Lothern Sea Guard 8th Ed

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

wamphyri101

Lothern Sea Guard 8th Ed

#1 Post by wamphyri101 »

I'm thinking theese guys could be a winner. Being able to shoot in 2 ranks + half your 3rd rank each turn, with the addition of a free reform after movement with a command group, makes them a great multi task unit. Thinking of taking 2 units of 30 to support my swordmasters with Normal archers/bolt throwers in support.

Just move forwards 5 inches a turn and shoot 25 shots each unit and when the enemy is near charge range reform into multi ranks.
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Griffon Prince

Re: Lothern Sea Guard 8th Ed

#2 Post by Griffon Prince »

I imagine most HE players will be fielding them en masse come 8th edition. I think I will still bring a block of spears to give me a few more bodies considering how combat will work.
Morathi and Tyrion sittin' in a tree...ewwwwwww
Bolt Thrower

#3 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Yes. The free reform is the icing on the cake.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Angel

#4 Post by Angel »

New Models
Fights in many ranks
Shoots in many ranks
Fills up core % easily
Magic Banner
New Models

Hello Lothern! ;)
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
Lord Anathir

#5 Post by Lord Anathir »

yes, supported by cheap nobles w/ great weapons.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Alathenar

#6 Post by Alathenar »

I'm really interested to see the new miniatures for them, it will help me finish my last batch of clanrats so i can start the shiny new HE miniatures!
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
Chracian

#7 Post by Chracian »

Considering how cheaply you can get units from skull pass/black reach on ebay, buying lots of LSG will also be one of the most inexpensive ways of fielding a HE army.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Aethyr

#8 Post by Aethyr »

Not to mention the rest of our goodies. I can see many a trade being done in the first few weeks of release. "You can have my skaven if i can have your elves".
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
wamphyri101

#9 Post by wamphyri101 »

already going to be doing a swap when the box set comes out! Then again it means more painting :(
WarpPhoenix

#10 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Yeah im also gonig to be doing a deal with a friend who is starting skaven when the box comes out. Apparently the box set is set to come out about a month later than the actual book, what a way to sell the big version of the book ;p
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
wamphyri101

#11 Post by wamphyri101 »

depends if they do a "battle for skull pass" version of the book
William KCT

#12 Post by William KCT »

If the rumored rules are true, Lothern Seaguard can fight frontally with at least 4 ranks (2 base, 1 spear, 1 High Elf citizen levy)
"it's only a game so enjoy"
Musashi

#13 Post by Musashi »

Lord Anathir wrote:yes, supported by cheap nobles w/ great weapons.

There's nothing really cheap in our list, though if you really do 25% purely spent on heroes and no slots, I'll see as to how many I can squeeze in.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Pskyrunner

#14 Post by Pskyrunner »

Its still just S3 attacks... and WS4. Of course better than other cores but i tend to compare everything to darkelves.
With them as opponents for example corsairs would win every matchup with 8th edition seaguard and their spearmen will most likely win too with hatred.

The S3 is also the negative point against W4 core units whether u land many hits through asf reroll or not. You just dont get enough wounds and there is still enemy armor saves.

Ok you can shoot and fight.. but its a short shooting 24" and fightning with S3 as mentioned above.. i doubt ill use em with much success. Still seaguard is at least playable now.. but dont expect to see seaguard that often. (not on tourneys at least, for fluffgaming its cool)

ps: to field them in units like 50.. they are way to expensive.. so 20-30 will be their numbers. everything else is lost points in my opinion.
Celoril Le'fer

#15 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

It would be really nice to see the Lotherners buffed a bit. All my spearelves have been modelled with a bow at hand as a Sea Guard army always has spoken to me.

Just can't wait 'til the starter set comes, if it truly is crammed with both pointy ears and long tails I'll be buying quite a few and ascend to the heavens of geeker joy!
[color=#FF4040]High Elves[/color]
[color=#800080]Skaven[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Vampire Counts[/color]
[color=#BF0040]Space[/color] [color=#FFBF00]Orks[/color]
[color=#008040]Rohan[/color]
[color=#008040]Dark[/color] [color=#FFBF00]Angels[/color]

Check out my [url=http://poisontail.wordpress.com/]hobby blog[/url]!
WarpPhoenix

#16 Post by WarpPhoenix »

I dont see how you think Corsairs will beat Seaguard in any kind of way. I would say that a unit of 28 would be the perfect size for seaguard. 7 wide and 4 deep giving the best frontage. This would give 14 shots (17-18 is salvo fire is right) which would pepper the crap out of corsairs and you wouldnt even need to engage them, they would have to come to you. And in combat? 28 attacks, 4s then 4s then a 5+ save, what about that isnt impressive? Should get about 6 wounds I believe. And the rumor for the next rank attacking is only having one attack so if thats true then the corsairs fail a little bit more thanks to having a forth less attacks!

All in all im looking foward to them being useful, and spears being their cheaper alternative. I mean the 28 units of seaguard isnt a cheap option, heading out at about 400 points though it will pad out the core requirement and be an amazing addition to a fighting army. A simple unit of archers will then bump you up to the 25% mark for 2k points.
Tethlis

#17 Post by Tethlis »

28 Seaguard, taking into account a round or two of shooting and stand-and-shoot, beat 28 Frenzied Corsairs in the first round of combat. With Frenzy gone, it's all downhill for the Corsairs from there. If the Corsairs don't break first round, they likely break second round. In that scenario, it's a turn or two of shooting + Stand and Shoot that makes the key difference, dropping the Corsair rank bonus and letting the Seaguard not only survive but win that first key round where the Corsairs are attacking with full bonuses.

+++Edit: Said Hatred, meant Frenzy. Clarified after geoguswrek's post.+++
Last edited by Tethlis on Fri May 28, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warden of Tor Galadh
geoguswrek

#18 Post by geoguswrek »

some mathematical support on the whole corsair front.

28 guard with warbanner vs 24 ish corsairs with frenzy banner (24 ish to take into account the losses to shooting), assuming the corsairs go 9 wide (why wouldn't you?)

the guard hit first with 21 attacks (no champion) doing about 3.5 wounds , the corsairs return the strike with a whopping 4.375 wounds (5.5 striking + 1 for champion), now the guard have an additional warbanner, rank (regardless of width of corsairs) and outnumber, making the corsairs down by 2 and a bit.

now the corsairs do have hatred in the second round, but the seaguard are still throwing 21 attacks so the 'sairs are down for a few rounds.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Tethlis

#19 Post by Tethlis »

I'll be curious to see if capturing banners still yields Victory Points, and I haven't heard anything on that front. With more regiments, more banners, and banners potentially having bonuses besides +1 CR, being able to chew up enemy Core choices and grab standards will be excellent.
Warden of Tor Galadh
Pskyrunner

#20 Post by Pskyrunner »

geoguswrek wrote:some mathematical support on the whole corsair front.

28 guard with warbanner vs 24 ish corsairs with frenzy banner (24 ish to take into account the losses to shooting), assuming the corsairs go 9 wide (why wouldn't you?)

the guard hit first with 21 attacks (no champion) doing about 3.5 wounds , the corsairs return the strike with a whopping 4.375 wounds (5.5 striking + 1 for champion), now the guard have an additional warbanner, rank (regardless of width of corsairs) and outnumber, making the corsairs down by 2 and a bit.

now the corsairs do have hatred in the second round, but the seaguard are still throwing 21 attacks so the 'sairs are down for a few rounds.

if seaguard is ranked as mentioned 4x7 they would have 28 attacks (1+2 rank+spearbonusrank+HEspecial rank, wihtout champ) (or am i wrong on this? ) means 14 hits and 7 wounds after corsairs armor save = 4,7 wounds

corsairs are ranked also 4x7 lets say, another handweapon (frenzy(banner) now being +1 attack all time, why not considering having max attack output) and frenzy, 1strank:21 attacks + 2ndrank:7 attacks = 21 hits with hatred = 10,5 wounds after guard armor saves = 5 wounds thats without cauldron of course, would be even more, we cant get more attacks on the guards except 10 wide or maybe new spell?

so corsairs and guards are even on wounds = same rank bonus, with the war banner we would win by 1 (2 if we had attacked) but next round they have more attacks than we have due to our last ranked being nerfed.. they still hit with 28 attacks..

if there is nothing wrong in this math corsairs are better.. they cost 2 points less, we have the bow ok.. thats good ability of course but why would i field a unit that can take down just DE spears. the guard unit would have to be really big to equal their S3, thats too expensive.

guard is a good overall unit now, but i rather field 2-3 unit of (long)bows and the rest is elite etc

EDIT: for fightning other T3 cores than elven ones, guards are a good unit and playable now.. i just compare to DE so much because i play them half my warhammer time.. the other half playing chaos, dwarfs and orks being T4.. its even worse i can think.
WarpPhoenix

#21 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Ok well think of how easily you generally lose a unit of archers to say... a flying unit in the flank, or anything of that description. Who is honestly going to take down a 28 model units of seaguard with ease unless they cost way more points than them? Those seaguard with thier massed attacks can pretty much kill anything that isnt a chaos warrior or has a consistant 2+ save and T4. This on its own is quite good but the problem with them currently is that we only need 2 core. Thus 2 archers will suffice.

The other problem is that you cant shoot in two ranks at the moment with them and you havnt got all the fancy new reform rules. All this combined just makes a block of seaguard +a unit of archers or spears (depending on your playstyle) the staple of a good list. It can hold the front line OR it can just sit back 10 wide with 8 on the back rank firing 25 shots a turn, anything that comes to challenge it wont do too well.