prince on star dragon

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

swarmtime

prince on star dragon

#1 Post by swarmtime »

Hello all,

can people please suggest kit outs for prince on star dragon? I want a monster in close combat but can't figure out the best way to get a good armour save, ward save and weapon. I like the star lance but can't figure out how to get a good defence with it??

Any input would be helpful, i will use him to find juicy flanks all game.

Cheers.
Swarmtime
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: prince on star dragon

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

The most popular kit-out is Armour of Caledor, Vambraces, Halberd and an Enchanted Item to taste. The theory is that not all enemies will fold in a round and the protection and S5 are useful in extended combats.

If you want to put Star Lance in I'd consider Armour of Caledor (maybe Helm of Fortune), Guardian Phoenix, Talisman of Loec.
wamphyri101

#3 Post by wamphyri101 »

Some usual ones are:

Prince/Star Dragon
Armour of Calador, Vambraces of defense, Talisman of light

Prince/Star Dragon
Bow of the sea farer, Armour of Calador, Talisman of Leoc

Prince/Star Dragon
Reaver Bow, Dragon armour, Sheild, Vambraces of defense, lance/halberd

Prince/Star Dragon
Vambraces of defense, Sword of Might, Armour of calador

Prince/Star dragon
Dragon armour, Lance, Shield, Null stone
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Asur Ryan

#4 Post by Asur Ryan »

I haven't used the stardragon much so i may be missing something, but i don't see how it can be considered for an allcomers list without the amulet of fire - against armies with the ability to take double beast cowers (DoC, HE, maybe lizards? not sure who else) it will just end up sitting like a lemon for at least half the battle even with 2 caddies and you'll lose. Of course MR1 isn't even a reliable defence against this, making it a very risky option at all in my view. I'd probably go for

Star lance
Talisman of Loec
Termakador's Gauntlets
Amulet of Fire
Princess Amalthea's Superstars
Wins 8 / Draws 3 / Losses 2
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

He's still got to cast the spells, which is not guaranteed for a lvl2 on three dice, especially if you add in miscasts. Then you have three or four scrolls plus four dice vs three dice when you have to. If you have 2xLvl2 you can even spam Drain Magic to make things harder. I think the Vambraces are more important than the extra DD. Your build may be viable but I wouldn't trust the saves against anything powerful.
wamphyri101

#6 Post by wamphyri101 »

Whenever I take a SD lord I take 2 level 2 mages. 1 ring of fury/silver wand and other 2 scrolls. thats 4dd a turn, 2 scrolls and 2 shots of drain magic a turn also (sword masters take the banner of sorcerry also to make sure I can fire off a spell or 2 before drain magic)
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
swarmtime

#7 Post by swarmtime »

Thanks guys very helpful, i've decided to go with armour of caledor, vambraces of defence, sacred incense and great weapon. I'll be versing dark elves with him. This gives me a good re-rolled armour save and ward save and strength 6 always strikes first attacks as well as the minus 1 to shoot (helpful against pesky bolt throwers and repeater crosbows).

My plan is draw the biggest, scariest unit into phoenix guard with banner of balance and flank with dragon. They lose hatred and frenzy and ranks, so should go good. i have shadow warriors going after the bolt throwers, and lots of archers, bolt throwers, spearmen and another unit of phoenix guard as a defensive line with 2 mages.

Cheers for all the input, if you have anything to add please do, this is my first attempt to beat dark elves, have used lists with whatever i had on the day and got smashed a couple of times so now i'm going in prepared. Any additional ideas??
Bolt Thrower

#8 Post by Bolt Thrower »

swarmtime wrote:This gives me a good re-rolled armour save and ward save and strength 6 always strikes first attacks
Great weapon while mounted only gives +1 so your Prince's strength will only be 5. But I wouldn't worry too much about that as the dragon will be doing the heavy lifting for you.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Chracian

#9 Post by Chracian »

swarmtime wrote:They lose hatred and frenzy and ranks, so should go good.
Just be careful against black guard, as they have the warrior elite rule which means they re-roll missed hits even without hatred.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
pk-ng

#10 Post by pk-ng »

AoC = 25
VoD = 55
isn't Sacred Incense = 30?
that's 110 points. Your guy is illegal
To be honest Standard of Balance is kind of a waste on PGs. Probably better on either SMs or WLs.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
swarmtime

#11 Post by swarmtime »

oops, yep, illegal
mmmm, yes, forgot about only +1S for mounted, i'll use halberd then and the amulet of light, so he's cheaper and has magic attacks, i.e Malekith death.

see any other issues with him??

cheers
Eltherion

#12 Post by Eltherion »

Hi all I have been toying with a cavalry killer build.

The Star Dragon itself is good for negating Cavalry Armour saves.

Prince on the Dragon
Blade of Sea Gold (no Armour saves but only Str 4 hits)
Armour Caledor 2+ AS
Guardian Phoenix 5+ WS
Gem of Courage

This effectively gives 11 potentially cavalry killing attacks:4 with no AS and 7 at -4 AS.

The other advantage of this build is the Lord can still hurt Ethereals if desperate.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
pk-ng

#13 Post by pk-ng »

Why not get Star Lance?
+3 Str on the charge no AS allowed.
In subsequent rounds of combat you only lose the +3 str but you still get the no AS.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
swarmtime

#14 Post by swarmtime »

i don't want the star lance because
a) this is designed for versing dark elves so overkill
b) i need the points for defensive kit i.e he really needs that re-rollable armour save against repeater crossbows and needs the 4+ ward against everything else
c) star lance is USELESS in 2nd round of combat, and with their hatred, they have a good chance of keeping me around for that dreadfull fight

Against other armies like chaos i just wouldn't need the armour saves and so would take the star lance and vambraces of defence

cheers