Griffon Prince weapons

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Red_Lep

Griffon Prince weapons

#1 Post by Red_Lep »

I'm stuck between two choices:

Bow of the Seafarer for flank shots

or

Blade of Leaping Gold for carving through infantry(obviously since its a griffon I'll be attacking a flank/weaker units)

Opinions?
Griffon Prince

Re: Griffon Prince weapons

#2 Post by Griffon Prince »

Well, I keep a Louisville Slugger under my bed and a....oh, whoops, sorry.

How about the Starlance if you want to carve through infantry? I'd go with that and the ToL. Getting in close means not having to worry about getting shot, and with a no armor save Griffon, you have a bullseye on your back.
Morathi and Tyrion sittin' in a tree...ewwwwwww
Rumor

#3 Post by Rumor »

DO NOT TAKE THE BLADE OF LEAPING GOLD!

Right...now we are past that hurdle...Reaver bow, Armour of Caledor, Halberd or Lance and Talisman of Loec for a nice cheap prince who can do a bit of everything, use that as a base and upgrade shooting/defense/melee items depending on your plans and style.
dabber
Tactician

#4 Post by dabber »

Red_Lep wrote:Blade of Leaping Gold for carving through infantry(obviously since its a griffon I'll be attacking a flank/weaker units)
Blade of Leaping Gold is always the wrong choice. Do the math, and the Sword of Might is basically as good against all but the suckiest targets. And why do you need help against the super wimpy targets?
Red_Lep

#5 Post by Red_Lep »

dabber wrote:And why do you need help against the super wimpy targets?
Not that I need the help, I just wanted a Griffon Prince. I've always been told that they are not good against the heavier troops and that they should be used to take out a flank. Since most flank units I've seen are usually less armored, I thought more attacks would be better than high strength. Life keeps getting in the way so I have very little actual experience, and since I've never had a game above 1000pts I've never used/seen the BoLG. I'm not trying to sound annoyed or anything, I just literally have no experience in the matter.
dabber
Tactician

#6 Post by dabber »

Sorry, I didn't mean that as refering to using the Prince on a Griffon in that manner. I mean the Prince with a lance on a Griffon should be enough to take out the weak targets already - he sure costs enough. Spending 60 pts more to make him better at that, even if the Blade of Leaping Gold was highly effective, does not seem like a good use of points.
Eluhan

#7 Post by Eluhan »

My Griffon Prince has a big f-off sword. The only way to go IMHO. To answer your question, with your two options, I therefore vote 1 for the blade. Bows are for cowards :lol:
Red_Lep

#8 Post by Red_Lep »

After making several lists, I decided against both. I didn't think the bow would get enough shots in since it was on a combat character. And decided that the blade would be fun at a higher points level(were I could have multiple Griffon Princes :lol: )

Hows this:

Prince- 402
~Helm of Fortune
~Sword of Might
~Dragon Armor
~Shield
~Griffon

Thanks for all the advice :)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

I get the feeling you need to use all the magic item allocation.

The good thing about a Bow is you are unlikely to be in combat most turns. The turn you set the charge up, the turn after you break and pursue the enemy etc. are turns where the Bow shines.
Eluhan

#10 Post by Eluhan »

Red_Lep wrote:
Hows this:

~Sword of Might
I approve. That's what I use mine as. Either that, or a Great Weapon. Everyone knows Griffons can die easier than dragons, so when they take down your griffon you can have S6, not S5.