1500 list for tournament

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

CrazyCarl

1500 list for tournament

#1 Post by CrazyCarl »

Not sure which I want to play. We're doing an escalation league at the moment and we're up to 1500 pts. Last month I joked about playing a Dragon Mage list, but never did. This month I think I may, but I'm kind of hesitant because it's so topheavy. Here are my ideas for Dragon Mage lists.

General: Dragon Mage, lvl 2, silver wand, ring of fury: 435
Noble, BSB, dragon armor, shield, barded steed, radiant gem of hoeth, lance = 183
20 Spears, FC, lion banner = 230
15 Phoenix Guard, FC, Banner of Sorcery = 305
5 Dragon Princes, champ, helm of fortune = 195
1 RBT
1 Eagle
Total: 1498

I like the two infantry blocks in this one, but it just feels like it lacks hitting power, plus it has very few units which makes me sad. The BSB has the Gem so I can get an extra DD and the racial bonus because we usually have people playing light to medium magic for some reason. That could be a Star Lance though.

List two:
General: Dragon Mage, lvl 2, silver wand, ring of fury: 435
1 Mage, 2 Dispell Scroll = 140
10 Archers = 110
7 Swordmasters, champion, Talisman of Loec = 127
7 Swordmasters, Champion = 117 (the 2nd champion is so they don't know which unit may have Loec or not)
15 Phoenix Guard, SB, Banner of Sorcery = 287
5 Shadow Warriors = 80
2 RBT = 200
Total: 1496

Part of me likes this list better because I have a few more units to work with and Swordmasters are just a beating. Usually they're super weak to shooting, but my idea here is that I can either a) screen them with Shadow Warriors or b) the Dragon Mage will be a distraction for their shooting (not a screen, I do my best to keep it from being shot), so their attention will be divided between guys with big swords or a dragon. I wish I could fit a musician on those Phoenix Guards because they, at best, seem to draw combats a lot.

Last option is a less cheesy list, I think.

General: Noble, BES, DA, Enchanted Shield, Star Lance = 157
Mage, 2 Dispell Scroll = 140
Noble, BSB, Armor of Caledor, GW = 143
22 Spearmen, Musc, SB, Warbanner, 233 (I had 18 extra points so I tossed in the two extra spears)
5 Dragon Princes, SB, Banner of Elyrion: 185
5 Elyrian Reavers, Musician = 92
7 Swordmasters = 105
7 Swordmasters = 105
1 Lion Chariot = 140
2 RBT = 200

So, which should I play with what kinds of modifications?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34299]My army[/url]
Bolt Thrower

Re: 1500 list for tournament

#2 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Working off of list two, I have a couple suggestions. I think combining the sword masters into one unit of 14 will be more effective to withstanding a shooting onslaught even with screening. Plus, as you mentioned, you'll have a dragon flying around which most will be concerned about. Give them standard of balance and they won't run on you either.

Also, though I do like Phoenix Guard, I don't think they are doing much for you in this list. I would drop them and the Shadow Warriors for 2 units of Dragon Princes (one with the banner of sorcery). Some don't like putting the banner on the DP's, but I find it is usually ok if I use them as a second wave of the attack as opposed to running out there for combat right away.

The list would then look something like this:

Dragon Mage - Lvl 2, Silver Wand, Ring of Fury - 435
Mage - 2x Scroll - 140

10 Archers - 110

14 Sword Masters - Full Command, Standard of Balance, Talisman of Loec - 295
5 Dragon Princes - Banner of Sorcery - 220
5 Dragon Princes - 150

1 RBT - 100
1 Eagle - 50

Exactly 1500.

At this point level I really enjoy the Dragon Mage. Keep him out of shooting and you'll be golden. Use your level one for drain magic/shield of saphery every turn and you'll be in decent shape.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
CrazyCarl

#3 Post by CrazyCarl »

I like your idea, Bolt Thrower. I've used the 14 Swordmaster unit before in larger games and liked it a LOT. The immune to psych really helps for when they get shot up, and the extra bodies ensure they hit with a full 15 attacks. I'll give that a try. I'm ashamed to say I only have the models for one unit of Dragon Princes ( :( ), so what I may do is add a musician to the Princes and then sub the second unit of Princes for by beloved Lion Chariot (I have an unhealthy obsession with playing that thing). That leaves me with one big hitty block and two nice flank attackers. Oh, and a dragon.

When I put together the second Dragon Mage list I had forgotten we have two Warriors of Chaos players, so having the Eagle back in will be great.
Bolt Thrower

#4 Post by Bolt Thrower »

CrazyCarl wrote:I'm ashamed to say I only have the models for one unit of Dragon Princes ( :( ), so what I may do is add a musician to the Princes and then sub the second unit of Princes for by beloved Lion Chariot (I have an unhealthy obsession with playing that thing).
Don't be ashamed...I don't own any but just pretend my silver helms are DP's. :P And I hear you on the lion chariot, they are addicting to play. I think that is a great addition to the mix. Look forward to hearing how it goes!
CrazyCarl

#5 Post by CrazyCarl »

Bolt Thrower wrote:
CrazyCarl wrote:I'm ashamed to say I only have the models for one unit of Dragon Princes ( :( ), so what I may do is add a musician to the Princes and then sub the second unit of Princes for by beloved Lion Chariot (I have an unhealthy obsession with playing that thing).
Don't be ashamed...I don't own any but just pretend my silver helms are DP's. :P And I hear you on the lion chariot, they are addicting to play. I think that is a great addition to the mix. Look forward to hearing how it goes!
I do the same thing :P Here's hoping for plastics this summer. And I will try to do a battle report for the tournament as I got my camera working finally.
CrazyCarl

#6 Post by CrazyCarl »

Got in a game against a Demons list trying to prep for the same tournament. I scored a marginal victory after blowing up his general on turn 6. Turn one saw me obliterating his block of Daemonettes with a Herald in it. He was playing both Screamers and Flamers but didn't send both of them at the Dragon Mage. He tried to position the Screamers to get in, but I just blew them up. The Dragon Princes were really good as was the Lion Chariot. Overall I was quite happy with the list.
Bolt Thrower

#7 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Good to hear! A victory by any means is always sweet. Did the sword masters perform well?
CrazyCarl

#8 Post by CrazyCarl »

Sort of? Having Banner of Balance let them survive two turns of Flamer attacks then Talisman let the 4 (!) left kill off two Fleshhounds. I possibly made a bad play moving my mage into the line of fire to shoot off a Shield of Saphery on the Swordmasters (which ended up doing nothing ;p), but I was trying to save points by keeping the Swordmasters alive. But anyway, yes, they did very well thanks to having the extra bodies. The double threat of Swordmaster block + Dragon Mage did exactly what I hoped it would do and split up his shooting so he didn't take out either unit completely.