2250 First list.

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

zuriel45

2250 First list.

#1 Post by zuriel45 »

Hey so this is really my first real list. I've only ever played a couple short games with my friend, and i'm just kinda creating a list i think would be fun/effective. The main goal of the list i have is a hammer and anvil type play. So far i have the units, though i'm not entirely sure what items to add to make it fully effective.

Heros
Dragon Mage lvl 2 -385
Mage w/ 2x Dispell scroll - 140
Noble BSB w/ shield & heavy armor - 116

Core
Archers x8 - 88
2x15 Spearelves + full command - 160x2 - 320

Special
15 Phoenix Guard + full command - 255
2x5 Dragon Princes 300
1 Lion Chariot - 140

Rare
Repeating Bolt Thrower x 2 - 100x2 - 200
Eaglex2 - 50x2 - 100

Total-2,044

It seems a basic Hammer and anvil to me, the Dragon Princes and Lion Chariot are the hammer with the spearelves and Phoenix guard acting as the anvil. Set up terrian as best i can to funnel them in and give elevation to the RBTs. Dragon mage is the general, using the dragon to cause terror so that enemy troops would flee into the anvil. Use the DPs and Lion Chariot to flank/rear charge once the spearelves and PGs have held the enemy frontline, use eagles to break the army up.

Does it seem good, or is this a heavily flawed list?
mmirch54

Re: 2250 First list.

#2 Post by mmirch54 »

First point to consider is that you have 200 points to play with... If it were me:

Heros
Dragon Mage lvl 2 -385
Dragon mage NEEDS Silver wand to be effective, and I like to give him either the Ring of Fury or Golden Crown, so he should be 435 points
Mage w/ 2x Dispell scroll - 140
I've never been a fan of the Scroll Caddy, and I think you can safely swap him for a level 4 Archmage w/ Seerstaff, Scroll, and possibly the ROFury if you don't take it on the DM
Noble BSB w/ shield & heavy armor - 116
Armor of Caledor, GW, and Guardian Phoenix would be good choices, but barring them, mount him on a Barded Steed for the better armor save

Core
Archers x8 - 88
These are a minimum US 10, and thus illegal, and with 2 units of spears, I'd just drop these
2x15 Spearelves + full command - 160x2 - 320
Drop the FC unless the BSB or AM will go into the units. If they're not going to be bunkers, swap Musician and Chump for more Spears. I like 18-24 w/ FC for bunkers, and one unit could benefit greatly from a Lion Standard

Special
15 Phoenix Guard + full command - 255
Adding a Banner of some sort in here could seriously increase effectiveness, Banner of Sorcery seems fun, but Balance or Warbanner would be good too.
2x5 Dragon Princes 300
Seems good, possibly one unit with Standard and Banner of Ellyrion
1 Lion Chariot - 140
Love this unit!

Rare
Repeating Bolt Thrower x 2 - 100x2 - 200
Eaglex2 - 50x2 - 100
Perfect, I prefer 3 RBT 1 Eagle, but to each his own
Total-2,044
zuriel45

#3 Post by zuriel45 »

Is it worth it to put the archmage on a dragon and drop the dragon mage and caddy all together? I can see why the archer's would be dropped, but i thought i need 3 core units for 2000+ points? I was thinking of keeping the noble off a mount, mainly cause i intended to put him in with the PGs and keep the spearelves close by giving them all the BSB boost, making what i would consider a rather stronger anvil.

As for banners and items, thank you for the suggestions, like i said i haven't really played a full game, so all of this is theoretical and i'll see how it works when i finally get a chance to play (damn physics/math double major). Thanks for the advice though, greatly appreciated.
Angel

#4 Post by Angel »

zuriel45 wrote:Is it worth it to put the archmage on a dragon[...]
It might be, but you will have to be very careful with him and equip him with care. The choice of lore is very important as well. I would recommend Life, Death and possibly Light (especially against daemons and undead) mainly for the healing spells. Death has nice synergy with a dragon-mounted caster as well.
Here is a link about the Archmage on Dragon that I dug up a couple of days ago. It contains some very useful advise if you want to go down that road.
zuriel45 wrote:I can see why the archer's would be dropped, but i thought i need 3 core units for 2000+ points?
As High Elves you only need 2 :D
zuriel45 wrote: I was thinking of keeping the noble off a mount, mainly cause i intended to put him in with the PGs and keep the spearelves close by giving them all the BSB boost, making what i would consider a rather stronger anvil.
Some people like to mount him anyway since mounted characters can join infantry. I personally don't do that but I can see the benefits.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
Bolt Thrower

#5 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I've run an Archmage on a moon dragon, and it rocked. But you do have to be extremely careful in the movement phase. Shooting will not make you happy.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
zuriel45

#6 Post by zuriel45 »

Here's a revised list. Hopefully this will still work out well.

Heroes

Archmage-225
+Lvl 4-35
+Moon Dragon-300
+Guardian Phoenix-25
+Silver Wand-10
+Dispel x 2-40
Total -635

Noble BSB-110
+Heavy Armor-4
+Barded Elven Steed-16
+Shield-2
+Lion Standard-25
Total-157

Core

Spearelves x 24 - 216

Spearelves x 23 - 207
+Sentinal-10
+Standard Bearer-10
Total-227

Special

Phoenix Guard x15-225
+FC-30
+Warbanner-20
Total-275

Dragon Prince x5-150

Dragon Prince x5-150

Lion Chariot-140

Rare

Repeating Bolt Thrower x2-200

Eagle x2-100

Total-2250

Again the main goal is a hammer and anvil style of play. The BSB would be housed in one of the units of spearelves, the other unit and the PGs play out as anvil, all within 12" of the spearelves with BSB. DPs and Lion Chariot flank, Dragon/Archmage will be used carefully to heard the army toward the anvil.

Also anyone know of a good picture of the Moon Dragon. I've seen a ton of photos of Sun Dragons and Star Dragons but not really many of the Moon Dragon.
Bolt Thrower

#7 Post by Bolt Thrower »

You gotta get the Banner of Sorcery in here somewhere. PG are usually a good unit for it.
zuriel45

#8 Post by zuriel45 »

What do i drop for the Banner, a Scroll?
Angel

#9 Post by Angel »

zuriel45 wrote:What do i drop for the Banner, a Scroll?
You could drop the Lions standard from the BSB, the warbanner from the pgs and the sentinel from the spears. That gives you the points to give the PGs a banner of sorcery.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

It's interesting but I would try to get more shooting in there. I'd also consider taking Seerstaff instead of Silver Wand. I'm also a bit suspicious of the Spear blocks without Fear protection.
zuriel45

#11 Post by zuriel45 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the standard bearer of spearelves can't carry a magic banner...so how would I give them fear protection?

Is banner of sorcery really that important? Or can I get away without it?if it's weak on shooting I could drop the block of spear for two blocks of ten archers each...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#12 Post by SpellArcher »

Under the 'First among Equals' rule, one Core unit can carry a magic standard.

Banner of Sorcery is very popular because generating D3 extra pool dice for 50pts is an absolute steal. Not to mention that it doesn't take up any character allowance. I'd consider dropping one Spear block down to a unit of 10 Archers. This then gives you points for magic items or to increase the PG to 20 perhaps.
zuriel45

#13 Post by zuriel45 »

This work any better? Kinda feel like my anvil becomes a little too weak but i guess i could use the eagles to break up the opposing army so it arrives in two parts (assuming the general would fall for that)...

Heroes

Archmage-225
+Lvl 4-35
+Moon Dragon-300
+Golden Crown of Atrazar-40
+Silver Wand-10
+Dispel x 2-40
Total -650

Noble BSB-110
+Great Weapon - 6
+Armor of Caldor -25
Total-141

Core

Archers x10 - 110

Spearelves x 24 - 216
+Standard Bearer-10
+Lion Standard - 25
Total-251

Special

Phoenix Guard x19-285
+FC-30
+Banner of Sorcery-40
Total-355

Dragon Prince x5-150

Dragon Prince x5-150

Lion Chariot-140

Rare

Repeating Bolt Thrower x2-200

Eagle x2-100

Total-2247

Edited for the below poster. Any better?
Last edited by zuriel45 on Sat May 08, 2010 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kethnae

#14 Post by Kethnae »

You can't have more than one Guardian Phoenix in your list. I'd drop the one the Noble has. With the points freed up you can get the Spears a musician and add in the rest of the cost for Banner of Sorcery (its a couple points shy).
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#15 Post by SpellArcher »

You are good to go!

:)
Bolt Thrower

#16 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Looking solid! I would love to see a battle report next time you field this army.
zuriel45

#17 Post by zuriel45 »

haha, don't get too excited. I really only have the pieces from the battalion box + 10 swordmasters. Nothing needed for the army of this scale. I've put together the shopping cart for this, comes out to a nasty $400 (though most of that comes from the Dragon Princes and PGs, i like painting metal better, but its an expensive opinion), course i could probably get a lot of it at reduced cost from ebay...

Quick question, Whats the deal with the Imrik on Dragon miniature compared to the High elf lord on dragon miniature. I know Imrik is metal and the other one is plastic. But besides cosmetic differences is there a play difference, because i have no recollection of Imrik ever being mentioned in the Army Book...

I promise to field a battle report when i finally play, though this might be months from now :\
Bolt Thrower

#18 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I think Imrik on dragon is from a previous addition. I personally like the look of the new dragon set. Looks much more fierce to me. If you liked the Imrik model though you could probably play it and have no issues, I would think.

As far as the cost of models goes, there are a couple places to get some discounts. On ebay there's a seller (MacPac51) who my buddy has purchased from. New items at a discount with free shipping. I don't think he ships in the box though to save on shipping costs to offer it free. Link to his store: http://stores.ebay.com/MacPac-51_High-E ... ec0Q2em322

I've also heard good things about the war store and CCG Armory as well. Both offer 20% off I believe.
mmirch54

#19 Post by mmirch54 »

List looks great! Also, I have had great success with CCG Armory.