First attempt

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Hillbilly Carl

First attempt

#1 Post by Hillbilly Carl »

Hi there, I'm new here and am in the process of collecting the models to make an army. I started out fairly randomly, just picked up as many cheap models as I could get from local people selling their armies or extras but I'm at the point where I have to buy the rest of the models to make an actual army. I have very little experience with the high elf army so I'm just using my other armies as inspiration and adjusting it to fit what I think a high elf army should be. My other armies are Dwarfs, Bretonnians and Wood Elves.

Without further rambling, here's what I've come up with:

Lord:
Prince on Griffon, star lance, armour of caledor, talesman of saphery

Hero:
Lvl 2 mage w/ dispel scrolls

Core:
10 archers
10 archers

Special:
Lion Chariot
Lion Chariot
5 Dragon Princes w/ full command
11 white lions w/ full command

Rare:
Repeater bolt thrower
Repeater bolt thrower
Giant Eagle
Giant Eagle

2200 points
Models: 56
Power Dice: 6
Dispel Dice:4 (+4 scrolls)
Ranged shots: 20 bows, 2 bolt throwers
Units: 12

Is this going to work? I'm going for a symmetric look with the chariots, prince and dragon princes in the center, with the ranged units to their flanks and the white lions on the very outside. The center combat units head for the enemy's center while the missile units pour fire into the rest of the enemy army. The eagles silence the opposing guns (or keep them busy) and the white lions hold the flanks of the army and protect the missile units. I have a decent amount of magic but not really enough to rely on it to do anything significant. The prince will hit like a ton of bricks and should be able to hold his own against most enemy characters with the item that negates enemy magic weapons.

Looking forward to meeting people on this forum and learning how to use this new army!
Bolt Thrower

Re: First attempt

#2 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Welcome!

I actually quite like your list. Can put out some pain and has decent magic defense. I would say two things:

1) Fear and Terror may be tough on your white lion units with no psych protection. Maybe consider the lion banner or standard of balance (or both!).

2) I don't know what you are really going to gain from the command on the Dragon Princes. They run just as well without it. Take the command away and it will open up some points for an aforementioned banner or even to bulk up the white lion units a bit.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Sturen

#3 Post by Sturen »

Welcome to the forums! :)
Hillbilly Carl wrote:Without further rambling, here's what I've come up with:

Lord:
Prince on Griffon, star lance, armour of caledor, talesman of saphery

A griffon is an interesting choice. They are a lot more fragile than dragons, but I guess you don't have a dragon. To me they are more a hard hitting eagle than a monsterous fighter like a dragon. Be careful with it and you will have fun I'm sure. If your having real difficulties with it try a dragon or archmage, griffons are possibly one of our weakest lord choices.

Hero:

Just admit it, you wanted a caddy :P. With this you have two choices. Go pure defense, with a level one carrying a couple of scrolls, or take a magic phase, with seerstaff and a scroll on one Mage and silver wand and RoF on another. Then fit in the BoS and your ready to go.

Core:
10 archers
10 archers

Special:
Lion Chariot
Lion Chariot
5 Dragon Princes w/ full command

Firstly, this, possibly not intentionaly :P, is a Chrace themed list. Griffon, two units of WLs and 2 kitty carts, there is no doubt. Anyway :). The white lions need fear protection. Give one the lion banner and the other the standard of balance. Your DPs can carry the BoS if you choose a magic phase.

Rare:
Repeater bolt thrower
Repeater bolt thrower
Giant Eagle
Giant Eagle

2200 points
Models: 56
Power Dice: 6
Dispel Dice:4 (+4 scrolls)
Ranged shots: 20 bows, 2 bolt throwers
Units: 12

Is this going to work? I'm going for a symmetric look with the chariots, prince and dragon princes in the center, with the ranged units to their flanks and the white lions on the very outside. The center combat units head for the enemy's center while the missile units pour fire into the rest of the enemy army. The eagles silence the opposing guns (or keep them busy) and the white lions hold the flanks of the army and protect the missile units. I have a decent amount of magic but not really enough to rely on it to do anything significant. The prince will hit like a ton of bricks and should be able to hold his own against most enemy characters with the item that negates enemy magic weapons.

Looking forward to meeting people on this forum and learning how to use this new army!
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Hillbilly Carl

#4 Post by Hillbilly Carl »

Fair enough, good point on the dragon princes. I guess after playing bretonnians I've gotten used to having command on my knight units. It would be nice to have the points free for something else though.

Edit: as for my mages, I wasn't sure what I wanted for magic items so I tossed in the dispel scrolls as the safe choice. I think I'll probably try to make it a bit more offense-oriented as I get the feel for the army though. maybe even give one mage 2 power stones and the silver wand for one knock-out magic phase early on in the game.

I took the griffon for purely fun reasons. I like the idea of a griffon and it gives me a chance to try some converting since I don't really care for the high elf griffon model so I'll probably convert the generic empire one. I've built the character to be somewhat of a duellist, hunting down and killing combat characters with the aid of the talesman of saphery. Either that or I'll use him to hit the flanks of units.
dabber
Tactician

#5 Post by dabber »

If you aren't going to field a 4th character, the baby dragon is massively better than the griffon, for only 30 points. Call it an Ancient Griffon is you want. :)
Hillbilly Carl

#6 Post by Hillbilly Carl »

What if I dropped the 2 level 2 mages and tossed in a level 1 dragon mage with the extra spell wand, power stone and scroll? I'd probably have to drop an eagle to fit it but it would keep me with some magic power (2 spells, one with 3 dice and one with 2) and the dragon would take some of the shooting away from my griffon-lord. I like it a lot but for me its all just theory-hammer since I haven't played any games with the high elves yet.
Bolt Thrower

#7 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Hillbilly Carl wrote:and the dragon would take some of the shooting away from my griffon-lord.
You don't want the dragon mage to be targeted by shooting. The mage will die easily. I love the dragon mage but it is taking a long time to learn how best to maneuver him around to keep him safe.
Hillbilly Carl

#8 Post by Hillbilly Carl »

I think that by having 2 large terror-causing models they will give each other a measure of protection since any shooting will need to be divided between the two. Obviously I'm going to try to keep them both under cover or in combat as much as possible and if my eagle and bolt throwers can silence the guns early on then I should be ok.
Eltherion

#9 Post by Eltherion »

My Dragon Mage set up is as follows Lvl 2 Mage (Silver Wand=extra spell & dice), Guardian Phoenix (5+ Ward Save not ideal but gives him a save), and a scroll.

If staying with 2 Lvl 2's give 1 Silver Wand and scroll and the other Seer Staff & scroll (or power stone).

I run my Dragon princes usually with Lion Standard (Immune to Fear and Terror) these guys must get the charge off to do any good.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
Bolt Thrower

#10 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Eltherion wrote:My Dragon Mage set up is as follows Lvl 2 Mage (Silver Wand=extra spell & dice), Guardian Phoenix (5+ Ward Save not ideal but gives him a save), and a scroll.

If staying with 2 Lvl 2's give 1 Silver Wand and scroll and the other Seer Staff & scroll (or power stone).

I run my Dragon princes usually with Lion Standard (Immune to Fear and Terror) these guys must get the charge off to do any good.
Eltherion, you might want to check your dragon mage setup as I think it might be 5 points over the magic points limit. Silver wand = 10, Guardian Phoenix = 25?, Scroll = 20.
CrazyCarl

#11 Post by CrazyCarl »

Dragon Mage can't take Guardian Phoenix and a Scroll with the Silver Wand. When I use my Dragon Mage I usually just go deep and use Ring of Fury on it. Giving Gem of Courage to a Dragon Prince champion isn't too bad. I usually have my Lion Standard on White Lions or Spearmen.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34299]My army[/url]
Eltherion

#12 Post by Eltherion »

Oops you are right 5pts over with Guardian Phoenix, so drop the scroll.

A defensive set up on the Dragon Mage might be Silver Wand & Lore Masters Cloak (2+ Save for Dragon & Rider vs Magic).
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650