What Next?

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Malthaeres

What Next?

#1 Post by Malthaeres »

Hey all, I'm trying to put together a 1000 point army, and I'm essentially one unit, or one unit plus one hero, away from reaching that amount of points. I also want to say that my main opponent plays Greenskins and Beastmen, so specific tips on how to deal with pungent, brutish, screaming individuals will be much appreciated. Here's my army so far:

Mage, on foot (I'm also open to advice on best Lores of Magic to use)

16 Spearmen, Full Command (can be changed to Seaguard if necessary)

10 Archers, Musician (correct me if I'm wrong, but unit champions and SBs in archer units don't seem very useful)

5 Shadow Warriors, Champion

5 Ellyrian Reavers, Musician (unit size can be bumped up to 8 if necessary, again unit champions and SBs in fast cavalry units don't seem very useful)

Great Eagle (could be modelled to be a Noble's steed)

So, what next? What are your recommendations for a final unit or hero to give me a killer 1000 point force?

Thanks y'all :)
Sturen

Re: What Next?

#2 Post by Sturen »

Firstly, does your Mage have equipment, if so, what?

You need something with a punch. I would add some swordmasters. None of your units can deal much damage in CC so let your spears recieve the charge (courage of aenarion?) and hit the enemy in the flank with the swordmasters.

As I mentioned, High magic is a good all round lore. Otherwise I don't know really. Never faced orcs or beasts :P. Generally the good lores are fire, metal, beasts and death.
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
dabber
Tactician

#3 Post by dabber »

Pick the elite unit you like best and field that. Swordmasters, White Lions, Phoenix Guard, Dragon Princes. Phoenix Guard may be the worst choice, because you need at least 15 of them to be effective, and preferably 20.
Jonah_Dyke

#4 Post by Jonah_Dyke »

SM are a great choice with their higher strength with great weapons and 2 attacks. Other than that, DP are good, but twice the cost in points as well as dollars for the armour save. I find when SM get the Shield of Saphery on them, they stick decently. Good luck with the choice, even though it's never easy with Elves and their many Special options.
CrazyCarl

#5 Post by CrazyCarl »

A Noble with a Great Weapon and Armor of Caledor makes a great hitty unit with a decent armor save. For good measure you can also make him your Battle Standard Bearer, or not so that the Noble can be the general and you can take advantage of the 9 LD.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34299]My army[/url]
Chracian

#6 Post by Chracian »

Malthaeres wrote:Mage, on foot (I'm also open to advice on best Lores of Magic to use)

16 Spearmen, Full Command (can be changed to Seaguard if necessary)
If you can four more, a unit of 20 would be better. It's a pain they come in boxes of 16.
10 Archers, Musician (correct me if I'm wrong, but unit champions and SBs in archer units don't seem very useful)
Absolutley right, but remember you only need one core unit at 1k. Drop the musician if you're short of points; if they're running they might well run off the board first time.
5 Shadow Warriors, Champion
Don't need the champion, just call him a normal SW.
5 Ellyrian Reavers, Musician (unit size can be bumped up to 8 if necessary, again unit champions and SBs in fast cavalry units don't seem very useful)
5 is fine. Bows or spears or both?
Great Eagle (could be modelled to be a Noble's steed)
Excellent
So, what next? What are your recommendations for a final unit or hero to give me a killer 1000 point force?
You have no RBTs. Get one. Now.

What you have here is a lot of shooting and some magic. You could add a BSB with the reaver bow or ring of fury for more shooting/magic.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Malthaeres

#7 Post by Malthaeres »

Great advice, I have to say I was originally thinking of getting some SMs, but I've heard that initiative is going to be important in the next edition rulebook and High Elves might lose the Speed of Asuryan rule (anyone know anything about that by the way?), so I began to wonder if getting them was such a good idea.

The only reason I'm using Archers is because I had some leftover Glade Guard from a partially built up WElf force that I had been working on, and it seemed like a shame to waste them, so I'm just going to use them as Archers. Again, I've heard rumors about a change in army compositions, and that High Elves might lose their ability to only field 1 core unit in 1000 point armies...

My Ellyrian Reavers can be equipped with bows and spears, but I doubt they'll be doing much fighting, so having the spears seems like a bit of a waste...

I was planning on equipping my Mage with either an Annulian Crystal or a Sigil of Asuryan, plus a Silver Wand (so I can have a little magic offense and defense)

I will probably get a RBT and a hero, but I'm worried that my army will only be able to shoot well and won't manage in hand to hand combat. On the other hand, I could get some SMs (would a unit of 5 be enough, or should I get 10 to be on the safe side?)

Thanks again, you've all been really helpful :)
dabber
Tactician

#8 Post by dabber »

Malthaeres wrote:I've heard that ...
If you design your army around the rumors, no matter what you take, you'll end up wrong. :)
Kethnae

#9 Post by Kethnae »

Malthaeres wrote:Great advice, I have to say I was originally thinking of getting some SMs, but I've heard that initiative is going to be important in the next edition rulebook and High Elves might lose the Speed of Asuryan rule (anyone know anything about that by the way?), so I began to wonder if getting them was such a good idea.

The only reason I'm using Archers is because I had some leftover Glade Guard from a partially built up WElf force that I had been working on, and it seemed like a shame to waste them, so I'm just going to use them as Archers. Again, I've heard rumors about a change in army compositions, and that High Elves might lose their ability to only field 1 core unit in 1000 point armies...
What dabber said. Just build a good army for now and worry about 8th Edition when you've got the new rulebook in hand.

My Ellyrian Reavers can be equipped with bows and spears, but I doubt they'll be doing much fighting, so having the spears seems like a bit of a waste...
Depends. If you've got a warmachine crew camping on the back field the Spears can make killing the crew much quicker. It's better to kill 'em all before they even get to swing than to let them take a break test and maybe pass and stick around. If you catch a ranged unit on the flank with your Reavers the spears will help you rack up an extra kill or two, making it easier to win combat and making them more likely to break. But if you can only see yourself running around plinking people with arrows then by all means, trade them away.

I was planning on equipping my Mage with either an Annulian Crystal or a Sigil of Asuryan, plus a Silver Wand (so I can have a little magic offense and defense)
The wand, crystal and sigil are all Arcane items. Your mage is only allowed one so you'd have to choose.

I will probably get a RBT and a hero, but I'm worried that my army will only be able to shoot well and won't manage in hand to hand combat. On the other hand, I could get some SMs (would a unit of 5 be enough, or should I get 10 to be on the safe side?)
SMs are best at 7-14

Thanks again, you've all been really helpful :)
Malthaeres

#10 Post by Malthaeres »

The wand, crystal and sigil are all Arcane items. Your mage is only allowed one so you'd have to choose.
I thought Mages could have 50 points worth of any magic items, for instance, I was thinking of having:

Annulian Crystal (40pts) + Silver Wand (10pts) = 50 points

Are you sure a wizard can only have one arcane item?
Sturen

#11 Post by Sturen »

Yep, only one :(. Check page 121 in the BRB :).

Malthaeres

#12 Post by Malthaeres »

Damn, oh well, it's not too much of a problem....

Just one thing though, does this apply to normal heroes and another magic items? Or only wizards and arcane items?
Sturen

#13 Post by Sturen »

It does for some items, all the details are on pg121