2250 points List

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Le Schoch

2250 points List

#1 Post by Le Schoch »

Arch Mage
Vambraces
Barded Steed
Amulet of Light
Lv 4
Staff for Choosing Spells

(Set up to protect him and to ride with the Dragon Princes, Basic idea is Blast, Charge, Repeat)

Dragon Mage
2x Scrolls
Silver Wand
Lv 2

Noble
BSB
Standard of Balance
Dragon Armour
Lance
Shield
Barded Steed

20 Spears
full command
Lion Standard

10 Archers

Eagle

Eagle

15 Phoenix Guard
Full Command
3d6 Enchanted Item
Banner of Sorcery

5 Dragon Princes
Full command
Helm for the Champion
Banner of Ellyrion

8 Reavers
bows and spears

5 Shadows Warriors

Total is Just below 2250 from Memory

Now i know im not taking any bolt throwers and no Big Dragon but i enjoy playing with this list due to its seeming fragility. The Arch Mage is usually with the Dragon Princes but i keep the Reavers near by usually as a bit of an escape for the mage when i need to be blasting from afar instead of in combat it really depends on who and what i play against.

My Usual Enemies are
Dark elves with 2 Hydras and Dark Dragon

Lizardmen With EOTG another Steggie or Two and a lot of Razordons

And

Daemons and Vampires

So any tips to fine tune this list or suggestions to just throw it out would be welcome.

Thanks People
Dreadlord Blooay

Re: 2250 points List

#2 Post by Dreadlord Blooay »

Arch Mage
Vambraces
This really, shouldn't be on your archmage. It doesn't help him... in any way really. Give him something useful, like ring of fury.
Barded Steed
Amulet of Light
Again, doesn't add much to the arch mage, and if you really want those magical attacks, a champion can take this item.
Lv 4
Staff for Choosing Spells

(Set up to protect him and to ride with the Dragon Princes, Basic idea is Blast, Charge, Repeat)

Dragon Mage
2x Scrolls
Silver Wand
Lv 2

Noble
BSB
Standard of Balance
Personal opinion is, if you go with a magical standard on your bsb, let it be an expensive one your units cannot take by themselves.
Dragon Armour
Lance
Shield
Barded Steed

20 Spears
My favorite way to put in spears is in groups of 21, 7 wide and in three ranks. But again, just personal opinion which I have had some success with.
full command
Lion Standard

10 Archers

Eagle

Eagle

15 Phoenix Guard
Full Command
3d6 Enchanted Item
Banner of Sorcery

5 Dragon Princes
One more prince pretty please? Your gonna take a shot, and then having 5 princes and a bsb when you crash into your enemies lines is nice.
Full command
Helm for the Champion
Banner of Ellyrion

8 Reavers
Too many reavers, could be points spent elsewhere. 5 reavers does the job just as good as 8, and fast cav should always have mus.
bows and spears

5 Shadows Warriors
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

It's an interesting list but it looks short of tools to me, especially considering the hard lists you are facing. How do you tend to do against these? How do you take out monsters?

Your magic is obviously powerful. Do you tend to face items like Ring of Hotek or Slann with Becalming Cogitation? The Archmage is very radical, I've seen nothing like it before. Do you find he survives Ok in combat or do you have to be very selective about it?

Your unit picks look pretty standard and good to me, though 8 Reavers is unorthodox. Brave going without RBT though. They are an important way of keeping a lid on monsters. Your only unit with serious killing power is the DP's, so if magic lets you down I suspect you may get short of options?
dabber
Tactician

#4 Post by dabber »

Perhaps I do not understand, but I don't think your plan works. The DPs are not a powerful unit. Not enough of them, not enough CR, not enough killing power. They cannot charge anything worth significant points, especially when joined by the Archmage. In most cases, your enemy will be thrilled to have them with Archmage in combat, because that will typically stop spellcasting anything that needs LOS. I see no conceivable benefit to joining the Archmage with the DPs.
Bolt Thrower

#5 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I'd like to hear about the survivability of your AM. It is an intriguing prospect of equipping him to try and be a battle mage. If you are going to go down that road, I'd consider one of two things:

1. Drop the amulet of light and give him the Sword of Might. May as well try to increase his hitting power.
2. Drop amulet and seerstaff to choose Blade of Sea Gold. This way even with his bad combat stats he may actually hurt someone.

Either way it's chancy, but you are definitely thinking outside the box which I always applaud.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves