponent into thinking what my next move is and do something entirely different. Mine is on foot and has fly, so its easy to avoid stuff ;D
Kalandros Shadowsun